PDA

View Full Version : landlord problem

calgarygts
03-21-2006, 12:02 PM
Hi guys,

I recently bought a condo and had to break the lease I had on a rental apartment in sunnyside. I had to pay a 500$ penalty for breaking the lease, which is in the contract and is fine by me. I also had to pay 144$ for advertising to get new tenants, which is in the contract and is fine as well. The problem is that I know he didn't spend that much and I can't get receipts out of the guy for it. He also charged me 75$ for cleaning even though the new tenants moved in within half an hour of me leaving. I also talked to them after they moved in and they told me he cleaned nothing. As it was cleaner when I moved out then when I moved in I'm feeling pretty ripped off. I just want to know what the next move for me is with a landlord who's not cooperating. I know it's not much money but it's not about that anymore, I would rather lose another 500$ on fees than see him take that extra money for nothing after the way he's acted towards me.
If anyone knows what I can do next, please let me know.

Weapon_R
03-21-2006, 12:14 PM
Nothing you can do. It's in your contract that you were to pay a penalty and advertising fees. A single ad in the Calgary Herald can cost $90 per day, so he could have easily spent that much and probably even more.

Also, there is little you can do to prove that he didnt clean the place up. The 'cleaning' can mean anything from a vacuum to a shampoo.

calgarygts
03-21-2006, 03:19 PM
I guess if that's the case I'll just have to dish out a couple hundred dollars worth of pain next time I play him in a soccer game. You've gotta love it when you really hate someone and you play them in a sport. It's basically an avenue for sweet sweet revenge with no real repercussions.

doanashk
03-21-2006, 03:44 PM
Spoken like a true jock! Kidding

Ya, no you are hooped my friend. I would have questioned the advertising money before siging the contract, or at least negotiated on the price of advertisement. A herald ad costs $20 or something aorunt there.

Sorry about that bud!

Altezza
03-21-2006, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by doanashk
Spoken like a true jock! Kidding

Ya, no you are hooped my friend. I would have questioned the advertising money before siging the contract, or at least negotiated on the price of advertisement. A herald ad costs $20 or something aorunt there.

I can tell you for certainty that ads in the herald run a lot more than that.

HRD2PLZ
03-21-2006, 03:59 PM
:werd: No kidding... I am pretty sure I pay about $40-ish for a 2 day ad with 5 - 6 lines. I would have to check my Herald statements though. Don't think you can get anything in the Herald for $20

calgarygts
03-21-2006, 04:10 PM
It's not so much the advertising that bothers me, although I'm sure he's inflated that as he had someone in there immediately (had three viewings in one day), but the 75$ cleaning fee makes me crazy. He didn't do anything, I'm absolutely certain of that. If there's no recourse for this, then you're damn straight I'm going to act like a true jock and knock his head off at soccer. The great thing about that is I'm about a million times faster and stronger than him, and for the troubles he's caused me (and from what I've heard many others too) he's in for a real treat. It would be worth it to be kicked out of the game.
Nothing like being an immature ass:)

Weapon_R
03-21-2006, 04:10 PM
I paid $90 for a public announcement ad that ran for a single day, about .075"x1". I imagine that they have different prices for home rentals and such but I can't see it being less than $40-50/day. Given that many ads have to run for a few days before a tenant is found, that is definately a reasonable advertising price.

calgarygts
03-21-2006, 04:19 PM
If it's 144$ for one day of advertising then whatever. He's still stealing 75$ from me for 'cleaning'. He's a piece of dirt, no way around it and everyone who's left there thinks the same thing. I thought he might treat me a little better since I work with his best friend and we were going to play soccer on the same team this summer but I was wrong.

gofastmerc
03-21-2006, 05:50 PM
Next time read the contract.

Sounds like your getting screwed on the cleaning part, though.

Life will go on....