PDA

View Full Version : Acoustic or Electric guitar

Foz
03-21-2006, 01:02 PM
which one is easier to play? What's the learning curve?

A_3
03-21-2006, 01:07 PM
Electric is easier to play. And the learning curve depends on how dedicated you are to playing.

Foz
03-21-2006, 01:09 PM
I've got an acoustic but haven't played that often. Just a few chords and some intros of some songs.

But taking a look at the electric, the sound from them just makes me want to :hitit: :drool: compared to an acoustic.

I heard the frets on the electric are easier to play as your fingers don't need to be pushed down as hard (hence the calluses).

PraviYugosloven
03-21-2006, 01:14 PM
if u wanna be able to play really good learn on acoustic if you wanna learn crazy rock stuff like black sabbath or led zepplin use electric.

TimG
03-21-2006, 01:15 PM
acoustics tend to use a heavier gauge string which in the beginning will hurt your fingers until you build the calluses.

The action on an electric is much lower and they usually use a lighter gauge string.

Classical guitars are nice because they use nylong strings and have thier own unique sound, too.

89coupe
03-21-2006, 01:47 PM
I would think an Acoustic would be easier to learn on because the finger placement is larger (as in more room), or am I out to lunch?

Lex350
03-21-2006, 03:14 PM
It depends on the set up of the guitar. Most people don't bother getting a guitar set up when they buy it. If you do, either one of them should play nice.

Nufy
03-21-2006, 03:20 PM
Start on an Acoustic,

Once you learn on that you will pick up the Electric much more easily.

The acoustic is more portable as well.

As Rotten said, get it set up when you buy it.

There is nothing worse that fret buzz when you are trying to strum or pick on a guitar.

Easier on the fingers as well.

finboy
03-21-2006, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Nufy
Start on an Acoustic,

Once you learn on that you will pick up the Electric much more easily.

The acoustic is more portable as well.

As Rotten said, get it set up when you buy it.

There is nothing worse that fret buzz when you are trying to strum or pick on a guitar.

Easier on the fingers as well.

acoustics are usually harder on fingers as you are using a thicker guage string, making it harder for bends, etc.

but i do agree, acoustic first, i played one for a year before i got an electric.

as per learning curve, you can play pretty much all the same songs on either guitar, so its up to you how fast you learn :dunno:

three.eighteen.
03-21-2006, 04:04 PM
electric is easier to play, but a nice introductory priced acoustic ~500 is much nicer than if you spend 500 on electric gear to start. ie squier strat pack

finboy
03-21-2006, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
electric is easier to play, but a nice introductory priced acoustic ~500 is much nicer than if you spend 500 on electric gear to start. ie squier strat pack

:werd:

for $500 you can get a pretty nice acoustic, an electric can be MUCH more. my mid 80's epi lp was around $400 usd alone w/o strap, case, amp, wires, etc. (granted it had new pickups). just some food for thought

TEAMFaint
03-22-2006, 05:28 PM
If your just learning, definately pick up an Acoustic guitar. If you have no playing experience and just want something that you can learn on but can still use in the later years, find a Tradition acoustic guitar, they go for about $120 @ Axemusic and they play beautifully. Of course if your just a hardcore rocker and want to start up a band go with an electric..but if you wanna learn things more technical to "woo" the ladies, pick up the acoustic ;)

asp integra
03-22-2006, 07:41 PM
electric

yellowsnow
03-23-2006, 10:53 AM
buy my SG
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=122754