PDA

View Full Version : Random shaving question

soupey
03-21-2006, 08:06 PM
i dont know about many of you guys, but when i shave the frontside of my neck, its like i have tons of little shave bumps, ive looked around on the internet and apparently its a common issue with ethnic men because of our hair naturally being more curly...therefore there are hairs that curl under the skin and cause bumps...some of which get big and infected...

im wondering if any of you guys get the same thing...and if there is anything you can get over the counter to help reduce or elliminate it...

mikey_mo_love
03-21-2006, 08:57 PM
dip a cloth in warm water, and hold it against the front of your neck for a couple minutes.

snowboard
03-21-2006, 08:58 PM
lotionnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
it works for me, like specific after shave lotion or just vasoline?

PS its called razor burn i think haha.. unles your getting something else

arian_ma
03-21-2006, 09:25 PM
^^ lol no no it's something completely different man.
It's when hairs don't grow out of the skin, and they get infected and look like gigantic zits, I forget what it's called.

soupey
03-21-2006, 09:31 PM
^correct

basically its when ur hair is naturally curly and therefore facial hair grows at an angle...if u shave...u leave pretty thick hair with sharp ends...and they end up staying in ur skin...causing bumps...and sometimes tehy get infected and turn red (prettymuch ends up looking like a zit)

snowboard
03-21-2006, 09:33 PM
ingrown hairs

eb0i
03-21-2006, 09:45 PM
tweezers? probably would hurt like hell.

hash
03-21-2006, 09:53 PM
shave along with the grain

ninjak84
03-21-2006, 10:06 PM
Hey I use Men's Aftershave Gel from the BodyShop. Works wonders for me.
It comes in this little grey bottle. Expensive, but it lasts a long time. Plus, you get an excuse to chat with hotties that work there without looking like a tool :)

habsfan
03-21-2006, 10:10 PM
i've got the same thing, every now and then if they get big enough i can squeeze em open and yank out a half inch long hair. no idea how to prevent it tho

s dime
03-21-2006, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by hash
shave along with the grain

I suggest this as well, It used to happen to me and I notice the irritation / red bumps are far fewer or gone altogether if you shave with the direction of hair growth. :thumbsup:

girlSTAR
03-21-2006, 10:23 PM
shave with the grain it'll reduce the ingrowns. only solution i have for you because i also shave.....my legs and stuff...HA!

EK 2.0
03-21-2006, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by girlSTAR
shave with the grain it'll reduce the ingrowns. only solution i have for you because i also shave.....my legs and stuff...HA!

hey, how YOU doin'??;) Name's Arif...pleasure to meet ya...

s dime
03-21-2006, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

hey, how YOU doin'??;) Name's Arif...pleasure to meet ya...

what a guy, that took exactly 1 minute! :thumbsup: :eek: :poosie:

dragonone
03-21-2006, 10:29 PM
biotherm anti-razor burn
just try every single one they have in the bay (clarins, biotherm etc.)
i hate to think that the more it costs the better it works but i've moved from gilette->biothem->clarins ... etc. and my skin is less sensitive now

teknical
03-21-2006, 10:29 PM
LOL, hilarious...

shave with the grain, always have, and it always works well with me. What kind of razor/gel foam are you using?

soupey
03-21-2006, 10:34 PM
^using the gillette fusion gel at the moment,

girlSTAR
03-21-2006, 10:47 PM
I know some guys may think its unmanly to use any beauty products but if you really want to reduce ingrowns and have a smooth-like-a-baby's-bottom skin then you need to use creams with Beta hydroxy acids. Also, start exfoliating your skin prior to shaving because this will soften up your skin and remove dead skin cell. Electric razors work better than those 2-3 blade manual razors.

Sometimes its better to ask a female since shaving is a must-do.

Oh, I am doing just fine:)

soupey
03-21-2006, 10:50 PM
hmm thanks for the info...any actual products i should for that have the beta hydroxy acids...and any specific exfoliaters?...

Si_FlyGuy
03-21-2006, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by s dime

what a guy, that took exactly 1 minute! :thumbsup: :eek: :poosie:

That's 1 minute longer than his average. I think he's having an off day.:rofl:

I dunno if I would trust a girl's opinion on what to use for shaving your face...unless they have a lot of experience shaving upstairs.:nut:

Alex_FORD
03-21-2006, 11:03 PM
My wife used to have to spend about 3 sessions per week, picking at my ingrown hairs with a sharp set of tweezers( buy them at Active Electronics). Also, around the same time, I switched to an electric razor.

After having problems for years, it's finally cleared up. Now my wife doesn't need to look at my neck. i'm not sure what cured it for me, it could be the electric razor once I got used to the razor....it has a tendency to slightly tug at my hairs as it cuts, maybe thats the secret.

jdmakkord
03-21-2006, 11:09 PM
Both american crew, and neutragena make great mens shaving products. From facial scrubs>shave creams>aftershave lotions.

EK 2.0
03-22-2006, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by girlSTAR
Oh, I am doing just fine:)

Great, great...I just wanna thank you for taking the time to enlighten us men on the do's and don't's of shaving. I mean a lot of them have issues in using women products you know?? Just their insecurities...

Originally posted by jdmakkord
Both american crew, and neutragena make great mens shaving products. From facial scrubs>shave creams>aftershave lotions.

Werrrrrd UP!! to American Crew...I switch between those and Skintimates shave gels...

Phy
03-22-2006, 10:55 AM
Actually, I don't think electric razors shave quite as close as manual ones that are right up against your skin, maybe it leaves enough of the hair so that it doesn't curl under?

TimG
03-22-2006, 11:50 AM
Make sure you're using a sharp razor. I find that when my Mach 3 gets dull (after 3-5 shaves) I start getting ingrown hairs.

Also use a good shaving cream. When i switched from Gillette gel to Aveeno, 90% of my ingrowns and razor burn went away. The warm cloth on your face for a few minutes also helps a lot.

joyridder
03-22-2006, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by TimG
Make sure you're using a sharp razor. I find that when my Mach 3 gets dull (after 3-5 shaves) I start getting ingrown hairs.

As a girl myself I find that using a sharp razor helps huge. I also use hair conditioner, as well and using a good moisturizer right out of the shower which seems to help with bumps and razor burn on the legs....:angel:

/////AMG
03-22-2006, 12:42 PM
I use Loreal Paris 'men experts'. It works great.

When I used to shave then take a shower, like 40 mins later my face would be so dry (it would be white!). I've been using this loreal stuff for about a month or two, shaves so smooth and skin never goes dry. :thumbsup:

nate007
03-22-2006, 02:35 PM
Aveno shave gel and Body Shop aftershave and face protector do the trick for me. And if you must shave against the grain to get that even smoother feeling, shave with it first, then rinse, re-lather and shave against it.

I use a Schick Quattro, but am considering trying the Fusion. I switched from Mach 3 to Quattro and it helped a lot.

soupey
03-22-2006, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by joyridder

As a girl myself I find that using a sharp razor helps huge. I also use hair conditioner, as well and using a good moisturizer right out of the shower which seems to help with bumps and razor burn on the legs....:angel:

somehow arif missed that one, so ill fill in

how YOU doing? thank you so very much for replying=)

haha

well i prettymuch grew a bit of gruff, tried to wash it a LOT with soaps, cleansers, and kept it pretty moisturized with nivea soft...then shaved it with a electric shaver....but it didnt really do a great job, so i used the mach 3 right after...skin feels so smoooooth haha, thanks a ton guys and girls

EK 2.0
03-22-2006, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by joyridder

Next time you shave...call me I could use a few pointers...;)

Originally posted by soupey
somehow arif missed that one, so ill fill in

how YOU doing? thank you so very much for replying=)

hey, hey back off...ARIF is the e-mack around hurr...haha