PDA

View Full Version : Boston Accoustics 10.5LF

SplineZ
03-19-2003, 06:49 PM
Anybody have any experiance with these subs? Its stuffed into a 0.5cu ft sealed box. This sub needs SOO much power to sound good. I already killed an amp tring to power it :) (sony xplod 760W.. she xploded supid @#&($(&*#$) Right now I have a POS pioneer amp powering the thing, and its not very loud.. doesnt have very good bass extension UNTIL I push like 350W into it.. the current pioneercrap puts out 280W@4ohms.

Anyway I can get this thing to extend further (deeper bass), and maybe play a tiny bit louder? Space is at a premium, and yes I am lookin for a new amp :)

JZ

KoukiS14
03-20-2003, 07:14 PM
Nice sub choice. I am still a Boston Fan but have moved on to better things.

I had a pair of 12.5lf running off of a Soundstream Rubicon 500.2.
It hit real loud. 135db IASCA and 142.7 outlaw in a Nissan Hardbody Kingcab.

So you are looking for an amp to power this sub correct? What is your price range?

I wanna help!!

SplineZ
03-20-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by NismoS14
Nice sub choice. I am still a Boston Fan but have moved on to better things.

I had a pair of 12.5lf running off of a Soundstream Rubicon 500.2.
It hit real loud. 135db IASCA and 142.7 outlaw in a Nissan Hardbody Kingcab.

So you are looking for an amp to power this sub correct? What is your price range?

I wanna help!!

well, lets say I'll spend whatever is needed to power the sub properly :) But i'd like to keep it under 1k..

Right now the sub is running at 4ohms, but I am thinkin about adding another sub behind my drivers seat aswell.. and then I'd run'em at 2ohms... once i find an enclosure I like

Are there any specific brands I should look at? I was EXTREMELY happy with my MTX blue thunder pro 250XD amp before it was stollen. It only powered a pair of Precision Power C10's, I have a feeling it wouldnt power this monster.

Im thinkin about experimenting with some other sealed boxes, i just have to get my lazy ass back into the garage to make some! :)

What size of box did you use? The 12's require some more air, but im sure I can go from there..

Thnx!

JZ

jdmakkord
03-21-2003, 12:32 AM
those bostons love a small sealed box. They do need lots of power to move em though.

KoukiS14
03-21-2003, 12:19 PM
Ok SplineZ,

I got a couple of recommendations for amplifiers.

Xtant A6001 $650+tax
MTX 6500D $550 + tax

Either of these should kick ass! Add a second sub and you are gonna wake the neighbors 5 blocks away.

These are here in Calgary. If you want to come down I can help you out further. Or we can arrange for it to be shipped out to you.

Feel free to pm me on this matter.

Back to your question.. I ran my pair in a sealed box. 2.1cf to be exact. Each 12" requires 1.0cf but i made it a tad bigger. I had very tight and clean bass but when you turned it up it got silly :nut: so loud and still clean. Boston Pro Series are quite accurate subwoofers. You could play with the volume of the box a little but I wouldn't recommend going to far from the original spec. Also do not use anything other than sealed for these drivers. I have chatted with the Boston guys and they have told me things. To make a long story short...do not run anything other than sealed!

Also do you have a cap and line driver?? I find these to be crucial in going for all out performance.

Any more questions??

SplineZ
03-21-2003, 03:08 PM
No cap just yet.. I havent had an amp powerful enough to justify one. I will in the future NEED one.. probly 1fd or so..

Im not quite sure what you mean by "Line driver"

Right now the sub is in a box thats a TAD bit bigger than 0.5cf, its made of 3/4" MDF, is VERY rigid and Sealed best I can tell. This is what boston recommends for the sub. Should I Stay with those numbers?

Adding a second sub would require a little bit of fabrication on my part. Cutting away of some of the firewall, etc. I will do it, its just a matter of when :)

There is one thing about caps I dont understand. It also has to do with some amps. I see quite a few that are rated at 14.4VDC, your typical 12VDC system doesnt put out more than 13.6VDC.. Do these caps make up for the difference somehow? I seen some caps that are rated at 24VDC.. Is it giving the amp 24VDC? or is it only give what the amp needs? I know that caps are there to "Stiffen" the power source, so when large ammounts of power are needed it doesnt pull it off your battery, just out of the cap.. But this 14.4V, 24V thing has always confused me..

JZ

KoukiS14
03-21-2003, 05:25 PM
Your box sounds fine to me. Did you silicone the seams on the inside? This will help ensure a better seal. I had made mine 3/4"thick too but due to the heaviness of our subs i made the top plate of the box 1 1/2" thick.

As for the cap..it only provides added current for a split second. Basically when the amp needs it for a big bass bump. I wouldn't worry bout the voltage thing. Its confusing and not real essential. Just add one and hear/feel the difference. 1 Farad is good for a 1000W RMS.

Line driver. This unit increases the signal voltage being sent to the amplifier. A cleaner signal to the amp makes the amp work less to acheive the same output.

SplineZ
03-21-2003, 06:04 PM
Ok... I shouldnt really need a line driver, my headunit puts out 5v on all 3 outputs.. What voltage should I be looking at? I havent seen many decks put out more..

I didnt use silicone, I used a indoor/outdoor window sealent, it doesnt dry as rubbery as silicone, Its harder and stronger it seems. It is sealed.

Looks like ill be in the market for a 1fd cap and an amp :)

thnx!

JZ

bol
03-21-2003, 06:20 PM
It doesn't put out 5V all the time, which is the point of line drivers.

I don't have one but I don't need one, some systems do however.

KoukiS14
03-21-2003, 06:54 PM
you should be ok..if your deck says 5v preout its most likely 2.5VRMS. Most line drivers are about 8VRMS. Anyway its just a suggestion.

Ive gone the whole nineyards this time round. Im just speaking from experience.

Want me to hook you up with an amp?

bol
03-21-2003, 06:55 PM
do you work at an audio shop or something nismo?

KoukiS14
03-21-2003, 07:01 PM
no im just tryin to help people out...

Why, do i sound like a salesman?

bol
03-21-2003, 07:27 PM
no
hookups are good though :D

Roaring G60
03-21-2003, 08:33 PM
Yes line drivers the most underestimated thing!!!! very key. or you could get you HU worked over buy panasonic a achieve 9.23 vrms. RockFords power BDs series is fanomial! (145.3 w/kicker L7s12 @2ohms, RF bd 1000.1a(yes "a"), 0.73 cu/ft.)

SplineZ
03-22-2003, 03:51 AM
haha. If I had some cash right now, I would definatly say yea.. Im just doing some research for a "future" investment :)

I just got a new job and im getting used to the pay periods.. thnx for the offer tho! I might contact you later to see what you got ! :D

Thnx for everybody's help in this subject.

JZ