PDA

View Full Version : temp agencies????

t-im
03-22-2006, 12:13 PM
Anyone here ever been to a temp agency??

Looking for information regarding this one specifically: "Express Personnel"

http://expresspersonnel.com/

They called me after I applied for some job, want me to go in (the usual testing crap) and without thinking I said i'd come in today (around 2).. but i've been told to be weary of these places.

Anyone have any opinions? Especially Express?

Thanks

teggypimp95
03-22-2006, 12:20 PM
i was with about 6 temp agencies about a year and a half ago. i signed up with all 6 at once to see who was the best. Mark Staffing blew them all out of the water. They gave me the most work out of any of them, and were the nicest and easyest to deal with too. i have refured a few people to them and they have all seemed to be impressed.

PLease pm me if u decide to go with them. thanks!

joyridder
03-22-2006, 12:30 PM
^^^They are good I hear as well....(Mark Staffing)

Depending on what type of work your looking for ie) temp, perm, contract...I would recomend http://www.webmaxim.com/Max_Admin.htm
last summer they got me a better position. I went from making less than 27K to now making over 40K in less than one yr with a great company....

t-im
03-22-2006, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the info guys..

I know I have nothing to loose by showing but I still don't know if it's worth the time...and some people have warned me about temp agencies sooo I dunno..

skandalz
03-22-2006, 02:09 PM
i'm w/ marks too, nothing but good things to say about them! :thumbsup:

Shaolin
03-22-2006, 02:25 PM
are we talking about temp agencies or employment agencies? I've dealt with Kelly Services, David Aplin, Officetemp, Accountemp, Robert Half, Adecco, Bernard Haldane and Manpower.

Never heard of Mark Staffing or Express Personnel, but I've had good experiences with all of the ones I mentioned within the past 7 years EXCEPT Bernard Haldane.. In all of those places I've found you do the usual test, and if they think they can make money temping you out then you'll go in for another interview.

Oh and for Bernard Haldane, don't even bother going to those guys if you ever get a call from them.. They called me for an interview about 3 years ago and it was a complete waste of time.. I did a little bit of research on them before I went and figure might as well check it out.. and they pretty much want me to pay them a fee so they can "coach" me and they claim to have these "niche" job markets that only they have access to.. what a load of shit.. I don't know how that company stays in business.

t-im
03-22-2006, 02:28 PM
ops, employment agency..I think...mehh..checking it out soon...i might as well i suppose.....

Shaolin
03-22-2006, 02:33 PM
nothing to lose man.. see what they can offer you.. they look legit..

t-im
03-22-2006, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin
nothing to lose man.. see what they can offer you.. they look legit..

haha thanks....i'm not gonna put too much effort into this cause I know I can find a job on my own..I just don't wanna not show up if I promised them..

~Leah~
03-23-2006, 07:51 AM
I am working through Express right now. Greg and Angela are both awesome (I'm working with Angela with my current assignment). The only difference with Express is that they deal mostly with financial companies, as that is what Greg and Angela's backgrounds are in. I've had no problems with them at all, and they have been more than accomodating to any of my requests. Nothing bad to say about them at all.

Got a call from Mark Staffing, and I'm supposed to go in for testing with them soon. Not sure if I am though, because the company Express set me up with 2 weeks ago is already offering me permanent full time status ASAP.

Godfuader
03-23-2006, 08:18 AM
MARK Staffing for sure. Got jobs with Coca-Cola, Calgary Flames, Conoco and other pretty nice temps. Talk to Raegan when you get there...shes awesome.

'Vic-Si
03-23-2006, 09:49 PM
How about AccountTemps going there monday for testing (first time) not sure what to expect... I'm looking for accounting/financial work to build expereice...

As for that Bernard Haldane place... I remeber seeing a hidden camera documentary type thing from CBC, they went in and they asked for a ridiculous amount of money for them to teach you "secrets of the trade, introduce you to important contacts, build up your resume and find the perfect job....all for the price of $XX,XXX.XX somethin stupid. Poor people got ripped to the max and didnt get jack out it....

so anyways, Account Temps....yay or nay..whats the testing?
Basic Excel, data entry? Any accoutning questions

Godfuader
03-23-2006, 10:03 PM
All the temp agencies will make you do a typing test, data entry test. At Mark i told them that i want a finance job, and she gave me an accounting quiz. These tests actually do end up taking some time so plan accordingly.

Shaolin
03-23-2006, 10:10 PM
Accountemps is a reputable company, I believe they're a division of Robert Half.. I went through them, Officeteam and Adecco throughout my time at the university..

I've done data entry tests, excel, powerpoint, word tests, matching tests, mailroom tests.. some of those test had nothing to do with the jobs I was interested in, but you have to do them anyways..

Si_FlyGuy
03-24-2006, 12:14 AM
I broke the speed record at Robert Half/Accountemps a few years ago when i was just starting out. :nut: I've been with Randstad and Financial Staffing, both pretty decent. I actually went to one of those Bernard Haldine things, I remember the guy giving me a huge referral book to look at, and saying how everyone needs a life coach. What a load of bull. Either way, everyone else up there covered what I wanted to say.
:thumbsup:

Shaolin
03-24-2006, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy
I broke the speed record at Robert Half/Accountemps a few years ago when i was just starting out. :nut: I've been with Randstad and Financial Staffing, both pretty decent. I actually went to one of those Bernard Haldine things, I remember the guy giving me a huge referral book to look at, and saying how everyone needs a life coach. What a load of bull. Either way, everyone else up there covered what I wanted to say.
:thumbsup:

hahaha, I can't believe I'm going to say this.. I broke the speed record at Manpower when I did their test.. It's not really something I'm proud of :rofl:, but thought I'd mention it since it was brought up. :nut:

I still find Robert Half the best out of all of them, but that's because they do permanent placements.. But out of all agencies I find nothing beats word of mouth or buddy referral.

Si_FlyGuy
03-24-2006, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin

hahaha, I can't believe I'm going to say this.. I broke the speed record at Manpower when I did their test.. It's not really something I'm proud of :rofl:, but thought I'd mention it since it was brought up. :nut:

I still find Robert Half the best out of all of them, but that's because they do permanent placements.. But out of all agencies I find nothing beats word of mouth or buddy referral.

Uber geeks of the world unit!:rofl:

Keep in mind that it's the actual agent that matters.
Btw..Friday Personnel sucked. The lady went on vacation a day after interviewing me (without assigning me to someone else), and called about a month later to "follow up" on me.