PDA

View Full Version : Rolling back odometer

yeerj
03-23-2006, 11:36 AM
Where can I report someone who is selling their vechicle but has rolled back the odometer.

I found out that the odometer has been rolled back from a carfax report. The owner of the vehicle is not disclosing the information.

Thanks

RickDaTuner
03-23-2006, 11:37 AM
po po.. POLICE!?

EstoMax
03-23-2006, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
po po.. POLICE!?

ding ding ding ding!

3G
03-23-2006, 12:39 PM
RCMP would be a good start or AMVIC if they are a dealer

robpark
03-23-2006, 12:42 PM
Keep in mind that Carfax is an extremely flawed service whose Canadian records are fairly poor... use it only as a guideline... Now if there is corroborating evidence that the odo has been rolled back, then police would probably be a good place to start.

Nufy
03-23-2006, 12:42 PM
Police won't care...

You could try though...

Report them to AMVIC.

I had the same issue an few years back with a Toyota Truck I was gonna buy.

Some car place on Ogden Road.

Called Toyota to run the VIN for Warranty recalls and such and was told;

Yead the last recorded service was at 230XXX km... in Ontario

Unfortunately the truck read 178,000 and change for km's.

I told the owbers about it but they refused to listen to me.

So I reported it to AMVIC.org.

Don't know if anything came from it.

Good Luck....

yeerj
03-23-2006, 01:26 PM
Thanks for all the reponse.

I decided not to pursue this vehicle a few weeks ago based on another VIN check that I had done through the AMA. This check classified the car as not road worthy.

However, I decided to run the VIN via carfax anyways and found out more poor information about this vehicle.

I just don't want someone to buy this car based on the way it is being advertised.

me&you
03-23-2006, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Nufy
Police won't care...

You could try though...

Report them to AMVIC.

I had the same issue an few years back with a Toyota Truck I was gonna buy.

Some car place on Ogden Road.

Called Toyota to run the VIN for Warranty recalls and such and was told;

Yead the last recorded service was at 230XXX km... in Ontario

Unfortunately the truck read 178,000 and change for km's.

I told the owbers about it but they refused to listen to me.

So I reported it to AMVIC.org.

Don't know if anything came from it.

Good Luck....

Nothing probably did. Just another example of AMVIC being nothing more than a bureaucratic sack of shit.

Back on topic... try AMVIC and call the cops.

heavyD
03-23-2006, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by yeerj
Where can I report someone who is selling their vechicle but has rolled back the odometer.

I found out that the odometer has been rolled back from a carfax report. The owner of the vehicle is not disclosing the information.

Thanks

If the automobile is in a publication such as the Autotrader you may want to let them know that the vehicle is a fraud.

Xtrema
03-23-2006, 01:56 PM
^ Good idea.

And once confirmed, post the seller's info here and may be even the VIN so no one else fall into the same trap.

yeerj
03-23-2006, 03:35 PM
I've contacted the investigations department at the AMVIC. I'll keep you posted on what comes of this.

Kobe
03-23-2006, 07:31 PM
curious was kind of car?

googe
03-23-2006, 08:37 PM
is it a private sale? if so, i dont believe AMVIC has any jurisdiction?

rahim
03-23-2006, 08:44 PM
i checked out a car that was posted on beyond, odo read 15x xxx, carfax said the car 330 xxx in 2002, i just never called him back, assumed there was nothing i could do, has anyone heard of AMVIC actually doing anything?

HTN SWCHS
03-23-2006, 08:48 PM
blackmail him to sell you the car for 200$ or else your going to amvic :D

what kind of fine is in place if hes caught??

Alpine Autowerks
03-24-2006, 12:02 AM
AMVIC

www.amvic.org

jdm_cvc05
03-24-2006, 12:18 AM
Some cars like mine read 87,000 KMS but its truely 130,000kms but iam truthful about its records, i transered a JDM speedo consol thats why but maybe the speedo broke, or even odometer and now it doesnt work and has stopped at the low kms.. but yes if the carfax sais higher that means it once read that.

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-24-2006, 12:21 AM
^^^^
Tru dat
some cars swap in new consoles... some hit potholes (inline6turbo's skyline for sale) and some are rolled back... you should definitely do a little more research into the car before you run off. Double check that its stock, and it still moves...

yeerj
03-29-2006, 10:39 AM
BUYER BEWARE!!!

The AMVIC has just opened a file on this case. They have told me that this is organized crime and is becoming a huge problem in Calgary.

Apparently the sellers are always Eastern European and have a story about moving back to Europe as to why they are selling the car. They never seem to have a permanent address so they are very difficult to track down, therefore, they have not yet been caught.

Common things people have been trick by are odometer rollbacks and people purchasing salvage vehicles without knowing.

I guess this group mainly deals with higher end vehicles. Therefore, if you know of anyone looking to purchase a vehicle please make sure that they check the VIN.

I was told by the AMVIC that there have been people who have purchased these vehicles and have not been able to get back their money.

shakalaka
03-29-2006, 01:05 PM
Maybe you should tell us what car this is? Like on beyond if you say you saw the link on here.:dunno:

Orbie
03-29-2006, 01:18 PM
BUYER BEWARE!!!

The AMVIC has just opened a file on this case. They have told me that this is organized crime and is becoming a huge problem in Calgary.

Apparently the sellers are always Eastern European and have a story about moving back to Europe as to why they are selling the car. They never seem to have a permanent address so they are very difficult to track down, therefore, they have not yet been caught.

Common things people have been trick by are odometer rollbacks and people purchasing salvage vehicles without knowing.

I guess this group mainly deals with higher end vehicles. Therefore, if you know of anyone looking to purchase a vehicle please make sure that they check the VIN.

I was told by the AMVIC that there have been people who have purchased these vehicles and have not been able to get back their money.

This isn't new unfortunately, there have been a few threads in Beyond regarding scams like this. They advertise their cars and their story is always the same, they are moving and need to sell the car. They aren't in the country so they have to receive a "deposit" before they send you the car, you can't come look at it because again they are out of town etc...

yeerj
03-29-2006, 02:57 PM
The car was advertised in the Bargain Finder. It was a 1994 BMW 325i with an advertised 164K. However, carfax found the car had over 260K when it was last reported in Jan 05.

The guy at AMVIC said that this is becoming a real problem in our city so like I said buyer beware.

He told me a story that a lady purchased a vehicle in Airdrie only to find out the odometer had been switched. Since the seller did not tell her this was a new odometer she took him to court. In the end the courts only awarded her about $2500 which was approx the difference in value from what the proper km on the car would have been.

I guess at this point the police and courts aren't considering this to be an important problem in our city and are not spending much time or money on these cases.

Rockski
03-29-2006, 03:52 PM
im also kinda interested in how to do this, i KNOW ITS ILLIGAL because the kms have to be proper incase of re-sell, but ive got a vehical that im IN NO WAY going to sell. and i would like to roll it back after the whole rebuild is done, how would i go abouts doing it?

Alpine Autowerks
03-30-2006, 03:30 PM
T>> the courts only awarded her about $2500 which was approx the difference in value from what the proper km on the car would have been.

I guess at this point the police and courts aren't considering this to be an important problem in our city and are not spending much time or money on these cases.

this a normal award for this type of fraud.

yeerj
03-31-2006, 12:09 PM
AMVIC called me today to let me know the true kms on the car is 286K.

It sounds like they are going after this guy with the help of the Calgary Police. They are bringing a photo to me later today to try to indentify ths guy.

CalgarySupra
03-31-2006, 04:32 PM
that carfax . rollback , odometre fraud is all bs. a lot of times when someone getting a warrenty or takes their car in for serivce, a lot of times they dont care about milege and put more then it actually has on or less. both cause the red tag alert.

with these days, never mind the odometer. look at the car look underneath. look for currision, rust, smoothness, rattles, that sort of thing.

you can buy a new ford, chrysler with 10,000 but wont give you a solid ride like atoyota or honda with 350,000 k.

these days milege doesnt mean nothing expcially with toyota and honda quality , a 15 year old toyota doesnt mean anything its not like before. thats why these 15 year old cars still cost a lot and cost as much as 8 years ago. some epople dont even care about the engine just as long as the body, frame is good.

but yeah, rolling back is pointless and dirty. and now its even easier with a digital metre as they say

yeerj
03-31-2006, 06:31 PM
People do still base their vehicle purchase based on how many kms are on the car. This also increases or decreases the value of the car when it comes time to sell it.

Never the less it is illegal to roll back an odometer, especially when the buyer is not being notified.