PDA

View Full Version : Where can you pick up Synchromesh in town?

freakin
03-24-2006, 08:42 AM
I'm trying to find the Penzoil Synchromesh in town. I tried a couple of parts stores, but came up emptyhanded. Does anyone know of any shops in town selling it? If not, I'll just head down to a GM dealer on Saturday and pick up some there.

CivicDXR
03-24-2006, 08:48 AM
the GM dealer has it for sure... Penzoil Synchromesh, AC Delco, and GM stuff are all the same, just bottled different... there was a whole shelf full at CMP when I got mine last week...

TurboZombie
03-24-2006, 09:28 AM
You can buy the Ac delco syncromesh at Autovalue or Parts Source. $9.95 at both those stores, the GM dealer may be more!

cmodem
03-24-2006, 01:16 PM
actually the part source (behind mcknight just off of deerfoot) sells it for 7.99 a bottle.

It's the only part source that has them if i remember when i was doing part source runs with those 5 buck off coupons.

heavyD
03-24-2006, 03:04 PM
If you have an older Honda and your transmission is shifting smoothly, I would just leave it alone. Sometimes on older transmissions changing the fluid can do more harm than good believe it or not. Your transmission is sealed so there isn't the contamination that you get with engine oil and unless you grind gears alot particle matter should be low. I never changed the transmission oil on my old 323 beater and it still shifted smooth at 250K KM's.

Years ago my 1994 Civic Si had about 135K KM's on it and had no problems. I changed the tranny fluid to synthetic and while it initially shifted better, within 5000 KM's the 2nd & 3rd gear synchros were shot.

frostyda9
03-24-2006, 07:04 PM
^ I'm pretty sure the reason he needs it is he's installing a different tranny in the car, not just doing a routine change

HTN SWCHS
04-06-2006, 10:16 AM
what are the advantages of synchromesh? do you replace the tranny fluid? or is it an addidive?

3G
04-06-2006, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by HTN SWCHS
what are the advantages of synchromesh? do you replace the tranny fluid? or is it an addidive?

you replace your fluid, i noticed smoother shifting in my old accord, i had a grind when downshifting into 2nd, it went away after driving a bit on syncromsh

Zero102
04-06-2006, 11:34 AM
It's great for FWD transaxles, or RWD transmissions.
If you have a RWD with an integral differential (i.e. a transaxle), do not use it. This is because synchromesh is not approved for hypoid gear sets. FWD transaxles have only helical gears. The stresses are a lot lower on helical gears when compared to hypoid.

A CRX would have a helical gear differential, and synchromesh is perfectly safe for it.

If you ask me, pick up the Amsoil synchromesh product. You can get it at Oil Time on bannister road. IMO it's the best of all of the synchromesh fluids.
A close second if you are unable to locate synchromesh is Redline MTL. It's almost as thin, but still bears a GL gear rating (so it's safe for hypoid gear sets as well).

QuasarCav
04-06-2006, 11:37 AM
Matt, I got my Synchromesh at AutoValue for about 9/quart. I only used a little more than 2 bottles.

soupey
04-06-2006, 11:39 AM
another question, how often should tranny fluid be changed (provided its been regularly changed since the purchase of the car)?

QuasarCav
04-06-2006, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by soupey
another question, how often should tranny fluid be changed (provided its been regularly changed since the purchase of the car)?

Check the owners manual, I like to change every 30-40K. Manual fluid though.