PDA

View Full Version : Towing Question: Scenario

aznexec
03-24-2006, 10:02 AM
I have heard that many towing comanies will simply refuse to tow a car that is lowered...

Here's a senario...say you have a lowered car and you park in a private lot... The owner see the car and calls the towing company to have it towed....If the towing company arrives to find that the car is lowered, would they refuse to tow? Or do you think they would go simply ahead and attempt to tow it ( potentially causing damage to the car...??)

Thoughts?

ps. please don't reply...'just don't park in a private lot :)'

Tks

thetrousertrout
03-24-2006, 10:17 AM
they normally would not Tow something that is extremly lowered because chances are they will be liable for the damage caused in the towin.

However, A landlord can still have this car towed, signing a release for the towing company excusing them from damage to the vehicle if it is in a private parking lot, with notices of it being private property, and the car does not belong there.

TrevorK
03-24-2006, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by thetrousertrout
they normally would not Tow something that is extremly lowered because chances are they will be liable for the damage caused in the towin.

However, A landlord can still have this car towed, signing a release for the towing company excusing them from damage to the vehicle if it is in a private parking lot, with notices of it being private property, and the car does not belong there.

Unfortunately the towing company is still liable for the damages to the car.

Just because it's illegally parked doesn't mean you can wreck it to get it out.

mac_82
03-24-2006, 01:50 PM
I have wondered who would be responsible for damage to a towed vehicle ever since I bought a AWD vehicle. Hopefully most tow truck drivers are smart enough, but I have heard the occasional horror story...

:banghead:

Foz
03-24-2006, 01:52 PM
^^ I've heard bad stories where they towed AWD without a flatbed truck.

Say good bye to the synchros.

thetrousertrout
03-24-2006, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by TrevorK

Unfortunately the towing company is still liable for the damages to the car.

Just because it's illegally parked doesn't mean you can wreck it to get it out.

Right, towing companies would be liable for it, however, it is parked on private propery illegally, if the land owner does not want it there, it has to be removed. if your body kit or what not gets damaged, the towing company can not be held liable. Now if the towing company dents your door, different story all together.

My brother found this out the hard way. He parked on the grass behind the stamps stadium off university drive, had his MR2 towed, and front bumper was ripped apart. Talked to calgary parking authority and his lawyer, and they told him he was shit out of luck.

just because your car is lowered or what not, is not a free pass to park wherever you want.

TrevorK
03-27-2006, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by thetrousertrout

Right, towing companies would be liable for it, however, it is parked on private propery illegally, if the land owner does not want it there, it has to be removed. if your body kit or what not gets damaged, the towing company can not be held liable. Now if the towing company dents your door, different story all together.

My brother found this out the hard way. He parked on the grass behind the stamps stadium off university drive, had his MR2 towed, and front bumper was ripped apart. Talked to calgary parking authority and his lawyer, and they told him he was shit out of luck.

just because your car is lowered or what not, is not a free pass to park wherever you want.

Your brother wasn't dealing with the right people then.

Any damage that can be PROVEN to be the tow truck drivers fault (And it's difficult to prove, especially saying "He cracked my bumper" on a 10 year old car) is his responsbility.

If you make a claim through your insurance, they will go back after the tow truck driver and his insurance.

nadroj23
03-28-2006, 10:10 AM
^^^ wrong i actually had a convo with ama about this when i needed to get my car towed, i told them it was lowered they said they will send somebody to look at it with a regular tow truck, the tow truck guy will look at it and decide from there if he can go through with it with no damage then he will but if he cant then he wont move the car without a faltbed. they are not held responsable for any damage done to your car if it is lowered, because they just wont touch it.

TrevorK
03-28-2006, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by nadroj23
^^^ wrong i actually had a convo with ama about this when i needed to get my car towed, i told them it was lowered they said they will send somebody to look at it with a regular tow truck, the tow truck guy will look at it and decide from there if he can go through with it with no damage then he will but if he cant then he wont move the car without a faltbed. they are not held responsable for any damage done to your car if it is lowered, because they just wont touch it.

You just said it right there "...they are not held responsible for any damage done to your car if it is lowered because they just won't touch it".

If they take on the job of towing your car, their responsible for it.

My source? Insurance company who has made claims against the towing company. What happens is there is damage, then the person who's car is damaged files a claim. If there's enough damage, the insurance company (not wanting to pay) finds someone to pay, and if there's proof get the tow truck driver's insurance to pay.

The only hard part is proving the damage was caused by the tow truck. This is most likely where most people fail, because it'd be next to impossible to prove that your bumper was cracked from a tow truck and not from one of the 1 million potholes on the street.

nadroj23
03-28-2006, 12:31 PM
yeah well im gonna start to take pics of my car before the tow truck guy touches it from now on