PDA

View Full Version : Power Windows

speedracer
03-24-2006, 08:13 PM
Anyone install an aftermarket power window or have recommendation for kits?

Such as kits from Autoloc
http://www.thehoffmangroup.com:16080/Autoloc/Products/Products_PW4600.lasso

speedracer
03-28-2006, 03:21 PM
*bump*
Someone must have installed power windows that are not OEM.

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-28-2006, 03:29 PM
I'm interested in a response as well

Weapon_R
03-28-2006, 08:10 PM
I installed one in my civic.

I used an Audiovox Spal deluxe kit. I had it for about a year before selling my car. As far as I know, the system still works like it did (over a year now). The kit is pretty straight forward and uses a motor with a chain that spins the OEM system up and down.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SPAL-DELUXE-POWER-WINDOW-KIT-FAST-SHIPPING_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6763QQitemZ8051668373QQrdZ1

The kit does not come with switches (nor would I want it to). I preferred to find my own that fit in the area I wanted it to. The hardest part is figuring out the wiring because it's one thing to apply power to make the windows go one way, but difficult to reverse polarity so they go in reverse. After much struggle, I went to Derdall Designs and Ryan wired my switches and did it so all I had to do was install power and negative.

Here's the kit I used. At that price, it's cheap enough to buy two and have a spare in case something goes wrong. The setup looks "ok" after you are done, because they give u these fugly covers to put where your handle once was. They look like black discs but most people don't really notice them. I was going to recover the area with alcantra had I kept the car, covering the hole completely.

Let me know if you have any questions. It's a straightforward install.

Sasuke_Kensai
06-07-2006, 10:37 AM
I am currently in the process of installing power windows (I think I am using some no-name brand from ebay). Like ^he says, it's very straightforward, especially if you get one with switches.

Does anyone know why power windows are sometimes/usually not wired to constant power? Electrical, security reasons? I'd like to be able to use the windows after taking my keys out, and I don't foresee any problem with this except maybe blowing the fuse when everything is on...