PDA

View Full Version : Fucked up work place

3G
03-25-2006, 02:09 AM
Hey guys I'm currently working for national car rentals temporarily and WTF, these people dont give you a half hour break for a 8 hour shift, arent they supposed to give u half hour payed for 8 hours? The supervisor just said "take a quick break when its not busy" and theres like 8 drivers at any given time :bullshit: where else do u get payed to beg on brand new cars

So shall I call the labour board on them or what?

calgarys13
03-25-2006, 02:36 AM
uhhh stop whinning i don't get a break on my 12 hour shift..and how hard can driving be?

DC2
03-25-2006, 02:37 AM
haha work for hertz! breaks all the time son!

you could call up the airport manager or city manager too!

sidenote: watch out for avis. they are pricks when they drive

snowboard
03-25-2006, 02:38 AM
yah at least its not a hard job, i used to work from 530am till 2pm withouta break, constantly running around, never sitting still.

Si_FlyGuy
03-25-2006, 07:57 AM
If you want breaks, go to school. This could subsequently lead to your new found ability to spell 'paid' correctly; thus improving your chances of being employed at a better job. :clap:

3G
03-25-2006, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy
If you want breaks, go to school. This could subsequently lead to your new found ability to spell 'paid' correctly; thus improving your chances of being employed at a better job. :clap:

Why don't you go fuck yourself? Spelling is the least of my worries @ 1 am AND on the internet, not like I was writing a essay for my english diploma.

but who doesn't get hungry over 8 hours?

sputnik
03-25-2006, 09:06 AM
Why dont you just get a new job? Quit and tell them what made you unhappy. Then get a job elsewhere.

jaylo
03-25-2006, 09:22 AM
I used to work for this small company and we had 2 15 minute breaks and 1/2 hour lunch. Before they didn't pay us for all of the breaks but someone snared we finally got paid on those 2 15 minute breaks.

If you work an 8.5 hour shift , you are entitled to get 2 paid 15 minute breaks and a non-paid 1/2 hour lunch.

Si_FlyGuy
03-25-2006, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by 3G

Why don't you go fuck yourself? Spelling is the least of my worries @ 1 am AND on the internet, not like I was writing a essay for my english diploma.

I'VE BEEN E-THUGGEDDDDDDDD!!!!!:rofl:

hoppy2018
03-25-2006, 10:01 AM

Fucking Douchebag :guns:

gpomp
03-25-2006, 10:07 AM
If you want breaks, go to school. This could subsequently lead to your new found ability to spell 'paid' correctly; thus improving your chances of being employed at a better job. :clap: :rofl:

Si_FlyGuy
03-25-2006, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by hoppy2018

Fucking Douchebag :guns:

You're an oxymoron. I was under the assumption that sensitive guys much preferred Martha Stewart forums to Car forums.

It must be a thrill wandering out of your comfort zone, isn't it?:rofl:

ricosuave
03-25-2006, 10:35 AM
this might help you
http://www3.gov.ab.ca/hre/employmentstandards/

max_boost
03-25-2006, 11:38 AM
8 hours isn't that long, you can have a break when it's time to get off work.

What will be accomplished by calling the labour board? :rofl:

Team_Mclaren
03-25-2006, 11:55 AM
-- waiting for tyler833 to come in and say you need a union ---

Mar
03-25-2006, 12:17 PM
You have to take whatever your employer gives you. If you don't like how they do business, work elsewhere.
Unless, of course, there's a union at your workplace, in which case you could just complain to them and they'll take care of it lickety split.
No union = slave labour.

Ben
03-25-2006, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Mar
No union = slave labour.

Not at all, just dont work for a shit company doing a nobrainer unskilled job.

Ive worked for both union and non union companies, and guess what, I prefer the non union ones 10 fold due to the fact you dont have to pay for something you dont care about (union dues), You dont have to deal with whining 30 year union dinosaurs complaining about useless bullshit that makes no difference to me, because they're tired to working and want more benefits, perks, less hours, more pay, etc etc without having to show for it.

Excerpt from the movie "Boiler Room":

"So, now that you know what's possible. Let me tell you what's required. You are required to work your fucking ass off at this firm. We want winners here, not pikers. A piker walks at the bell. A piker asks how much vacation time you get in the first year. Vacation time? People come and work at this firm for one reason: to become filthy rich. That's it. We're not here to make friends. We're not savin' the fuckin' manatees here, guys. You want vacation time? Go teach third grade, public school."

Take some initiative, lookout for your own best interest instead of leaving it up to some union, and if you dont like the conditions, take your skills to another competitor, or change fields all together, otherwise, if you dont really have any skills and couldn't find another job, suck it up and deal with it, thats the wager you gotta make, is it worth it for me to stay.

Bill Cosby
03-25-2006, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by 3G

you mean an essay :bigpimp:

DC2
03-25-2006, 04:16 PM
^^ :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: pwned once again :rofl:

blueripper6
03-25-2006, 04:32 PM
So, take a break when its not busy then.

Stratus_Power
03-25-2006, 04:42 PM
Welcome to the real world

jcrules99
03-25-2006, 04:47 PM
haha i work for car rental, we take a break anytime we want lol

CIVIC_MAN
03-25-2006, 04:52 PM
for instance an 8-430 shift should consist of two 15 minute breaks that are paid for and one unpaid thrity minute break

3G
03-25-2006, 05:30 PM
what a bunch of keyboard warriors on this forum :rolleyes:

gen2teggy
03-25-2006, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by 3G

:rofl:

JordanEG6
03-25-2006, 06:01 PM
when I worked for Budget, I'd stop by Tim Hortons or McDonald's on the way back from a drive. Working for a car rental place and driving from location to location isn't so bad without a break, you just need to work around the system hahahaha. If they ask where you've been, say "traffic" or "construction"

:D

3G
03-25-2006, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by JordanEG6
when I worked for Budget, I'd stop by Tim Hortons or McDonald's on the way back from a drive. Working for a car rental place and driving from location to location isn't so bad without a break, you just need to work around the system hahahaha. If they ask where you've been, say "traffic" or "construction"

That's what I always do, they don't give u a time limit for the trip, sometimes I take an hour just for a short trip (airport to downtown and back) but the majority of my trips are barely 4km away (Distribution to Airport and back), I get hungry at times.

Si_FlyGuy
03-25-2006, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by 3G

That's what I always do, they don't give u a time limit for the trip, sometimes I take an hour just for a short trip (airport to downtown and back) but the majority of my trips are barely 4km away (Distribution to Airport and back), I get hungry at times.

Have you ever considered that to be a reason why your boss isn't giving you any breaks? Your boss isn't a moron. Such a model worker you are. I forsee a wonderful career for you, I really do.

cityhunter2501
03-25-2006, 06:45 PM
at the beginning of your shift you should go talk to the supervisor of your shift that you will be going for your break at the set time.
When that time comes just leave and go for your break.

3G
03-25-2006, 08:11 PM

Have you ever considered that to be a reason why your boss isn't giving you any breaks? Your boss isn't a moron. Such a model worker you are. I forsee a wonderful career for you, I really do.

Actually no, I just started the job not long ago and after realizing we get no breaks I take longer on trips to eat, u can call up any of my previous bosses maybe theyll tell a thing or 2 so stfu, this thread isn't about me or u, its about asking about the law regarding breaks

Originally posted by cityhunter2501
at the beginning of your shift you should go talk to the supervisor of your shift that you will be going for your break at the set time.
When that time comes just leave and go for your break.

They don't do that, just whenever we're not busy which we rarely are until like 10 pm at night when im either off or have an hour left to go and starving

Ramdawg
03-25-2006, 09:13 PM
check the employment standards act, legislation in alberta will lay out all your rights as an employee

EK 2.0
03-25-2006, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by 3G

you are right you know everyone thinking they are sooo tough and HARDCORE behind a keyboard...

like this guy...

Originally posted by 3G

Oh wait...that's YOU!!:rolleyes:

And you drive for a rental car company...when I sude to work for budget...my entire day was a break as a driver...GOD you have a car drive somewhere....or take an extra 20 mins to get from the airport to downtown...

FiveFreshFish
03-25-2006, 09:27 PM
Eat a huge meal before work and take snacks like power bars with you.

moe007
03-25-2006, 09:32 PM
but isnt everyone suppose to get a 30 min break if they work 8 hours???

gp36912
03-25-2006, 09:36 PM
..... your driving... how damn hard can the job be? i wish i had a job where i could just drive. i work retail atm and i never get my 15s, and my half hour lunch is never paid, though we find time when the foot traffic is slow and decide who gets a break when.

gp36912
03-25-2006, 09:39 PM
yes your supposed to get the 30 minute break with every 8 hour shift. but the 15 minute breaks are not always feasible when you are busy. your driving, you get more than 30 minutes break a day, think about all the time u spend sitting there and not doing anything waiting for the lights to turn green.

Unknown303
03-25-2006, 09:58 PM
Its part or the alberta labour laws that during an 8 hour shift you get a .5 hour break (Doesn't have to be Paid for) and two 15 minute coffee breaks. Although sometimes if things are busy you might want to suck it up and work through it. When i worked for a trucking company as a swamper we worked for 18 hours a day setting up rig sites and they still gave us that one .5 hour break. But thats 18 hours too.

boopydogg
03-26-2006, 01:56 AM
last time i checked calgary employers were screaming for employee's so if ya dont like it.....LEAVE! its not like its hard to find a job in calgary

Lexxan
03-26-2006, 04:06 AM
it's part of being young or dumb for your whole life.. you work a shitty low paying job.. suck it up

3G
03-26-2006, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by Lexxan
it's part of being young or dumb for your whole life.. you work a shitty low paying job.. suck it up

actually its just a side job not like i rely on it

asifka
03-26-2006, 04:55 PM
i workd there couple years ago.. just eat when ever u get a chance or wait untill u go off airport.

dont u get off early tho?? i know cleaners get half hourun paid break and they work 2:30 to 11.
drivers work from 2 to 10:30

p.s i worked there last year, overall it was the easiest job one can have:thumbsup:

Si_FlyGuy
03-26-2006, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by asifka

p.s i worked there last year, overall it was the easiest job one can have:thumbsup:

So you are saying that this place is not so fcked up after all?:rofl:

asifka
03-26-2006, 05:04 PM
^^ place is fucked up coz of all old farts.:nut:
but ya, driving brand new cars is still the easiest job ever lol

3G
03-26-2006, 11:20 PM
^^ place is fucked up coz of all old farts.:nut:
but ya, driving brand new cars is still the easiest job ever lol

burnouts in 300C's are the best, who did you work with?

asifka
03-26-2006, 11:41 PM
i worked as a driver/cleaner untill last march wit marty, daren,ziggy, MR.hubs & lots.
then i start workin at airport...
actually, i just left national coz of schoool.. yesturday was my last day there.

3G
03-27-2006, 01:12 AM
i worked as a driver/cleaner untill last march wit marty, daren,ziggy, MR.hubs & lots.
then i start workin at airport...
actually, i just left national coz of schoool.. yesturday was my last day there.

oooh u drove the brown maxima? haha darrens a little bitch, marty is chilling, im not sure who ziggy and mr hubs are though

asifka
03-27-2006, 01:37 AM
nono.
i drive green maxima.
hm, btw im Moe, everybody knows me there lol. i only worked sat morning in past 7 months.
mr hubs is Dave.. ziggy is the man who say "fuck it " with everything in german accent :thumbsup:

3G
03-27-2006, 01:41 AM
nono.
i drive green maxima.
hm, btw im Moe, everybody knows me there lol. i only worked sat morning in past 7 months.
mr hubs is Dave.. ziggy is the man who say "fuck it " with everything in german accent :thumbsup:

i prolly never worked with u though, i dunno those 2 though lol

jcrules99
03-27-2006, 09:50 AM
HERTZ FOR LIFEEEEEEE MOFO'S haha

benyl
03-27-2006, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by 3G

burnouts in 300C's are the best, who did you work with?

Yep, you are a model employee.

Celica TVS3
03-27-2006, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by benyl

Yep, you are a model employee.

:werd: Some people just don't get it.

khtm
03-27-2006, 10:44 AM
http://www3.gov.ab.ca/hre/employmentstandards/about/hours.asp#3

"DAILY REST PERIODS
During each shift in excess of five consecutive hours of work, an employee is entitled to at least a one-half hour break, except where it is unreasonable or impossible. The break can be paid, or unpaid, at the employer's discretion.

This means that where a shift is less than 5 hours in length the employer is not obliged to provide a rest period. Where the shift is longer than 5 hours (e.g. 8 or 9 hours) the obligation of the employer is to provide at least 30 minutes of break time sometime during the shift. The 30 minutes can be taken in one unbroken period but may be provided as two 15-minute or three 10-minute breaks.

This, of course, is the minimum standard, and in practice for a full day shift the amount of break time provided is frequently more than the specified minimum."

Vagabond142
03-27-2006, 06:33 PM
heh... I love working for the company I do. I only actually "WORK" 3-4 hours, but I get paid for 10 or so every day, as the remaining hours are taken up driving to different locations to do my work :D And sometimes in a 6 ton watering truck with a mega-turbo mini-cat engine :drool: :poosie:

cman
03-30-2006, 01:58 AM
Go work on a seismic crew then complain. Your job is a walk in the park, jobs like that are dime-a-dozen, if you dont like it leave and get another shitty job.:drama:

JordanEG6
03-30-2006, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by jcrules99
HERTZ FOR LIFEEEEEEE MOFO'S haha

no, no, no...budget rent a car pwnz! :D

DC2
03-30-2006, 03:54 PM
+1 for hertz.:thumbsup:

budget is weaksauce:thumbsdow

3G
03-30-2006, 03:57 PM
National licks balls its all old fags who are still single and live in their parents basements and holy are they snitches. Does anyone know after how long you get benefits with nationals and what it covers?

JAYMEZ
03-30-2006, 04:00 PM
You should visit the site said above.

If you call them , they will take the effort to help you out and tell you what to do .

www.gov.ab.ca/hre/employmentsstandards

Main Flr, 717-7ave SW
Calgary t2p 0z3
Or call them at (403)297-5843

Hours of Work
- Hours of work must be confined with a period of 12 consecutive hours in any one day. An exception to this requirement exists for employees in the geophysical exploration and oilwell servicing industries.

Hours of Rest
- An employer must provide at least one day of rest in each week. Rest days may be accumulated for up to 4 weeks and given as consecutive days off within this 4 week period.

Employees must recieve a 1/2 hour rest period, paid or unpaid, during each shift in excess of 5 consecutive hours of work.

CrvenaZvezda
03-30-2006, 04:17 PM
I think you are suppose to get a half an hour brake for sure but as some of the guys said you can also take some snacks with u.

JordanEG6
03-30-2006, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by DC2
+1 for hertz.:thumbsup:

budget is weaksauce:thumbsdow

hertz is hert'n :D

blue and orange FTW

EK 2.0
03-30-2006, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by JordanEG6

hertz is hert'n :D

blue and orange FTW

BUDGET fo life y0!!

Alex_FORD
03-30-2006, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by gp36912
yes your supposed to get the 30 minute break with every 8 hour shift. but the 15 minute breaks are not always feasible when you are busy. your driving, you get more than 30 minutes break a day, think about all the time u spend sitting there and not doing anything waiting for the lights to turn green.

I don't entirely agree that sitting at a red light is a "break"

what about someone that answers phones for a living? we could add up the number of minutes between calls and determine how long of a break she got? I don't think so.

szw
03-31-2006, 03:42 AM
Why are so many people ragging on this guy? Yeah, the job isn't hard, but if he is lawfully entitled to something and isn't getting it, why isn't he allowed to try to get it?

old&slow
03-31-2006, 07:40 AM
Labor law states a 30 minute break in a 5 hour period.
So yes you are intitled to a 1/2 hr break during your shift.

I would tho if I were you very much consider letting them know your thoughts and give em a chance to smarten up.
So many jobs out there right now...you'll be working again buy the end of day!

old&slow
03-31-2006, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by szw
Why are so many people ragging on this guy? Yeah, the job isn't hard, but if he is lawfully entitled to something and isn't getting it, why isn't he allowed to try to get it?

Cause they are assholes!

Sed8
03-31-2006, 11:01 AM
You would think with the job market being what it is, employee retention should be a key goal.
You can't expect an employer to look out for your interests. That's your responsibility and should be your primary interest. It's business- try to keep that in mind.
You did the right thing by asking around. The Employment Standards link mentioned earlier is the best bet and your question was answered- and then some.
No need for everyone to bust balls and measure a persons character by their job.
Knowing what I know now, I would sooner work for the same money and do little than bust my nuts for the same dime. Take it from someone who knows: You too can sit at home in a 'custom chair' at a keyboard all day wishing you could go back out there.

Don't expect your employer to care about or resolve personal issues, the Union doesn't care, the Employment Standards Commission doesn't flinch, and the WCB is not there for YOU- they are there to protect your EMPLOYER against litigation. Try and keep that in mind.
Look after your ass first and foremost....and never let them take advantage of you. Like I said... it's business...so put on the business hat.

Oh.most important! It's just a job so try and have some fun with it!

rigguy
04-01-2006, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by 3G
Hey guys I'm currently working for national car rentals temporarily and WTF, these people dont give you a half hour break for a 8 hour shift, arent they supposed to give u half hour payed for 8 hours? The supervisor just said "take a quick break when its not busy" and theres like 8 drivers at any given time :bullshit: where else do u get payed to beg on brand new cars

So shall I call the labour board on them or what?

No break for driving cars, try going to work on an oil rig. You can 18 hours without a break if things get fked up.

Alex_FORD
04-02-2006, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by gp36912

breaks are not always feasible? It's not like someone dies if you take a 15 minute break, :rolleyes:

BTW, a driver is NOT taking a break when he is driving. How can anyone think otherwise?

Si_FlyGuy
04-02-2006, 12:33 PM
The driver is taking a break while driving if a 30 minute trip consistently becomes a 1 hour trip.

frostyda9
04-02-2006, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by szw

He is, but more then likely when he does, he'll be out the door. In a situation like this, they can fire him and it'll be easy enough to fill his place. You need to get yourself into a situation where you bring something to the table that most people can't, and hence you become valuable to your employer. THEN, you can make demands and it will be in your employers best interest to keep you happy, because they need you ;)

There a lots of great jobs in Calgary, seek one of them out...