PDA

View Full Version : Paying someone to import a car????

harley11
03-26-2006, 01:40 AM
I want to buy a car in the usa...and yes i have read all on this site has to offer about doing so...but one thing i havent found is someone to do it for a fee or something.

So i want to import this car within 2 weeks havent even finished bidding yet

Anyone out there wanna do all the customs screwing around?

If there is know one to hire then can someone please direct me to a company that will that is trust worthy!

The car is 2005 mazda 6

thanks

Graham_A_M
03-27-2006, 05:53 PM
There are lots of people. Check in the yellow pages. Why would you want to buy a US mazda 6? when I imported the blue car in my sig, the duties were 20% of what I paid for the car, plus two months of paperwork, plus another $1000 of installing the DRL's (daytime running lights) and other inspections. it was a PAIN in the ass like no other. I can help you through it if you want since I've been there and done that. :dunno:

talonboi
03-27-2006, 07:03 PM
your not gonna get someone to hide a bunch a drugs in the trunk and get someone else to drive it over the boarder are ya?

im pretty sure someone will...:dunno:

Weapon_R
03-27-2006, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
There are lots of people. Check in the yellow pages. Why would you want to buy a US mazda 6? when I imported the blue car in my sig, the duties were 20% of what I paid for the car, plus two months of paperwork, plus another $1000 of installing the DRL's (daytime running lights) and other inspections. it was a PAIN in the ass like no other. I can help you through it if you want since I've been there and done that. :dunno:

Where do you get your numbers from? The taxes are at MOST 7% gst and 6.1% duty if the car were built outside of North America, the inspection is $120 for an OOP, a DRL kit at Canadian tire is $25.00, and shipping will run you $1000-1500 depending on where it came from and they broker the car into the country for free.

sullygully
03-27-2006, 07:29 PM
If you want to save on duty and shipping fees do what a friend of mine did. Get temporary insurance on it, buy a one way ticket, then drive it home. Cost him a plane ticket a few tanks of gas

Weapon_R
03-27-2006, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by sullygully
If you want to save on duty and shipping fees do what a friend of mine did. Get temporary insurance on it, buy a one way ticket, then drive it home. Cost him a plane ticket a few tanks of gas

When you really consider shipping vs. driving, I disagree.

Driving it back:

$400 plane ticket
$100 food
$250 hotel (assuming 2 or 3 nights in a decent place)
$500 gas
$Insurance

Add the time off work, the inconveniences, the added hassle and trouble, and the wear and tear, and it makes far more sense to have someone do it for you.

Graham_A_M
03-27-2006, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Where do you get your numbers from? The taxes are at MOST 7% gst and 6.1% duty if the car were built outside of North America, the inspection is $120 for an OOP, a DRL kit at Canadian tire is $25.00, and shipping will run you $1000-1500 depending on where it came from and they broker the car into the country for free.

WOW, You got away with 6.1% duties!! lucky you!

I'd hate to see a DRL kit from Crappy tire, I think your asking for BIG TROUBLE if you get it done there. Mine was $350 at Sunridge Mazda.
The provincial inspection was $175. Thats $500 now, along with $1300 in Duties, plus an importing fee of $140

When it was ALL SAID AND DONE, it was about $2500 to bring my blue car across the border.

Originally posted by Weapon_R

When you really consider shipping vs. driving, I disagree.

Driving it back:

$400 plane ticket
$100 food
$250 hotel (assuming 2 or 3 nights in a decent place)
$500 gas
$Insurance

Add the time off work, the inconveniences, the added hassle and trouble, and the wear and tear, and it makes far more sense to have someone do it for you.

It all depends where it comes from. If it coming in from Georgia, Tennesee or Florida, then its LOTS more. Like a transport company will charge you about $2600 in transport fees if it comes from that vicinity. (thats what I was quoted). My co-worker used to do these "auto transports" if anybody is interested going this route, then ask me, then I'll ask him for more contact info.

I flew down to Atlanta Georgia on May 23rd last year. And drove my car all the way back.
heres the whole pictorial and story.
http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129700
its a good read. :D

Its quite the adventure to drive all the way back. it'll probably save you a whack load of money. But if the car breaks down in the states, and your on limited funds, it can be a disaster! I never had that misfortune, but I'm sure it happens. :thumbsdow

If the car is close, like Wyoming or Montana etc; then its probably better if you bring it up yourself. but its a lot more comforting to hire someone to do it for you.

IF anybody needs any advice or help in anyway, dont be afraid to PM me about it, I'd love to help. :)

For best results: make sure the car is relatively stock, highly modified cars are a disaster to import, since you have lots of legal implications to worry about. :nut:

snowboard
03-27-2006, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

WOW, You got away with 6.1% duties!! lucky you!

no
everyone does.
unless its an american car.
you got raped haha