PDA

View Full Version : Cops don't have to come anymore?

ninjak84
03-20-2003, 06:55 PM
So whats the deal now?
My cop didn't show up, but it supposedly doesn't matter anymore. The crown told me he doesn't have to come due to new regulations, so I still had to deal with it. The good thing is that when he doesn't show, it's 10x easier to talk to the crown prosecutor..... some of the officers there were so pissed at people, and wouldn't give them ANY break
I was polite though, and got my fine/demerits reduced by half. :) There's no harm in trying!

For the record, I don't have as many demerits as I make it seem... so I don't want to hear about it Ken!!:guns:

hjr
03-20-2003, 07:29 PM
thats really lame.

ramminghard
03-20-2003, 07:30 PM
What evidence do they have if the cop doesn't show up? Just plead not guilty.

EG STyLeZ
03-20-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by ninjak84

For the record, I don't have as many demerits as I make it seem... so I don't want to hear about it Ken!!:guns:

yeah. you do man!! haha jk man, well at least you got it reduced so that's good.

Lo)2enz0
03-20-2003, 07:40 PM
umm i agree just pled not guilty if the cop doesn't show. like they have no hard evidence.

Laurier

bol
03-20-2003, 07:44 PM
uhm
the cops have never *HAD* to show up here as far as I know

___2PaC___
03-20-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Lo)2enz0
umm i agree just pled not guilty if the cop doesn't show. like they have no hard evidence.

Laurier

:werd: aint no harm in it

chrisgushue
03-20-2003, 08:15 PM
haha its worht showing up anyways, thay always reduce the demerits and ticket

98type_r
03-20-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by bol
uhm
the cops have never *HAD* to show up here as far as I know

the cop has to show up otherwise they have nobody to testify againt you/no proof that you committed any offense in the first place

hkcivic2k2
03-20-2003, 11:06 PM
I dont like you all that much but heres a pointer for next time... Plead not guality... and tell them to prove you were speeding or whatever the fuck else you were doing... jerking off in the car or whatever... ; ) They have NO PROOF you were doing anything wrong.... He doesnt show, I dont care what kidna regulations they have now, no proof means your innocent.... I would be polite but I would fight till the last....

rage2
03-20-2003, 11:33 PM
On your first day where you plead guilty/not guilty, the cop does not have to show up. If you plead not guilty, the case doesn't happen right away, it get scheduled as a court date where the cop DOES have to show up. At that point, you're fucked if he shows up (of the 20 tickets I've had in my lifetime, only 1 not guilty plea resulted in cop not showing up).

Of course if the cop doesn't show up during your scheduled court date, you're off free, but that's rare.

MerfBall
03-21-2003, 09:31 AM
yah what rage said.

I've gone to court with cops before as a witness and with some mindless banter asked him bout the time they spend in court, and they said they basically have there shifts after they go to their court cases. And they always show up for court, it's like their paperwork, it's just something they have to do whether they like it or not.

Unless of course there's an emergency that takes precedence, but since they are usually partnered up one will always show.

RC-Cola
03-21-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by rage2
On your first day where you plead guilty/not guilty, the cop does not have to show up. If you plead not guilty, the case doesn't happen right away, it get scheduled as a court date where the cop DOES have to show up. At that point, you're fucked if he shows up (of the 20 tickets I've had in my lifetime, only 1 not guilty plea resulted in cop not showing up).

Of course if the cop doesn't show up during your scheduled court date, you're off free, but that's rare.

Once you have your court date set you can have it changed. I've done this in the past where you call in a certain amount of time ahead (it says on your summons), I believe it's seven days. Tell them you have been called out of town on business or your grandmother died whatever, get the court date rescheduled, the cop will then receive a new summons. In my experience it usually gets lost somewhere in the process and the cop doesn't show up.

I have used this technique eight or nine times in Edmonton and it worked on seven of those occasions. It's different in Calgary. I've had two tickets here and I had trouble getting court dates. They really want to settle the ticket out of court, so they reduce the ticket and demerits almost immediately. It's almost like "Let's make a deal!" I haven't forced the situation and really tried to get into court because I was caught dead to rights in both cases, but I got both tickets reduced damtically.