PDA

View Full Version : Rav4 or Minivan?

umreeka91
03-26-2006, 12:59 PM
Ok so our Minivan is getting old and we want to either get a new one or a Rav4..We have a family of six. The rav4 has now third row seating (total 7, the same as minivans). My dad is leaning towards a minivan since we have had one for such a long time "and the usability when compared to a sub SUV.." but he is willing to do the research.

The one problem that we came across was that the RAV4 third seat is only available on the highest 40,000+ model, where as in the US you can get it on the lowest model, just pay an extra 950 for it, could we import?

Lets hear arguments for and against the RAV4, and for and against any minivan...(were looking at dodge, honda and toyota)

Also on a side note, we have an old Indash Navigation system as well as CDchanger that we would like to install, the higher RAV4 comes with a stock cd-changer and the moudlings do not allow for an easy installation. Thanks guys!

Fosgate R
03-26-2006, 01:59 PM
I work for toyota, so i have a biased oppinion, BUT, the new Rav4's are amazing vehicles! The V-6 model is just nutz, it's really quick!

umreeka91
03-26-2006, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Fosgate R
I work for toyota, so i have a biased oppinion, BUT, the new Rav4's are amazing vehicles! The V-6 model is just nutz, it's really quick!

yep so i have read...but i mean they are a bit pricy...what about room?

Anton
03-26-2006, 03:39 PM
For family of 6, and I assume you go on trips, even if little ones = Minivan, no further discussion.

If the Rav 4 does offer that extra seating row, I doubt its anywhere close to the same space as in a minivan. I might be mistaken though cause I have NO idea what the space of the back seat in it would be but by the dimensions of the car, I wouldn't think it's be very big.

Anton
03-26-2006, 03:40 PM
For family of 6, and I assume you go on trips, even if little ones = Minivan, no further discussion.

If the Rav 4 does offer that extra seating row, I doubt its anywhere close to the same space as in a minivan. I might be mistaken though cause I have NO idea what the space of the back seat in it would be but by the dimensions of the car, I wouldn't think it's be very big.

But I do think that Rav4 is an amzing car, just not for a family of your size.

hash
03-26-2006, 04:36 PM
I'd have to agree with the above poster. Even though the Rav4 has 3rd row seats, its going to be cramped, and quite difficult to get into as well (depending on how big the ppl getting into the back seat are).

Minivans aren't exactly sexy, but they get the job done, and are uber comfortable on long rides. Have you considered a sienna? They have awd models as well - starting @ around 37k i think. Can't beat 'yota reliability.

umreeka91
03-26-2006, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by hash
I'd have to agree with the above poster. Even though the Rav4 has 3rd row seats, its going to be cramped, and quite difficult to get into as well (depending on how big the ppl getting into the back seat are).

Minivans aren't exactly sexy, but they get the job done, and are uber comfortable on long rides. Have you considered a sienna? They have awd models as well - starting @ around 37k i think. Can't beat 'yota reliability.

yep sienna was top of list, right now we have an Odyssey 2003, which is running pretty good, and comfortable, we might just end up keepin her for another year or two ;), thanks for the great input guys...as for pics of the rav4...

http://i1.ebayimg.com/01/i/06/9f/26/2a_12.JPG

http://i6.ebayimg.com/03/i/06/9c/b2/d6_12.JPG

http://i12.ebayimg.com/05/i/06/a1/82/95_0.JPG

PS: two of the family consist of girls under 12...

Pihsiak
03-26-2006, 06:07 PM
Family of 6, Go with the Sienna....

mmmm... AWD Sienna...

Fosgate R
03-26-2006, 06:14 PM
yeah, the AWD sienna is a pimp ride too. if you come into canyon creek toyota we have two 2005's left, for a really good price!

hockeybronx
03-26-2006, 08:38 PM
Are you kidding me? A Rav 4 is worth $40,000.00 now? That's a little ridiculous in my opinion.:thumbsdow

umreeka91
03-26-2006, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx
Are you kidding me? A Rav 4 is worth $40,000.00 now? That's a little ridiculous in my opinion.:thumbsdow

yep a little over 38 out the door...thats exactly what i thought waay to pricy for a subcompact SUV like the rav4...even the lease is outrageous at 7+%. For the dude that works at canyon creek toyota :P get me a deal! We will probably be doing some test drives in a couple weeks ;) pm me?

Fosgate R
03-26-2006, 09:17 PM
for sure i can hook you up! Pm me when you go out and i'll set you up. And though the Rav4 is fairly expensive, when compared to anything in it's class it smokes everything. Especially in good ol toyota reliability:thumbsup:

clem24
03-26-2006, 09:27 PM
Forget the Rav4. No one, not even kids will feel comfortable back there. Besides, after putting kids in there, don't expect to fit your luggage too. Keep the minivan. It's hard to beat. I'd personally go with the new Odyssey with the cynlinder deactivation. Sienna AWD sounds nice but pricey. On quality, My dad has a 98 Sienna, and its onwhere near as good as the comparable Odyssey. We've always been Toyota people (2 x camry, Rav4, Sienna, MR2...), this one kinda turned my dad off. Went out and bought a 03 CR-V. Honda just seems to have better design touches and toughtfulness to their cars.

CKY
03-26-2006, 09:39 PM
Have you looked at a Mazda 5 at all? That car has third row seating and it didn't seem too bad when I saw it at the auto show.

Godfuader
03-26-2006, 10:08 PM
The RAV should be considered a 5 seater with room for 2 more for short trips. The V6 one is really powerful and alot of fun but the minivan is a must for 6 people. The limited awd is actually really nice with its wood grain wheel, leather and awd but the price for the top of the line is just over $50,000 and the basic one starts at $30,000.
Sienna pricing (http://www.toyota.ca/cgi-bin/WebObjects/WWW.woa/13/wo/Home.Vehicles.Go.Sienna-tq3901oqNHEtWgA17wnXJg/11.11?v151060e%2ehtml)

umreeka91
03-26-2006, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by CKY
Have you looked at a Mazda 5 at all? That car has third row seating and it didn't seem too bad when I saw it at the auto show.

will take a look at it for sure! thanks, and thanks for the pricing list GOD..

xrayvsn
03-26-2006, 11:26 PM
Have you considered the 06 Odyssey? They are now powered by the 3.5L 255hp motor. The EX-L model gets variable cylinder management for improved fuel efficiency. I have not driven this to know how transparent it is. I would love to know what you think of it if you test drive one.

Minivans are tough to beat for pure family hauling. While a mini-ute may have more cachet than saying you own a minivan, they are just less practical. Added seating capacity usually comes at the expense of luggage room, and the third row seats are not meant for adults. When you go to test each vehicle you are considering, spend as much time in the back bench seat as you do up front, and decide if it is comfortable enough to be in for any prolonged time.

LuxCars
03-26-2006, 11:32 PM
rav4=good idea
sienna=good idea
mazda 5= good idea
all domestics= bad idea

as long as you buy an import you cant go wrong bur in my opinion(speakind from a biast opinion because my uncle has the sienna) its a great van and freaken roomy, great stylin and very quick), rav4 is soon to enter our family so i dont have an opinion on that besides the fact that it looks awesome and is really sporty.

I watched a show that featured the mazda 5, they said nothing but good things about it, it looks really sporty, very spacious, and very very affordable. A loaded one should run you about 23000(unless that was an american price)

Godfuader
03-26-2006, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by umreeka91

will take a look at it for sure! thanks, and thanks for the pricing list GOD..

no prob. I work for country hills toyota and they have this special where you get free oil changes for the life of the car. Plus there are tons of open roads to do a proper test drive. I have driven the new siennas lots and must say the higher end ones (leather, wood trim, etc) feel as good as some SUVs

Xtrema
03-27-2006, 12:37 AM
Family of 6 = Odessey/Sienna. No if or buts.

umreeka91
03-27-2006, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Family of 6 = Odessey/Sienna. No if or buts.

hehe so i cant even take a LOOK at the ford freestyle (6 seats ;)) Xrav.. i will keep u updated on the new Odyssey a buddy of mine has one, he says they run just as good as my 03...which i have to say, runs beatifully, fast as fuck!

Speed_69
03-27-2006, 01:05 AM
you have a 2003 honda odyssey now and you call that getting old?!? i say just screw the idea of getting something new and keep what you have for a few more years. it's going to last you a long time and it's already a nice van.

umreeka91
03-27-2006, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Speed_69
you have a 2003 honda odyssey now and you call that getting old?!? i say just screw the idea of getting something new and keep what you have for a few more years. it's going to last you a long time and it's already a nice van.

yep really good point, the only downside to it is that the warranty is almost gone, and will be a few G's to renew, that and we would not mind getting some cash in our hands, since we purchased the van with cash, and if we get a new vehicle it will be on lease...

CelicaST-162
03-28-2006, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Godfuader

no prob. I work for country hills toyota and they have this special where you get free oil changes for the life of the car. Plus there are tons of open roads to do a proper test drive. I have driven the new siennas lots and must say the higher end ones (leather, wood trim, etc) feel as good as some SUVs

In order to have those free oil changes, you MUST follow the Toyota Maintenance Menu.

Godfuader
03-28-2006, 12:38 AM
^^ Which you should be doing anyways with a new car. Anything on the
maintenance menu (http://www.toyota.ca/cgi-bin/WebObjects/WWW.woa/3/wo/Home.Owners.MaintenanceMenu-ub2Sceqq6Vqam7Rc4vgCNw/3.13?o110000e%2ehtml) that seems out of place or unnecessary?

ps. free touchless washes too.:D

CelicaST-162
03-28-2006, 07:09 PM
I agree you should be following the menu. But it seems people get surprised when they come in for service expect 0.00$, and get shocked with a dust and pollen filter for 51$...hahaha

umreeka91
03-28-2006, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by CelicaST-162
I agree you should be following the menu. But it seems people get surprised when they come in for service expect 0.00$, and get shocked with a dust and pollen filter for 51$...hahaha

back on topic...;) any thoughts on the ford freestyle?

http://arabam.milliyet.com.tr/fuar/2004/detroit/ford_freestyle_xx.jpg

CelicaST-162
03-28-2006, 07:43 PM
Looks good, Toyota Highlander perhaps?

umreeka91
03-28-2006, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by CelicaST-162
Looks good, Toyota Highlander perhaps?

would be top on list, however not 7 seater, and also high finance rates..( looking for low lease, ford is giving 0% ;) )

Godfuader
03-28-2006, 08:18 PM
^^ but the ford resale will be next to nothing. If you plan on keeping the vehicle for a very long time then you may consider domestics because resale is not an issue. But then again, you have to make the choice between good rates and good quality. Honestly take them out for a test drive, you will be surprised by what each car feels like.

umreeka91
03-28-2006, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Godfuader
^^ but the ford resale will be next to nothing. If you plan on keeping the vehicle for a very long time then you may consider domestics because resale is not an issue. But then again, you have to make the choice between good rates and good quality. Honestly take them out for a test drive, you will be surprised by what each car feels like.

definately agreed, we have owned a Ford Winstar before..and it was shit compared to the Odyssey...i know what you are saying, but the highlander is still only 5 seats, we need atleast 6! Rav4 is out of question since only compatible model is like 40kish...and also its small. Pathfinder vs. Freestyle is what it comes down too....

dino_martini
03-28-2006, 09:37 PM
Get a minivan. Toyota Sienna, Honda Odessey. Both very good minivans. I say this because on most SUV's, the third row seats are a joke.

umreeka91
03-28-2006, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini
Get a minivan. Toyota Sienna, Honda Odessey. Both very good minivans. I say this because on most SUV's, the third row seats are a joke.

ya man, that right now is my main concern, howeve ri have the choices narrowed...will take a look at all these options for sure!!! Just the 7% interest on Imports that will kill us..

Rav4Guy
03-28-2006, 09:51 PM
highlander has 7 seats.

umreeka91
03-28-2006, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Rav4Guy
highlander has 7 seats.

http://arach.net.au/~sic/pics/orly.JPG

Rav4Guy
03-28-2006, 09:59 PM
^

yes.

http://www.toyota.ca/NWS/media/highlander/interior/i_int_0.jpg

umreeka91
03-28-2006, 10:11 PM
If i trade my Odyssey in, will they give me cash if i go into a lease?

Rav4Guy
03-28-2006, 10:13 PM
no. it'll be like a downpayment on the vehicle.

Godfuader
03-28-2006, 10:19 PM
But you still need to remember that if you need at least a 6 seater SUV, you need to start looking at the Sequoia to have comfortable space for all. You need a minivan from the looks of it. Dont get a SUV for the hell of it. A minivan would be your ideal choice. And like i mentioned, test drive the awd sienna, feels like a SUV.

umreeka91
03-28-2006, 10:22 PM
no. it'll be like a downpayment on the vehicle.

shit! so i cannot sell it to the dealer at all???

Rav4Guy
03-28-2006, 10:24 PM
they aren't going to give you cash for it. If you need cash, then sell it privately. You'll get more money anyways.

umreeka91
03-28-2006, 10:27 PM
they aren't going to give you cash for it. If you need cash, then sell it privately. You'll get more money anyways.

that may have to be an option, the problem is that if we do a downpayment, and get into a serious crash a few months after, the car is totaled, we lose the downpayment no?!?

Azn_Rice_Man
03-28-2006, 10:27 PM
The 06 Honda Odyessy is the best minivan there is on the current market! It's got the HP, all the luxuries, plus very roomy! It handles really well for a minivan but doesn't drain gas, while you know you can trust Honda quality! No, I don't work for Honda by any means, but we have one at home, so I know how it is.

As for the RAV4, it's good only if you're expecting it as a 5-seater. It's not big enough for 7 people to fit comfortably, even if they were kids. However, it is a great sub-SUV, especially the V6 models with 269 HP and good fuel economy!

FiveFreshFish
03-28-2006, 10:32 PM
If i trade my Odyssey in, will they give me cash if i go into a lease?

Keep in mind that a trade goes to reducing the price of the vehicle, which means you pay less GST. Example: buy a vehicle worth $40k and yours is worth $25k. You would only pay GST on $15k difference.

But more than likely, you'll still come out ahead by selling privately and paying the GST on the full purchase price with no trade.

umreeka91
03-28-2006, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Keep in mind that a trade goes to reducing the price of the vehicle, which means you pay less GST. Example: buy a vehicle worth $40k and yours is worth $25k. You would only pay GST on $15k difference.

But more than likely, you'll still come out ahead by selling privately and paying the GST on the full purchase price with no trade.

ya, but is it worth all that hassle to go through selling it private?

FiveFreshFish
03-28-2006, 10:47 PM
that may have to be an option, the problem is that if we do a downpayment, and get into a serious crash a few months after, the car is totaled, we lose the downpayment no?!?
When you buy a new vehicle, some insurance companies provide special coverage that protects you against depreciation in the case of a total loss, usually for 24 months after you bought it. Check with your insurance company.

ya, but is it worth all that hassle to go through selling it private?
It can be a difference of up to thousands of dollars which may or may not be worth the hassle, depending on the seller and the vehicle. Personally, I always sell privately.

umreeka91
03-28-2006, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

When you buy a new vehicle, some insurance companies provide special coverage that protects you against depreciation in the case of a total loss, usually for 24 months after you bought it. Check with your insurance company.

It can be a difference of up to thousands of dollars which may or may not be worth the hassle, depending on the seller and the vehicle. Personally, I always sell privately.

Cheers for the advise guys!

HRD2PLZ
03-29-2006, 09:03 AM
Unless your going to get a large SUV (Sequoia, etc) then there is no point in getting a mid-sized with 3rd row seating. While their may be enough room for small children right now, what about 2 - 3 years down the road? 3rd row seating in a mid-sized SUV is only good for occasional use. Your best bet is the minivan for sure. And in my books, Toyota trumps Honda any day :thumbsup:

umreeka91
03-29-2006, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by HRD2PLZ
Unless your going to get a large SUV (Sequoia, etc) then there is no point in getting a mid-sized with 3rd row seating. While their may be enough room for small children right now, what about 2 - 3 years down the road? 3rd row seating in a mid-sized SUV is only good for occasional use. Your best bet is the minivan for sure. And in my books, Toyota trumps Honda any day :thumbsup:

as for the 2-3 years down the road remark...if its lease on 3 yrs then no problem :P

HRD2PLZ
03-29-2006, 09:24 AM

as for the 2-3 years down the road remark...if its lease on 3 yrs then no problem :P

Trust me... we previously owned full-sized SUV's with 3rd row seating and its a world of a difference over the midsize with 3rd row we have now. I can't even remember the last time we used the 3rd row. And if you plan to travel, you have almost zero cargo room. The Rav will definitely be too small... even something like the Highlander or Pilot would be cutting it pretty close.