PDA

View Full Version : Stripped Spark Plugs

Howl
03-26-2006, 06:04 PM
So i went to change the spark plugs on my car (1998 accord v6) for the first time since i have owned it and discovered that one plug was really hard to get out. I didn't want to take it out all the way just incase the thread is stripped. Now i am worried that this plug is not properly threaded into the head. Anyone come across this before? and what did you do about it?
Any suggestions are much appreciated....

Supa Dexta
03-26-2006, 06:47 PM
Well it's going to have to come out... Either torque that bitch slow and steady, pipe for leverage or what have you.. Or take it somewares to get it out.. A stripped head is a fuggin' mess to get yourself into....

Howl
03-26-2006, 07:13 PM
Well the plug is in there and it may be cross threaded, or it could be just stuck with debris. Seems to run fine... no missfires or anything, but i don't know if i should try to take that plug out now or leave it in

Howl
03-26-2006, 07:18 PM
I'm worried that if i take it out it will end up being stripped. The way the head is, there is no way to see if it is cross threaded or its just shit stuck in the threads

barbarian
03-26-2006, 11:10 PM
It could have loose and been leaking, exhaust gases escaped through the threads and got crap in the threads.

Supa Dexta
03-26-2006, 11:27 PM
Quite unlikely...^ If you have loose plugs to the extent of gas leaks, it won't be running great and you'll hear it.... Nowadays the plugs they put in cars are good from 50-100k so they are in there a long damn time and heat/slight corrosion makes them stick like a bastard.. I doubt it crossthreaded (not impossible) but my guess is, its just been in there so long its bonded somewhat.. Leave it there if you want, but it will likely come out with enough persistance.. Don't jerk on it, a good strong fluid motion with enough leverage will move it.. But get the shop to do it if you dont' feel comfortable and want it out someday.... goodluck

Howl
03-27-2006, 12:34 AM
yeah for sure... just a little hesistant incase it is cross threaded. you never know who owned the car before you and why they might have sold it...

Zero102
03-27-2006, 09:30 AM
Soak it down with liquid wrench or wd-40, and work it back and forth.
Take it out 1 full turn, back in 1/2 turn, then repeat.
It should start to free up. If you want, soak it down, let it sit for a couple hours then spray it again and start trying to remove it.

If it's just corrosion this should get it out with little trouble.

Had a similar problem with my dad's bonneville. at 150,000km the spark plugs were original (supposed to be changed at 80,000km), and 3 of them were seriously stuck. So stuck that we thought they were cross-threaded as well. The trick above got them out quite nicely, after 1 or 2 times going back and forth, they freed up and came right out.

Go4Long
03-27-2006, 06:15 PM
I would run it and then try to remove it...it'd be kinda like torching it then tryin to remove it...that's how I got the bolt out of my o2 housing...