PDA

View Full Version : Accord v6- worth it?

Stratus_Power
03-20-2003, 08:21 PM
does it really worth the extra 3 or 4 grand for the V6-6speed model of accord??

and which one better, accord or Mazda6 (or Jetta 1.8T)

Glowrider
03-20-2003, 08:25 PM
I'd go for the Accord V6 hands down.

Weapon_R
03-20-2003, 08:30 PM
I don't think the Jetta can compare with either, but if you are looking at the newer models, the Accord is a little nicer than the Mazda6.

It's very much worth the extra few grand. Resale value is much higher for the v6 model, it's loaded with all of the luxuries, and the powerful v6 engine is no slouch compared to the 4cyls...

redline_13000
03-20-2003, 08:52 PM
its a great car, a friend of mine has one

max_boost
03-20-2003, 08:59 PM
LOL
Here we go again!
I lose track if it is you, lammer or xylathane asking these same questions......:rofl:

Stratus_Power
03-20-2003, 09:15 PM
probably all me hahah

max_boost
03-20-2003, 09:18 PM
And I would not get the new accord SEdan, but rather I would definitely give the TSX a look......which is basically the Euro accord!

But when you are spending well over $30k.....here is my plug again
How about a used C-Class Sedan with Rieger kit? :bigpimp: haha

Stratus_Power
03-20-2003, 09:23 PM
nm

Stratus_Power
03-20-2003, 09:24 PM
im banned from benz/bmw/Lexus/audi :(

max_boost
03-20-2003, 09:26 PM
Too playboy?
LOL
What about a Miata then, that is the cheapest convertible on the market......

Then plan B.....plug #2

How about a RSX?!?!

Stratus_Power
03-20-2003, 09:29 PM
never mind

max_boost
03-20-2003, 09:30 PM
RSX-S is the best car out of those listed......
but wait, your not buying until september? :confused:

Stratus_Power
03-20-2003, 09:32 PM
never mind

V6-BoI
03-20-2003, 09:47 PM
Yeah I'd pay the 3 or 4 grand for the V6 model.
I drive the 5'th gen V6, pretty good car, just too bad it's auto.
Yeah I agree with max_boost, the new sedan looks like ass, the front looks good kinda like an S2000, but the back looks like a saturn. But the Coupe is nice though.

GTS Jeff
03-20-2003, 11:02 PM
dude.

ACCORD COUPE EX-V6 6-SPEED

tons faster than all the other cars that ure considering(240hp on a manual man), way more fun (thanks to the 6 speed and really well tuned suspension), and looks absolutely beautiful (and how many do u see on hte road compared to damn 1.8Ts). btw, the 6 speed only comes in coupes

next up would be the mazda 6, a good performer for handling, not that fast, but looks killer. only problem is, its a mazda.

the vw, bleh. u have to deal with reliability issues and expensive maintenance. otherwise, good interior, cool engine, and pretty fun ride. but i think those jettas are a little too "trendy" for my tastes.

5.9 R/T
03-20-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

the vw, bleh. u have to deal with reliability issues and expensive maintenance. otherwise, good interior, cool engine, and pretty fun ride. but i think those jettas are a little too "trendy" for my tastes.

WTF is wrong with you man? EVERYONE loves veedubs. I think i heard somewhere that a jetta compares to a 3 series, only it's better because its a vw.

EVOI
03-21-2003, 12:06 AM
next up would be the mazda 6, a good performer for handling, not that fast, but looks killer. only problem is, its a mazda.

hey~what's wrong with mazda?~well i never drive one so just asking~:confused:

Stratus_Power
03-21-2003, 01:38 AM
but the accord v6 is also significantly more expensive.. i think its the same options as the EX-L plus maybe power seat and.. yeh.. but u end up dishing out 3-4k just for the little extra power.. is it really worth it.. im wondering...

T5_X
03-21-2003, 01:40 AM
Find yourself a 3rd gen acura legend 6 speed :thumbsup:

GTS Jeff
03-21-2003, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by Stratus_Power
but the accord v6 is also significantly more expensive.. i think its the same options as the EX-L plus maybe power seat and.. yeh.. but u end up dishing out 3-4k just for the little extra power.. is it really worth it.. im wondering... dude, its not a "little" extra power...its 0.6L of displacement and 80 more horsepower. its the difference between slow and fast.

lammer
03-21-2003, 03:39 AM
im with you stratus aha back off Max_Boost!!

MerfBall
03-21-2003, 09:15 AM
The new accord looks like ass. I agree on a TSX over the new accord. I was watching car and driver and they did a review of the new V6 and I've heard from there and other sources that the new accord has lost its driving fun.

In terms of Jetta if your looking at V6 models why would you even look at the 1.8T, you should be looking at the VR6. You'll be extremely happy with the VR6, also while the jetta has had its issues in the past with reliability, the consumer reports for the past two years has shown it is extremely reliable, while repair costs still remain high. Also note that the Jetta has the best warranty compared to honda and mazda.

GTS Jeff
03-21-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by MerfBall
I was watching car and driver and they did a review of the new V6 and I've heard from there and other sources that the new accord has lost its driving fun. funny, i got this from car and driver online...

"Naturally, we found the V-6 two-door with the six-speed highly captivating. With 240 horses harnessed to the very slick-shifting transmission, this is one quick machine when you wind it out to its 6800-rpm redline. Yet all the thrust flowing through the front tires doesn't pollute the steering, which is notably accurate and precise. Brake feel is linear and firm, with just a hint of initial softness to ease smooth application.

With plenty of grip from the 17-inch tires and excellent control of body motions, it all adds up to an exhilarating ride on a winding country road. You might even think of this two-door V-6 Accord as the reincarnation of the much-missed Prelude, although rear-seat room is far more spacious than the Prelude's ever was."

max_boost
03-21-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Ranger_X31
Find yourself a 3rd gen acura legend 6 speed :thumbsup:

Man, those are so rare I think.....they have kept their value so well, it is hard to find one with low kms!

Originally posted by lammer
im with you stratus aha back off Max_Boost!!

Dude, you guys need to make up your mind, and at least test drive the cars.....every week you guys post something up, I mean, at least drive it! LOL

The new accord looks like ass. I agree on a TSX over the new accord. I was watching car and driver and they did a review of the new V6 and I've heard from there and other sources that the new accord has lost its driving fun.

In terms of Jetta if your looking at V6 models why would you even look at the 1.8T, you should be looking at the VR6. You'll be extremely happy with the VR6, also while the jetta has had its issues in the past with reliability, the consumer reports for the past two years has shown it is extremely reliable, while repair costs still remain high. Also note that the Jetta has the best warranty compared to honda and mazda.

Why the VR6 over the 1.8T? With the price difference, you can tweak the 1.8T into a monster! Being no VW guru, I don't recall seeing any notable differences in the two models while sitting in FD's Jetta's
:dunno:

MerfBall
03-21-2003, 12:36 PM
funny, i got this from car and driver online...

"Naturally, we found the V-6 two-door with the six-speed highly captivating. With 240 horses harnessed to the very slick-shifting transmission, this is one quick machine when you wind it out to its 6800-rpm redline. Yet all the thrust flowing through the front tires doesn't pollute the steering, which is notably accurate and precise. Brake feel is linear and firm, with just a hint of initial softness to ease smooth application.

With plenty of grip from the 17-inch tires and excellent control of body motions, it all adds up to an exhilarating ride on a winding country road. You might even think of this two-door V-6 Accord as the reincarnation of the much-missed Prelude, although rear-seat room is far more spacious than the Prelude's ever was."

This is also from Car and Driver. And what I got was from the TV show. So prob different opinions from different drivers. In any event go test drive the cars you have and see which one you like more.

THE VERDICT
Honda Accord EX

Highs: Superb integration, marvelous balance.

Lows: Frumpy rear-end styling.

The Verdict: This is also from Car and Driver.

THE VERDICT
Honda Accord EX

Highs: Superb integration, marvelous balance.

Lows: Frumpy rear-end styling.

The Verdict: Sweeping utility and enjoyment

THE VERDICT
Honda Accord EX V-6

Highs: Acceleration, plus every virtue to which Consumer Reports can award a red dot.

Lows: Braking performance, driver adrenaline and endorphin levels.

The Verdict: A sure thing to win over millions of minds, if few hearts.

THE VERDICT
Honda Accord EX V-6

Highs: Acceleration, plus every virtue to which Consumer Reports can award a red dot.

Lows: Braking performance, driver adrenaline and endorphin levels.

The Verdict: A sure thing to win over millions of minds, if few hearts.

Originally posted by max_boost

Why the VR6 over the 1.8T? With the price difference, you can tweak the 1.8T into a monster! Being no VW guru, I don't recall seeing any notable differences in the two models while sitting in FD's Jetta's
:dunno:

I'm no vw guru either, but I am a recent convert ;). I only say the VR6 because it comes in a 6 speed and he has a higher base to work with, if he really wants to tweak it I'm sure you could always drop a turbo or SC into the VR6 and that would give it that modding potential, IF he was looking for that.

max_boost
03-21-2003, 12:42 PM
I'm no vw guru either, but I am a recent convert ;). I only say the VR6 because it comes in a 6 speed and he has a higher base to work with, if he really wants to tweak it I'm sure you could always drop a turbo or SC into the VR6 and that would give it that modding potential, IF he was looking for that.

Bolt ons will do wonders to the 1.8T motor.....if performance is what you are after, I wouldn't consider the VR6.....

lammer
03-21-2003, 01:15 PM
well i would like to test drive these cars but...appreatnly they don't allow 17-18 yr olds to drive them..
:rolleyes:

Altezza
03-21-2003, 01:21 PM

My friend's ex used to (or still does) work at Northland VW and he said the 1.8T engines are in for warranty work all the time. I don't recall the exact problem, but it has to do with VW's bov/wg combo unit or something like that. :dunno:

I'm not a real big fan of VW either.

max_boost
03-21-2003, 01:43 PM
well i would like to test drive these cars but...appreatnly they don't allow 17-18 yr olds to drive them..
:rolleyes:

If you go in by yourself, think about it, would you hand the keys over to a 17-18 year old? Of course not, given statistics and how so many of them crash their cars......

But if you go in with your parents, now that is a different story......all I'm saying is, instead of constantly talking about all these cars, at least drive them....after driving them you can basically toss more than half of them out......just a thought.....

Altezza
03-21-2003, 01:56 PM

If you go in by yourself, think about it, would you hand the keys over to a 17-18 year old? Of course not, given statistics and how so many of them crash their cars......

Better think twice if you want to test drive a Lexus if you're young as well. There was these two kids (brothers) who took an IS300 out for a test drive with their grandparents. Well, let's just say that they had to tow it back to the dealership cuz they rolled it.

Edit: This was at Stampede Lexus.

max_boost
03-21-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Altezza

Better think twice if you want to test drive a Lexus if you're young as well. There was these two kids (brothers) who took an IS300 out for a test drive with their grandparents. Well, let's just say that they had to tow it back to the dealership cuz they rolled it.

Edit: This was at Stampede Lexus.

Yes, when CRXguy and I were test driving a 01 IS300, the salesguy was pretty worried that we might crash the car lol

So what came about after that accident? Who was liable?

MerfBall
03-21-2003, 02:07 PM

all I'm saying is, instead of constantly talking about all these cars, at least drive them....after driving them you can basically toss more than half of them out......just a thought.....

max_boost is right, people can you give you all the opinions in the world but each person has what their own preference, look already max prefers the 1.8T and I prefer the VR6, how would you really know the diff until you drove both.

Altezza
03-21-2003, 02:20 PM

Yes, when CRXguy and I were test driving a 01 IS300, the salesguy was pretty worried that we might crash the car lol

So what came about after that accident? Who was liable?

I found that in '01, I never had a problem test driving the car at all and neither did any of my friends. It was in '02 when the manuals arrived that they started to get a little worried. Then when the two kids rolled the car, they started to get quite picky on who they let out with the keys.

Stampede took the hit for the car. There was over $20k in damage and Contemporary Coachworks got their hands on it, fixed it up and sold it as 3rd party non-related to Stampede. There was no way Stampede would even think about selling that car, no matter who did or how well the repair was.

What's ironic is that the family of those kids sued Stampede Lexus for letting them test drive the car without proper supervision. :confused:

max_boost
03-21-2003, 02:25 PM

I found that in '01, I never had a problem test driving the car at all and neither did any of my friends. It was in '02 when the manuals arrived that they started to get a little worried. Then when the two kids rolled the car, they started to get quite picky on who they let out with the keys.

Stampede took the hit for the car. There was over $20k in damage and Contemporary Coachworks got their hands on it, fixed it up and sold it as 3rd party non-related to Stampede. There was no way Stampede would even think about selling that car, no matter who did or how well the repair was.

What's ironic is that the family of those kids sued Stampede Lexus for letting them test drive the car without proper supervision. :confused:

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!
:banghead: :banghead:
Man, that is fcuking retarded! Something Ludelvr would do:confused:

Stratus_Power
03-21-2003, 03:16 PM
hehe opinions are i wanted now :P I cannot go test drive anything until im back home (calgary) which is after my finals.. so before then, just want to get some opinions from you guys, a little research here and there.. ya know

max_boost
03-21-2003, 04:14 PM
hehe opinions are i wanted now :P I cannot go test drive anything until im back home (calgary) which is after my finals.. so before then, just want to get some opinions from you guys, a little research here and there.. ya know

The site is pretty divided amongst what car is best......plus there are reviews all over the internet, Edmunds, Motor Trend, Car and Driver etc.

I think it is about time you take the next step before you start getting flamed like a mofo! haha:bullshit: :rofl: j/k

Stratus_Power
03-21-2003, 04:16 PM
the only one flaming me is you damnit!! haha

max_boost
03-21-2003, 04:19 PM
the only one flaming me is you damnit!! haha

Trust me.....that ain't flaming man......you better watch out before someone unleashes the wrath on you bench car buyers......:thumbsup:

Look at what is happening to Xylathane.....:rofl:

Stratus_Power
03-21-2003, 04:20 PM

Trust me.....that ain't flaming man......you better watch out before someone unleashes the wrath on you bench car buyers......:thumbsup:

Look at what is happening to Xylathane.....:rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

szw
03-22-2003, 02:07 AM
One good way to test drive a car...is to call ahead. Talk with somebody, let them know you are 17 and your parents are buying you a car up to X amount of dollars. Tell them what you want, and make an appt to test drive the car.

Work out the details (test drive alone, with sales guy, with parent accompanying)...then set a time and show up.

It shows more promise to the sales guy that he will actually get a sale, rather than some kid who walks in the door asking for a test drive.

lammer
03-22-2003, 01:06 PM
but my parents don't haev all the time in the world, they work morning till 7-8ish, and when they get home they may be; tired, hungry or something else comes up..if they had time ya i would be glad to goto dealerships and go testdrives with them. but my parents schedule isn't the best thing in the world..

max_boost
03-22-2003, 02:29 PM
but my parents don't haev all the time in the world, they work morning till 7-8ish, and when they get home they may be; tired, hungry or something else comes up..if they had time ya i would be glad to goto dealerships and go testdrives with them. but my parents schedule isn't the best thing in the world..

Well then, I guess you ain't getting a car:rofl:

Stratus_Power
03-22-2003, 05:30 PM
i have a bigger problem than test driving.. im still arguing w/ my mom on letting me get a standard.. she's giving me the whole if she's paying for part of it then she should be able to drive it speech.. frick

lammer
03-22-2003, 05:31 PM

Well then, I guess you ain't getting a car:rofl:

haha max you bastard!

Stratus_Power
03-22-2003, 05:48 PM
im just waiting to hit the 22mill Super 7 jackpot next week :P

three.eighteen.
03-22-2003, 08:12 PM
im banned from benz/bmw/Lexus/audi :(

i got a free pass :tongue:

FiveFreshFish
03-22-2003, 09:36 PM
i have a bigger problem than test driving.. im still arguing w/ my mom on letting me get a standard.. she's giving me the whole if she's paying for part of it then she should be able to drive it speech.. frick

With the $1000+ you'll save by buying a manual, you can send your mom to driving school! :D

My vote is for the Mini Cooper S. Sure it's BMW, but there's no BMW badge on it.

max_boost
03-23-2003, 01:58 AM
If you guys are willing to pay me, I'll take you guys to test drive any car you want.....must be under $50K though haha

I'll pretend to be your cousin and do all the talking for you too! haha

three.eighteen.
03-23-2003, 02:04 AM

i didnt know how to drive standard, it takes like an hour not to fuck yourself in most situations, and a week to get around alright, skills set in as far as you wanna try stuff...if the car u own is standard, guaranteed you'll learn how...how else does she expect you to learn? if at all?

Stratus_Power
03-23-2003, 04:11 AM
she doesnt! thats the problem! she said i can drive allt he standard i want when im done school and go buy my own car

Stratus_Power
03-23-2003, 04:16 AM
If you guys are willing to pay me, I'll take you guys to test drive any car you want.....must be under $50K though haha

I'll pretend to be your cousin and do all the talking for you too! haha

hehe thanx but nah, 90% of my search is gonna be used , and hopefully from private so i dont have to pay the GST.

and im seriously considering Tiburon too! ( Tuscani)
take that all of u!!

GTS Jeff
03-23-2003, 12:58 PM
i have a bigger problem than test driving.. im still arguing w/ my mom on letting me get a standard.. she's giving me the whole if she's paying for part of it then she should be able to drive it speech.. frick then teach her standard.

GTS Jeff
03-23-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.

i didnt know how to drive standard, it takes like an hour not to fuck yourself in most situations, and a week to get around alright, skills set in as far as you wanna try stuff...if the car u own is standard, guaranteed you'll learn how...how else does she expect you to learn? if at all? :werd: actually since a couple days ago ive been trying some faster shifting nick-stylez haha

max_boost
03-23-2003, 01:40 PM

hehe thanx but nah, 90% of my search is gonna be used , and hopefully from private so i dont have to pay the GST.

and im seriously considering Tiburon too! ( Tuscani)
take that all of u!!

Tiburon? Oh I'm so scared :rofl:I'll wait till you get a car first....any car hehe

And you can test drive used cars at dealers too.....I doubt you be able to show up at someones house, and go "yah I like your car, can I drive it"?!?! lol

Altezza
03-23-2003, 05:01 PM

And you can test drive used cars at dealers too.....I doubt you be able to show up at someones house, and go "yah I like your car, can I drive it"?!?! lol

Can I show up at your house and drive yours? :clap: :clap: :clap:

max_boost
03-23-2003, 09:47 PM

Can I show up at your house and drive yours? :clap: :clap: :clap: haha if you let me drive yours!:thumbsup: