PDA

View Full Version : new sound system

cwazee
03-27-2006, 02:14 AM
i just bought a car (1995 mercury topaz) and i want to get a good sound system in it, i want to replace all the speakers and the tape deck, i just dont kno what to buy, i want good subs and good speakers, any suggestions on what speakers, subs and amp to buy?

cwazee
03-27-2006, 02:22 AM
my price range is anywhere from $800 - $1200 CAD

cycosis
03-27-2006, 11:44 AM
with that money u wont be aquiring and decenet quality sub or amp, i suggest go for a nice alpine mp3 deck and some JL speakers. my impala gets plenty of bass out of them, u wont be wasting money on a shitty bass engine that will either sound like shit or blow up in a few weeks or both.

spike98
03-27-2006, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by cycosis
with that money u wont be aquiring and decenet quality sub or amp, i suggest go for a nice alpine mp3 deck and some JL speakers. my impala gets plenty of bass out of them, u wont be wasting money on a shitty bass engine that will either sound like shit or blow up in a few weeks or both.

I disagree 1200 is easy to put together a nice entry level system.

300 for Deck
200 for JBL 600.1 off ebay
300 For nice componant speakers
200 For entry level sub (alpine type S or something of the like maybe even go used) I have 2 MB Quart 12's im selling for $150 hint hint
200 for Wiring and box (Futureshop has been rumored to be selling boxes for 9.99 or build one yourself)

With all this you will have a great sounding system that will be 110% better than stock.

A good system is 40% gear and 60% install

brett_00civic
03-27-2006, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by spike98

A good system is 40% gear and 60% install

I dont think that even if those numbers were reversed that would be true, it is more like 70% equipment, 30% gear, especially since he will deffinetly be going with a pre made box, not building a false floor or something like that.

Graham_A_M
03-27-2006, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by cycosis

:nut: maybe you should do a little more research before you go on these idiotic drunken rants:thumbsup:

Actually $1200 is WAY MORE THEN YOU NEED to build an amazing system, particularily if you dont mind buying used. My 150db IASCA system cost me $1400 to build, its 4600 watts RMS and will make the body of my car do waves.. Probably the loudest deepest cleanest bass you'll ever hear. Did I mention it cost me $1400 to piece it all together? :dunno:

Even new, you can get a good MTX or Cerwin Vega amp for $500 or so, and have that powering an IDmax sub. Thats under $1000 and will sound stellar!!

Its all about WHAT YOU KNOW, not how much you can spend. A former friend of mine blew $7,000 on a stereo for his Explorer Sport-tac. You know what? he could have had the same system for $1200 that would have eaten that alive. But he was a rich idiot that walked into A&B sound just eating out of the hands of the salespeople.

He walked out of there too proud and stubborn to admit that a given $1000 stereo would give him a TOTAL run for his money. :banghead:

Its all about the know-how.

spike98
03-27-2006, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by brett_00civic

I dont think that even if those numbers were reversed that would be true, it is more like 70% equipment, 30% gear, especially since he will deffinetly be going with a pre made box, not building a false floor or something like that.

Are you speaking from experiance? I have baught, sold and installed almost every brand, size, and shape of audio equipment out there. Trust me when i say that a good system is all about install. I had heard Dr crankenstien subs play louder and lower than mainstream brand subs. $1200 is MORE than enough to build a system that will compete with the mid-priced (or say overpriced) stuff that is out there.