PDA

View Full Version : NSX question

HillBilly
03-27-2006, 10:07 AM
hi guys and gays..

I have been thinking about picking up an early model Acura NSX (91-94). Just something I can drive to the office and back everyday.

Anybody have any ifo about them? Reliability?

spanx

kevie88
03-27-2006, 10:16 AM
It's a Honda. Wondering about reliability? Think really really cool and fast Accord!! haha

Seriously, it's an awesome car. I remember back in 91' when I was in High School one of my friends had one, and I got a ride home in it all the time. I've wanted one ever since and I've been pretty seriously considering getting one in the next year or so.

1-Bar
03-27-2006, 10:30 AM
only gripe I hear is maintenance, since the engine is in the middle, space is cramped. You have to pull a lot of things even for small work.....but hey, if you can afford an NA1, well you doing pretty good anyways......

That.Guy.S30
03-27-2006, 11:18 AM
my cousin had one. a 91 to be exact. it was a freakin cool car no problems.

yea the only thing is maintainence, i dont know how much acrua charges but its probably alot. also its a rwd car so i dont know how well it will do in our winters.

something else to take into consideration is that the body is very fragile. damage repairs are $$$$

HTN SWCHS
03-27-2006, 11:22 AM
do companies import them???

Tech2
03-27-2006, 11:29 AM
You're not going to drive an NSX in the winter I think :dunno:

HillBilly
03-27-2006, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Tech2
You're not going to drive an NSX in the winter I think :dunno:

I was planning on it. (no I don't live in Saskatoon a.k.a. "The Arctic")

We get on average, 6-8 inches of snow a year, and 3-5 days a year of -30 or worse. The rest of the time, its like a cool fall all winter.

other cars I have considered are;

Mercedes Benz SLK
Mercedes Benz CLK
Porsche Boxster
BMW Z3

Gravy_83
03-27-2006, 12:40 PM
i think the nsx is in a class above all those cars you named up there

talonboi
03-27-2006, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by HTN SWCHS
do companies import them???
they do, but it cost the same amount, but you have to pay shipping fee's, so its the car+shipping. better off buying it here

JAYMEZ
03-27-2006, 01:17 PM
If you want to have it for an every day car , I would say go for it! I was also really considering buying an NSX , but it just didnt fit in the range of modding that I wanted.

Hell if you have the money , go for it , it drives awesome and has alot of sex apeal... Defiantly a good choice of car :thumbsup:

Check the US for some good deals down there , are money is very strong right now.

Orbie
03-27-2006, 01:18 PM
I've seen a few good deals on NSX's in Calgary and Canada I would probably do that than go through the process of importing.

Tech2
03-27-2006, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Gravy_83

What he said. NSX is pure sex, even the name sounds like it. I suppose if you have only a few bad days you could take the bus or catch a ride or whatever. Even with my 2 though I have a truck so I don't need to worry. If you do drive in the winter, just take extra extra extra care of it.

BlueFrenzy
03-27-2006, 02:14 PM
Those NSX's are quite reliable. My friend owns one and says he absolutely loves it (I believe it's a 94). He's actually going to sell it because he's thinking of getting a Vette. Let me know if you're interested in his (black I believe). Man those NSX are SO low to the ground ... feels like your in a tricycle.

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-27-2006, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Gravy_83
it screams sexy :drool:

moe007
03-27-2006, 02:47 PM
they are very sexy cars

rc2002
03-27-2006, 02:55 PM
The NSX looks cool, but that's about it. It's not particularly fast, and it's yesterday's technology. They still sell for a LOT of money these days too - way more than they're worth IMO.

Weapon_R
03-27-2006, 02:59 PM
One thing to consider is the age of the vehicle you are likely to get - the other options you listed will be much newer and likely more reliable and better suited for our weather. The NSX is in a league of its own, however. Weather may not be an issue, but road conditions may take a toll on the aesthetics, and it would may cost quite a bit to find someone skilled enough to clean up the aluminum body.

Importing a U.S. spec car may cost around a little less, but you can be sure that you will have 20 times the selection. You can selectively choose the car you want, whereas here you will often be hard pressed to find more than a handful for sale.

Gravy_83
03-27-2006, 03:01 PM
imo the nsx is not about speed it's about the driving experience I tried following one in my rx7 in a twisty road and couldn't touch it. and everyone knows an rx7 can be driven hard in corners and I still couldn't come close.

heavyD
03-27-2006, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
The NSX looks cool, but that's about it. It's not particularly fast, and it's yesterday's technology.

While I agree that they aren't speed demons but what is so "yesterday" about all-aluminum, rear engine, RWD vehicle that today still looks & handles better than most cars on the road? Hell variable valve timing still isn't in every car you buy these days.

me&you
03-27-2006, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

While I agree that they aren't speed demons but what is so "yesterday" about all-aluminum, rear engine, RWD vehicle that today still looks & handles better than most cars on the road? Hell variable valve timing still isn't in every car you buy these days.

Mid-engine ;)

HillBilly
03-27-2006, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by me&you

Mid-engine ;)

thats whats so appealing to me.

I suppose I could get an MR2..

but I'm not a chick.

95EagleAWD
03-27-2006, 03:43 PM
PM me... I'm importing one very, very soon.

An NA1, 5 speed. Also, check out www.nsxprime.com for the goods.

Lots of guys drive them everyday, all year, in the snow, whatever... I'm convinced it'll work for me in Edmonton, so you should be good.

Tech2
03-27-2006, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by HillBilly

I suppose I could get an MR2..

but I'm not a chick.

:( That hurt my feelings! :(

NSX being sex is true, but being very masculine? Maybe so if you think guys are sexy. There are lots more manly cars out there than MR2s and NSXs.

I still say get the NSX, and consider getting a lift in the winter.

rc2002
03-27-2006, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

It's supposed to be Acura's flagship, but the entire production run had very few design changes. Acura has come a long way since. If I'm paying that kind of coin, I would rather have something newer and with more gadgets like the RL - 300HP, VSA, AWD, Swivelling HID projectors, 4 piston calipers, etc. etc. Old man's car, I know, but I would take one of those over an NSX anyday.

95EagleAWD
03-27-2006, 06:43 PM
The RL is a nice sedan, but it can't compete with the NSX, 15 years old or not. The 97+ NSXs with the 6-speed and 290bhp engines are fast cars, no doubt. 1/4 in the high 12s. They're not as slow as their specs make it out to be.

I like the "no gadgets" theme of the NSX. I like to drive the car, not have it tell me where to go or anything like that. Yes, it has ABS and TCS, but that's it. And the TCS is defeatable, and, actually not a good idea in a mid-engined car. (the last thing you want to do when the back end is coming around is to let off the gas.)

You realize that the reason today's Ferraris and Lamborghinis are decently reliable now is because of the NSX, right?

I'll take my '91 NSX anyday, and smoke 95% of the cars out there when the road takes a bend.

CKY
03-27-2006, 06:50 PM
other cars I have considered are;

Mercedes Benz SLK
Mercedes Benz CLK
Porsche Boxster
BMW Z3

Z3? Did you mean Z4? If it is a Z3 I'd say go for it. Just because of how rare it is in Canada. I'm a little biased though, I'm in love with that car. :drool:

Vagabond142
03-27-2006, 07:03 PM
The thing about the NSX is that service is a bitch. It's a supercar (albeit a japanese supercar) so it does have some supercar pricing about the replacement parts. That being said, you can do your own oil changes and minor maintenance with the oodles of resources out there on the net and in books and shop guides and such.

My personal opinion.... I believe in the commercial that Honda made when the NSX first came out..."Some things are worth the price" :bigpimp:

BTW, I'll be getting either an NSX or an S2000 when I get enough money. Both are my dream cars... and I will have one in the next 5 years, barring any grievous problems :)

rc2002
03-27-2006, 07:27 PM
If I had a 12 second car, I would race an NSX for slips. There is no way an NSX (stock) could hit 12 seconds. No possible way.

It's a very nice all around car - has a bit of everything, but if you're buying a car for performance, buy a Z06.

liquidboi69
03-27-2006, 07:41 PM
According to Fifth Gear, the NSX topped reliability charts along with a Lexus when it first came out.

BerserkerCatSplat
03-27-2006, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD
The RL is a nice sedan, but it can't compete with the NSX, 15 years old or not. The 97+ NSXs with the 6-speed and 290bhp engines are fast cars, no doubt. 1/4 in the high 12s. They're not as slow as their specs make it out to be.

High 12's for a regular NSX, you're dreaming - an NSX-R can barely hit 12.9s, and that's with a very experienced diver behind the wheel. A normal '91 NSX gets around the low 14's, while the newer 290HP versions ran mid-13's.

That being said, NSX's are very impressive cars - however, they're still waaay overpriced, and those aluminum body panels aren't cheap, either. Even rather basic maintenance requires the engine to be dropped out the bottom of the car.

95EagleAWD
03-27-2006, 08:38 PM
Car and Driver, August '98...

Acura NSX-T (targa, not the lighter, faster coupe)

0-60 = 4.5 seconds
1/4 mile = 12.9 seconds @ 110 mph

0-150-0 = 35.9 seconds

In the comparison of 0 to 150 mph to 0 again, the NSX finished in 2nd place. 1st was, of course, the Dodge Viper. Then it was NSX, Vette, (the NSX hit 150 mph two seconds faster than the Vette) BMW 540, Jag XJR, Camaro Z28 SS, and Porsche 911.

These cars must be underrated by Honda. A stock 2000 NSX dyno'ed 268 rwhp. Take about 17% drivetrain loss and that's 313 bhp. On an engine rated at 290 bhp.

The same car was then given a Competch airbox, headers and exhaust for a dyno of 297 rwhp. Add the supercharger package to that and you get a healthy 367 rwhp @ 7800 RPM and still climbing...

Hakkola
03-27-2006, 08:41 PM
Whoever gets their NSX first needs to take me out for a spin, I might need to buy one of these. Either that or an old Porsche. :thumbsup:

BigWill
03-27-2006, 08:44 PM
NSX = SEXY
another option you may have (considering you seem pretty well off, i mean, you can afford an nsx) you could also buy a little tercel or civic or something cheap to lug around in the winter so you can garage your NSX, but either way, buy the NSX, its a damn hott car:burnout:

That.Guy.S30
03-27-2006, 08:48 PM
^ i tell you its quite a ride. its pretty quick and so freaking low and handles oh so well.

rc2002
03-27-2006, 09:11 PM
Just typing in "nsx quarter mile" in google brought up tons of articles, all saying it's in the 13's. And that's for the newer NSX.

Anyway, I'll quit beating a dead horse. Hopefully one makes it out to race city this season. :)

MIWYFSHOTTER
03-27-2006, 09:14 PM
Here are acurate specs:
http://www.supercars.net/cars/16.html

It runs mid 13. What are you smoking :nut:

12s you wish...

95EagleAWD
03-27-2006, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
. Hopefully one makes it out to race city this season. :)

:)

Hopefully one will.

Anton
03-27-2006, 09:23 PM
hi guys and gays..

Stop speaking on your own behalf...:nut:

Anyways, the NSX is pure sex :poosie:

HillBilly
03-27-2006, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by liquidboi69
According to Fifth Gear, the NSX topped reliability charts along with a Lexus when it first came out.

thats the kind of reply I was looking for.

As far as speed is concerned... thats not really what I am looking for. An NSX is not a fast car IMO (neiter are the other cars I mentioned).

my previous daily driver to the office was a 10 second modded 03 hayabusa so no matter what I get, it will be slow.

95EagleAWD
03-27-2006, 09:26 PM
You had to mod a 'Busa to get it into the 10s... My buddies stock '06 GSXR-1000 did 10.5s @ 136. :nut:

Look at www.nsxprime.com

They're the NSX community, and you'll find that the cars are very reliable, some with over 300,000 miles on them.

C4S
03-27-2006, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by kevie88

Seriously, it's an awesome car. I remember back in 91' when I was in High School one of my friends had one, and I got a ride home in it all the time. I've wanted one ever since and I've been pretty seriously considering getting one in the next year or so.

You are from Edmonton?? were you in Edmonton back then?
Any chance .. that is the well-known " St.Luke high school " ??

I was there in 91/92 .. one lucky asian kid was driving NSX .. :drool:

MIWYFSHOTTER
03-27-2006, 09:33 PM
I forgot to say its good for a daily driver and you don't have to care for it as much as a Ferrari. :thumbsup:

Reliability wise I would take it in a snap.

HillBilly
03-27-2006, 09:52 PM
You had to mod a 'Busa to get it into the 10s... My buddies stock '06 GSXR-1000 did 10.5s @ 136.

I never did learn how to launch that big pig very well.:dunno:

kevie88
03-27-2006, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by C4S

You are from Edmonton?? were you in Edmonton back then?
Any chance .. that is the well-known " St.Luke high school " ??

I was there in 91/92 .. one lucky asian kid was driving NSX .. :drool:

No, I was in Calgary.. Ron To was the guy's name. We went to St. Francis together.

Tech2
03-27-2006, 10:51 PM
I wish my daddy bought me an NSX for getting to high school.

As far as the 1/4 mile times go, like was said that's not the purpose of the car. You get super handling and a huge style factor. If that's what you like, go for it. If you want a drag monster, do something else.

max_boost
03-27-2006, 10:56 PM
Mercedes Benz SLK
SLK350 is a great car. :thumbsup:
I seriously considered picking up an 02 NSX but in the end, the SLK made more sense. Mostly because of the climate we live in here. If I lived in a place like Vancouver, NSX it is :D

95EagleAWD
03-27-2006, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
SLK350 is a great car. :thumbsup:
I seriously considered picking up an 02 NSX but in the end, the SLK made more sense. Mostly because of the climate we live in here. If I lived in a place like Vancouver, NSX it is :D

Bah, climate... it's a winter driver! It's aluminium, it won't even rust!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/95EagleAWD/img_2349.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/95EagleAWD/img_2304.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/95EagleAWD/NSXSnow2Medium.jpg

:eek:

4doorj
03-28-2006, 12:03 AM
nsx:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
one day i will have one to put beside my s2000
i will be the happiest guy:clap:

Tech2
03-28-2006, 01:30 AM
Great pics man! Car looks great in the snow.

max_boost
03-28-2006, 01:35 AM
haha ok that picture just doesn't look right. I'm a big fan of driving cars year round, but the NSX shouldn't touch snow, it's too good for it :D

Hakkola
03-28-2006, 01:39 AM

Hahaha, I never thought about that, now I need one! I hate rust.

AutodreamMarvin
03-28-2006, 02:00 AM
NSX is a nice car. Quick, good looking, good handling, it does everything great. It is definitely a head turner.

The two downsides are the clutch, and tire wear. The clutch isn't so much of a problem with the 6 speed, but with the 5 speed, they seem to have a problem of lasting more than 40+k. The last clutch from Acura was in the $1700ish range if memory serves me correct. It's a plated clutch with a flywheel and you cannot buy them seperate. I think the problem with the clutch is due to the extremely tall first gear.

Installing the clutch was a nightmare in itself. It took 4 guys and a few days to do it. Mind you, it was the first time and it was without the aid of the FSM. I'm fairly certain Acura charges in excess of $1k to do the job.

For tire wear, I can't remember exactly what the problem was, but I'm certain there are fixes for it. nsxprime.com may be your best bet.

All in all, I think that the 97+ with the 6 speed and the upgraded 3.2 is the best out of all of them. If you can locate one, this is the one I would go for. They are only marginally more expensive than a 91, and offer so much more. They not only have the better engine/trans, but they also are newer, and generally have less wear.

Btw, I wouldn't recommend driving the NSX in winter. Even with winter tires, they would still be a handful to drive in the snow. Not only that, but there are next to no body shops that will work on aluminum, not to mention the deductable that you will have to pay to get it repaired.

DelSoln
03-28-2006, 02:01 AM

Haha true but I would go nuts if I ever got any chips from driving on Whitemud during the winter. I hope you have a beater as well.

95EagleAWD
03-28-2006, 02:24 AM
It's the rear toe-in angle that roasts the back tires on the early cars. It's very, very aggresive, and you can dial it out to save your tires with a slight compromise in handling.

The clutch on the 5-speeds is a twin-disc design, that's why it's so expensive... that's also why it's quite light and easy to use. If I ever have tranny problems, I'd buy a 6-speed out of a wrecked 97+ and convert.

And yes, I'll be getting a winter driver....

three.eighteen.
03-28-2006, 02:34 AM
It's the rear toe-in angle that roasts the back tires on the early cars. It's very, very aggresive, and you can dial it out to save your tires with a slight compromise in handling.

yeah there were nsx specific tires made, supposedly can be helped with a comptech urethane bushing kit

88CRX
03-28-2006, 07:29 AM
early 90's NSX plus 2nd gen front end conversion :drool:

95EagleAWD
03-28-2006, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
early 90's NSX plus 2nd gen front end conversion :drool:

Nah... Just put a HID setup in the popups. I don't really like the fisheye look that the 02+ NSXs have.

Besides, chicks dig pop-ups... :bigpimp:

max_boost
03-28-2006, 04:49 PM
How much ground clearance is there on the NSX?

CryoCarnage
03-28-2006, 05:11 PM
it doesnt matter, how fast they go he can just fly over every snow bank :thumbsup:

95EagleAWD
03-28-2006, 05:25 PM

Depends if it's stock or not... but either way, not a whole lot. For the winter, a lot of the guys take the front lip off the car...

This one has been dropped real nice and has the OEM front end on it...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/95EagleAWD/11.jpg

iceburns288
03-28-2006, 08:38 PM
the NSX shouldn't touch snow, it's too good for it :D
What you say?:D
http://img498.imageshack.us/img498/4500/f40january20061173qy.jpg
http://img498.imageshack.us/img498/1324/f40january20061221et.jpg

Hakkola
03-29-2006, 02:22 AM
WOW, now THAT is crazy.

95EagleAWD
03-29-2006, 06:16 AM
Kudos to a ballsy F40 owner...

:thumbsup:

95EagleAWD
03-31-2006, 09:15 PM
Just an update... after wrangling with the bank and booking airline tickets, my NSX shall be in Canada around April 15th... we'll see if it's as good as I think it will be!

:bigpimp:

BerserkerCatSplat
03-31-2006, 09:48 PM
Swank, looking forward to pictures! :thumbsup:

95EagleAWD
03-31-2006, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
Swank, looking forward to pictures! :thumbsup:

So am I... trust me!

DelSoln
04-01-2006, 12:01 AM
Just an update... after wrangling with the bank and booking airline tickets, my NSX shall be in Canada around April 15th... we'll see if it's as good as I think it will be!

I'm sure it will be better! Pics at Hawrelak for the Summer! :D

andres_mt
04-02-2006, 09:11 PM
Is it true that NSX's are overated or are they really decent sport cars???

95EagleAWD
04-03-2006, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by andres_mt
Is it true that NSX's are overated or are they really decent sport cars???

Depends what you mean.

I'd say they're underrated. They don't get the kudos they deserve. You can make 'em damn fast and they handle like crazy. When a stock 290-bhp NSX-R can keep a Murcielago, Gallardo, 360 Modena, 911TT, and M3 CSL behind it, I'd like to think I bought the right car.

4doorj
04-03-2006, 08:29 AM

sweet!!!! congrats on the purchase!:thumbsup:

HillBilly
04-03-2006, 08:35 AM

sweet. I'll have to go for a ride in yours before I make a decision to buy or not.