PDA

View Full Version : why are my speakers blown?

zzdoey
03-28-2006, 10:55 AM
I have a pair of 5.25" JBL GTOs that both recently blew. I'm not quite sure why they would go, because they are only powered by the deck, which is a nice Alpine unit, and I've never really cranked the volume up until it distorts.

They're rear speakers and their bottoms rest into the trunk, which has a small sub. Would that have anything to do with it? Or would using them in the cold damage them? If it's really cold out, I usually let them warm up a few minutes before turning them up.

My old Rockfords never had a problem.

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-28-2006, 11:05 AM
Thats weird, in my old car, my 19 year old oem speakers didn't blow till m buddy cranked my deck to max...
Was the bass turned up?

zzdoey
03-28-2006, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
Thats weird, in my old car, my 19 year old oem speakers didn't blow till m buddy cranked my deck to max...
Was the bass turned up? Nope, I had the crossovers set at 125Hz LPF and 1KHz HPF, and zero equalization.

fresh
03-31-2006, 07:49 PM
take them back or send them to jbl. How old ar they? where did you get them? places like best buy or visons will take them back and give you replacements. and if you do go to take them back don't talk to some retard on the floor go strait to the manager!

Accord_tunerx
03-31-2006, 09:23 PM
after market speakers can blow if there is not enough wattage going to them just like it can blow if there is way too much wattage. i've had a pair of phoenix gold 5.25" (top of the line) and they blew because they were underpowered and it was running of a aftermarket deck!

A790
03-31-2006, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Accord_tunerx
after market speakers can blow if there is not enough wattage going to them just like it can blow if there is way too much wattage. i've had a pair of phoenix gold 5.25" (top of the line) and they blew because they were underpowered and it was running of a aftermarket deck!

That's fucked right up. Unless you were blasting the shit of them... normally when they're underpowered you just get more distortion.

soupey
03-31-2006, 10:46 PM

definately never have heard of something blowing because it was underpowered...

Graham_A_M
04-01-2006, 01:07 AM
^ yup I'm putting a whopping two watts RMS into my speakers... just CD deck power, thats all you need really.

Accord_tunerx
04-01-2006, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by A790

That's fucked right up. Unless you were blasting the shit of them... normally when they're underpowered you just get more distortion. sometimes when your underpowered there is not enough power to move the voice coil and that causes them to seize, that is what i was to by the phoenix gold rep:confused:

Accord_tunerx
04-01-2006, 01:28 AM
try going to visions or soundsurround or something and ask them,i never really had a chance 2 do that to see if it was true or not, just was told by PG rep.

Supa Dexta
04-02-2006, 10:46 AM
sometimes when your underpowered there is not enough power to move the voice coil and that causes them to seize, that is what i was to by the phoenix gold rep:confused:

BAHAHAHA!.. thats funny shit right there.. so everytime we turn down speakers we run the risk of blowing them... haha.. You can't underpower speakers, that myth is caused because when people don't supply the needed power to them, and they want more sound out of them, they turn them way up, but they turn them up so high that they are distorted because it's not clean power up that high, and thats what wrecks them....

fresh
04-02-2006, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta

BAHAHAHA!.. thats funny shit right there.. so everytime we turn down speakers we run the risk of blowing them... haha.. You can't underpower speakers, that myth is caused because when people don't supply the needed power to them, and they want more sound out of them, they turn them way up, but they turn them up so high that they are distorted because it's not clean power up that high, and thats what wrecks them....

yea your right. at lower power levels you can still turn them up really loud. the speakers blow because of the wide frequency and the larger tendancy for clippage.

soupey
04-02-2006, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by fresh

yea your right. at lower power levels you can still turn them up really loud. the speakers blow because of the wide frequency and the larger tendancy for clippage.

definately sounds a bit more realistic...