PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for new car

maskofdoom
03-21-2003, 03:30 AM
Hey all,

I'm currently looking for a new car for when I go on internship. I was originally thinking 2003 Accord/2004 Mazda 6, but they seem to be a little out of my price range. The Sentra Spec-V is great bang for the buck, but the interior looks a little too cheap for my taste.

So what about something like the 2003 Mazda Protege? 130hp, true....but can I soup it up with a turbo or something like that? Any other recommendations? I would prefer a newer car (2001+, 4dr since I'm considering insurance too, pwr everything) with prices ranging from $20,000 - $25,000.

I don't like the orange the Mazdaspeed comes in, but otherwise it seems like a great little car. Can I get the basic Protege souped up to the level of the Mazdaspeed? Obviously it won't be factory work, it'll be aftermarket, but still...?

I'm kinda new to the whole car buying experience, so please share your extensive knowledge with me! Thanks!

method
03-21-2003, 06:45 AM
The turbo kit that FMprotege.com offers bumps up performance levels a lot, but it sure costs a lot of money. Not only that, but you'll kill your warranty... not saying the protege is a quick to fall apart car, cause I love mine, but you can't be too careful.

MerfBall
03-21-2003, 09:20 AM
I agree 100% with your opinions on both the mazdaspeed protege and spec-v. Have you looked at the 2003 Jetta 1.8T GLS, it's $26,370 MSRP (a little over your price range), but well worth it. It has better warranty than both mazda and nissan. And it has a lot of luxury standard. And the insurance on it is decent. You should take a look at that

RC-Cola
03-21-2003, 10:15 AM
I have a '03 Spec V and I personnal realy like the fit and finish of the interior, but that's my opinon...

VW's are very nice especially the Jetta's, but everybody and their dog have one now. There kind of like a Civic or Accord, there are just too many of them on the street for my taste.

I always had a soft spot for the Golf (especially the GTI) but you can't fit a set of golf clubs in the trunk without putting down the back sit, so it's not very usefully for a day to day driver (again, for me).

What about the Toyota Matrix XRS? 180Hp, four door, perhaps a little boxy....

sml
03-21-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by RC-Cola
I have a '03 Spec V and I personnal realy like the fit and finish of the interior, but that's my opinon...

VW's are very nice especially the Jetta's, but everybody and their dog have one now. There kind of like a Civic or Accord, there are just too many of them on the street for my taste.

I think there's a reason why everyone and their dog has one... It's either a) They're very affordable for the average joe or b) They're damn good reliable cars!!! Honda and Toyota didn't become the best selling Japanese cars just because... There's a good reason for that. They build cars that people LIKE!!! Wow, imagine that... car companies that build cars that everybody wants... hmm... More people want, more money = more profit... hmm... Btw, there's a similiar reason why people don't buy Nissan and Mazda (in general)...

RC-Cola
03-21-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by sml

I think there's a reason why everyone and their dog has one... It's either a) They're very affordable for the average joe or b) They're damn good reliable cars!!! Honda and Toyota didn't become the best selling Japanese cars just because... There's a good reason for that. They build cars that people LIKE!!! Wow, imagine that... car companies that build cars that everybody wants... hmm... More people want, more money = more profit... hmm... Btw, there's a similiar reason why people don't buy Nissan and Mazda (in general)...

Hey I wasn't slamming Honda's or Toyota's, Maskof doom asked for people's opinons I gave him mine.

Don't get all bent out of shape because I said that I'm not a big fan of cars that are overly common. That is my opinon and I'm allowed to have it, I never said that Honda are shit or that your lame if you have one or anything like that. In fact I have own three Civics in the past, this time when I bought a car I felt the car I bought was a little more unique and a good bang for your buck deal. Yes, I realize I'm not the only guy that has a Spec V in town in fact I have seen 4 or 5, but they are definately not as common as a Civic or a Accord.

max_boost
03-21-2003, 12:46 PM
RSX
Great car for the money
Very nice interior styling and a fresh look on the exterior
Good Power

Now go get one hehe

hampstor
03-21-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by RC-Cola

Hey I wasn't slamming Honda's or Toyota's, Maskof doom asked for people's opinons I gave him mine.

Don't get all bent out of shape because I said that I'm not a big fan of cars that are overly common. That is my opinon and I'm allowed to have it, I never said that Honda are shit or that your lame if you have one or anything like that. In fact I have own three Civics in the past, this time when I bought a car I felt the car I bought was a little more unique and a good bang for your buck deal. Yes, I realize I'm not the only guy that has a Spec V in town in fact I have seen 4 or 5, but they are definately not as common as a Civic or a Accord.

I agree, I also like cars that fewer people have.

Civic/Accord/Jetta's are very good cars. That's why they are very popular (despite their higher price relative to competition in their class). I have owned a Civic and a Jetta (91 / 96 respectively) and now I also drive a 03 Sentra Spec V. The interior is actually pretty nice and I have few complaints about it (except for the really stupid change drawer/fuse box cover).

Maskofdoom, go test drive a protege, civic and a sentra/spec v (Sunridge nissan had one, its a liquid silver - if you go there, ask for Wade Clark. He was direct and honest to me thats why i bought from him).

CanadianR
03-22-2003, 11:19 AM
The Mazdaspeed Protege will be available in black as well by the summer, that's the car i'd be looking at if i were looking in that price range.

maskofdoom
03-23-2003, 02:01 PM
I think the Mazda speed is out at $28,000, plus taxes is gonna be a little out of my price range.

Would adding a turbo to a regular '02 or '03 sedan achieve the same effect as a Speed? Or is there a lot more to it?

max_boost
03-23-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by maskofdoom
I think the Mazda speed is out at $28,000, plus taxes is gonna be a little out of my price range.

Would adding a turbo to a regular '02 or '03 sedan achieve the same effect as a Speed? Or is there a lot more to it?

Would probably achieve the same, if not exceed the Mazda Speed's power......but reliability and warranty! You might as well just get the mazdaspeed?:dunno:

theken
03-23-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
RSX
Great car for the money
Good Power

Now go get one hehe

u push the rsx soooo much.

why not buy an s2000 it's only twice your budget :D

max_boost
03-23-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by theken

u push the rsx soooo much.

why not buy an s2000 it's only twice your budget :D :rofl: Dude, the RSX is so beautiful man. I only push it because I think it is one of the best cars out there on the market. With everything considered, I don't think there is a car that matches it!

jdmakkord
03-23-2003, 03:04 PM
:rofl: Dude, the RSX is so beautiful man. I only push it because I think it is one of the best cars out there on the market. With everything considered, I don't think there is a car that matches it!

till the accord v6 coupe 6speed comes out that is;)

max_boost
03-23-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord

till the accord v6 coupe 6speed comes out that is;)

Power to Weight!
I hear the new Accord is going to be pushing 3300llbs?:D

theken
03-23-2003, 03:12 PM
89 probe gt :thumbsup: next saturday, a little nhl 03' ?? i got fired from the vid store :rofl:

szw
03-23-2003, 03:15 PM
I still like my Spec-V.

25K out the door

I agree, I don't really like the interior. THe dash is fine, I just don't like the material of the seats and door panels, but I plan on changing those soon.

95ludesrv
03-24-2003, 01:56 PM
Ya i was also wondering about the protege, so i went and test drove one. It seemed pretty nice, but didnt have that much power. Does anyone have anymore imput on the protege? I test drove a P5 btw.

hjr
03-24-2003, 02:46 PM
maybe you dont want a used car, but i would love to have an MR2 Turbo. Ohhh ya.

___2PaC___
03-24-2003, 02:51 PM
Tiburon?
I think it starts at 19,000? thats what I heard one the commercial lol

Glowrider
03-24-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by method
The turbo kit that FMprotege.com offers bumps up performance levels a lot, but it sure costs a lot of money. Not only that, but you'll kill your warranty... not saying the protege is a quick to fall apart car, cause I love mine, but you can't be too careful.

Funny you mention that. I saw a new turbo Protege (not Mazdaspeed), and it was the slowest turbo car I've ever seen. This thing wasn't running better than mid 16's...it lost to a Civic Si. The Civic Si wasn't anything special either, just basic I/H/E.

I'd say go for the Accord. It's proven itself to be an extremely reliable car. Ontop of that, the new Accords look sweet.

The Mazda 6 hasn't proven itself yet, but it does look promising.

ninspeed
03-24-2003, 08:46 PM
the 2004 malibu will come with a turbo for about the same price range, in the new body style :D.. just an idea thats diffrent

Glowrider
03-24-2003, 08:50 PM
Turbo American car...no thanks. That's just asking for trouble. LOL.

Weapon_R
03-24-2003, 09:08 PM
You keep saying that you want to add a turbo here, or big mod there to make your car go as fast as the ones that are slightly "out of your price range". Spend the 5k when you buy new, and trust me, you won't regret it when your engine goes because of an aftermarket turbo kit that leans out or something like that. Factory is best.

Glowrider
03-24-2003, 09:12 PM
Mazdaspeed Protege

a_peep
03-24-2003, 09:18 PM
RSX
Great car for the money
Good Power

Now go get one hehe

Ya the base RSX fits in the price range.:thumbsup:

Glowrider
03-24-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by a_peep

Ya the base RSX fits in the price range.:thumbsup:

Screw that. The Mini S walks all over the RSX.

a_peep
03-24-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Glowrider

Screw that. The Mini S walks all over the RSX.

All over the RSX-S? Because that's the price range it's in. And no it doesn't walk all over it, it maybe is a bit faster in the twisties but in the straight line the RSX has quite the advantage. Not to mention the RSX-S has way more room and looks better (IMO).

Glowrider
03-24-2003, 09:31 PM
I said RSX, not RSX-S. Besides, the Mini S has factory boost. Neither of the RSX models can offer that.

a_peep
03-24-2003, 09:34 PM
I said RSX, not RSX-S. Besides, the Mini S has factory boost. Neither of the RSX models can offer that.

Your point being?:dunno:

Glowrider
03-24-2003, 09:51 PM
Factory boost...no need to spend extra money to get boost. More power per upgrade, power easier to get. Not to mention the fact that you get BMW build quality and superior ass-kissing.

a_peep
03-24-2003, 10:03 PM
Factory boost...no need to spend extra money to get boost. More power per upgrade, power easier to get. Not to mention the fact that you get BMW build quality and superior ass-kissing.

Sure if he wants FI for that price I'd rather get a MazdaSpeed or a WRX.

BMW built quality ok... Honda/Acura build quality.:thumbsup:

Superior ass-kissing?

Glowrider
03-24-2003, 10:07 PM
You'd have to own a BMW to understand what I meant by "superior ass-kissing".

Besides, let's not forget Mini heritage. It was the ORIGINAL FWD tuner platform. Decades before anyone even touched a Honda.

a_peep
03-24-2003, 10:13 PM
You'd have to own a BMW to understand what I meant by "superior ass-kissing".

Someone's high on themselves and the fact they own a BMW.:dunno:

My uncle has M roadster, driven that many times. His X5 is a great SUV and his 740ii sedan is beautiful. The M roadster was a nice car but when my uncle drove my car he was amazed on the smooth tranny, interior&exterior styling. He loved the how it pulls all the way through each gear and the fact that it has top-end when downshifting on the highway, all this out of a 4 cyl. 200hp engine.

I drove the mini (because I considered every car in my car's price range), it didn't really impress me much other then it's handling. You felt like you were driving a go-kart literally.

Glowrider
03-24-2003, 10:56 PM
Go-cart...that's the whole idea behind the Mini S!

a_peep
03-24-2003, 10:58 PM
Go-cart...that's the whole idea behind the Mini S!

It's got all the room of one too.:D

szw
03-24-2003, 11:02 PM
mini-s doesn't compete with RSX (talking about price)

Glowrider
03-24-2003, 11:03 PM
Bah...room shroom...get an SUV if you need space.

Here's an example of what I meant by ass-kissing....

This weekend I drove to Miami. I didn't want to put miles on the Rover or the M3. I took my car to my SA at the original center that I bought my M3 at. I told my SA that I didn't wanna put mile on my car, and he gave me a loaner and put my car in the shop, under warranty, under the guise that it was "making a noise". So I got to drive a 5-series down to Miami, and put no miles on my car :)

Plus, they give you all kinds of crap when you buy a car. Like a weekend in the Waldorf. Gift cert. for a massage, champagne...birthday presents.

a_peep
03-24-2003, 11:07 PM
Bah...room shroom...get an SUV if you need space.

Here's an example of what I meant by ass-kissing....

This weekend I drove to Miami. I didn't want to put miles on the Rover or the M3. I took my car to my SA at the original center that I bought my M3 at. I told my SA that I didn't wanna put mile on my car, and he gave me a loaner and put my car in the shop, under warranty, under the guise that it was "making a noise". So I got to drive a 5-series down to Miami, and put no miles on my car :)

Plus, they give you all kinds of crap when you buy a car. Like a weekend in the Waldorf. Gift cert. for a massage, champagne...birthday presents.

Are you done bragging yet? Wow I've yet to see someone this arrogant on the site...:barf:

Glowrider
03-24-2003, 11:10 PM
Yeah, I am extremely arrogant. But I was just trying to illustrate what buying a BMW gets you. One of my points for the Mini S.

Oh yeah...Mini S' here go for $19-20,000 USD. I'm willing to bet the RSX-S is around that price range.

szw
03-24-2003, 11:12 PM
I said RSX, not RSX-S.

Oh yeah...Mini S' here go for $19-20,000 USD. I'm willing to bet the RSX-S is around that price range.

Make up your mind! heh

Glowrider
03-24-2003, 11:19 PM
The RSX-S was brought up, so I just threw that in there.

a_peep
03-24-2003, 11:20 PM
I priced out a mini (www.mini.ca)-s with leather, heated seats, cruise control, sunroof, 6 disc CD changer and climate control (all this stuff the RSX Type-S comes standard). It was $3000 more CDN then the RSX Type-s... pretty expensive go-kart if you ask me. Again though just my opinion, it's still a nice little car.

a_peep
03-24-2003, 11:21 PM
The base mini doesn't even compete with the base RSX IMO.:tongue:

Glowrider
03-24-2003, 11:22 PM
Well yeah, the base Mini is solely for people who are looking for 37 mpg...I doubt any of us fall into that category.

a_peep
03-24-2003, 11:25 PM
Well yeah, the base Mini is solely for people who are looking for 37 mpg...I doubt any of us fall into that category.

Yep so your comment
Screw that. The Mini S walks all over the RSX. was not really relevant considering that the Mini-S is even $3k more then the Type-S ... so that's what almost $10k more then the base rsx.

Hakkola
03-24-2003, 11:26 PM
Yeah, I am extremely arrogant. But I was just trying to illustrate what buying a BMW gets you.

:werd: Same with MB, I had a c-class loaner for a week and my car isn't even under warranty. :D

But, I'm gonna say don't get mini-s, it has the most terrible interior I've seen, it doesn't do it for me, I think it's disgusting. Cute car though.

RSX probably is the way to go, despite the fact that I don't really like them. The Spec V is pretty cool too, I was in one from Beyond and it's kinda quick, and I don't remember any complaints on the interior.

Personally I wouldn't buy a brand new car though, something that's two years old is perfect. Or I could be like Max Boost and push my favorite cars, screw warranty and new cars, get yourself a 1990-1995 Mercedes E Class or BMW 5-series, you could get one of the higher end models for about 25000 and completely destroy a lot of these cars in the city stock, then throw a turbo on it (E500 Turbo :D ) and embarass people. I'd say get a 92-94 E500, one of the greatest cars ever made, or get a 92 M5. Screw new cars, most of them are ugly anyways.

Haha, I thought this was gonna be a quick post.

a_peep
03-24-2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

Personally I wouldn't buy a brand new car though, something that's two years old is perfect.

:werd: :clap:

I'm never going to buy a new car again, you save so much money waiting for someone trying to sell one a year or two old. You just need to find a old person that would've hardly drove it or some scenerio like that.

max_boost
03-25-2003, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by a_peep

:werd: :clap:

I'm never going to buy a new car again, you save so much money waiting for someone trying to sell one a year or two old. You just need to find a old person that would've hardly drove it or some scenerio like that.

Yup! I plan to switch cars every 2 years! haha Or maybe less! If you look hard enough you can find virtually any used car out there!:thumbsup:

Save so much money!!!:clap:

Redlyne_mr2
03-25-2003, 12:28 AM
Isn't there about one of these types of threads every week?

Glowrider
03-25-2003, 12:29 AM
I switch cars every couple years, but my parents aren't down with used cars, so their always new.

max_boost
03-25-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Isn't there about one of these types of threads every week?
Yah
Usually it is either xylathane, lammer, stratus power, calarina only mentions getting a new car so not really her

Just refer to my sig, you'll see the list get longer, I'll remove them when they get a car! :rofl: :rofl:

bksze
03-25-2003, 01:52 PM

you can be sure that you won't get this sort of preferential treatment at Calgary BMW haha . . . maybe they should make those bonus items a standard procedure for all BMW dealerships . . . maybe jump some sales!

i guess they pay for it in the markup, how much did your m3 roll off the lot for?

Glowrider
03-25-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by bksze

you can be sure that you won't get this sort of preferential treatment at Calgary BMW haha . . . maybe they should make those bonus items a standard procedure for all BMW dealerships . . . maybe jump some sales!

i guess they pay for it in the markup, how much did your m3 roll off the lot for?

I optioned out my car to $59,000 USD. The gifts are so you give your CA a good review. It's kind of messed up that they rely on the gift giving to keep their customers happy, but oh well haha. He's called me a few times to check on how the car is doing. It's sort of funny..."Great! If you're ever needing another BMW come see me!"

So far we've bought an X5 3.0i and my M3 from the same CA. Then they give you all kinds of gifts to make sure you give them a good review. When my sister got her X5, they gave her a bunch of gift cert's for free food from Omaha Steaks, and sent her flowers about a week after she took delivery. They gave me a weekend in a hotel, champagne, gift cert for a massage, and sent me a model of my car on my birthday.

I've heard of CA's going pretty extreme with the big ballers. Like golf clubs and vacations to the Bahamas and such.

a_peep
03-25-2003, 02:15 PM

I optioned out my car to $59,000 USD. The gifts are so you give your CA a good review. It's kind of messed up that they rely on the gift giving to keep their customers happy, but oh well haha. He's called me a few times to check on how the car is doing. It's sort of funny..."Great! If you're ever needing another BMW come see me!"

So far we've bought an X5 3.0i and my M3 from the same CA. Then they give you all kinds of gifts to make sure you give them a good review. When my sister got her X5, they gave her a bunch of gift cert's for free food from Omaha Steaks, and sent her flowers about a week after she took delivery. They gave me a weekend in a hotel, champagne, gift cert for a massage, and sent me a model of my car on my birthday.

I've heard of CA's going pretty extreme with the big ballers. Like golf clubs and vacations to the Bahamas and such.

So you got your car given to you?

Glowrider
03-25-2003, 02:16 PM
Yeah, they "gave" it to me after I "gave" them $59,000 USD.

a_peep
03-25-2003, 02:20 PM
Yeah, they "gave" it to me after I "gave" them $59,000 USD.

So you paid for your car then? What do you do for a living? How old are you? Don't have to answer this if you don't mind me asking but I'd like to afford a car around $100k CDN.

Glowrider
03-25-2003, 02:24 PM
No, I didn't pay for it. My parents gave me the money, and then I went and gave it to BMW. I go to school and am working on getting my MBA. I'm 21.

a_peep
03-25-2003, 02:33 PM
No, I didn't pay for it. My parents gave me the money, and then I went and gave it to BMW. I go to school and am working on getting my MBA. I'm 21.

Wow your lucky.

Glowrider
03-25-2003, 02:34 PM
Can't complain.

bksze
03-25-2003, 07:30 PM

wow, 59000 using a rate of 1.55 is ~$91000 . . . as opposed to the 78 700 for the m3 quote I was given, if you're paying 13k more than we are for teh same car, you're entitled to your free gifts hahahaahah . . . either way, i guess when you're spending that much on a car . . . the gifts are really not that big of a deal, just bonuses

szw
03-25-2003, 10:15 PM
Its actually 1.5 now (actually 1.4something but you buy at 1.5)

VWhooligan
03-25-2003, 10:24 PM
see if you can find a 2000 or 2001 Golf 1.8t. They come in 4 door (like you wanted for insurance reasons). The Golf 1.8t was only made during those two years and the lucky few (me being one of them) really love them. Great room, 4 doors, really quick when you put some money into it, and I think they look great. Plus the VW interior is top notch.

and who said that you can't fit a set of golf clubs in the trunk without putting the seats down? i fit my clubs in the trunk all the time, sure you have to take the woods out, but hell, thats like that for alot of cars. :)

maskofdoom
04-06-2003, 12:54 AM
<bump for some quick questions>

Just wondering how much of a hp boost am I looking at after putting in a cold air intake and filter on a mazda protege? 5 - 10?

also, what exactly are headers? i've been reading up like crazy on performance mods, but I don't understand exactly what headers do and how they help?

Any tips on where to get my windows tinted? And get the performance mods installed?

thanks!

RiceCake
04-06-2003, 01:15 AM
&lt;bump for some quick questions&gt;

Just wondering how much of a hp boost am I looking at after putting in a cold air intake and filter on a mazda protege? 5 - 10?

also, what exactly are headers? i've been reading up like crazy on performance mods, but I don't understand exactly what headers do and how they help?

Any tips on where to get my windows tinted? And get the performance mods installed?

thanks!

John John???

maskofdoom
04-06-2003, 01:34 AM
what's up choy? Did your spec-v arrive yet? it's taking a while man....

any help on the questions?

RiceCake
04-06-2003, 01:54 AM
If you plan to mod the car to the mazdaspeed status, get the mazdaspeed. The orange one's been sitting at North Hill for a while, I'm sure you have some slack there and can talk it down a bit.

They will have yellow and grey ones coming within the next month or so if you want to go for a different color. :)

three.eighteen.
04-06-2003, 02:44 AM
&lt;bump for some quick questions&gt;

thanks!

the feeling of power from your intake will be basically negligible...it will sound more growly though...

a header is an exhaust manifold, the runner from each cylinder is tuned to the rest of the header (and the car) to optimise exhaust flow out of the engine...different types of headers will get you different results in powerband

ZorroAMG
04-06-2003, 04:28 AM

wow, 59000 using a rate of 1.55 is ~$91000 . . . as opposed to the 78 700 for the m3 quote I was given, if you're paying 13k more than we are for teh same car, you're entitled to your free gifts hahahaahah . . . either way, i guess when you're spending that much on a car . . . the gifts are really not that big of a deal, just bonuses

Actually when you do exchange rates on cars, it is not as high as a currency swap, it is a lower rate, so he is in fact paying virtually the same as we do for the car...

Hey Glowrider, you are 21 and working on getting your MBA? Reminds me of a girl in her Sophmore year who said she was working on her degree in Medicine...LOL Baby steps! Get your Undergrad first, then talk about your grad school.. ;)

Fuji
04-06-2003, 12:59 PM

M3 is not 78700 unless you know the owner .. it's more like 82500 last tie I checked.