PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Matrix Reviews

Dren
03-29-2006, 09:55 AM
Looking at buying a Matrix. does anyone have one? how would you rate them...on gas mileage...reliability and that

what model would you pick? XR 4x4

thanks

CiviccCaiz
03-29-2006, 10:31 AM
I have one, in my peronal opion they such ass!

Slipper as hell in the winter, my wife manages to crash hers with brandnew winter tires on them.

My is the 2005 and it has a fuel pump problem that Toyota has not been able to figure out yet. Shitty cheap quality parts.

Its totally cramp in side. Ive been in the New corollas and way more space.

One good not is its good on gas but thats bout it.

If you like it go for it but so far Im not happy with it at all.

Good luck

CryoCarnage
03-29-2006, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by CiviccCaiz

As do you literal skills. i had to reread your post 4 or 5 times. Listen if your wife crashes it with brand new winter tires, then she sucks ass in my opinion. Do not believe what everyone tells you about this. Ive driven a XR AWD and it was quite fun in the snow. Granted It was an automatic (i think they only come automatic) but i was readign soemwhere a 3SGTE conversion somewhere. that would be fun.

Godfuader
03-29-2006, 11:23 AM
Definately not the most exciting vehicle, but under $23,000 for a reliable 4WD, which can have a ton of luggage space, and gives 31/41 mpg is great.

MIWYFSHOTTER
03-29-2006, 11:28 AM
Are you kidding me? Its not 23k for a matrix... I got a quote for 27900 and it was the FWD with basic options...

Go buy a Pontiac Vibe, its the same thing for cheaper.

Godfuader
03-29-2006, 11:38 AM
Just going by the Matrix price guide (http://www.toyota.ca/cgi-bin/WebObjects/WWW.woa/6/wo/Home.Vehicles.Go.Matrix-sEjTtFQjpRUM3Y02M7RiAg/15.15?v108060e%2ehtml) on toyota.ca for a base 4WD:dunno:

Base 4WD
Automatic Transmission
$22,860

Dren
03-29-2006, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by MIWYFSHOTTER
Are you kidding me? Its not 23k for a matrix... I got a quote for 27900 and it was the FWD with basic options...

27900 ? that would be the price for the XR 4x4

the matrix starts under 18000 i think.

Dren
03-29-2006, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Godfuader
Definately not the most exciting vehicle, but under $23,000 for a reliable 4WD, which can have a ton of luggage space, and gives 31/41 mpg is great.

really? 31/41. in the 4x4 model. with Auto trans ?

that like makes it the best 4x4 gas mileage ive seen on any car around. the subaru's are great cars..but i don't think they get near that type of mileage on there cars

CKY
03-29-2006, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by CiviccCaiz

Slipper as hell in the winter, my wife manages to crash hers with brandnew winter tires on them.

My is the 2005 and it has a fuel pump problem that Toyota has not been able to figure out yet. Shitty cheap quality parts.

Its totally cramp in side. Ive been in the New corollas and way more space.

One good not is its good on gas but thats bout it.

If you like it go for it but so far Im not happy with it at all.

Good luck

Lemme translate that back to English for you:

I have one, AND my PERSONAL OPINION IS THAT they SUCK ass

THE CAR IS SLIPPERY as hell in winter. My wife managed to crash HERS WHICH HAD BRAND NEW winter tires on.

MINE is the 2005 MODEL and it has a fuel pump problem that Toyota has not been able to figure out yet. Shitty cheap quality parts.

It's totally CRAMPED INSIDE. I've been in the new Corollas and THEY HAVE A LOT more space.

One good THING THOUGH is THAT it's good on gas but thats bout it.

If you like it THEN YOU SHOULD go for it but so far I'm not happy with it at all.

Good luck
--------------------------------------------

:english:

Godfuader
03-29-2006, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Dren

that like makes it the best 4x4 gas mileage ive seen on any car around. the subaru's are great cars..but i don't think they get near that type of mileage on there cars

The web site says (base 4WD/ XR 4WD):
(only auto available on the 4WD)

FUEL ECONOMY L/100 Km (mpg)
9.2/6.9 (31/41)

But you also have to remember that its only a 118hp /115lb.ft car. It will definately feel sluggish when you slam on the gas especially the 4WD but it is an economical one. The best part about the layout is that the rears fold down to make a flat runway with alot of storage capacity. The subaru on the other hand have actually power to match the price tag, so they are two different cars.

Dren
03-29-2006, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Godfuader

The web site says (base 4WD/ XR 4WD):
(only auto available on the 4WD)

FUEL ECONOMY L/100 Km (mpg)
9.2/6.9 (31/41)

But you also have to remember that its only a 118hp /115lb.ft car. It will definately feel sluggish when you slam on the gas especially the 4WD but it is an economical one. The best part about the layout is that the rears fold down to make a flat runway with alot of storage capacity. The subaru on the other hand have actually power to match the price tag, so they are two different cars.

Ya true..good point..the subaru's have a lot more power than the matrix. two different classes. ..the 4wd i think is not full time either

waypastfast
03-29-2006, 12:32 PM
SUBARU?????

CKY
03-29-2006, 12:34 PM

Ya true..good point..the subaru's have a lot more power than the matrix. two different classes. ..the 4wd i think is not full time either

Really? I thought Honda CRVs are the only cars that have realtime AWD? But technically thats a good thing since you save a little gas when you're not in 4WD

Dren
03-29-2006, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by CKY

Really? I thought Honda CRVs are the only cars that have realtime AWD? But technically thats a good thing since you save a little gas when you're not in 4WD

ya i checked it out..its the same like the CRV really good gas mileage

Rockski
03-29-2006, 12:40 PM
i drove the 04 fwd one and had a blast in it, not much of a pump up as in what your looking for, but none the less it gets a :thumbsup: from me

Zero102
03-29-2006, 01:01 PM
41mpg?...
I would like to see somebody who is actually getting mileage that high.

Pihsiak
03-29-2006, 01:29 PM
I was looking into getting the base model for my mom

it would be a little over $21K for the auto base model and $23,700 for the package B (After fright, tire levy and tax)

the difference between a base corolla and base matrix was like $1800 me thinks

I remember test driving the manual one when it first came out...
It was not fun. Due to the low end tourq *SP* i had a hard time trying to rev the thing up to 3000 RPM in able to gear up from second to third gear.

I'd still get it over the vibe or the sport3 because i'm a toyota whore and it's got impressive space

CKY
03-29-2006, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Zero102
41mpg?...
I would like to see somebody who is actually getting mileage that high.

All manufacturer's numbers are higher than what the cars can actually do. Either way, Toyota still leads the class in mpg even though it might not be exactly 41mpg on highway.

heavyD
03-29-2006, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Pihsiak
I'd still get it over the vibe or the sport3 because i'm a toyota whore and it's got impressive space

Depends on your priorities. If you love Toyota or are worried about resale value, get a Matrix. If you are more interested in getting an identical vehicle that looks slightly better IMO, costs slightly less for the same thing, and will have far better rebates and cheaper financing options, the Vibe is the better buy.

BTW: My inlaws have a 2004 Matrix and it's been problem free & they quite like it.

Zero102
03-29-2006, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by CKY

All manufacturer's numbers are higher than what the cars can actually do. Either way, Toyota still leads the class in mpg even though it might not be exactly 41mpg on highway.

Not all...
My Golf is posted as 33mpg/45mpg, I'm getting well over 33mpg city on winter diesel, which knocks ~10% off your mileage.

I am just skeptical of a gas engine getting that kind of mileage, and am curious about what it really gets.

calgarygts
03-29-2006, 03:14 PM
I don't see why it wouldn't get 41mpg on the highway - in my 00 celica GTS I could get that with conservative driving. I've riden in the matrix a couple of times, seems to be a decent car to me, I like the interior, looks ok and has lots of room inside for all your crap.
To the guy who said it sucks ass - I think your wifes driving sucks ass if she managed to crash one with new winter tires. Depending on your budget you may want to look at a subaru impreza 2.5rs - I looked and they're about the same as an XR matrix (if I remember right). The matrix XR would have the 2ZZ-GE from the celica GTS/Lotus Elise which doesn't have much for torque but can be fun to drive if you keep the revs up.
The base would have the 1ZZ-FE which would have a bit more useable torque off the line making it a bit easier to drive, but not near the power up top.
I'd look at the subaru for sure, as well as the pontiac vibe, test drive them all and see what you like better.

Xtrema
03-29-2006, 03:54 PM
If you don't mind Pontiac, they may have better deals/finance rate being a GM brand.

Subaru is also a good contender for the spec but the boxer engine is .7L bigger and it's a fulltime 4WD so it uses gas almost equivalent of a small V6. And service sucks @ both local dealerships.

Dren
03-29-2006, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Depends on your priorities. If you love Toyota or are worried about resale value, get a Matrix. If you are more interested in getting an identical vehicle that looks slightly better IMO, costs slightly less for the same thing, and will have far better rebates and cheaper financing options, the Vibe is the better buy.

BTW: My inlaws have a 2004 Matrix and it's been problem free & they quite like it.

true.. the toyota will have a much better resale value than the vibe. who makes the engine on the vibe?

heavyD
03-29-2006, 04:13 PM

true.. the toyota will have a much better resale value than the vibe. who makes the engine on the vibe?

The same company that makes the engine for the Matrix..........Toyota. The Vibe is a Matrix & the Matrix is a Vibe. The only differences are the exterior styling and option packages. Think Eagle Talon & Mitsubishi Eclipse. Same cars, different badges.

SilverBoost
03-29-2006, 04:32 PM
I almost bought the supercharged one that Toyota had done wth the TRD suspension and short shifter etc etc. They were gogin to let it go for 25k+ taxes. They said teh car was worth well over 30 with all the options.

Was a bit too small thought for what we wanted as a 2nd vehicle. The bright yellow paint job didn't help either. I have ot say though, the extas and the SC were really the only draw. Otherwise it does nothing for me.

Dren
03-29-2006, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
If you don't mind Pontiac, they may have better deals/finance rate being a GM brand.

Subaru is also a good contender for the spec but the boxer engine is .7L bigger and it's a fulltime 4WD so it uses gas almost equivalent of a small V6. And service sucks @ both local dealerships.

yaa good . i see a lot more toyota matrix's on the road than the vibes... subaru is a good car...very expensive to maintain tho.

That.Guy.S30
03-30-2006, 05:19 PM
^ not expensive to maintain unless you get a wrx/Sti. cept for the major maintainces tho.

i looked at the toyota too but felt i got more from the subaru. plus it was cheaper.

dino_martini
03-30-2006, 07:14 PM

But are you looking at the Turbo version of the Subarus?

Dren
04-02-2006, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini

But are you looking at the Turbo version of the Subarus?

no not looking at the turbo versions. just the regulars

the matrix i guess is just a good around the city type of car. not a good power car for the highways and that. 118 in the 4x4...with 4 or 5 ppl and cargo..thats under powered

Dren
04-06-2006, 11:54 PM
The Vibe comes with the Roof Rack...but the matrix doesn't....which would have a better resale....

Godfuader
04-07-2006, 12:04 AM
^^ Matrix

Vagabond142
04-07-2006, 12:29 AM
You could also consider the Yaris. I reviewed it here: http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=125860

The Matrix is in my opinion a so-so vehicle, as I tested on before. Nervous in slippery conditions, downright scary if you get it sideways on ice as it's so high centered that it feels like it'll tip. Good cargo space, clutch is a little too soft for me, shifter nicely placed, and I do so love the gauge cluster. But I wouldn't personally own one. If I had to buy an econo-box grocery getter, it'd be the Yaris RS hatch.

If you want to go upmarket a bit, a lower end Impreza (2.5 RS) is a great buy for the same price or slightly less, depending on options and haggle, than a Matrix 4x4, and can handle a winter without even noticing it. As for mileage, yes, they are slightly lower, around 30/38 if I remember correctly, but the tradeoff is that you get a car with simply *THE BEST* awd system on any car out there. Subaru's are scarily good in winter. Other cars will sit there spinning their tires while a subie will just find grip and go, even on black sheet ice (I know this as I've done it in a forester.. UPHILL o_O!).

Schwa
04-07-2006, 01:41 AM
Seems like Im' responding to all your threads...

My parents were looking at a new matrix. Not enough power, and you can't combine the good powerplant with the AWD option. For the same price, you can get a used TL, which is, imo, a far better value.

This is, in fact, what I persuaded my parents to do.

Fosgate R
04-07-2006, 09:04 AM

:rofl:

I work for toyota, and the only Matrix that you can get for that price is a friggin full load XRS..haha. Matrix's start at about 17,800, and go up to 28,000. You can get a really nice XR 'B' package (comes with nicer interior, 17" wheels, color matched side mirrors, and more) for about 23,000. They are nice cars in my opinion, if i were to buy a new toyota in that catagory, i would by one for sure. They are roomy (this is coming from a 6'3" 260 Lb guy) tons of cargo space, good fuel ecomony, and an average of 500 less problems per year than the pontiac vibes.

GO drive one....then see what you think?

In my opinion, for the price, the TRD special edition sells for under 20,000, and even though it dosn't come with keyless entry or power windows, it does have a 200W panasonic audio system, nice five spoke polished 17" wheels, spoiler, exhuast tip, shift knob, and polished trd door trim. Good buy for the money.:thumbsup:

MIWYFSHOTTER
04-07-2006, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Fosgate R

:rofl:

I work for toyota, and the only Matrix that you can get for that price is a friggin full load XRS..haha.

Well then Michael Cheng or whatever that guy at Country Hills Toyota was going to jip me. I have his quote infront of my face.

Fosgate R
04-07-2006, 09:48 AM

Well then Michael Cheng or whatever that guy at Country Hills Toyota was going to jip me. I have his quote infront of my face.

Well thats not good....that would be rediculous, and almost illegal to sell a base for that much....maybe he was talking about a base XRS?

Dren
04-10-2006, 01:37 PM

Well thats not good....that would be rediculous, and almost illegal to sell a base for that much....maybe he was talking about a base XRS?

ya it would have to be the base XRS..

Dren
04-10-2006, 01:37 PM

ya it would have to be the base XRS..

Dren
05-29-2006, 11:43 PM
thx all, ended up gettin the car

been great on gas. and is good on the highway..not much power for passing, but good in the city.

:thumbsup:

Dren
07-16-2006, 10:07 PM
Anyone else Notice(has one) that it gets small dents from hail VERY Easly. looked at a few cars....90 corolla....an 99 civic and the matrix..and its the one that had the most dents off the rain storms..

:confused:

rusich
07-17-2006, 02:28 AM
The body must be made out of soft/thin/cheap steel.

alloroc
07-17-2006, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs
^ not expensive to maintain unless you get a wrx/Sti. cept for the major maintainces tho.

i looked at the toyota too but felt i got more from the subaru. plus it was cheaper.

Same

bought a new family vehicle last year and used the matrix as a base for comparison (note I have been a toyoholic most of my life and really tried to justify the matrix but in the end just couldn't) We test drove the following (and some of them twice) + some more I honestly cant remember them all:

matrix
corolla
prius
sienna
ridgeliner
crv
accord
forester
legacy
XL-7

Best compromise considering sell price, base options, luggage space , economy, predicted reliability, and safety was the base model Legacy note this is a family car - performance isn't an issue.
Our car is a 5 speed performance is good enoughto merge onto deefoot and so far we are averaging about 9L/100k in the City.

I'm real happy with our purchase the interior fit and finish is fantastic! The way things are now, the next car we buy will also be a subbie.

btw .. over the last 8 months Subaru of Calgary has treated us exceptionally well.

Dren
02-15-2007, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by rusich
The body must be made out of soft/thin/cheap steel.

True !