PDA

View Full Version : romantic places for first date?? new to calgary please help?

Gravy_83
03-29-2006, 12:37 PM
going to be bringing someone to dinner very soon and I'm new to calgary. Whats a romantic place in calgary for dinner?? I don't know many restaurants here other than BP's and Tony Roma's and I mean come on there is better places than that I'm sure

t-im
03-29-2006, 12:47 PM
How much do you wanna spend?

Orbie
03-29-2006, 01:03 PM
There are loads of places in Calgary that fit your criteria, just depends on how much coin you want to dish out and what kind of atmosphere you like. Whenever I'm looking, a quick search on google gives me plenty of choices, I would advise you to do the same. I find many of the restaurants are centered or located around the downtown area so I would say start your search there.

Hamann
03-29-2006, 01:15 PM
Chianti's, really nice italian restaurant, i think theres a couple of locations in Calgary, only one i know about is up by sunridge. Really good food, awesome atmosphere, and really good service, not even that expensive.

ProjectR
03-29-2006, 01:32 PM
"no name/red room" lounge on 17th Ave. SW has a pretty good atmosphere for a first date kinda thing...don't really remember if it was that quiet in there though...someone back me up on this, other than that i'm with Hamann, Chianti's is pretty good.

Gravy_83
03-29-2006, 01:35 PM
well as long as it stays under 200$ I'm good hahah. I do pretty well for myself so I'm not bringing a date to a cheap restaurant. plus I like a place that will have a good selection of wines and a good selection of scotch

Orbie
03-29-2006, 01:45 PM
While Chianti's is one of my favorite restaurants (the one in the N.E., not the one in Crowfoot), I would probably not bring a date there if you wanted to avoid cheaper restaurants. I would group Chianti's in with places like Earl's, all meals < $20 but I do remember Chianti's having a good wine selection but it is Italian. Going one step above I really liked The Verve, I've only been to the one by Kensington though but that would be a decent place to bring a date. You also can't go wrong with the restaurants along Stephen Ave as well. The Calgary Tower's restaurant is also quite pricey but I've heard the service and food isn't up to par with the price...good view though!

Gravy_83
03-29-2006, 01:54 PM
any good french restaurants in calgary. I like italian but it seems like it's all I eat lately. and well being french myself I would love to be served in french or at least eat french food. and i also heard food at the tower not the best and I don't feel like going right downtown not that comfortable driving down there yet. close to downtown is fun but if it gets to be where all the big ass buildings are I don't like it only been down there when I absolutly need to with my car

Prolifique
03-29-2006, 02:00 PM
I took my girl to a jazz lounge like dining place, very classic and sheik, It was somewhere in downtown and the chocolate fondu was to die for.

There is one more very well known not classical as much more spanish and just a very good atmosphere. They usually have a live band and dancing, I'd say it's a 3 star or so but the music just gets you and your girl in that mood, so yea oh the place is called Don Keyotes I don't remember the correct spelling but what i'd do is take the girl out dining in a classical place then take her to don keyotes for some drinks and salsa. well Enjoy your date.

dance4life
03-29-2006, 02:00 PM
La Chaumiere

http://letsgofordinner.com/Calgary.cfm?detail=132

Gravy_83
03-29-2006, 02:10 PM
well this don keyotes place sounds interesting I hate dancing but I like good music. jazz place sounds good too. I love jazz. Anyways thanks for the info guys keep em suggestions coming I'll take any suggestions for sure

dance4life
03-29-2006, 02:36 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Prolifique
[B]I took my girl to a jazz lounge like dining place, very classic and sheik, It was somewhere in downtown and the chocolate fondu was to die for. [QUOTE]

was that the Beatniq Jazz Club?

mucat
03-29-2006, 02:53 PM
La Chaumiere got my vote too, it is a pretty quiet place. It will fit in your <$200 nicely.

foie gras...:drool:

...If you need a man-date to go to La Chaumiere, I am in :D

Gravy_83
03-29-2006, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by mucat
La Chaumiere got my vote too, it is a pretty quiet place. It will fit in your &lt;$200 nicely.

foie gras...:drool:

...If you need a man-date to go to La Chaumiere, I am in :D

i don't do the whole man date thing hahah I do the whole I haven't been single for 5 years and I'm taking a cute chick out to dinner now that I'm finally single again thing hahah

but la chaumiere looks nice but it looks too open and bright but I've heard about it even before I came to calgary cuz I'm big on french restaurants...do they serve duck there at all??? duck is :bigpimp: for dinner

mucat
03-29-2006, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Gravy_83

i don't do the whole man date thing hahah I do the whole I haven't been single for 5 years and I'm taking a cute chick out to dinner now that I'm finally single again thing hahah

but la chaumiere looks nice but it looks too open and bright but I've heard about it even before I came to calgary cuz I'm big on french restaurants...do they serve duck there at all??? duck is :bigpimp: for dinner

Yes, if I remember correct, some kind of roast duck breast and berry sauce. Their lobster bisque is good too.

Mar
03-29-2006, 03:43 PM
I take my girl to the Banff Springs Hotel for dinner.

t-im
03-29-2006, 03:53 PM
La Chaumiere is a good bet, but some might not enjoy the atmosphere.

Si_FlyGuy
03-29-2006, 06:28 PM
No need to impress her with your money. See if she's the real deal before shelling out the bling. Why don't you have a nice night doing something more active than sitting across from the table trying to make conversation.

But if you choose to do that, River Cafe's a romantic place. They serve duck too.:thumbsup:

Gravy_83
03-29-2006, 09:32 PM
it's no big deal it's nothing too special but just want a nice atmosphere

Si_FlyGuy
03-29-2006, 10:20 PM
btw, River Cafe has their menu on their website. The service is excellent there. Murrietta's isn't bad at all either. There is a giant skylight in the main dining room.:thumbsup: The ribeye steak is one of the best that I've had.

statick
03-30-2006, 06:50 AM
My top 3 choices for you would be, "The King And I Thai Cuisine", "Vintage Chophouse" (also has lounge area, usually with a live jazz band on weekends), and "PiqNiq" (upper dining level of the Beatniq jazz lounge). Good luck with your decision, and be sure to let us know how it goes.

eur0
03-30-2006, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by ProjectR
&quot;no name/red room&quot; lounge on 17th Ave. SW has a pretty good atmosphere for a first date kinda thing...don't really remember if it was that quiet in there though...someone back me up on this, other than that i'm with Hamann, Chianti's is pretty good.

I dont think they have a kitchen, but it's a great place to go for a few drinks after dinner.

Alex_FORD
03-30-2006, 01:33 PM
Joe's Dinner across the street from the sewage treatment plant
:rofl:

Si_FlyGuy
03-30-2006, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Alex_FORD
Joe's Dinner across the street from the sewage treatment plant
:rofl:

right before a night of bliss at the Cecil?

D. Dub
03-30-2006, 05:53 PM
The Calgary Tower restaurant is romantic-

cheesy-but romantic.

D. Dub
03-30-2006, 05:54 PM
Muse Restaurant in Kensington is also very classy and romantic.

Ben
03-30-2006, 06:58 PM
Vintage Chophouse (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98780&highlight=Vintage) is nice, there's a few 2 person tables that are quite private.

Caesars (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70439) is also a nice joint.

Broken Plate (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63360) if you're looking for mediterranean, although it's definatly not one of the BEST places...still decent though

Osteria de Medici (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96525) is not half bad, some people love it, others disagree as seen HERE (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=119452)

Hope that helps.

Gravy_83
03-31-2006, 05:41 PM
sweet thanks for all the info guys looks like I have lot's more choices than I thought I would hahah. god i love being single again hahah

HybridTheory
03-31-2006, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy
btw, River Cafe has their menu on their website. The service is excellent there. Murrietta's isn't bad at all either. There is a giant skylight in the main dining room.:thumbsup: The ribeye steak is one of the best that I've had.

I agree River Cafe is amazing. Best restaurant that I've been to in the city. And its fairly quiet and cozy so you can talk to your lady. Good luck on your date.

natejj
03-31-2006, 11:20 PM
Thursday to sunday, hit up the Beatnic. Its on stephen avenue and 8th street i believe, its a jazz club. Only 10 bucks to get in, starts at 9. Get in early, its 2 hours of amazing live jazz. GO at at least 8 if you want seats!

Neil4Speed
04-03-2006, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by statick
My top 3 choices for you would be, &quot;The King And I Thai Cuisine&quot;, &quot;Vintage Chophouse&quot; (also has lounge area, usually with a live jazz band on weekends), and &quot;PiqNiq&quot; (upper dining level of the Beatniq jazz lounge). Good luck with your decision, and be sure to let us know how it goes.

While I can't speak for King and I Thai, Both Vintage and Piqniq would be great places.

For vintage make note to make reservations EARLY. I tired to make reservations in the afternoon for the evening and they were all booked up. I ended up going to Fuel, which was pretty good, but it would have been nicer if it was more quiet.

Gravy_83
04-10-2006, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by HybridTheory

I agree River Cafe is amazing. Best restaurant that I've been to in the city. And its fairly quiet and cozy so you can talk to your lady. Good luck on your date.

well went on a couple dates with the girl hehe no restaurants yet. river cafe seems a little pricey since I would rather spend money on a good bottle of wine and a decent meal not pay like 150$ for food then another 100$ for wine know what I mean. I am going out with her this friday for dinner so throw up best places for wine selection.

403Gemini
04-10-2006, 11:19 AM
who are you kidding ! u're not new to calgary !! ;)

and good luck with the date mang :)

teggypimp95
04-10-2006, 11:29 AM
la kai on the bow (spelling)

Evro
04-10-2006, 11:41 AM
ya la caille on the bow is nice, not for a date though, great food but not a date atmosphere at all -
Take her to mynt get hammed and stop to pick up sum JBC's on the way to her place at the nearest wendies ... just a suggestion

bmwM5_x
04-10-2006, 04:42 PM
chicago steak house
zen 8

Gravy_83
04-10-2006, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
who are you kidding ! u're not new to calgary !! ;)

and good luck with the date mang :)

yeah well wayne I don't remember my last year I spent in calgary and I never wanted to bring my ex anywhere's so we never went nowhere's hahaha. but yeah goin to take the new chickie to a nice place. I will look for all those places see if they got websites I want a decent atmosphere but I do require a good wine collection for a good place to eat. wine is a pre-requisite for where I will choose to go.

sxtasy
04-10-2006, 06:45 PM
check out http://www.hyssteakhouse.com great atmosphere, food for all tastes, killer wine selection (I believe they even have 5grand and up bottles of wine!)

MIWYFSHOTTER
04-10-2006, 11:34 PM
Yo man hit up the Macleod KFC !!! :thumbsup:

In and out in under 30 beans!

Gravy_83
04-12-2006, 09:57 AM
hahaha no man kfc is not on my to eat list haha see the video of what they do to chickens it's disturbing hahaha. well we are going to moxies on saturday :thumbsdow but it's her favorite place but next time we are going to somewhere's where I can sit down and enjoy a nice meal with a nice bottle of bubbly

sputnik
04-12-2006, 10:25 AM
Go to Kinjo for sushi.

Peter Kinjo will make the event EXTRA special... guaranteed!

:D :D :D

BebeAphrodite
04-12-2006, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Hamann
Chianti's

I think this place has disgusting food, when the pasta is $6 on some nights, there's a reason.

Originally posted by ProjectR
&quot;no name/red room&quot; lounge ...don't really remember if it was that quiet in there though

It's super loud in there and I didn't know they have a restaurant.

Originally posted by HybridTheory

Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy

I just went to River Cafe for the first time a couple of weeks ago, the service was appalling, a lot of fish dishes (I HATE fish) w/ 2 meat dishes on the entree list (neither of which I liked but I chose the 'best' out of the 'worst'). The service was so bad that I was sent a gift certificate to go back there after speaking with a manager (although it's not enough to entice me back). And as for atmosphere, it looks like a hunting lodge.

I heard Muriettas 'once upon a time' had great food, went there a few months ago and it was soooo bad that I'm not heading back there unless I hear they get a new chef.

Originally posted by Prolifique
the place is called Don Keyotes I don't remember the correct spelling
Don Quijotes :)

Originally posted by statick
Vintage Chophouse

Originally posted by Ben
Vintage

Right now of all the suggestions, I'm thinking that Vintage is your best bet. The first three times or so that I went it was pretty bad and when someone suggested it for a fourth time I was hesitant to go but the food was AMAZING. And the last few times (since the food turned good), it has been consistently fantastic!! I guess the chef from Muriettas left and went to Vintage (hence, my bad experience at Muriettas but amazing experience from Vintage). And I LOVE the atmosphere at Vintage.

Originally posted by D. Dub
Muse Restaurant in Kensington is also very classy and romantic.

I've had some of my best meals at this place (sooo good) but I've also had really bad food. So this place is a hit and miss. It's about half half but great atmosphere.

Originally posted by teggypimp95
la kai on the bow (spelling)
I had my worst restaurant experience ever at La Caille (I have a thread started somewhere).

Anyways, as for French food, I can only think of Rouge (although I haven't tried it before).
Vintage and Sugo (Italian although you said you didn't want Italian) would be great date places. They both have pretty good wine selections.
Hope that helps.

babiedoll
04-12-2006, 01:54 PM
My personal favorite is Bon Terra...it's Italian, but I've some really good wine there...and the atmosphere is beautiful:thumbsup:

sputnik
04-12-2006, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by babiedoll
My personal favorite is Bon Terra...it's Italian, but I've some really good wine there...and the atmosphere is beautiful:thumbsup:

Bonterra has KICKASS Mac and Cheese.

asp integra
04-26-2006, 12:33 PM
caesars steack house is amazing, both the south and downtown locations are really nice (i recomend the steak nuptune!) and la caile on the bow (sp) is really nice as well, u should just start ur search downtown or pic up a magazing called "where" magaizine, alot of stores downtown have it and there are alot of good restauraunts listed in it!:thumbsup:

Tik-Tok
05-07-2006, 04:41 PM
River Cafe, or Smugglers Inn...

Another GREAT place Open Sesame (right beside Smugglers on Mcleod) awesome mongolian grill, and the place is nice, especially if you book a week ahead and get the table that's in the corner, and about 6' higher than the rest. Super nice.

If you've never had mongolian though, don't bring her there, a lot of first timers get confused by the whole "pick your own veggies and sauce combo's thing"

dub_686
05-07-2006, 04:46 PM
Mcdonald's!! who dosnt enjoy a good old NUMBER 5! :thumbsup:

Prolifique
05-07-2006, 04:51 PM
Earls Tin Palace is the medium between comfortable and classy, good place for a first time dine on a date or river side cafe.

clem24
05-23-2006, 04:34 PM
Canmore... Zona's. They have the best Caesar salad ever (and I usually hate Caesars), and some kick ass entrees at reasonable prices. Make sure you reserve ahead of time though. Limited space, and usually packed. Very small restaurant too.

Sprinter
07-13-2006, 12:13 PM
I dunno if anyone else has tried this but I went to Phoenix Grill up in the SE (by th e Colluseum). Food was pretty good and the service wasn't bad as well

msommers
07-14-2006, 12:27 AM
Although it is not French, Japanese Village is usually entertaining for some...gets a little tiresome when you go there often enough but still. Its awesome when someone has a birthday but make sure it isn't you hahaha

h0tm1x
07-16-2006, 01:08 AM
Don Quixote is a very good restaurant. Kinda pricey but the food is excellent. Another good restaurant is Why Not Italian in Strathcona.

LS Cammer
07-16-2006, 07:36 PM
Brava Bistro or the Living Room.

Both on 17th and both would work well for what you are looking for I think.

GTS Jeff
07-16-2006, 08:11 PM
"Romantic" probably shouldn't be in the same sentence as "first date." She's not your girlfriend yet. She's basically some random, and if you go overboard, you're gonna look desperate.

shedboy
07-16-2006, 08:27 PM
earls or moxies for first date dude. even skip dinner. do casual drinks or casual plowing, save dinner til it becomes official.

Gravy_83
07-16-2006, 08:30 PM
ok well now I'm going out with her been 3 months hahaha so yeah can't believe this thread is still alive...so yeah now nice somewhat classy places I could bring the girlfriend??

Dren
07-16-2006, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by shedboy
earls or moxies for first date dude. even skip dinner. do casual drinks or casual plowing, save dinner til it becomes official.

True...Best is drinks..when first meeting.

Gravy_83
07-17-2006, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by Dren

True...Best is drinks..when first meeting.

true dat... it didn't even take that for us hahah but either way drinks at first is the best imo....but for those of us who finally hook one after the first date what are some nice places possibly around banff?? was planning on bringing the gf for a surprise trip to banff since she been here her entire life but no one took the time to ever bring her there during her childhood...i been here a year and a half been there 3 times so i feel bad for her.

rm777
07-17-2006, 05:36 PM
The Muse is excellent. Go for the duck.

white_insomnia
07-17-2006, 05:45 PM
i found a deep fried feather attached to my drumstick at kfc once! :barf: :confused:

nederlande
07-17-2006, 05:55 PM
La Chaumiere is my favorite

Dren
07-17-2006, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Gravy_83

true dat... it didn't even take that for us hahah but either way drinks at first is the best imo....but for those of us who finally hook one after the first date what are some nice places possibly around banff?? was planning on bringing the gf for a surprise trip to banff since she been here her entire life but no one took the time to ever bring her there during her childhood...i been here a year and a half been there 3 times so i feel bad for her.

Take her to see some Waterfalls. Johnston Canyon. even take her to like Tak Falls (By Field in BC) SOOO Very nice out there.

Nismo S13
07-17-2006, 06:03 PM
i prefer mc' dicks drive through, lol, nothing classier than dinner in a papper bag:poosie:

arian_ma
07-17-2006, 06:24 PM
Mercury Lounge, you can eat, then stay for the bar after. 25+ though, but it's definately awsome.

Mo Squared
07-17-2006, 09:12 PM
Calgary tower rotating restaurant....DO IT!!! ask her to marry u, she cant say no

Manhattan
07-17-2006, 11:52 PM
Do what MC Eiht does. Go to the liquor store and pick up two 40's (one for you, one for her) and just sip on 'em while ridin' around.

But seriously, people in here have complained about bad service. I think bad service is to be expected at restaurants when you're in your 20s but look like you could be a teen. Servers don't like serving someone who they think isn't going to tip well, or at all. And they're probably right because I don't have the kind of dough to tip them really well. Just one of those accepted prejudices I guess.

IntegraG2
07-18-2006, 12:05 AM
if you are not really that hungry take your GF to the Living Room on 17th ave. The atmosphere is ok but its kinda dark. The lay out is really nice though. The servings are kinda small there but the fondue dish with all the fruits is worth it in the end. Alot of girls love chocolate fondue especially if the chocolate is from Bernard.

A place for big servings and cheap prices is Open Sesame by Chinook. The mongolian market place dish is the way to go.

Les

01RedDX
07-18-2006, 01:37 AM

spyce
07-18-2006, 09:25 AM

Take her to see some Waterfalls. Johnston Canyon.

I took my gf there on our anniversary before. We only went to the lower falls but it was still really cool. I wanna go to the upperfalls portion some time!

Gravy_83
07-18-2006, 11:43 AM
man thanks for all the advice guys jesus I think I wont run out of ideas now for a long time haha. I am taking her to banff the next time we have a day off that coincides so Im going to look up banff and see what there is to do there

Redlyne_mr2
07-18-2006, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by nederlande
La Chaumiere is my favorite
That place if for poser try hards who know nothing about what french food is.
For french check out jojos in marda loop, better service as well, the verve along memorial and kensington is pretty wicked and the belvedere is pretty good as well. To be honest though Calgary doesnt have the best selection for restaurants. Steak house city pretty much

rockym20
07-19-2006, 09:41 AM
Although I haven't been there recently, Brava Bistro has been awesome everytime I have been there.

Has anyone been to the O.N. Bar and Grill? I was there when it was the Owl's Nest and both the meal and service were exceptional.

Bookers BBQ Grill & Crab Shack can be fun. Its the best place in the city I've found (without spending a fortune) for shellfish. It's no more expensive than Red Lobster but 100X better and no screaming kids/families. Not really fine dining and while both my wife and I really like the atmosphere, it won't appeal to everyone.

Calgary Tower is way overpriced for what you get. The quality of food is no where what you would expect for the price. Can't beat the view though.

Belgo is pretty cool. It can come across as kinda yuppie and pretentious, but the mussels are excellent and they have a great selection of import beers, each with its own special glass.

Although I haven't been there, I have heard from several people that the Belmont Diner in Marda Loop is excellent.

I generally avoid the steak houses as I can prepare a far better steak on my own for much cheaper. When I go out, I expect to get something better or different than what my wife and I can make on our own (and we are both pretty good cooks).

Gravy_83
07-23-2006, 06:57 PM
as far as mussels and sea food goes I wont be a fan of it out here i come from new brunswick...we have arguably the best lobster in the world and we have fresh mussels....none of the lobster here is ever good unless it comes from the maritimes and then its still not as fresh as getting it on the dock. I am currently going to contemplate many places names on here especially the french restaurants that we're suggested other than la chaumiere, by redlyne mr2

Dren
07-23-2006, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by white_insomnia
i found a deep fried feather attached to my drumstick at kfc once! :barf: :confused:

NASTY! :thumbsdow

Dren
07-23-2006, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by spyce

I took my gf there on our anniversary before. We only went to the lower falls but it was still really cool. I wanna go to the upperfalls portion some time!

Yaa...the inkpots are the BEST..if u ever get time you have to see that..its about twice the distance as the upperfalls..but its a nice day thing

always with outdoor stuff..make sure the girl will do that sorta stuff....she comes back with bites, she will be itching and mad for the next few weeks...lol

dino_martini
07-23-2006, 11:12 PM

Yaa...the inkpots are the BEST..if u ever get time you have to see that..its about twice the distance as the upperfalls..but its a nice day thing

Word on that, Ive been up to the ink pots...nice place. Romantic place for first date...

Hooters.

bball2
07-24-2006, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by dance4life
La Chaumiere

http://letsgofordinner.com/Calgary.cfm?detail=132

+1 for La Chaumiere, food was sooooooo amazing... :drool: