PDA

View Full Version : Radar - Photo

Dren
03-29-2006, 01:29 PM
Heys all...anyone know anything on effective ways to beat the system...if there is some spray..i heard about...or like a piece of plastic that you put over your licence plate or something

thanks

afrotl
03-29-2006, 01:31 PM
best way is to drive the speed limit...it is fool proof. I will gaurantee that

sputnik
03-29-2006, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by afrotl
best way is to drive the speed limit...it is fool proof. I will gaurantee that

Its even easier than that. Slow down when you pass any minivans parked on Deerfoot.

Dren
03-29-2006, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Its even easier than that. Slow down when you pass any minivans parked on Deerfoot.

but how does that help with those red light camera's and in the city that u go 80...and its soo easy to go tru the end of a yellow light...

sputnik
03-29-2006, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Dren
but how does that help with those red light camera's and in the city that u go 80...and its soo easy to go tru the end of a yellow light...

The Calgary red light cameras only take pictures of cars that ENTER the intersection on a red light. They are also well marked with signs before the intersection.

ntv1980
03-29-2006, 02:11 PM
I usually watch the Walk signal and anticipate the Yellow light while approaching the intersection - with normal speed, and make sure that I allow myself enough space in front of me to speed up if it turns yellow. So, if I'm approaching and it turns Yellow, either I brake hard if I'm far or speed up if I'm too close.

From what I read before, they'll take 2 pictures: entering intersection, and exiting intersection. There'll be a human reviewing the picture and issue ticket if you're entering in RED.

Dren
03-29-2006, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by ntv1980
I usually watch the Walk signal and anticipate the Yellow light while approaching the intersection - with normal speed, and make sure that I allow myself enough space in front of me to speed up if it turns yellow. So, if I'm approaching and it turns Yellow, either I brake hard if I'm far or speed up if I'm too close.

From what I read before, they'll take 2 pictures: entering intersection, and exiting intersection. There'll be a human reviewing the picture and issue ticket if you're entering in RED.

true. but what does the city do with all that money they collect.
? is it really making the roads safer with there crazy ticket prices ???????????????

SilverBoost
03-29-2006, 04:03 PM

true. but what does the city do with all that money they collect.
? is it really making the roads safer with there crazy ticket prices ???????????????

can open.... worms everywhere.

3G
03-29-2006, 05:55 PM
wtf yesterday im coming down barlow, I stop at the line cuz i had a red light and the camera flashed twice behind me

88CRXGUY
03-29-2006, 06:25 PM
There is sprays and covers you can get for your plates, they are illegal. Covers are easier to spot then the sprays are, I am not sure how much the tickets are if you get busted. Just don't speed its simple as that, but if you need the sprays or the covers, they are available..

Goblin
03-29-2006, 09:09 PM
^ An easy solution? Dip it in clear coat. Same effect, and 10x cheaper.

stevescivic
03-29-2006, 09:17 PM
I had the same thing happen to me on barlow and mcknight when I stopped on the line the red light camera flashed twice.

Don't worry about getting a ticket as the two photos will clearly show you stopping and not going through the intersection.

barbarian
03-29-2006, 09:24 PM

Speeding at 80 on a 50 street through a red light is just stupid.

Dren
03-29-2006, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by barbarian

Speeding at 80 on a 50 street through a red light is just stupid.

no i mean. on like crowchild..or like country hills...roads that are 80.

Dren
03-29-2006, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Goblin
^ An easy solution? Dip it in clear coat. Same effect, and 10x cheaper.

really clear coat? it works...on your licence plate??

sputnik
03-30-2006, 08:17 AM
really clear coat? it works...on your licence plate??

No it doesnt. Dont listen to that BS. Even with the after market products the police can still make out the plate numbers. Not to mention that if the cops see a funny reflection on your plate you WILL get pulled over for tampering with your license plate.

ntv1980
03-30-2006, 04:27 PM

no i mean. on like crowchild..or like country hills...roads that are 80.

Then you'll have to drive like a trucker :-)

If it's in the summer, watch the WALK signal (WALK - you can drive fast, BLINKING HAND - driver reasonably, SOLID HAND - drive at or slower than posted speed since the light can turn yellow at any time). The yellow light on these roads are long enough to give you enough time to stop.

If it's in the winter, then same thing as above, but you also depend on luck since it's slippery (in which you may stop right in the middle of the intersection or rear end or get rear ended => drive a lot slower than usual and give yourself alot of space in front)

962 kid
03-30-2006, 11:42 PM
I usually watch the Walk signal and anticipate the Yellow light while approaching the intersection -RED.

those are good if you are driving on the sidewalk...try using the red/yellow/green ones

soupey
03-30-2006, 11:46 PM
sprays do not work in alberta

since the numbers/digits are raised, it wont shine light back and overexpose to make the licence plate a white blur like it advertises...only way to do it is get a clear flat licence plate cover and use the spray on it, and try to keep it clean all the time, tough to do in calgary with all the snow + slush we have on the roads...but if ur really inclined...thats the only way u can do it effectively

soupey
03-30-2006, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by 3G
wtf yesterday im coming down barlow, I stop at the line cuz i had a red light and the camera flashed twice behind me

from what ive heard it takes two pictures, depending onwhere ur car is in each picture determines if ur at fault or something.

barbarian
03-31-2006, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by soupey
sprays do not work in alberta

since the numbers/digits are raised, it wont shine light back and overexpose to make the licence plate a white blur like it advertises...only way to do it is get a clear flat licence plate cover and use the spray on it, and try to keep it clean all the time, tough to do in calgary with all the snow + slush we have on the roads...but if ur really inclined...thats the only way u can do it effectively

I noticed a few city buses in Calgary with clear license plate covers and a white LED license plate light. Why? I don't know. I do know that you can't even read their plate in the day, let alone the night.

Dren
04-06-2006, 11:57 PM

from what ive heard it takes two pictures, depending onwhere ur car is in each picture determines if ur at fault or something.

ya the sprays don't work in alberta. not sure about it tho..lots of cars have the plastic covers. which the reflect coding on it.

adidas
04-07-2006, 02:47 AM
Go to SpyCity on 17th ave and 11st SW, they have lisence plate covers that reflect...so its either they reflect the first 3 or the last 3 numb/letters when the picture is taken...it costs about 50 bucks...but is VERY illegal. i guess its worth it if its gonna save you a few tickets here and there. But it is very noticable that you have it on when someone is driving behind you, in other words your screwed when cops are behind you.

I hope ^^ made sense cause its 3 in the morning and i had a real long day!

Kirbs17
04-07-2006, 10:32 AM
I was doin 100 on deerfoot last night, and this fucker in a white dakota came up beside me doing 120+, right when we both passed the dark purple minivan near beddington, and it flashed. Any ideas what to do if they actually send this ticket out? Because I am 110% positive I was not speeding.

msommers
04-07-2006, 11:38 AM

If it's in the summer, watch the WALK signal (WALK - you can drive fast, BLINKING HAND - driver reasonably, SOLID HAND - drive at or slower than posted speed since the light can turn yellow at any time). The yellow light on these roads are long enough to give you enough time to stop.
)

I don't know about anyone else but I was taught to look at the pedestrian signs in driver's ed through AMA

Mar
04-07-2006, 01:20 PM

That's incorrect, you shouldn't speed up or slow down if you realize you can't stop before it turns red. You should keep a constant speed and just cruise through the yellow.
Whenever I see a yellow, my first action is to try and stop, and if I think I can't do it, I just keep cruising.

Zero102
04-07-2006, 02:26 PM
^^^
Not always the case. If you're down-town, and have just started moving when the light turns yellow (i.e. are just coming through the crosswalk, where it's too late to stop, but you are not going very fast yet), it makes a lot more sense to speed up than to roll through the intersection at 5kph ;)

As for the photo radar question don't worry so much. The cameras and their operators are very good at what they do. You won't get a ticket unless they are certain you were speeding, which in this case they could not be.

BlueFrenzy
04-07-2006, 07:04 PM
Ha ha ... how about don't wash your license plate? :) Dang man, I've seen some people this winter where their plates are complete caked with grime. It was all BROWN. Even when stopped behind them, I could barely make out the letter/numbers (from them being raised).

No but seriously, if you must speed, use common sense and know roughly where the cameras are and where cops love to hide. Example is on 16 Ave, crossing deerfoot, there's a cop sitting on top of the hill as you are going west with a radar and another cop car hiding behind the hill. Under any bridge in the medians is another great spot for them. Another is center st northbound right after the bridge, on top of the hill.

hussein
04-09-2006, 01:21 PM
what about putting a bunch of infrared led's around your licence plate?

hussein
04-09-2006, 01:42 PM
http://www.radarbusters.com/products/photo-radar/vf.asp

somthing like this should be fairly easy to make with a cluster of infrared leds, but i am not sure, also i do not know if this is illegal or not.

any ideas? thanks.

Goblin
04-09-2006, 01:44 PM
^ yeah that wont get noticed at all :rolleyes:

Mar
04-09-2006, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Zero102
^^^
Not always the case. If you're down-town, and have just started moving when the light turns yellow (i.e. are just coming through the crosswalk, where it's too late to stop, but you are not going very fast yet), it makes a lot more sense to speed up than to roll through the intersection at 5kph ;)

As for the photo radar question don't worry so much. The cameras and their operators are very good at what they do. You won't get a ticket unless they are certain you were speeding, which in this case they could not be.

I assuming speed limit.

88CRXGUY
04-09-2006, 02:38 PM
How would that work then, if there is 2 cars but one is speeding and one isn't. Would both of them get the ticket concidering they are beside each other?

mo_money2supe
04-09-2006, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by 88CRXGUY
How would that work then, if there is 2 cars but one is speeding and one isn't. Would both of them get the ticket concidering they are beside each other?

If you've noticed, the cop that's sitting inside the photo radar cars is usually scribling something down whenever a photo gets taken. It would only make sense that they're writing down which car they saw with their own eyes that was speeding.

So to answer your question, no, only the car that is noticeably speeding gets the ticket. Now, if you were going just under the photo radar's parameters and the other guy is just going above it, that is, the difference in speed between you two is minor, then there's a chance that both of you could get the ticket. :dunno:

hussein
04-09-2006, 04:25 PM
i meant using infrared light so that only the camera could see it and not poeple driving around you

^ yeah that wont get noticed at all :rolleyes:

SP33DFR3AK
04-09-2006, 04:41 PM
The cheapest way to beat them is with hairspray and sran-a-wrap first cover plate with sran spray with hairspray then cover again and make sure it is very smoth:thumbsup:

Goblin
04-09-2006, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by hussein
i meant using infrared light so that only the camera could see it and not poeple driving around you

That is using light, not infrared light. infared is not on the visible spectrum, how the hell would a camera pic that up? Oh right, it wouldnt.

And 400 dollars? What a waste.

soupey
04-09-2006, 06:04 PM

That is using light, not infrared light. infared is not on the visible spectrum, how the hell would a camera pic that up? Oh right, it wouldnt.

And 400 dollars? What a waste.

point a tv remote control into a video camera and say that again.

Goblin
04-09-2006, 06:13 PM

point a tv remote control into a video camera and say that again.

no fucking way!!

that is so awesome

here is a pic:

Not transmitting:
http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/4000/picture679kq.jpg
Transmitting
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f379/goblin87/Picture66.jpg

When I gets ma paycheck im going to order a shit load of those l.e.ds and surround the plate lmao! Sweet idea, sorry for doubting you. BADDD mistake on my part

soupey
04-09-2006, 06:27 PM

no fucking way!!

that is so awesome

here is a pic:

Not transmitting:
http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/4000/picture679kq.jpg
Transmitting
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f379/goblin87/Picture66.jpg

When I gets ma paycheck im going to order a shit load of those l.e.ds and surround the plate lmao! Sweet idea, sorry for doubting you. BADDD mistake on my part

=) np bro

hussein
04-09-2006, 06:29 PM
yea man, it should be relatively cheap to make compared to that one in the link, it was just a similair idea.

post it when you do, im going to order my leds soon. we should start a project build thread or somthing for this, haha.

hussein
04-09-2006, 06:43 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7607719783

these ones seem to have a decent power rating with a pretty good angle.

the thing is, the light emiited has to be bright enough that it distorts the photo, not lights it up so it has a better shot, lol

soupey
04-09-2006, 06:56 PM
i think its good that u guys are thinking the right way, but especially in teh daylight, i dont think ur gona find too many led's that can illuminate ur license plate enough to over come teh flash (or day light) that the cameras will expose....but hey, its worth a shot i guess...uv light might be something to try, altho it'll make ur license plate glow at night...i dont think its at all illegal tho, that and its pretty easy to get high intensity UV led's. www.ledshoppe.com...takes about 2 wks to come in...its a pretty cheap site depending on what u get and what quantity u get...

Goblin
04-09-2006, 09:12 PM
Daylight will be difficult, that is for sure.

Any legalities as to drilling in your plate? lol :D

Goblin
04-09-2006, 09:13 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7607719783

these ones seem to have a decent power rating with a pretty good angle.

the thing is, the light emiited has to be bright enough that it distorts the photo, not lights it up so it has a better shot, lol

Those look good. I wasn't thinking about lighting the plate up, but, instead to have them placed within the plate. :D

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f379/goblin87/ledplacement.jpg

soupey
04-09-2006, 09:39 PM
provided u do a decent job and make it hard to see the holes...it could do the trick...u should try just poking the led's thru a piece of paper and then writing something with thick markers, then take pictures with a regular camera from a distance and see if it does the job, no point drilling up a plate if its not gona work...

Goblin
04-09-2006, 09:44 PM
That is a great idea dude. Now just need to order some....

hussein
04-09-2006, 10:27 PM
you are crazy if you drill in your plate! im pretty sure its super illegal to tamper with your licence plate.

the point of this is to be legal. lol.

hussein
04-09-2006, 10:48 PM
oh yea, you would only reallly need to block 1 or 2 letters/numbers out.

Dren
04-10-2006, 01:34 PM
oh yea, you would only reallly need to block 1 or 2 letters/numbers out.

Block 1 or 2...and u would do this how/ holes in the plate? with leds ! ?

Zero102
04-10-2006, 01:39 PM
Okay, but we are overlooking one small detail here.

IR LED's are only visible to CCD image sensors, not CMOS sensors. I could get into details, but essentially the threshold frequency for CCD image sensors is into the near-IR region. Most digital cameras are CCD, so this passes test 1.

But, what if they just use a normal film camera? IR LED's won't affect the image at all. IR LED's are cheap, but you could just be wasting your time.
Does anybody know for certain what type of camera is used in the photo radar vans?

If they are CCD, you don't need to drill holes in the plate and all that stuff.
Basically, you want to saturate the detector on multiple cells. These will flood over into their neighboring cells, and if you can get enough of this, it will eliminate much of the image. No fancy image recovery can make up for this with a high degree of accuracy.

However, the exposure time on the camera is very short. So, you would need very high intensity LED's to saturate the detector in a small fraction of a second.
They have probably calibrated their camera such that somebody can be driving at it with their headlights on and it would barely saturate. So, you need your LED's to be brighter than a set of car headlights in the IR spectrum. This will be difficult. (Assuming that they have calibrated their cameras this way, and they are CCD cameras)

Mar
04-10-2006, 04:50 PM
They can just overexpose/underexpose to see what the plate says.

hussein
04-10-2006, 10:53 PM
i just assumed they were using digital photography,
becuase everyone does? lol.

thanks for the heads up.

soupey
04-11-2006, 09:08 AM
pretty sure its a digital photograph

i think u might still be screwed tho, i think our cameras work much like this:
http://www.providenceri.com/ticketpay/Red_Light_FAQs.pdf

2 pics and a quick video of each red light infraction....that might be a bit tough to get past

soupey
04-11-2006, 09:11 AM
well looks like for us (as long as they dont hide anything about what they do...), that we only get 2 pictures taken, and a $287 fine, haha:
http://www.gov.calgary.ab.ca/police/trafficsafety/red_light_camera.html

Zero102
04-11-2006, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Mar
They can just overexpose/underexpose to see what the plate says.

Not if you saturate the detector.
The pixel wells are typically 65535 'deep'. If you can run a large section of them up to 65535 during the exposure time of the camera, then it's impossible to read what was in those pixels. Of course, once each well is saturated, it will 'spill' over into it's neighbors. If you can get this happening a LOT, then you could destory part of/all of the image.

I guess somebody should go get a photo ticket with a big collection of IR LEDs in their back window or something, then wait for the ticket to see if this will work? ;)

hussein
04-11-2006, 11:46 AM
My idea for this wasn't red light as I would never run a red light. It was for the speed cameras.

Goblin
04-11-2006, 07:12 PM
I seem to have missed some info the last couple of days of not posting.

Herm very very good points people. Need to have a think about this.

Dren
04-12-2006, 07:34 AM
I seem to have missed some info the last couple of days of not posting.

Herm very very good points people. Need to have a think about this.

Very tru..some very good points. anyone have any of these past methods in use at the moment ? pics ?

Very tru..some very good points. anyone have any of these past methods in use at the moment ? pics ?