PDA

View Full Version : Needing an advanced section?

Hollywood
03-21-2003, 02:58 PM
I'm not sure if it's worth it or not, but it's obvious that the technical section in this board is crappy. Personally I try to stay away from it, and not to help people because it becomes too annoying, also I don't post some questions because either I don't think anyone could answer it and because the forum has a lot of dummies and people that they think they know what they are talking about, then ruin a post. But if there was an advanced technical section that it was advertized advanced users only may post, I think it would help the image of this forum. Currently I post my techinical questions on another forum because it has an advanced section. I think this site has one thing over other car type specific forums, is that there is more of a broad range of knowledge because some own mustangs, some own a varity of imports, some race for real...etc.

It just seems that the mojorty of people on this forum are like 17 years old.

But what ever, if it's a bad idea then no worries.

2000impreza
03-21-2003, 03:20 PM
i don't know if a 'advanced' section would be a good idea or not.... but for the most part i agree with you. when i need technical info i'll post/research on different message boards.

rage2
03-21-2003, 03:36 PM
How about we find someone to moderate that forum and clean things up. Any advanced gurus up for the task?

D'z Nutz
03-21-2003, 04:11 PM
While I do agree with you, the downside with that are people are still going to post nonsense questions/advice in there either way. Most people are always going to think their questions are suitable for an "advanced" catagory and others will always think they have the answers for it, regardless of whether they do or don't. It's bad enough some people don't think enough as to where to properly post their questions/topics. But with that said, I'm all for it if we can make it work.

legendboy
03-21-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by rage2
How about we find someone to moderate that forum and clean things up. Any advanced gurus up for the task?

This is a good idea. Someone who can qualify people who post there. Like you have to be old enough to own a car to discuss techincal topics to start with :rofl:

Hollywood
03-21-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Well I'm not sure if I am the proper guru, but I'm up for it.

Weapon_R
03-22-2003, 05:35 AM
Hollywood's got it down pretty good I think :)

Alpine Autowerks
03-22-2003, 09:42 AM
Sounds good, I wouldn't mind helping out in that area. I refrain from answering some queries because it often turns into a mini flame war with what turn out to be some 12 year old.

Hollywood
03-22-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Alpine Autowerks
Sounds good, I wouldn't mind helping out in that area. I refrain from answering some queries because it often turns into a mini flame war with what turn out to be some 12 year old.

Ya for sure. If I was selected I would not be able to do it all by my self. It would take at least 2 people. Rage you can PM me with the answer, dont feel bad if you have to say no, it's not a big deal.

buh_buh
03-22-2003, 12:40 PM
damn know-it-alls.:rolleyes: :rofl:

shadowz
03-22-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
damn know-it-alls.:rolleyes: :rofl:

Lol good ideas though, I also find myself refraining from asking any questions at all due to the "know it all" factor and from what I have read a lot of the info is either wrong or they dont know, but i would also volunteer myself to help

Ben
03-22-2003, 01:24 PM
Well rage2 of course would make a good mod. But he's admin so thats ovrered. There are alot of other knowledgeable people, but they rarely post or come on beyond...perhaps with a section not flooded by BS and such they would frequent the forum more often?

FiveFreshFish
03-22-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood
Currently I post my techinical questions on another forum because it has an advanced section.

I ask technical questions on forums that are specific to my car model or manufacturer. You can't get that kind of info from such a broad scope of members like here on Beyond, but I learn a lot about other cars and Calgary events here.

Zephyr
03-22-2003, 02:16 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12144

yea i was suggesting a special forum with threads that answer specific questions... and others can refer to them if they have a similar question

James
03-22-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

I ask technical questions on forums that are specific to my car model or manufacturer. You can't get that kind of info from such a broad scope of members like here on Beyond, but I learn a lot about other cars and Calgary events here.

:werd:, exactly what i was gonna say, When i need to know a technical Question about my car, i know i will get more accurate and informative answers on a site such as www.MR2.com rather than Beyond. There i have atleast 2000 members that drive MKi MR2's to get an answer from, as aposed to here wher i there might be ummmm 3?......

Hollywood
03-22-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by James

:werd:, exactly what i was gonna say, When i need to know a technical Question about my car, i know i will get more accurate and informative answers on a site such as www.MR2.com rather than Beyond. There i have atleast 2000 members that drive MKi MR2's to get an answer from, as aposed to here wher i there might be ummmm 3?......

It's obvious that it's not designed to answer your specific car type questions, but there are many questions that are more general that could be answered.

James
03-22-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood

It's obvious that it's not designed to answer your specific car type questions, but there are many questions that are more general that could be answered.

I know, all im saying is you pretty much answered the Question of weather or not we need this kind of forum on beyond. Because there are alot of "17 year olds" that probably dont know alot about the technical aspect of cars, thats what the "car specific" sites are for IMO, either way:thumbsup:.

ramminghard
03-24-2003, 12:48 AM
I think that this is a great idea but I think that posts like how much a mechanic charges to do something should be in another place. Posts like a cheap place to have something fixed. These aren't tech tips or tuning so they should go somewhere else. The tech section is a great idea and i am all for it.

Hollywood
03-26-2003, 07:46 PM
As an update because of a recently closed thread about displacement.

Well "Ben" lately insists that I'm was whining about the lack of quality in the technical section in this forum. But I want to say this;

I don't care too much for the theory talk as it all ways starts fights IE: '4cyl vs 6cyl', 'large displacement over rotories', 'lightened flywheel' (Ok I did care about that one..hehehe). But really it's the real world questions/problems that I care to see better handled not the stupid theory crap.

ZorroAMG
04-03-2003, 01:40 PM
I know when I need technical assistance on Mercedes specific stuff, there are 2 good forums that i use ...what if Beyond had a list of these sites made up so that anyone could access them for pertinent info...would that step on peoples toes here or be a good idea that you coulld implement