PDA

View Full Version : turbo subaru RS : need help

digi
03-31-2006, 08:52 AM
I know there's a couple people on here with NA subaru impreza's gone turbo. I am just curious which turbo setup these guys are running, and if they have had any problems? If not, are you under 6psi?

Also I'm wondering how much your entire setup ran you...

Thanks!
-george

benyl
03-31-2006, 09:47 AM
I wouldn't bother. Do a search and you will see that a few people have done it and went back to stock. You are likely to blow your transmission. You are better off selling your car and buying a WRX.

pitwipe
03-31-2006, 10:47 AM
^ +1

Or do a WRX swap. But I hear turbo-ing the RS is no easy task and not reliable afterwards.

Canadian 2.5RS
03-31-2006, 02:27 PM
I have put a lot of research into it and when its all said and done you might as well have done the swap. It will cost you roughly the same and at least with the swap you have a certain degree of reliability.

Trust me it's not worth it.

digi
03-31-2006, 06:25 PM
enough said, thanks for the tips guys.

Sacred
03-31-2006, 07:29 PM
Say goodbye to your clutch and second gear.

2000impreza
04-01-2006, 01:47 AM
I find it funny how everyone likes to point out the weakness of the 2.5RS 5-speed. This tranny is pretty much same as the wrx counter part with slightly different gearing and final drive. The 2.5RS tranny is not as weak as most think. The strength is probably more subjective to the amount of abuse it is put through.

One thing I will say is be prepared to have deep pockets to go into a project like this. I've never seen anyone stay near their budget.......

digi
04-01-2006, 11:18 AM
Would a jdm sti clip be a better route to go? I say jdm, because i have a good connection for jdm clips and stuff... so it would be harder for me to find a usdm one.

waypastfast
04-01-2006, 12:54 PM
I got a buddy of mine who is just about done a turbo kit on his RS and he is into it for about the same $$$ as a wrx (with rebuilt top end and tranny).....and it is 400lbs lighter than a WRX....seems awesome so far!

That.Guy.S30
04-01-2006, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by digi
Would a jdm sti clip be a better route to go? I say jdm, because i have a good connection for jdm clips and stuff... so it would be harder for me to find a usdm one.

would the clip be cheaper than just the engine/tranny? if so then yes. get the stuff you need and then part it the rest.

That.Guy.S30
04-01-2006, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by waypastfast
I got a buddy of mine who is just about done a turbo kit on his RS and he is into it for about the same $$$ as a wrx (with rebuilt top end and tranny).....and it is 400lbs lighter than a WRX....seems awesome so far!

wait till he cranks up the boost.. and ka-boom

ive read horror stories on rs25.com about the turbo guys. doesnt seem like fun. i waould swap instead

2000impreza
04-01-2006, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs

wait till he cranks up the boost.. and ka-boom

ive read horror stories on rs25.com about the turbo guys. doesnt seem like fun. i waould swap instead

Nothing is going to blow up if the boost is kept at an reasonable level and the car has proper engine management. Although this one time i seen a rod shoot through a block, but thats a different story. lol.

I would suggest an sti swap over turbo kit or wrx route. Atleast you have reliability and decent power to begin with.

Fuji
04-01-2006, 03:39 PM
Just buy a used pre turbo'd RS for the price of a new WRX or buy a new wrx. You'll be way farther ahead so i hear and read on the forums

That.Guy.S30
04-01-2006, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by 2000impreza

Nothing is going to blow up if the boost is kept at an reasonable level and the car has proper engine management.

important engine management is completely true. and i wont argue with you.

my piont was that some ppl are not satisfied with the 5-6psi that they are running and crank it up. thats when the damage will start.

Sacred
04-04-2006, 11:10 PM
I'll have a v.6 Type-R clip around september/october if you need one.

Canadian 2.5RS
04-05-2006, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Sacred
I'll have a v.6 Type-R clip around september/october if you need one.

just out of curiosity... how much are you looking to get?

benyl
04-05-2006, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by 2000impreza

Although this one time i seen a rod shoot through a block, but thats a different story. lol.

Wasn't that the second attempt at boosting an RS?

Third time is a charm.... if the tranny holds.

hehe

marcl
04-06-2006, 01:05 PM
i ran a turbo setup on my car for a while running 8 pounds. it went like STANK!... i was also running a full standalone. ithink the tuning is more important than anything. that 8 pounds was enough to satisfy me for a bit. if you need anymore questions just ask me. theres lots of things i did to the car to make a turbo nice and sutible.
marc l

Sacred
04-06-2006, 03:40 PM
Cheap! Around 4-5 thousand. That includes ECU, Engine, Tranny, Clutch, basically the whole Motor & Drive Train. If my company then allows, i'll also include several interior pieces as well.

Fuji
04-06-2006, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Sacred
Cheap! Around 4-5 thousand. That includes ECU, Engine, Tranny, Clutch, basically the whole Motor & Drive Train. If my company then allows, i'll also include several interior pieces as well.

want to part out some of it? :)

Fuji
04-06-2006, 04:24 PM
Here's a helpful bit of knowledge. Calculate how much you tihnk it will cost you. Double that number, but in reality it will most likely triple

Sacred
04-07-2006, 12:33 AM
This is a parts car, right now we have a FC, GC8 (either v.5/6 R or RA) EK9-R, and possibly a silvia (all parts cars, so that means cut) coming around late august, early september. Mac has already asked for several parts from us so that'll be filling the crate, otherwise if you need something please PM me.

digi
04-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Can anyone help me with installing a swap?

I dont mind spending cash to get it professionally installed, but I would really like to learn some of this stuff. I dont know much at all right now.

I'd gladly pay anyone who has enough experience in swapping subaru's.

Sacred
04-08-2006, 12:36 PM
Then its best for you to drive down to BC, I would believe that Rocket Rally is probably Western Canada's best Subaru tuner.

Fuji
04-10-2006, 09:08 AM
I suggest doing it yourself. It takes longer, but when shit goes wrong at least you know how to fix it.

Also wiring in a JDM ECU is no easy task. I only know of 2 ppl who can do that..

l/l/rX
05-06-2006, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Fuji
I suggest doing it yourself. It takes longer, but when shit goes wrong at least you know how to fix it.

Also wiring in a JDM ECU is no easy task. I only know of 2 ppl who can do that..

fragment on nasioc being one of them

That.Guy.S30
05-06-2006, 08:55 PM
^ i already mentioned fragment to digi.