PDA

View Full Version : Problem with wheel humming.

88CRX
03-31-2006, 12:52 PM
Quick question for ya guys…

99 Civic sir’ its lowered 2” or something… no camber kit. He has some negative camber but not that much. Anyways its developed a humming sound at certain speeds. So he takes it to Honda this morning to get is checked out and they call a couple hours later and they said they cant find a problem cause there too much rubbing noise. And they want to charge him $100 for their diagnostics… there diagnostics is that they cant find a problem cause there is too much rubbing. Which BTW, there isn’t. The tires do not rub. We think it’s the wheels bearing… but they wont listen. Tires have been balanced and are only 1.5 years old…. No camber wear on them. Car was aligned a year ago or so… it does not pull the car around.

So first off can they charge $100 if they cant find anything wrong?

And what else might it be?

sleeperstang
03-31-2006, 01:08 PM
Are they winter tires? They will hum when driven on dry roads. Otherwise could be a chaffing brake drum (if the car has drums) or a faulty bearing in the wheel.

88CRX
03-31-2006, 01:12 PM
it a pulsing hum

ninjak84
03-31-2006, 01:36 PM
The $100 is a pretty standard fee. They have the right to charge it, even though it's retarded.
Sounds like either wheel bearing or CV joint to me....

nonsane
03-31-2006, 01:50 PM
it could be a hell of a lot of problems

but for my friend he had a problem with a constant humming and it was his bushings were completly shot(therefore carrying the sound and vibrating the passenger compartment)

in my experience bearings usually squeal and CV's usually click. but check it out. see if you can borrow some tires, and start there..

frostyda9
03-31-2006, 08:59 PM
Put a stethoscope on the hub, this is a handy way to check for bearing noise ;)

BigShow
03-31-2006, 09:04 PM
I had the same problem, and it turned out to be my tires were eating into the plastic lining in the wheel well.