PDA

View Full Version : make computer run quiet???

harley11
04-01-2006, 02:49 AM
sometimes i like to work in silence. My computer is loud and on the desk right beside me . Can i make it run quite??? if i can how do i do this? (windows xp)

That dam fan is bugging me.

badMotoFinga
04-01-2006, 03:03 AM
unplug your case fans .. haha

actually I just got one of these

http://www.memoryexpress.com/index.php?PageTag=&page=file&memx_menu=EmbedProductDetail.php&DisplayProductID=2728&SID=

I have 3 case fans, one 80mm and two 120mm. It cuts down the noise alot to a subtle purring as opposed to blowdryer styles.

harley11
04-01-2006, 03:11 AM
I just thought i could go into setting or something in the computer...or power managment

soupey
04-01-2006, 08:18 AM
the only thing u cud do without opening your computer to change fans is to go into ur bios and see if ur cpu fan can be controlled by the motherboard...(labelled "q-fan" or "smart-fan" on my computers at home), it'll make ur cpu fan slow down depending on how hot its getting...

the fans that are likely bothering u are the case fans and the power supply fan....soo either unplug one of the case fans...or get a new power supply....

rony_espana
04-01-2006, 09:15 AM
I have a similar problem, but its my hard drive that makes this stupid noise when its reading/writing, I even went out and bought a liquid bearing hard drive and it still makes the same noise :banghead:

frostyda9
04-02-2006, 08:50 PM
^^ Get a Seagate Barracuda, single platter, and hang it ;)

More than likely your loud fan noise is the CPU fan harley11.
Look into an aftermarket CPU cooler from MemEx and while you're at it replace the case fans with Panaflos. The difference will be astounding. The video card is a very likely candidate for HF noise as well.

This was the Lian Li that I built a while ago...if you look closely you will see some of the ways I managed to keep the noise down...the video cars uses a PCI mounted Panaflo, the CPU fan is de-coupled from the heatsink, etc.

Just try out some modding man, none of this stuff is all that hard...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/frostyDA9/DSC00832.jpg