PDA

View Full Version : HIGHEST octane at calgary gas stations

ACS-e36
03-22-2003, 01:38 AM
sofar the highest ive seen is 92 at a esso. is there any higher anywhere?:dunno:

bol
03-22-2003, 01:42 AM
rage2 has done some fuel testing here and from his results...

#1 Mohawk/Husky 92
#2 Esso 92
#3 Shell 91

he can probably elaborate more

personally I stay away from Shell now...

bol
03-22-2003, 01:42 AM
Of course there is always VP103 :P

ACS-e36
03-22-2003, 01:52 AM
yeah i hear some stations are crap... and stoot out piss gas... which would thoes be?

rage2
03-22-2003, 01:57 AM
If you can find exactly what octane level your car uses before detonation and at optimal ignition timing advance, use that fuel, it'll make the most power. Any lower octane and it'll retard timing, higher octane and there's less energy per stroke.

If your car's a turbo, get the highest octane possible and crank up the boost till you get detonation at optimal forced induction timing. That's how you'd get the most power.

All about experimentation! :D

Illusionsir
03-22-2003, 02:44 AM
I know this is not in town, but revelstoke has 102 octane pump fuel, damn near died when i saw that. do john deere's really have that high of compression?? lol

three.eighteen.
03-22-2003, 04:12 AM
mohawk gas is better, nothing idles smoother or gets the engine to temp faster

rx7_turbo2
03-22-2003, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by rage2
If you can find exactly what octane level your car uses before detonation and at optimal ignition timing advance, use that fuel, it'll make the most power. Any lower octane and it'll retard timing, higher octane and there's less energy per stroke.

If your car's a turbo, get the highest octane possible and crank up the boost till you get detonation at optimal forced induction timing. That's how you'd get the most power.

All about experimentation! :D

Not a good idea if you own a rotary;)

benyl
03-22-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
mohawk gas is better, nothing idles smoother or gets the engine to temp faster

That is cause they put alcohol or something in it. In the winter in California, they add alcohol (or something) to make the engines run hotter. That way combustion happens more completely and you get less smog. That is why they call themselves "Mother nature's gas station."

The drawback to that is you get shittier gas milage. Your milage may vary, but I noticed about a 10% loss.

If you are not driving with a customized engine, then use the fuel that is recommended by the manufacturer.

I think that it was R&T or C&D that did a test on the 6th Gen Accord V6. Using any fuel higher than the recomended 87 octane actual cause the motor to lose power. With my Av6 I get the most power using the cheap stuff.

B

Joe Malms
03-22-2003, 02:57 PM
i wish mohawk still had 94 octane.
I use to drive to 16th ave just to fill gas

calarina
03-22-2003, 03:09 PM
I find that Petro Canada's 91 Octane gets me the most milage. My last tank I got 236 miles to my tank! When I normally get around 210 miles with any other gas. :D

*note* notice the "miles", and not "kms". Car's from California :thumbsup:

RiceCake
03-23-2003, 12:48 AM
I think I still get the best milage from esso gas. I only need 87 octane... heh...

Roaring G60
03-23-2003, 12:54 PM
this is a simple problem to solve: Toluene mixed with a tank of gas. It is the main ingrediant in octane boosters, it nomial octane rating is 114! It is available @ paint stores for around $10/5 Ltrs.(better than race gas) In the turbo days of F1 the team where using 100% toluene as there fuel with boost pressure towards 5bar for qualiflying, This fuel was the only thing allowing these motors to make 1500+ hp without detonation.(note do not attempt to use toluene as your only source of fuel as that it is somewhat volitle and needs to be mixed with gas, the general consensus is no more than 10% toluene!!!!
(note the writer of the post assume's NO responsability to anyone who decides to use above mentioned products in there Car/truck/lawnmower)

rage2
03-23-2003, 01:24 PM
You can buy a drum of 103 octane VP 103 unleaded fuel for a little more than what it would cost for Toluene.

rx7_turbo2
03-23-2003, 05:34 PM
I believe xylene can be had for cheaper than toluene, and has the same effects. Problem is with the shitty gas we get it takes a relatively high percentage of the stuff to make a real difference. Why can't we just get better gas to start with?

rage2
03-23-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2
I believe xylene can be had for cheaper than toluene, and has the same effects. Problem is with the shitty gas we get it takes a relatively high percentage of the stuff to make a real difference. Why can't we just get better gas to start with?

Because we're at high elevations here, and we (well stock cars) don't need the high octane. In vancouver, whole different story.

I heard the regular in Colorado (like 6000+ft elevation) the Regular gas is 85 octane.

Inzane
03-23-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by bol

#3 Shell 91

personally I stay away from Shell now...

You act like that was some kind of secret. I've always known Shell Gold was 91. I think you can read it right off the pumps at some stations.

bol
03-23-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Inzane

You act like that was some kind of secret. I've always known Shell Gold was 91. I think you can read it right off the pumps at some stations.

Has nothing to do with misleading octane ratings...

they've had numerous additives in their gasoline that have caused problems for people

the fuel injectors in our old car were killed because of an additive in their gasoline, there was a big stink about it awhile back, only affected GM vehicles.

shell did pay for the repairs though

In my mind though, anything that's bad for one companies fuel injectors can't be good for anothers.

rage2
03-23-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Inzane

Just because a company advertises 91 doesn't mean it's really 91 (not shell). :D

RiCE-DaDDy
03-24-2003, 12:07 AM
whats the story with shell??

kaput
03-24-2003, 12:15 AM

bol
03-24-2003, 12:16 AM
yeah
this was a long time ago(winter 2001 if i recal..)

apparently it happened again

three.eighteen.
03-24-2003, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by benyl

The drawback to that is you get shittier gas milage. Your milage may vary, but I noticed about a 10% loss.

haha i just calculted the approx fuel mileage on my last tank...~15mpg...isnt that pretty bad?

trendkill
03-24-2003, 01:09 AM

haha i just calculted the approx fuel mileage on my last tank...~15mpg...isnt that pretty bad?

thats shitty dude, i get anywhere from 24-26mpg in my 328i

benyl
03-24-2003, 11:29 AM

It isn't that bad if you race from stop light to stop light with the pedal on the floor. But if you drive like a normal human being, you may as well be driving a full size SUV with a big V8, cause that is what they get.

B

Roaring G60
03-24-2003, 11:58 AM

Just because a company advertises 91 doesn't mean it's really 91 (not shell). :D

Actually they have to sell 91 R+M/2 octane if the advertise it as that, it's called false advertising if not and the feds do period test at pumps to insure this.

rx7_turbo2
03-24-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Roaring G60

Actually they have to sell 91 R+M/2 octane if the advertise it as that, it's called false advertising if not and the feds do period test at pumps to insure this.

If you believe that you're the biggest sucker on the face of the planet.

There is a big difference between what they are required to do and what is done in reality.

rage2
03-24-2003, 05:37 PM
hehe the turbo guys know exactly what I'm talking about :D.

The inconsistency on 91 octane pump fuel in Calgary is amazing. Cars tuned to the edge of knock would understand when they fill up at different stations :D.

bol
03-24-2003, 05:38 PM
group buy on barrels of VP103 anyone? :)

three.eighteen.
03-24-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by trendkill

thats shitty dude, i get anywhere from 24-26mpg in my 328i

hmmm, my car idles at like 1200-1500, unfortunately ive never driven/ridden in another 318...so is this normal?

It isn't that bad if you race from stop light to stop light with the pedal on the floor. But if you drive like a normal human being, you may as well be driving a full size SUV with a big V8, cause that is what they get.

B

hmmm...dually noted

redline
03-24-2003, 06:17 PM

The inconsistency on 91 octane pump fuel in Calgary is amazing. Cars tuned to the edge of knock would understand when they fill up at different stations :D.

:werd: Its all about Mohawk! I cried the day 94 went away :(

Weapon_R
03-24-2003, 06:22 PM

That really is shitty...

4000lb SUV's with V8's have better mileage than that...

ACS-e36
03-24-2003, 06:30 PM

hmmm, my car idles at like 1200-1500, unfortunately ive never driven/ridden in another 318...so is this normal?

well mines not a 318 but i think idleing at 1200-1500 is a bit high... i idle at 600-700 ish on my 320

rx7_turbo2
03-24-2003, 07:19 PM

It is amazing, guys with wideband O2 sensors can really tell you the difference.

benyl
03-24-2003, 07:46 PM

You should be idling at 800-1000. My cousin's Bimmer had the same problem... get it checked out...

three.eighteen.
03-24-2003, 07:49 PM
yeh the idle control valves are known to go

SilverRex
03-24-2003, 08:23 PM
ya wish I live in vancouver, 94 octane at chevron, even the states I was in california, I didnt notice chevron had 94, maybe I missed it

SilverRex
03-24-2003, 09:36 PM
well 94 when I went to vancouver last year...yum

Hollywood
03-25-2003, 08:54 AM
You can buy a drum of 103 octane VP 103 unleaded fuel for a little more than what it would cost for Toluene.

Really? PM the place.

Toulene and Xylene are around the same price for a 5 gal drum. 35 bucks each roughly. But at your own discretion you can mix both 7% Toulene 3% xylene for a good mix. But for my car 10% is 6 liters.

He is some cost math;

5 gal X 3.84 (L/gal)= 19.2L / 6L= 3.2 fill ups / $35 = $10.94 per fillup.

redline
03-25-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by SilverRex
I was in california, I didnt notice chevron had 94, maybe I missed it

cali has been 91max for a year or so now.

rx7_turbo2
03-25-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood

Really? PM the place.

Toulene and Xylene are around the same price for a 5 gal drum. 35 bucks each roughly. But at your own discretion you can mix both 7% Toulene 3% xylene for a good mix. But for my car 10% is 6 liters.

He is some cost math;

5 gal X 3.84 (L/gal)= 19.2L / 6L= 3.2 fill ups / $35 = $10.94 per fillup.

It can probably be found a little cheaper with some "connections" But I agree it's not cheap by any means, imagine if you had to run premix as well, us rotary guys really get the shit end of the stick.

Hollywood
03-25-2003, 02:58 PM
imagine if you had to run premix as well, us rotary guys really get the shit end of the stick.

Who does'nt use premium?

rx7_turbo2
03-25-2003, 06:00 PM

Who does'nt use premium?

I'm looking at having to run premium, xylene, and 100:1 premix, it gets expensive.

Hollywood
03-25-2003, 07:02 PM

I'm looking at having to run premium, xylene, and 100:1 premix, it gets expensive.

That's the price you have to pay to not have pistons!

Hehehehe.:burnout:

benyl
03-25-2003, 07:25 PM

Who does'nt use premium?

I don't... not worth it...

Hollywood
03-25-2003, 07:31 PM

I don't... not worth it...

I was mostly referring to turbo cars.

But hey 91 is better for the environment!

rx7_turbo2
03-25-2003, 07:41 PM

That's the price you have to pay to not have pistons!

Hehehehe.:burnout:

I wish that was the only price:rolleyes:

Joe Malms
03-28-2003, 12:50 AM

I wish that was the only price:rolleyes:

oh how true..haha

Just a brain fart here...what if one were to tune with say, 89-90 octane gas and then run 92 octane at all times more as a safety margin than an envelope pusher(considering the fact the actual octane can vary from the quoted) .
:nut:

p.s. gorgeous avatar

rage2
03-28-2003, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Joe Malms
Just a brain fart here...what if one were to tune with say, 89-90 octane gas and then run 92 octane at all times more as a safety margin than an envelope pusher(considering the fact the actual octane can vary from the quoted) .

That's sort of what I do. I have my car tuned to 92 Mohawk last year, about 13psi of boost was the knock limit on a warm day. I turned my boost down to 11.5psi, so it never knocks even if I got a bad tank of gas, or it's a hot day out.

rx7_turbo2
03-28-2003, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Joe Malms

oh how true..haha

:nut:

p.s. gorgeous avatar

I'm not sure how that would work. With 89-90 octane you couldnt run much boost.

Ya I love the mullet.

Joe Malms
03-28-2003, 03:14 AM

13psi of boost was the knock limit on a warm day.

yow...that must be a fairly high compression motor..?

rage2
03-28-2003, 11:18 AM
Nope, just a big ass turbo! My stock turbo I could run 18psi on pump gas with no knock. It made about 80hp less at the wheels compared to 12psi now :D.

rx7_turbo2
03-28-2003, 12:21 PM
Nope, just a big ass turbo! My stock turbo I could run 18psi on pump gas with no knock. It made about 80hp less at the wheels compared to 12psi now :D.

What size is the turbo? I don't remember it being all that big, what was your top hp run on the dyno?

rx7_turbo2
03-29-2003, 12:41 PM

What size is the turbo? I don't remember it being all that big, what was your top hp run on the dyno?

Sorry I don't think that sounded right.

But from memory I don't remember the turbo in your 944 being what most might consider a big! turbo, if I'm wrong feel free to correct me, but from my limited fidling in the engine bay of one of those there doesnt appear to be that much room, I would think getting a big turbo in there would take some major modifications. In addition the blow off valve you were running when I saw it would not support a huge turbo, if you've made changes let me know.

Cheers

rage2
03-29-2003, 04:25 PM
haha the blow off valve was totally modified to not open till 30+ psi. Marc and I used a rubber stopper to enhance the spring's effect :D.

And you're right, fitting that turbo underneath the Intake manifold is a bitch! It's the biggest turbo I can fit in there (.60A/R) without modifying the intake manifold.

As for turbo size, it's supposedly a secret from a tuner shop, but the best source I can find is a T04E either 57 or 60 trim with a KKK #8 hotside housing and garrett turbine wheel. The forums guys believe it's a 57 trim but based on the compressor maps (and the damn lag) it looks like it might be a 60 trim.

rx7_turbo2
03-29-2003, 05:10 PM
haha the blow off valve was totally modified to not open till 30+ psi. Marc and I used a rubber stopper to enhance the spring's effect :D.

And you're right, fitting that turbo underneath the Intake manifold is a bitch! It's the biggest turbo I can fit in there (.60A/R) without modifying the intake manifold.

As for turbo size, it's supposedly a secret from a tuner shop, but the best source I can find is a T04E either 57 or 60 trim with a KKK #8 hotside housing and garrett turbine wheel. The forums guys believe it's a 57 trim but based on the compressor maps (and the damn lag) it looks like it might be a 60 trim.

When I mentioned the blow off valve I was talking about the volume it's able to vent. I have delt with a To4e that uses a huge Tial blow off valve and it still sees some compressor surge, you can hear it "chirp". The vent holes on your blow off valve seemed a bit small to me that's why I mentioned it, it's a blue turbo smart is it not? If it works for you that's cool.

You can have a little T3 turbo with a .60A/R so that does not help in understanding what size it is. Just from my own experience I think it would be very hard to get a to4e under there without a custom manifold or something. Hey as long as the thing is making the power you want who cares I guess.

I guess it depends what you consider a big turbo, T66, or T88 come to mind, I have an upgraded turbo as well but would never consider it a big turbo.

rage2
03-29-2003, 05:32 PM
hehe it's big compared to the stock one. The max flow on it is about 500whp on my car, so pretty big IMO. Its no 1000hp turbo if that's what you meant by big :rofl: For 951 standards, it's big and laggy.

The compressor is a T04E as confirmed by the Garrett markings. And it was a bitch fitting it in there according to Marc. Some of the 951 guys fit new intake manifolds down there and custom xover pipes so they can drop in the GT series big turbos.

The blowoff valve is some European one that Marc picked up. It chirps when the throttle is closed, but that's because I have it set to such a high PSI setting before opening up. Not good for the turbo cuz of the light surging, but its needed to be able to run high boost.

Maxt
03-29-2003, 09:07 PM
I have a T04E on my car, I do not beleive it would even come near to fitting in a 944 with all the crap jammed in there, I know soloracer had an "upgraded" kkk turbo for his 951, my T04e was big enough to ingest the kkk and spit out the discharge, I think the 944 upgraded turbo's are a t04b variant, which are quite a bit smaller.. I am also running a .70 a/r on the compressor side and a 1.15 a/r on the turbine side.. As Rx-7turbo_2 said, I still get surge with the tial bov..
I am not sure where you are getting your info from that you need a huge spring in your bov to run high boost, since the boost pressure is applied to both sides of the valve when the throttle plates are open, all you need is a small amount of extra pressure on the closing force side to keep the valve close, which is typically equal to your idle vacuum, which on my car happens to be about 14" so I run a 9 pound spring, and I run up to 19 psi of boost..

Hollywood
03-29-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Maxt
. I am also running a .70 a/r on the compressor side and a 1.15 a/r on the turbine side.. As Rx-7turbo_2 said, I still get surge with the tial gate..

Dude! 1.15 A/R turbine is huge!!!

. all you need is a small amount of extra pressure on the closing force side to keep the valve close, which is typically equal to your idle vacuum, which on my car happens to be about 14" so I run a 9 pound spring, and I run up to 19 psi of boost..

Ya mine runs 16 PSI, 12-14 PSI of boost.

rx7_turbo2
03-30-2003, 09:08 AM

I am not sure where you are getting your info from that you need a huge spring in your bov to run high boost, since the boost pressure is applied to both sides of the valve when the throttle plates are open, all you need is a small amount of extra pressure on the closing force side to keep the valve close, which is typically equal to your idle vacuum,

Agreed, that sounded a little strange to me as well. If the turbo is making the power you want then I guess it does'nt matter what size it is, but I will have to see it with my own eyes to believe it's a TO4e, I just can't see that fitting in there.