PDA

View Full Version : Travelling the World!

davidI
04-02-2006, 04:53 PM
I will probably be able to go over to Yemen for 2 years to work for an Oil & Gas Company doing Contract Law. Although living/working in Yemen probably won't be that fun...the good news it is 45 days in & 45 days out...meaning for every 45 days I work I will have 45 days to travel the world (16 potential trips). If it all works out, the company will cover my airfare almost anywhere in the world as it is cheaper to go most places than to fly back to Canada.

If this works out, it could be in as little as 10 weeks. Not much time to finish my schooling, sell a bunch of my stuff in Calgary and plan a bunch of vacations!! I'm hoping to never need to come back to Calgary in the 2 years, so I'm doing my best to plan potential trips right now and arrange for supplies etc. I only found out about this opportunity 3 days ago, so things are still very preliminary but I was thinking of going to:

Japan (ski/snowboard)
Western Europe (backpacking)
Eastern Europe (backpacking)
Southern Europe (spain/Portugal/Italy
Chile (ski/snowboard)
Africa (tour/safari/backpack???)
Thailand (beach/surf)
New Zealand (beach/surf)
Iceland (par-tay)

These were all just inital thoughts. I do not want to do the typical touristy type things...I'd rather do adventurous activities and party now while I'm young and go back to the museums/castles/sights later in life!

I was also thinking of writing some sort of book about my travels. A beers of the world type book (I love beer) where I'd review beers from all over the world but also include a story relating to that bevvy. It could be a good personal story from that day, an interesting fact about the beer/pub/village or anything else I think people would enjoy reading about. Keeping that in mind...people wouldn't want to read about the typical vacations, common places, or standard sights...so I'm looking for cool stuff to do.

Ideas/thoughts/comments about any or all of this?

Anyone have a neat adventure worth checking out? Hints/Tips in regards to any of the places I listed? Any good resources for information!?

Mar
04-02-2006, 05:22 PM
My girlfriend lived in New Zealand for over 30 years, I could talk to her about it for you. She's probably going to recommend staying away from it entirely, but she will be able to recommend some spots where you won't get killed!

And one of my best friends lives in Iceland, you're not going to want to go anywhere outside Rejkavyik or however you spell it. I'll ask him about it.

davidI
04-02-2006, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Mar
My girlfriend lived in New Zealand for over 30 years, I could talk to her about it for you. She's probably going to recommend staying away from it entirely, but she will be able to recommend some spots where you won't get killed!

And one of my best friends lives in Iceland, you're not going to want to go anywhere outside Rejkavyik or however you spell it. I'll ask him about it.

Thanks, I'd appreciate that! I have some friends who live in New Zealand that can hopefully help me out....I didn't think it was the sort of country where you'd get killed though???

I would definitely appreciate information on Iceland though!

Thanks

t-im
04-02-2006, 05:53 PM
If you can, fly out to Mauritius - it's beautiful + I loved it last time I was there.

I've been to Africa before, but that was about 10+ years ago, so can't say too much about it..though a friend went to Ghana last yr and had a blast.

davidI
04-02-2006, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by t-im
If you can, fly out to Mauritius - it's beautiful + I loved it last time I was there.

I've been to Africa before, but that was about 10+ years ago, so can't say too much about it..though a friend went to Ghana last yr and had a blast.

Can you give me any more information on Mauritius or Ghana?

I'm looking at http://www.mauritius.net/index2.htm and it looks very resorty. Is this the case or is it safe to travel within the villages and what not as well?

I found this http://www.afriski.co.za/Enquiries.htm it's skiing in South Africa. One of my goals may be to ski every continent...although the cost of transporting skis/boots everywhere may inhibit me from doing this.

mac_82
04-03-2006, 09:33 AM
I wouldn't plan on much surfing in Thailand, Indonesia is much better for surfing, most of the ocean off Thailand is like a warm bath with no waves. It is still my fav place in the world though. :D

As for New Zealand, the south island and the towns there are much like going to Banff or Canmore. The north island has some pretty nice beaches, but if its surfing you want, I would recommend Australia, plus the water is warmer.

2.2vtec
04-03-2006, 09:47 AM
Holy smokes how did you land that job?! Any more positions??:eek:

davidI
04-03-2006, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by 2.2vtec
Holy smokes how did you land that job?! Any more positions??:eek:

I already work for the company in their Calgary office. The positions were all supposed to be filled until Nov. 2007 but one has probably opened up for June so they asked me if I'd be interested....

davidI
04-03-2006, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by mac_82
I wouldn't plan on much surfing in Thailand, Indonesia is much better for surfing, most of the ocean off Thailand is like a warm bath with no waves. It is still my fav place in the world though. :D

As for New Zealand, the south island and the towns there are much like going to Banff or Canmore. The north island has some pretty nice beaches, but if its surfing you want, I would recommend Australia, plus the water is warmer.

Thanks for the info! I'm not much of a surfer...I guess I'm more into the beach and I wanted to spend lots of time in the water and try to get ok. So do the South islands of New Zealand have good skiing do you know? Maybe that would be a ski trip rather than a surf trip...

mac_82
04-03-2006, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by davidI

Thanks for the info! I'm not much of a surfer...I guess I'm more into the beach and I wanted to spend lots of time in the water and try to get ok. So do the South islands of New Zealand have good skiing do you know? Maybe that would be a ski trip rather than a surf trip...

Ya south island is supposed to have some killer skiing, I was there in the wrong season, but my buddy went a couple years ago and loved it, other than the volcanoe eruption that put an early end to his trip.

For the south island, I would start at Queenstown, its pretty much like Banff, the tourist mecca, and go from there.

http://www.queenstown-nz.co.nz/

davidI
04-03-2006, 11:25 PM
cool, thanks man!

andres_mt
04-04-2006, 02:06 AM
You'll love it in Chile, its really a great country, just watch out for pick-pockets, big problem in Santiago (capital city) if your ever there; but if your going to be in the Andes most of the time you have nothing to worry about.:D

davidI
04-04-2006, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by andres_mt
You'll love it in Chile, its really a great country, just watch out for pick-pockets, big problem in Santiago (capital city) if your ever there; but if your going to be in the Andes most of the time you have nothing to worry about.:D

Thanks man, it should be cool. It looks like Argentina has some pretty intense mountains as well. Something turns me on about being able to ski from June to September....

Locke
04-06-2006, 09:59 AM
I was in Costa Rica for a few months and of all my travels that country is by far the most exciting experience I've had. The people are fantastic, the food is great, at night there is always somethign happening. However, the country varies so much in the adventurous activities you can do. I went on a 3 day white water rafting trip, the have the worlds highest, longest and fastest zip lines, cliff repelling, jumping and bouldering, and not to mention surfing.

snade831
04-06-2006, 10:07 AM
what an amazing experience. good luck with everything!

davidI
04-06-2006, 01:01 PM
Thanks guys!

Costa Rica sounds sweet too.

If people have more information about their trips...as far as best season to be there, waht you need to enter the country (travel visa?), languages, currency, transportation, accomodation etc. I'd appreciate it!!

The prospect of thoroughly researching 16 trips is intimidating.... the more information I can draw from people's past experiences the better!!

Mar
04-06-2006, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by davidI

Thanks, I'd appreciate that! I have some friends who live in New Zealand that can hopefully help me out....I didn't think it was the sort of country where you'd get killed though???

I would definitely appreciate information on Iceland though!

Thanks
I just emailed her.

andres_mt
04-07-2006, 12:20 AM
Hey if you ever go to spain be sure to check out barcelona and if you really want to go to one of the nicest places on earth imo , check out Mallorca.

Vagabond142
04-07-2006, 12:59 AM
New Zealand has some EXCELLENT beaches (I would know, my entire family lives there! O_O!), although the surfing isn't as good as Australia. But NZ has so much more than just beaches. It has some of the BEST hikes in the world on the south island, and a lot of cultural and fun things on the north island. You can also go to the field where they filmed the battle of Gondor in LotR

And remember... it was the kiwis that invented bungee jumping and the skyride between two mountain tops :D We're known for being slightly off our mentally stable state ;)

Mar
04-08-2006, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Mar

I just emailed her.

Just as I thought, she said to go to Australia instead.

andres_mt
04-08-2006, 12:34 PM
Hey man if you ever go to spain and chile be sure to post those pics. Family is from there :thumbsup:

canderson
04-08-2006, 11:23 PM
Hey im in Thailand right now actually. Just to warn you there is no surf at all man!!!! And make sure you hit up the Full moon parties on Ko Phe Neng... Im in Ko Phi Phi islands right now and its pretty rowdy.. Make sure you do it up!!!!

davidI
04-09-2006, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the info everyone! Keep it coming! Gives me a place to start researching from...

mac_82
04-11-2006, 10:21 PM
I found a pic in my travel photos that sums up my experience in New Zealand perfectly:

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f382/wrx82/nz.jpg

-a mountain
-farmers field full of sheep
-rugby pitch in the middle of the farmers field

:D

Vagabond142
04-14-2006, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by mac_82
I found a pic in my travel photos that sums up my experience in New Zealand perfectly:

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f382/wrx82/nz.jpg

-a mountain
-farmers field full of sheep
-rugby pitch in the middle of the farmers field

:D

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: