PDA

View Full Version : Laptop problem...!

shakalaka
04-02-2006, 05:39 PM
Ok I dont know whats going on, but lately my laptop is been acting shady. Like if it's been on for a while it suddenly starts making a noise. Like one long beep and it keeps going until you flip the laptop around. But when you put it down again that sound is back in couple of mins. It goes off if I put it in an elevated place sorta. I think it has something to do with the heating of the laptop cauz it stop when I make some ventilation room under the laptop. Another problem, if I don't touch the laptop for a while it goes to hibernate mode. But when I wake it up, I notice that speakers have stopped working. They don't work until I restart the computer. Third problem is that, I will be using the damn thing normally and it just shuts off. Just outta nowhere no signal no nothing, just bam...turned off. Nothing to do with battery since I have it plugged in most of the time. BTW the computer we talking about here is the Toshiba Satellite A70. Any help is appreciate...cheers guys.

HyperZell
04-02-2006, 06:04 PM
I think Toshiba had a recall on these laptops because of a problem with the motherboard overheating...there have been cases of the mobo actually melting under extreme duress - what model is it exactly? A70-xxx?

shakalaka
04-02-2006, 06:10 PM
Well as far as I can see on the bottom of the laptop all it says is Toshiba Satellite A70? Anywhere else I can look? Manuals and stuff are back home in Calgary so can't reffer to them or anything.

eblend
04-02-2006, 06:29 PM
toshiba a70 is sure a peice

anyways, there was no mobo recalls on these as far as I know (i work in a comp store in tech, so i see em all the time)

The problems that they do have that are commor is the upper assembly needed replacemnt as laptop would freeze up at random time due to static shock. A70s and most new laptops with very fine radiators (heatsinks) can easily get cloged up real bad. We see many many a70s that need cleaning as they auto shut down. ur issue sounds very strange indeed and unlike anything i heard of, it mightjust be that dead mobo. The only mobo problem i am aware of on the a70s is the ac adapter jack thats soldered on to the mobo comes loose and ur batter doesn't charge / laptop does not power

HyperZell
04-02-2006, 07:16 PM
http://www.notebookreview.com/price/default.asp?productID=9468&display=opinionDetail

These people aren't very happy about their A70's either. They want to get Toshiba to issue a recall.

I'll have to check to see whether or not there actually is an official recall; it doesn't look like it so far so you may be right.

Despair*
04-03-2006, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka
if I don't touch the laptop for a while it goes to hibernate mode. But when I wake it up, I notice that speakers have stopped working. They don't work until I restart the computer.

The issue with the sound not working after your laptop goes into standby or hibernate is another common flaw with the A70's thankfully mine is only work issued. It may be a problem with their driver, but unfortunately there hasn't been any released fix from Toshiba for it yet. Its hard to even know if they are even working on a fix for it. I have been able to bring my sound back on my A70 by putting it back into standby and bringing it back out of it again.