PDA

View Full Version : best shops for rust removal???

g20powa
04-02-2006, 10:15 PM
hey all

so i was just wondering if anyone has had rust removal done and where they had it done.... was it a good job??? has it come back at all???

I have some rust in teh corner of my rear door near the wheel well and top of the wheel well on the front... So i think i will just replace that fender.

ANYWAY... anyone reccomend any placeS? thanks.

Graham_A_M
04-02-2006, 11:11 PM
there are no so called "rust removal" studios.. unless there is a body shop that does that primarily. There is no way to remove rust outright.. unless the metal itself is cut away and replaced. You can basically stop rust from spreading: but for that you need some paint that you can get at Canadian tire... its called "Rust Destroyer" that actually changes the PH level of the metal so it can't continue rusting :thumbsup:

Otherwise you can use this jelly called "Naval Jelly" (also at C. Tire I think.. or just ask around) you just paint it on, and wait... then wipe it off.. if you do that consistently, it will remove any rust stains or actual rust, right off the metal (thus exposing the freshly cleaned bare metal). THEN you paint it.... you can do it yourself and save a boat load of cash, its no biggie.

:thumbsup:

Audio_Rookie
04-02-2006, 11:13 PM
grind the rust down and then paint over it.

Dont know any shops in calgary area.

g20powa
04-03-2006, 12:23 AM
ya i was heavily considering doing it myself... i just dont feel 100 percent confident with grinding it down... like i dont think i will be able to fill it perfectly after sanding it down. But i guess the job i do will be better than rust... and if its really that bad i can get it pro done.l

andres_mt
04-03-2006, 12:43 AM
i think to really get rid of all the rust you have to visually inspect every inch of your car and just deal with it asap using some methods like graham_a_m suggested. But i think part of making sure it doesn't return is to monitor it, eventually it won't be much of a problem depending on your case.

But truth is once you have rust, it's VERY difficult to cure it completley especially if you plan to drive in winter.