PDA

View Full Version : Need tuition/apprenticeship advice for SAIT.

Graham_A_M
04-02-2006, 10:55 PM
Hi guys, I'd like to get into autobody.. however the pre-employment course offered by SAIT carries a $8100 bill for tuition:eek:

Its staring in Sept. The registration is still open... but I was wondering if there are any companies that will sponser (me) to cover the course costs. My older brother is going through welding school this way... sponsered by an industrial tool manufacterer.

Are there any places hiring, that are willing to do these sponsership deals? or whats possible?

I'm sick of my workplace, so quitting [and switching over to a given bodyshop] is definately an option...

So I just wanted some opinions of whats the best thing to do.

Thanks guys.. any help is EXTREMELY appreciated :)

boopydogg
04-02-2006, 11:17 PM
im just getting out of the autobody industry so heres my 2 cents
the pre-employment course is good but it is better to find a job with in the industry and work for a year then just go to school .....much cheaper and some places will pay for school for you. and if you want to pm me i know a place that is hiring an apprentice

boopydogg
04-02-2006, 11:21 PM
oh yes also motive action is a goverment program that will give the pre-employment course to you for free if you are on e.i. so theres another option. Get fired and then milk the goverment for free training:thumbsup:

matt_calgary
04-02-2006, 11:35 PM
When I was doing electrical ( I know not exactly the same but the similar basis) I got a job just by sending out a billion resumes. Got the job and it was what it was. Then other guys who spent like 4000 on pre-employment, got to do the test before they did hours, and were given a list of companies looking for people. Its honestly the biggest waste of money ever. If this is a pre-employment program, don't waste your money, IMHO, its fuckin stupid waste of time and money you could ahve been making

BlackArcher101
04-02-2006, 11:37 PM
Look at it this way....

You are company A. Someone that never worked for you before wants you to pay for a portion or all of their tuition. They promise they will work for you, but you feel uneasy about him since he's never worked for you. You decide not to help him out.

You are company B. A dedicated person that has been working for you for over a year would like to enhance his career potential and take further schooling. He would like you to pay for a portion of his tuition. Based on his proven loyalty, you agree to help him out. A win-win situation.

Now, I'm not saying Company B is the only choice. If you go the Company A route, they will want some kind of guarentee you won't bail on them after you are done. Usually this will mean that you have to work for them for a set amount of time before you are allowed to quit without penalty (ie, you pay them tuition back).

Graham_A_M
04-03-2006, 10:48 PM
Thanks Guys, I'll check around to see who is hiring apprentices. $8100 seems quite steep :nut: but in the long term it's well worth it I'm guessing. But its still a LOT easier if someone there is a win-win situation between a given company and me, as most of you have suggested. Thanks a lot guys!
:)