PDA

View Full Version : Why Do You Like Imports?

CIVIC_MAN
04-03-2006, 02:24 PM
What made you chose an import car over a domestic such as a recent generation (camaro, mustang, firebird)? Obviously the pro of such cars is power, what advantages do imports have?

Im talking about performance.

(I dont care about reasons like gas mileage)

Pee_Sack
04-03-2006, 02:27 PM
Cuz there are no domestics that can offer me what I got outta my WRX

the closest was the SRT-4, and without starting a flame war with HeavyD, I wanted AWD.

TEAMFaint
04-03-2006, 02:33 PM
Reason I chose my import over an older domestic is the easy tunability and the styling. A 1992 Toyota Celica GTS was one of the more expensive cars of its time and was the cross of a sports/luxery car..looking at a 1992 Ford Mustang may give you power, but not near the luxery.

:thumbsup: to imports for easy tunability, cheap/efficient modifications, and styling of not only the body, but the interior.

DonJuan
04-03-2006, 02:39 PM
^^^ wah wah DSM, lol :D I chose import because of reliability... and because I like turning... and I didn't want to drive a trailer park ferrari... and I didn't want to grow a mullet... and in summation a DonJuan plate on a Firechicken just wan't gonna work. Don't get me wrong I still like domestics, Chevy all the way, I work on my bros S-10 ALL the time (lol). There just not my style.

CIVIC_MAN
04-03-2006, 02:50 PM
from a 96 Camaro gettin 275hp and 325 ft lbs NATURALLY ASPIRATED seems pretty appealing especially when it comes from something that looks like this...http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e33/civic_man/camaro.jpg

QuasarCav
04-03-2006, 02:51 PM
Interior build quality, this is a big one for me.

Gauge cluster layout

High-revving 4cyl

Looks

Reliability

Reasons I dont like:

Being grouped in with the ricers

B20EF
04-03-2006, 02:52 PM
Because they can make over 100hp per litre stock

b_t
04-03-2006, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by TEAMFaint

:thumbsup: to imports for easy tunability, cheap/efficient modifications, and styling of not only the body, but the interior.

I spent $800 on my old car and made 80 more horsepower and 110 more lb-ft of torque, all-motor. imports are not easily tunable, are not cheap and efficient to modify to any great amount of speed, but they look better. the interior? hit and miss. i hate any honda interior they've ever made, but love the one in my talon.

I just got one because I loved the look, and the gas mileage was better then it was with a 5.7 liter.

Originally posted by B20EF

who the fuck cares? the cars are all less then 2 liters :rolleyes:

CIVIC_MAN
04-03-2006, 02:55 PM

hahaha thats not a good reason by any means

Darkane
04-03-2006, 03:32 PM
I bought My T/A for the factory Handeling and the fact It came with a built motor. No FF besides obviously an ITR/CTR or the sort can really stand up to an F-body Chevy in the 80's 90's in terms of handeling. Mustangs didnt do very well in that department but were faster in a strait line. My '86 T/A came STOCK with 4 wheel disks, Sway bars, Stiff suspension and 16" with 245/50/16's. Although it is heavy and has some good blind spots. No secondary window. Just drivers side, passanger, windshield front and back.

I bought my Integra (pre-civic) for the fact it was peppy with good gearing (compaired to a 2.73 F body rear end lol) and good fuel economy. It handeled alright I guess.. One thing I hated about it was the rust. Hondas are brutal. My T/A is just starting now 20 years later haha. Paint is still in excellent shape.

Imports - To expensive to Mod.. Unless its a D-series Still though.

Domestics - CHEAP CHEAP hp.. Headers/Intake manifold/4BBL carb will do wonders on a early 80's choked up 350 pickup.

so in the end I got both lol:bigpimp:

95EagleAWD
04-03-2006, 03:42 PM

:rofl:

Because none of the domestics make a mid-engine RWD aluminium car.

Or, for my first car, no domestic made a turbo, AWD coupe.

So imports are where it's at for me. There isn't a new domestic out there that interests me.

A790
04-03-2006, 03:43 PM
Forced induction, period.

CIVIC_MAN
04-03-2006, 03:45 PM
supercharge a firebird or camaro. ur lookin at 450 hp and 500 tq easy

A790
04-03-2006, 03:47 PM
Yea, well, Supra/RX7/Silvia/WRX/Skyline etc. came forced induction. That's why I like em.

max_boost
04-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Because I just don't like domestics. :D

CrvenaZvezda
04-03-2006, 03:54 PM
I still like some domestics, but what isnt there to like about imports... I mean cheap, very reliable, very tunable, and the styling well the styling is in a league of its own... Like TEAMFaint said, the 1992 Celice GT-S was one of the greatest cars of its time, but I still think that the 1992 Celice GT-S is one of the most beautiful cars around. Most of the import cars even ones from 10 years ago are still better looking than some of the Domestics coming out, and then theres the interiors which are just amazing I think, I drive a 1996 Mazda MX3 and I absolutely love my interior, it has very nice styling and is very very comfortable for a car that is 10 years old, I mean ok it rattles like hell lol, but the car is lowered and I have a 12" Alpine Type R blowing up everything in the trunk...

My fav part tho, gotta be the modifing!!! :thumbsup:

heavyD
04-03-2006, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Pee_Sack
Cuz there are no domestics that can offer me what I got outta my WRX

the closest was the SRT-4, and without starting a flame war with HeavyD, I wanted AWD.

Ha. Ha. I wouldn't fault anyone for choosing a WRX over an SRT-4. The WRX is much more civilized for the majority of drivers out there. Plus AWD > RWD > FWD.:D

CIVIC_MAN
04-03-2006, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Because I just don't like domestics. :D

i dont like domestics either with the exception of new gen camaro's and firebirds.. but why would someone hate on those two nice cars

Pee_Sack
04-03-2006, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Ha. Ha. I wouldn't fault anyone for choosing a WRX over an SRT-4. The WRX is much more civilized for the majority of drivers out there. Plus AWD > RWD > FWD.:D

Everyday I ask myself why I paid so much more over a SRT-4, then I go out and have fun in the snow. :D:D:D

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-03-2006, 04:39 PM
I just like the look, not to mention I have more... flexibility in tuning, and it just gives more options... I also get more outta a four banger just because its stronger (more rev power)
Plus... gas mileage :thumbsup: bwahahaha

gpomp
04-03-2006, 04:41 PM
between a 2006 corvette and a 2006 civic, i would pick the vette 99 times out of 100... but of course, i can buy 3 civics for the price of one vette.

BerserkerCatSplat
04-03-2006, 04:42 PM
Honestly, it's pretty well gotten to the point that there is very little distinction between domestics and imports these days. Every car manufacturer sources parts from all over the place, and carmakers share ideas and work off of other companies ideas as well.

Some people "just don't like domestics," and I laugh at them for closing themselves off to an entire segment of the market like that. Others "just don't like imports," and I laugh at them for the very same reason. Both markets have their good cars and bad cars, their boring ones and lively ones. It just makes no sense to compare "all imports" to "all domestics" anymore.

JordanEG6
04-03-2006, 04:48 PM
-high revs

-versitility

-aftermarket support

-a built N/A high revving 4cyl. japanese motor, that makes more than 100hp/L at low MPG is beyond any built domestic 4cyl. imo

things i dont like:

- ricer imports
- most n/a imports are low in torque

CIVIC_MAN
04-03-2006, 05:18 PM
ya torque is horrible even a b16b, 185hp BUT 118tq or somethin compared to 325 from a chevy 350

Toms-SC
04-03-2006, 05:40 PM
Guess I got my domestic to be different? :confused:

Hakkola
04-03-2006, 05:50 PM
I think the problem people have with domestics is the stigma that comes with them. Look at brands like Lincoln and Buick, who have built for the most part, boring old person behemoth vehicles with little passion or modability. Kids don't want their parents buicks, Japanese and Euro cars don't have the same image problem.

I can't think of any Euro or Japanese brands that are reserved for old people, no overseas brands are really boring except for maybe Toyota, but they have a history of nice vehicles and the Lexus brand helps, also the corolla isn't that bad...

derek123
04-03-2006, 05:58 PM
the 'big' 3 haven't made a car worth owning since the early 70s.
looks-wise, imo

the way civics (for example) are done now, is the way mustangs, camaros, and novas were rodded in the past, and will be the reason in 10 years people will be doing Hyundai's.

take the poor man car and put some $$$ in it.

my 2.

HyperZell
04-03-2006, 06:17 PM
Domestic cars generally have awful interiors when compared to imports of the same class. Build quality and materials used, and even design and layout are disappointing and totally overshadowed. Of course, I said 'generally', and this applies to imports as well...not all of them have nice interiors. But take a Mazda 3, for example...fantastic interior that I've not seen reflected in a domestic. Cobalt = fail. Focus = get out. Sunfire = expelled. And the list goes on...

I know that this doesn't apply to performance, but looking at just performance is like just checking out a girl's legs, and ignoring the rest of her...silly.

Xtrema
04-03-2006, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by HyperZell
I know that this doesn't apply to performance, but looking at just performance is like just checking out a girl's legs, and ignoring the rest of her...silly.

Interior counts a lot when I pick my car. I have yet seen one domestic interior that I like (except Solstice/Sky).

GM's Fisher Price interior til 2003 was horrid. Those big round rubbery buttons are laughable.

Chrysler has stylish interior but shitty material.

Ford is probably the better of the domestic comes to interior. But my Ford experience only limite to a 88 Taurus and 2000 Focus.

Hyundai/Nissan isn't doing that well in the regard either.

Toyota/Honda/VW are the king of interiors. Mazda look nice but there is still quite a bit of cheapness to it. Espeically the 6.

Really, a lot of so call imports are design/built by NA engineers for this market anyway (Camry, Accord, Altima are all NA bred and raised). So the line isn't as clear as before.

Will I drive a domestic? My very limited list would include Corvette, Solstice and Sky. But if they continue to improve other lines, I could see myself in one in 5-10 years.

mr.loco
04-03-2006, 06:40 PM
domestics rule 8 cyl cars . imports rule 4 cyl cars

i like imports cuz thre more pimpable:dunno:

euro_racer
04-03-2006, 06:42 PM
ive owned both and im going to stick to imports mainly because of the interior quality, driving quality (cornering), and styling in general...

never really liked the performance of the big engine domestics mainly because i see 4cyl "rice cookers" beat the big gas eating v8's all the time. or my old civic si (1.6l sohc) beating a 6 cyl camaro more than 4 times in a row were a import v6 or inline 6 will destroy most domestice with little or no tuning.

A2VR6
04-03-2006, 06:52 PM
Domestic cars generally have awful interiors when compared to imports of the same class. Build quality and materials used, and even design and layout are disappointing and totally overshadowed. Of course, I said 'generally', and this applies to imports as well...not all of them have nice interiors. But take a Mazda 3, for example...fantastic interior that I've not seen reflected in a domestic. Cobalt = fail. Focus = get out. Sunfire = expelled. And the list goes on...

Hmm... actually I kinda like the Cobalts interior... A HELL of alot better than what they had in the older J-bodies. The materials are much better than before. I think GM has really made some huge steps forward with interiors lately, up to par with the best? no, but improving!

FiveFreshFish
04-03-2006, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by b_t

Not this one...

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/01images/01bmw_m_eng.jpg

BerserkerCatSplat
04-03-2006, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Not this one...

And, still, nobody with the slightest bit of common sense cares about HP/L.

civic_stylez
04-03-2006, 07:27 PM
not that domestics cant handle well but i bought my import to rip through the corners.. straight line speed is cool and all but i love ripping through a tight corner at 110k+.. it makes me feel like im michael schumacher even though ill never even be close!:D also having an import helps pick up the jailbait easier!:bigpimp:

gp36912
04-03-2006, 07:38 PM
^^^ hahaha the jailbait :P

carter_prelude
04-03-2006, 07:51 PM
i like both personally...i almost bought an older Monte Carlo before i looked at my 240sx...and fell in love with the interior. It's an 89 and its nicer than my friends 97 sunfire by far. It's laid back so your almost laying down, almost like a Lambo, but not as great. lol. The only thing i hate is ricers with fart cans and that weed wacker sound...NOTHING beats american muscle...but a tuned supra, WRX or 350z comes DAMN close...my dream car right now would have to be the Darius 240z...import car with the american muscle motor. Best of both worlds.

iceburns288
04-03-2006, 07:52 PM
The thing about the interiors on my GMs... sure, they may not have the highest initial quality (except the GTO, that has a sick interior!) but they sure do hold up! My SUV's interior has been put through all kinds of stuff and it's just fine. I love that truck, it feels like it's invincible. Not something I can say about my aunt's Honda SUV:dunno:

shawtie
04-03-2006, 07:54 PM
I like the old muscle cars, there are a couple imports I like too, but dont know what kind they are except supras....mmm ya like those!!!!:thumbsup:

msommers
04-03-2006, 08:12 PM
imports are generally more reliable vehicles. Plus, a lot of styling was ahead of any NA design. Interior isn't such a flat, box feel either

GC84ever
04-03-2006, 08:39 PM
I'm in love with imports. Either Japanese or European. I find those cars have alot more character in their designs.
The only real domestic I like are the Corvette and the Ford GT.
I just love the sound of a screaming italian engine, or the rumble of a boxer engine, or the sound of a turbo.
i also love the sexy lines of the italian, or the aggressive line or a Japanese rocket.

I respect the old muscle cars power, but I find that alot of them look similar to each other. and i like to be able to turn at high speed, becuase you can't always drive in a straight line.

kane584
04-03-2006, 09:08 PM
domestic cars are crap, their ugly and have stupid names like chevrolet and pontiac,
toyota is a funny name too if u think about it, but atleast they got the supra

:rolleyes:

AllGoNoShow
04-03-2006, 09:30 PM
Mullet's?

hah, I drove, and am looking for another, old American "old-man" Buick regal, once a family cruiser not a muscle car if I make it that way. I don't even come CLOSE to having a mullet or looking like trailer park trash (ask anyone who knows me) and its not a simple, buy car, drive like its fast, pretend its a ferrari. Its a buy car, mode it to tell, stilll a old man buick, just a fast one with mroe balls then the old man had who owned it before me.

Imports over Domestic? Well the only Imports I like driving right now are my Dads 06 TL, luxury, sporty, comfy, featureful, but still FWD, and my old 7, luxury, comfy, featureeful, fun to work on to an extent, RWD FTW, classy.

I'm nto one of them NO IMPORTS EVER but I am one of them, no cheap Imports that everyone says is reliable but yet are still replacing many many parts on them, no matter how good the fuel effciency is, if it doesn't satisfy me then I don't want to drive it.

luv2xler8
04-03-2006, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
I think the problem people have with domestics is the stigma that comes with them. Look at brands like Lincoln and Buick, who have built for the most part, boring old person behemoth vehicles with little passion or modability. Kids don't want their parents buicks, Japanese and Euro cars don't have the same image problem.

hey come on now buick makes good cars as i got one handed down to me whats to hate about leather seats sun roof dual exhaust and a 351 for those red lights
i like my import because of the high revs and the fact that it looks so sporty

frozenrice
04-03-2006, 09:47 PM
Imports:

- Because of their continuous innovation/development.

- There is little-to-no cross platform sharing and if there is, it least the vehicle looks totally different (eg. early 90's Civic and Integra).

- Totally new improved models every 4-5 years.

- Overall feel of fit and finish.

- Lower depreciation.

- Overall better designs.

finboy
04-03-2006, 10:04 PM
import, domestic, a car is a car, and its potential is only limited by your wallet and imagination. drive what you want and keep an open mind, pretty much any car can be made into good performance machine. saying things like "i refuse to look at anything (domestic, import, etc.)" limits your knowlege base, making you less of an automotive enthusiast and more of a chump with a narrow mind:thumbsup:

CIVIC_MAN
04-03-2006, 10:13 PM
I do agree though, that import interiors are better than a considerable amount of domestic interiors. import i was meaning more japanese cars than an M3 or M5.

-so imports have advantages:

- lots of aftermarket support
- easy to work on
- high quality interiors
- constant innovation
- Appealing styling
just to start..

AllGoNoShow
04-03-2006, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by luv2xler8

hey come on now buick makes good cars as i got one handed down to me whats to hate about leather seats sun roof dual exhaust and a 351 for those red lights
i like my import because of the high revs and the fact that it looks so sporty

Buick = GM
Ford = Ford

350 = GM/Chevy
351 = Ford

BerserkerCatSplat
04-03-2006, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow

Buick = GM
Ford = Ford

350 = GM/Chevy
351 = Ford

Bah, maybe he's got 1 cubic inch of wear on his cylinder walls. ;)

shawtie
04-03-2006, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by kane584
domestic cars are crap, their ugly and have stupid names like chevrolet and pontiac,
toyota is a funny name too if u think about it, but atleast they got the supra

:rolleyes:

:thumbsdow :guns:

CIVIC_MAN
04-03-2006, 10:38 PM
we're not talkin about cavaliers, were talking about performance imports and performance domestics. i wouldnt say any reliability is sacrificed when purchasing a domestic

Rockski
04-03-2006, 10:45 PM
im a fan of domestics cause i was raised around them and have nothing but respect for bowties, dont get me wrong i do like the occasional import, just not many. the body styling doesnt tweak my fancy from the car generation i like (importwise) ALTHOUGH i do have a bit of an affinity for nissans

gp36912
04-03-2006, 10:49 PM
i love the imports, but i would look at domestics also. atm nothing much interests me in the domestic market minus the z06, viper, and the navigator. though i wouldn't mind a jeep either. as long as it looks good, feels comfortable, or goes like hell i would take a look at it.

EK 2.0
04-03-2006, 10:51 PM
I like imports because its a smoother taste. I mean the beer, huh what??...we are talking about cars??...

oh well then...I like imports because I have never had any expirience with domestics. Always driven imports because they appealed to me more when making initial purchases. I mean for year to year the imports in my price ranges at the time had more technology, better handling, nicer looks (subjective I know), and more reliability...

Toms-SC
04-03-2006, 11:40 PM
This handling thing is still going eh? urg...

HyperZell
04-03-2006, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by A2VR6

Hmm... actually I kinda like the Cobalts interior... A HELL of alot better than what they had in the older J-bodies. The materials are much better than before. I think GM has really made some huge steps forward with interiors lately, up to par with the best? no, but improving!

That's like saying you thought your arm was broken in 6 places, but finding out that it's only broken in 4. It's better, but ouch...

But I'm a little biased because of my Mazda 3's interior ^^;;

And what even comes close to your Type S' interior?

A major problem with domestics now is the image they have. They are mostly focused on being 'manly', 'rugged' vehicles that focus on power - but the number of cowboys are decreasing compared to the number of city slickers. The late 90's were not kind to domestics, as reliability and increased competition from imports took their toll - in the general public mind, imports are more reliable. Sure, domestics are improving, but it's not like imports are at a standstill. And how long before they catch up? It's this mindset that hampers current domestic models...sisn of the father, I guess.

A2VR6
04-04-2006, 12:17 AM

And what even comes close to your Type S' interior?

Actually I really dont think the Type S interior is that nice... Frankly i think it might be a little in the cheap department... lots of cars out there surpass it. I guess im spoiled with VW/Audi interiors :dunno:

Tha VZA
04-04-2006, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by b_t

mine isn't :thumbsup:

Originally posted by Hakkola
I can't think of any Euro or Japanese brands that are reserved for old people

dude...jaguar EDIT: should that count as a euro??

imo anyway

euro's ftw!!!!! i love bigger cars...car's i can fit in comfortably, while having space for a stereo system, hockey bag, spare tire, book bag, and a honey....:bigpimp:

ciao

AllGoNoShow
04-04-2006, 12:28 AM
Jag = Ford

HyperZell
04-04-2006, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by A2VR6

Actually I really dont think the Type S interior is that nice... Frankly i think it might be a little in the cheap department... lots of cars out there surpass it. I guess im spoiled with VW/Audi interiors :dunno:

Get to sleep earlier.

Also, even if you think it's not that nice it's still better than most domestics, proving my point. And yeah, I like the Passat's interior too, because it's actually warm in there :D

CIVIC_MAN
04-04-2006, 05:16 PM
now that Ford and Mazda are under the same ownership im starting to not even think of mazda cars as imports.