PDA

View Full Version : Movie Studios Selling Downloadable Movies

treg50
04-04-2006, 10:53 AM
[April 04, 2006]

Movie studios are now selling downloadable films
(Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (KRT) Via Thomson Dialog NewsEdge) Apr. 4--For the first time, Hollywood movie studios are selling downloadable films that consumers can keep on their computers and watch anytime.

... Starting yesterday, six studios -- MGM, Paramount, Sony, Fox, Universal and Warner Bros. -- began selling films via Movielink on the same day their DVDs were available at retail hubs. Today, it will offer downloads of "Brokeback Mountain," the same day its DVD is released.

About 300 movies -- including new releases and older films, such as "The Big Lebowski" and "To Kill a Mockingbird" -- are available for roughly $20 to $30. ...

Click here for full article (http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2006/04/04/1536975.htm)

-------------------

It doesn't seem like a big deal to me. I don't even find it appealling.

What's the point if the price is still the same than a retail version where you can get a cool looking DVD package?

I've heard this downloadable version isn't even burnable to disc to watch on your home system. You can only keep it and watch it on your computer --- that's crap. My TV, like probably most people's, provides a bigger picture than my computer.

RickDaTuner
04-04-2006, 11:08 AM
yup I agree its lame.. 6 hour downloads.. when you can go to the store and back in 20 min to get a DVD for less money and more Convinience... this is just another horrible Idea... and since when were DVD's a pain in the but to carry arround?

you'll be carrying the laptop arround anyway... whats a few more disks..

the only people that will see anysort of conviniece out of this are those who have thier Pc's beside thier tv and have a TV out Video card, along side with a compatible sound card...

the sad thing about all of this is... people will buy it:thumbsdow

GQBalla
04-04-2006, 03:15 PM
....another money makin scheme, ill stick to china town and buy all the movies i want for like 5 bucks each

pyro
04-04-2006, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
....another money makin scheme, ill stick to china town and buy all the movies i want for like 5 bucks each

hmmm 5 bucks eh, wheres this place??? :eek:

Khyron
04-04-2006, 04:58 PM
Shit, we can dl most movies for free, and I still buy a lot because I hate the hassle of downloading, burning, printing covers, getting inferior audio, etc. And that's when they are freaking free. Let alone for the cost of an actual DVD. And yah, it's got to be in WMV so it can call home to verify your licence. Again, gay when anyone can rip a dvd.

Khyron