PDA

View Full Version : Road test pointers

adidas
04-04-2006, 01:29 PM
Hey guys....

Im going out to do my road test this week and was looking at getting some pointers.

Any tips that you would have would be great.

Thanks.

WWJAI
04-04-2006, 01:33 PM
Practice on your parents car driving around

mainly parallel parking and doing shoulder checks and make sure you do a full stop at all stop signs.:burnout:

3G
04-04-2006, 01:52 PM
That shit is fukn easy, go do it at the place on 44th street and 8th ave se by forest lawn

adidas
04-04-2006, 01:58 PM
Im very familiar with driving...i have driven before but just have never went out to get my lisence since there was no need for it considering i lived in downtown.

Now that i have moved, i need to get it.

As for pointers im lookin what they are most strict about!

Do i have to go around the car and inspect that every light is in working order before i drive off?!

GrantC
04-04-2006, 02:07 PM
No, you don't have to do a walk around to inspect the car, but they might. Make sure all lights are in working order, and that you have more than a 1/4 tank of gas. Have the registration/insurance available too.

Biggest things to avoid (ie. instant fail if you do):

-failure to stop @ red, or stop-sign
-failure to yield for pedestrian
-not leaving enough space when turning left or merging.

Other than that, just don't speed and make sure to drive carefully. :zzz: You'll do fine, just think of how many *Mucking Forons* there are on the road who have managed to pass. :eek:

adidas
04-04-2006, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by GrantC
No, you don't have to do a walk around to inspect the car, but they might. Make sure all lights are in working order, and that you have more than a 1/4 tank of gas. Have the registration/insurance available too.

Biggest things to avoid (ie. instant fail if you do):

-failure to stop @ red, or stop-sign
-failure to yield for pedestrian
-not leaving enough space when turning left or merging.

Other than that, just don't speed and make sure to drive carefully. :zzz: You'll do fine, just think of how many *Mucking Forons* there are on the road who have managed to pass. :eek:

Thanks GrantC for your response.

About your last comment, i would have to agree!

nonsane
04-05-2006, 11:46 AM
Watch for uncontrolled intersections
ideally they should take you through a 3 way uncontrolled and a 4 way uncontrolled. so check every intersection for control signs.

Goblin
04-05-2006, 07:28 PM
Here were my two mistakes, however, one I completely disagree with. (Get to that later)

1) Always stop after leaving a parking lot.

As seen here:

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/5024/stopparkinglot5gr.jpg

2) When a crosswalk is across the road, there is another line. You have to stop at that line, not the crosswalk line.

As seen here.

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/8263/stopcrosswalk3hu.jpg

Now, #2 the lady thought I stopped at the crosswalk line, but I know I stopped at the correct line. Obviously didn't know how the car was length wise :rolleyes:

Oh, and excuse the quick paint drawings hah :bigpimp:

Mar
04-05-2006, 08:46 PM
Well I guess it's easiest to tell why we failed so you can learn from our mistakes.

1. The lane is wider than your car, don't wander back and forth in it. Look further ahead and you'll end up going in a more straight, consistent line.

2. Make sure the tires fully stop rotating for a second or so at every stop sign.

3. Don't pull onto a street when another car is coming and they're even remotely close to you. This is called assuming the right away and is a 50 point deduction.

4. Don't pull out into an intersection on a green light with heavy traffic. You'll end up running a yellow or red when the traffic stops because you can't back up. This one annoys the hell out of me, just stay at the line and wait your turn.

5. If you're turning onto a street, always turn into the nearest lane and then do a lane change if required.

6. If you're on a one way street turning left, you need to be at the far left, not on the right like a normal 2 way street.

7. Blinking red light = full stop, check, go

8. Blinking yellow light = slow down, check, go

Am I getting too basic?

Nova316
04-05-2006, 08:51 PM
Right shoulder check before taking a right turn that dinged me on some marks
and make sure you give whoever is right of you the right of way on an unmarked intersection since most test
give u lots of those

kane584
04-05-2006, 09:03 PM
ABSOLTLEY MAKE SURE YOU DONT GO PASSED 30 ON SCHOOL ZONES DURING SCGOOL HOURS, I THINK IT ENDS @ 4 or 5 o clock. also, mak sure u are able to do parralel

Mar
04-05-2006, 10:23 PM
If 2 vehicles arrive at a stop sign at the same time, the vehicle to the right goes first. Otherwise it's in order, no matter who's turning which way.

topmade
04-05-2006, 10:39 PM
It's been a long time but I think these are big no no's

1) make sure you know how to parrallel park
2) don't cross your lane in a dual turn
3) don't speed in a school or play ground zone

Most of these simple rules are in the book you can get from AMA just read up on them and make sure you are familiar with them, and if you took driving lessons, your instructor should tell you what you should be expecting.

When my sister-in-law took her test I saw the results she got deducted for cruising into the other lane, not able to keep the car straight and something else, but anyways she PASSED WTF, and she still can't drive worth a damn. If your half decent I think you'll be okay, I can't believe how some people get their licenses these days.

And when I took my test I got deducted for going too slow haha, but still passed

barbarian
04-05-2006, 10:59 PM
Red light = full stop, even if turning right

nonsane
04-06-2006, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Mar
4. Don't pull out into an intersection on a green light with heavy traffic. You'll end up running a yellow or red when the traffic stops because you can't back up. This one annoys the hell out of me, just stay at the line and wait your turn.

Do you mean if you are turning left at an intersection?

Because the rule is if the light is green you can enter the intersection.

People in the intersection already have the right of way. It is completely legal to finish the left turn after the cars going the opposite way have stopped even if the light is yellow/red(you'll notice that the red light camera does not go off in this situation). Backing up in an intersection is illegal so don't do that either.

Zero102
04-06-2006, 08:41 AM
I think he means when turning left if there is already another car in the intersection?....
I hate it when there are 3 or 4 people in the intersection trying to turn left, their light turns red, my light turns green and I still have to wait for 2 or 3 of them to clear the intersection.

If you're the only one, you should pull out, this guarantees that even in heavy traffic you get at least 1 left turning vehicle through on each light.

As for pointers, just chill out.
I've taught a few people to drive, and people who are really scared and are behind the wheel freak me out more than people who are too relaxed (which is also a bad thing).
When you go in there, understand that this test is not a big deal. If you fail you can take it again, and it's not that expensive. Take a few deep breaths, and just be cool about it. If you're having a bad day, take the test another day.

Oh yeah, and when everybody says don't speed, they don't mean to go 30 in a 50 zone.
I let it drop as low as 43-44kph a few times on main roads and got criticized for it. If the road is open, visibility is good, go 48-49kph.
On small residential roads with lots of parked cars and stuff there's nothing wrong with going 35-40.

ianmcc
04-06-2006, 10:07 AM
1. Stopping parallel to the stop signs, not sticking your nose out into traffic.
2. No braking any traffic laws-ie. speeding, failing to obey a traffic control device (sign, flashing light, etc.)=automatic fail.
3. Yield is just that, yield to oncoming traffic, pedestrians, etc. Do not stop at a yield if there is nothing to yield to.
4. Turn wheels into the curb if they ask you to park on an incline. Think about which way the car would roll if the park brake failed. It should roll intio the curb.
5. Set park brake when parking.
6. Be sure you know the car and all the controls. My wife failed her first attempt when the windows started to fog up and she didn't know how to defrost them.
7. Offer a bribe if you fail. J/K!

arian_ma
04-06-2006, 10:10 AM
If you want to pass, just go to Forest Lawn
Like i've said before, the guy didn't make me parallel park.

Rockski
04-06-2006, 10:27 AM
shoulder check shoulder check shoulder check, big thing right there, keep an eye on your mirrors

DONT PANIC, even if you get into a bit of a spot, and the biggest thing is keep relaxed.. thats about all i got for ya man

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-06-2006, 10:45 AM
Stay calm...
Shoulder check
I got dinged for stopping at stop signs with my nose lined up with the sign. Said I was too far back... There is usually a line on the road... And the sign is sometimes a little far back... If there is no line and the sign is far back, try to line it up with your shoulder instead of the nose.
You can always give the parallel a retry... I took a second try, they might ding you like 10 demerits, but you have a total of 75 anyways. Better to get it right on the second try rather than not get it right at all.
Try to stay with the speed limit, 5 under is acceptable, anything over is not!

shawtie
04-06-2006, 10:57 AM
It been luck for me haha

failed my learners 5 times , the only reason i passed the last time was cause some guy gave me the answer LOL failed the eye test right after you do that test, but he passed me anyway.

whet to driving school, failed the written test but the teacher dude changed a couple of my wrong answers for me.

my driving test i couldnt even parallel park and i went to slow the whole time but i passed it was only like a 15 minut test though if that just around the block and me trying to parallel park 3 frikkin different times haha

probably why alot of people have there drivers that shouldnt cause depending where you go people dont care to much..

Rockski
04-06-2006, 10:59 AM
yea you shouldt be on the road, no offence, even i failed my learners more then you, but i passed everything else. IMO learners is the equivelent of having a bag of dogshit in your wallet that says you can drive.

shawtie
04-06-2006, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Rockski
yea you shouldt be on the road, no offence

lol no offence taken......its probably very true

Kobe
04-06-2006, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Cheeky

lol no offence taken......its probably very true
Thats brutal man

Got my leaners first try when I was 14
Licence first try when I turned 16
Bike Learners second try when I was 16
Bike licence first try when I was 16

The sad thing is, I found the bike licence test about 50000000 times easier then the car licence...

Now to get off GLD.. I'm scared to take the test, made a few bad habbits...

Anyways When you do pass, don't get into any bad habits, keep both hands on the wheel, don't speed..

You get 3 trys 2 parrall park unless you hit the curb, then its an automatic failure...

When you do go into the car tho, adjust your mirrors a bit, even if they are adjusted....

shawtie
04-06-2006, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Kobe

You get 3 trys 2 parrall park unless you hit the curb, then its an automatic failure...

When you do go into the car tho, adjust your mirrors a bit, even if they are adjusted....

not only did i hit the curb, I drove right up on it!

it all depends who you get !!

Ya im not looking forward to taking the next test....to get off GDL im so going to fail lol I KNOW IT!!!

mdeleon
04-06-2006, 12:22 PM
when i took my test, i got points taken off when i was doing the speed limit and it was raining out, so if it's raining or if the roads are wet, i suggest going 5kms below the posted speed limit.

after you parallel park/hill park, don't forget to signal when you're going to enter back into traffic. and make it noticable when you're checking your mirrors, and don't just glance. give a second before you go onto the next one...signal, wait a sec, check rear view mirror for a sec, check your side view for a sec, shoulder check, then switch lanes. once your in the lane then turn off your signal. don't turn off your signal when you're still lane changing or just let it blink once and such. and ye if the road is wide enough to fit two cars side by side, pick a side, and if you're going to switch sides, signal, even though there are no markers on the road. don't follow to close or even stop too close to a car in front of you.

oh and a tip when you're about to pass an intersection with traffic lights, if you're worried the light is about to turn yellow, and don't want to run it, if there are cross walk lights, look at those. if it's still in the "walk" position, then you're good, if it's blinking "stop" you might be ok depending on your distance from the light. when it's solid "stop" prepare yourself by takin your foot off the gas and have it ready to press the break, if you are still able to go, then continue pressing the break.

Nav13
04-06-2006, 01:43 PM
It been luck for me haha

failed my learners 5 times , the only reason i passed the last time was cause some guy gave me the answer LOL failed the eye test right after you do that test, but he passed me anyway.

whet to driving school, failed the written test but the teacher dude changed a couple of my wrong answers for me.

my driving test i couldnt even parallel park and i went to slow the whole time but i passed it was only like a 15 minut test though if that just around the block and me trying to parallel park 3 frikkin different times haha

probably why alot of people have there drivers that shouldnt cause depending where you go people dont care to much..

Did you go to delta driving school? Either way its a good thing that shit hole shut down. I am ashamed that I went there for driving school, and I am not angry because they failed me or anything I passed with flying colors, its just that I saw them pass way to many people who clearly should not have.

shawtie
04-06-2006, 03:28 PM
No, that wasnt it......cant remeber the name of it but its just off 32nd ave n.e.

I remeber one day when I went for my lesson, the instructor guy made me stop in at Harveys so he could eat......half an hour later got back on the road to finish my 1 hour lesson..

Nav13
04-06-2006, 05:39 PM
^^^ haha dude my instructor asked me to pull over to the side of the road infront of some car. He gets out goes to the other car gets in (was his buddies or something) and smoked a joint with whoever was in the car. I was laughing my ass off, but yea again good thing that place closed down. Sorry for the :hijack:

shawtie
04-06-2006, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Nav13
^^^ haha dude my instructor asked me to pull over to the side of the road infront of some car. He gets out goes to the other car gets in (was his buddies or something) and smoked a joint with whoever was in the car. I was laughing my ass off, but yea again good thing that place closed down. Sorry for the :hijack:

LOL its dudette thank you haha

ya sorry for hijacking your thread
cant give ya any pointer as I never should have past in the first place haha

adidas
04-06-2006, 06:19 PM
Thanks to everyone who responded. I greatly appriciate it.

I did my test around 2 oclock and i passed. Some pointers that you guys have mentioned helped me out during the test. Hopefully every new learner(driver) reads this thread as there is some really useful stuff.

Thank you once again.

shawtie
04-06-2006, 06:20 PM
thats awsome, congrats!!:thumbsup:

DC2
04-06-2006, 06:22 PM
dont forget about uncontrolled intersections

GrantC
04-06-2006, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by adidas
I did my test around 2 oclock and i passed. [/B]

Congrats! :clap:

But you didn't say you aced it... ;) Sow what'd you do wrong? :rofl:

Ya know, just to help out future readers. :D

Nav13
04-06-2006, 08:19 PM

LOL its dudette thank you haha

ya sorry for hijacking your thread
cant give ya any pointer as I never should have past in the first place haha

oh woops sorry about that.

Goblin
04-06-2006, 08:38 PM
^ waits for the e-mack to come :rolleyes:

MODS Should sticky this!

KOBE What was invloved in the bike learners? I pm'd you too.

adidas
04-06-2006, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by GrantC

Congrats! :clap:

But you didn't say you aced it... ;) Sow what'd you do wrong? :rofl:

Ya know, just to help out future readers. :D

ahahahahha i like the way u put that grant. :D

I basically waited till the last second to brake....lol

I went 31 in a school zone ahahaha....i shouldnt laugh! :(

I also didnt put the foot/hand break on when i was doing the uphill parking.

Thats about it.

Nav13
04-07-2006, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Goblin
^ waits for the e-mack to come :rolleyes:

MODS Should sticky this!

KOBE What was invloved in the bike learners? I pm'd you too.

are you saying your waiting for me to e-mack, or waiting for EK2.0?

shawtie
04-07-2006, 06:36 PM
E-macking on beyond does exist!! lol