PDA

View Full Version : if your needing welding info

jetpiolot
04-04-2006, 02:22 PM
ask me for any questions, i work in a dist. for 12 yrs. now

Newk
04-04-2006, 02:56 PM
I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish with this thread "piolot". But out of curiosity, what distributor do your work for?

jetpiolot
04-05-2006, 05:53 AM
Holston Gases

ninspeed
04-05-2006, 10:03 PM
do you deliver to calgary.... alberta? i need some metal match (argon/co2)

Sharpie
04-05-2006, 10:21 PM
whats a good cheap welder to start out with?

Rockski
04-05-2006, 11:25 PM
you dont wanna cheap out on a welder, to go auklands grainer, best place to spend a couple hours drooling over shit if your in the trade... but id say start out with a good miller that you can switch stick and tig between

dub_c
04-06-2006, 09:51 AM
How long does it take to become a welder threw school ?

Rockski
04-06-2006, 09:59 AM
no idea, but its not the best way, because you dont get near as much experiance as you do just going through your apprenticship

if you do apprenticeship, you take 2 months of school for every year that your doing, and you CAN take school back to back to back, but then your still not learning as much as you should be

lets say i only had 1400 hours, now thats not even enough for my first year let alone my second, BUT i can take my first year of school , second year right after, then hit the field for a bit, and once i get enough hours for my first year, i bet second year wage, then, as soon as i make enough hours it kicks up to third year, then i can take school again when i make the hours or if i feel like doing school for another 2 months before i have the working hours.

the biggest thing is GET YOUR B PRESSURE, the world is your oyster with your B pressure, then you can do pressurized pipes and what not, and even after you have your B pressure, get your CWB, its more for scructural work. then if you want, specilize in certain metals and alloys. right off the hop almost the only metal you'll be welding is carbon steel (varies from shop to shop, right now as a first year i get to play with carbon steel, chrome and every once in a while stainless). inconel is a good one to have for getting special jobs, but be ready to wear your respirator all day long (should be doing that anyways).

no matter how you look at it, your gonna have to go through school, it all depends on whether you wanna be at the top of the class (experianced field/shop worker) or bottom (straight to school)

jetpiolot
04-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by ninspeed
do you deliver to calgary.... alberta? i need some metal match (argon/co2) ............. no , sorry, we are in East TN , and Southern KY , and Northern AL .

jetpiolot
04-06-2006, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Sharpie
whats a good cheap welder to start out with? ........ well, LINCOLN ac/dc 2225 stick 450.00 , same for MILLER ac/dc stick , and if you want to go with mig welding, hobart and lincoln offer an economically priced wire welder, but , those are farm and hobby types, with out the "infinate control" , which you need to fine tune in your voltage, that would be the millermatic 135, or 175 models, or the Lincoln sp135, or sp175 plus models. these are great on thin metal, for thick you need more amps , see an authorized distributor, for miller, or lincoln, the miller has a better feel to the handle, and a heavier duty drive roll system, the lincoln is plastic, and cheasier, like the hobart. , you need to get colored catalogs, or go in person, and see them , and ask questions, ESAB offers some import 250 amp range machines also, with a lower duty cycle, lincoln gets better on thier machines in the 250 amp range, the smaller ones, we dont even sytock, like i said,, look at the two side by side, and for the price lincoln charges us, i will not order the small lincoln migs, so you looking at 500.00 to as expensive as you wanna go , dont buy generic, if it 199.00, or 245.00 , its cheap, you get what you pay for, do your homework, and ask alot of questions, to find the machine to match your budget and the application.

Rockski
04-06-2006, 03:55 PM
know where i can get a mini plasma cutter setup?

jetpiolot
04-07-2006, 06:02 AM
i sell all major brands, and all have several models, starting with sheet metal and, working your way up to the industrial models, dont go with a cheap , low end car parts store brand, hypertherm, miller, esab, lincoln , and thermal dynamics, are the top brands, anything else , is low end, all backed by good warranty, and any major gas supplier, or real welding supply, is prolly gonna carry the consumables, and if one is not near, UPS delivers, for a few dollars, again, do your homework, before any purchase to get what you need for the application, and any forthcomming.

Rockski
04-07-2006, 07:35 AM
oh yea, i odnt plan on getting any thing other then miller, i meed something that'll cut through about an inch but i need it small, imma need a diesel welder that i can switch ac to dc, an argon bottle, an oven, and mayby even a little mig machine with a wire feed, and a generator, diesel fuel.

Newk
04-07-2006, 09:58 AM
Do not buy a miller plasma cutter, stick with Hypertherm, Esab, or Thermal Dynamics. In that order.

jetpiolot
04-07-2006, 01:09 PM
i would spend my money on the hypertherm, but the miller gun is made by hypertherm, and they never put the other down, in any comparison charts, imagine that, lol , id also do a trailblazer, generator welder, and run a suitcase feeder off it, and you can get a spool gun to mig aluminum also, that would cover all you would need to do, but its price isnt cheap, but you can generate and weld at the same time, plenty of both. you have lots of options here, so check it all out, miller or lincoln will send you info , or catalogs on this, or check thier site, i sell all brands, we are the liscenced dealer in this area, but some brands i dont push , quality is what i sell, unless a person wants cheap.