PDA

View Full Version : converting headlights to HID

england4957
04-04-2006, 03:28 PM
hey everyone i would like to convert my stock sealed beam headlights on my 92 celica to clear lens ones with the H4 bulbs. I have found both the non-sealed beam clear lens headlights aswell as the H4 bulbs which appear to have the three prongs in the back which my stock lights also have. But ive been hearing people talk about HID conversion kits and i want to know if i need one or not because they are 200 ish bucks on ebay so could someone please explain why i would or why i wouldnt need this conversion kit? Thanks

GTS Jeff
04-04-2006, 04:55 PM
I've been researching into this exact thing for my car for a looooong time. The conclusion I've come to is that it is absolutely impossible to do it "right." There is no way to get a proper beam pattern when using halogen optics on a HID light source. In every instance where someone has tried doing this, the result has always been worse lighting performance. I'm talking about actual photometric tests, not subjective comments from Joe Blow...as a result, I've decided to settle for relayed 80/100w clear glass bulbs which is just as bright as most aftermarket HID kits anyway.

But still if INSIST on having HID, even though it'll never work properly on sealed beam H4 conversions, then get the Hella e-code conversion. This kit will minimize glare to oncoming traffic, though the beam pattern will still be crappy.

FiveFreshFish
04-04-2006, 06:25 PM
^^^ I agree with everything Jeff posted, except that I describe the E-code beam as adequate. Crappy is what I reserve for sealed beams that give you two dim blotches on the road.

Pic of relayed Hella E-code low beams using 90/130 bulbs (90W on low).

GTS Jeff
04-04-2006, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
^^^ I agree with everything Jeff posted, except that I describe the E-code beam as adequate. Crappy is what I reserve for sealed beams that give you two dim blotches on the road.

Pic of relayed Hella E-code low beams using 90/130 bulbs (90W on low). Well,, I meant the Hella e-codes with HID...sure the cutoff will still be there, but hello hot spot and dark spot galore...

Police
04-04-2006, 07:59 PM
retrofitting projectors in one of those sealed beam headlights is not hard at all, if you are going with HIDs you better be using projectors.

Go on ebay and pick up a set of those H4 conversion headlights, a set of projectors (HID ones perferred), HID kit that is D2S or whatever bulb the non-hid projectors use. Fit the projectors in the headlight, hook up HID kit and done.:burnout:

Rockski
04-04-2006, 08:52 PM
id love to do this to my truck, jsut cause im sick of how fucking dim the sealed lamps that i have to puck up are

GTS Jeff
04-04-2006, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Police
retrofitting projectors in one of those sealed beam headlights is not hard at all, if you are going with HIDs you better be using projectors.

Go on ebay and pick up a set of those H4 conversion headlights, a set of projectors (HID ones perferred), HID kit that is D2S or whatever bulb the non-hid projectors use. Fit the projectors in the headlight, hook up HID kit and done.:burnout: Are you kidding? To do it "right" you would need OEM bixenon projectors. Those are far too big to fit in the square H6054 housings and even if you managed to make it fit by having the projector body sticking out the end, it wouldn't work on a pop-up headlight system like the thread starter has.

As I already said, I've done lots of research into this and it simply can't be done if you want OEM brightness, beam pattern, fit, and functionality. The best alternative are relayed high wattage halogens.

Rockski
04-04-2006, 09:51 PM
got any sudgestions as to fitting em up on my truck (*good to see you back man)

Police
04-04-2006, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Are you kidding? To do it "right" you would need OEM bixenon projectors. Those are far too big to fit in the square H6054 housings and even if you managed to make it fit by having the projector body sticking out the end, it wouldn't work on a pop-up headlight system like the thread starter has.

As I already said, I've done lots of research into this and it simply can't be done if you want OEM brightness, beam pattern, fit, and functionality. The best alternative are relayed high wattage halogens.

if you had hids you'd know that high beams aren't necessary, unless you're always on dark highways or you're blind.

You say you researched alot but obviously not enough, there are smaller non hid projectors that will fit in there.

GTS Jeff
04-04-2006, 11:52 PM

if you had hids you'd know that high beams aren't necessary, unless you're always on dark highways or you're blind.

You say you researched alot but obviously not enough, there are smaller non hid projectors that will fit in there. Police,

High beams are necessary because, yes, people do drive out of the city. The whole point of converting to HID is to improve lighting performance, is it not? I'm sure you're aware that low beams, whether halogen or HID, are quite restricted in distance because of the cutoff. This means that you're going to be illuminating the same 100ft, just with varying brightness. When you do go on dark highways (the point of putting in brighter headlights I'd assume) then you will need something that throws light out further ahead for safety purposes.

Second, yes, there are non-HID projectors that will fit...but as the name says, they are "non-HID." What does that mean to you, Police? Does it mean that you should put HIDs in there anyway? The answer is no, you shouldn't, because the HID light arc is in a different position and is a different shape than the halogen filament, so the projector will not properly distribute the light onto the road in a uniform beam pattern, which will result in brighter areas in some places (known as hot spots) and dimmer areas in other places (usually where you need the light, like far ahead of the car.)

Is there anything else you'd like to try to contest with me?

GTS Jeff
04-04-2006, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Rockski
got any sudgestions as to fitting em up on my truck (*good to see you back man) Yo...getting "proper" HIDs retrofitted into your car will be like $1000 + headaches haha...it's just not worth the hassle.

Take some certified, official GTS Jeff (tm) advice:

Sylvania XtraVision sealed beams. $25 at Superstore. These are going to make a HUGE difference. Trust me. They're not HIDs but you will love me once you do this.

Police
04-05-2006, 02:15 AM
Police,

High beams are necessary because, yes, people do drive out of the city. The whole point of converting to HID is to improve lighting performance, is it not? I'm sure you're aware that low beams, whether halogen or HID, are quite restricted in distance because of the cutoff. This means that you're going to be illuminating the same 100ft, just with varying brightness. When you do go on dark highways (the point of putting in brighter headlights I'd assume) then you will need something that throws light out further ahead for safety purposes.

Second, yes, there are non-HID projectors that will fit...but as the name says, they are "non-HID." What does that mean to you, Police? Does it mean that you should put HIDs in there anyway? The answer is no, you shouldn't, because the HID light arc is in a different position and is a different shape than the halogen filament, so the projector will not properly distribute the light onto the road in a uniform beam pattern, which will result in brighter areas in some places (known as hot spots) and dimmer areas in other places (usually where you need the light, like far ahead of the car.)

Is there anything else you'd like to try to contest with me?

HOLY JESUS i didn't know this is a debate...:banghead:

I said high beams arent necssary unless you drive in pitch black highways alot or you're BLIND. To tell you the truth my HB's are only used for flashing ppl haha. Then again what would you know you are running halogens. You're probably the ones that drive on highway #1 with HBs on to throw more light ahead.

Now you're going to tell me the cut off restricts distance? HAHAHA you got to be fucking kidding, only a tool would say that...:dunno:
Should i elaborate? nah you're alone on this one.

For the non-hid projectors...AGAIN you LACK research, do some more before you try to confront to me that they won't work. There are some projectors that are for HALOGEN and perform almost as well as an HID projector. Has it ever occured to you that not all projectors are the same? there isn't one type of light bulb for all halogen projectors?

My response to you will be limited, because you don't know what you're talking about...

"whether halogen or HID, are quite restricted in distance because of the cutoff. This means that you're going to be illuminating the same 100ft, just with varying brightness."

^^^ this right here is PURE COMEDY LOL

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ashkente
04-05-2006, 02:15 AM
I have done similar research and came to pretty much the same conclusion as Jeff. However, I did find out that Sylvania-Osram does make some 6054 HID products. Problem there is that I've only seen these kits on here (http://www.brightheadlights-hid.com/HID-Headlights-x6054.htm) , and the projectors are too big to fit in a popup headlight (just like Jeff says, the projector sticks out the front). Not sure about the non-projectors. The other odd thing is that they're not listed on Sylvania's website anywhere (they are supposedly part of their "Xenarc" line), so they may be discontinued? Oh, and they're ridiculously expensive!

GTS Jeff
04-05-2006, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Ashkente
I have done similar research and came to pretty much the same conclusion as Jeff. However, I did find out that Sylvania-Osram does make some 6054 HID products. Problem there is that I've only seen these kits on here (http://www.brightheadlights-hid.com/HID-Headlights-x6054.htm) , and the projectors are too big to fit in a popup headlight (just like Jeff says, the projector sticks out the front). Not sure about the non-projectors. The other odd thing is that they're not listed on Sylvania's website anywhere (they are supposedly part of their "Xenarc" line), so they may be discontinued? Oh, and they're ridiculously expensive! Ahh yes, the Xenarc X6054...This kit was made my Sylvania a few years ago. The ballast was built into the housing so that it'd be a plug and play solution. Unfortunately, the lighting was so terrible that Sylvania was forced to discontinue the kit. It's been a long while since and Sylvania still hasn't been able to release an improved version. When a reputable manufacturer like Sylvania tries and then gives up, that should tell you something about the feasibility of HIDs in a H6054 housing.

GTS Jeff
04-05-2006, 09:43 AM

HOLY JESUS i didn't know this is a debate...:banghead:

I said high beams arent necssary unless you drive in pitch black highways alot or you're BLIND. To tell you the truth my HB's are only used for flashing ppl haha. Then again what would you know you are running halogens. You're probably the ones that drive on highway #1 with HBs on to throw more light ahead.

Now you're going to tell me the cut off restricts distance? HAHAHA you got to be fucking kidding, only a tool would say that...:dunno:
Should i elaborate? nah you're alone on this one.

For the non-hid projectors...AGAIN you LACK research, do some more before you try to confront to me that they won't work. There are some projectors that are for HALOGEN and perform almost as well as an HID projector. Has it ever occured to you that not all projectors are the same? there isn't one type of light bulb for all halogen projectors?

My response to you will be limited, because you don't know what you're talking about...

"whether halogen or HID, are quite restricted in distance because of the cutoff. This means that you're going to be illuminating the same 100ft, just with varying brightness."

^^^ this right here is PURE COMEDY LOL

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

First off, yes cutoff restricts distance, because headlights are always aimed down. The e-code aiming spec is 2-4" dip at 25'. This means that no matter the brightness, it'll be cutoff at the same distance. Now you could argue that you have DOT housings, but running DOT H4 conversions is even worse because of the glare generated. You do aim your headlights properly don't you?

Second, when a projector is designed for a straight halogen filament, it won't properly work with an curved HID arc because the light is coming from a different place. When you mount HIDs into a halogen projector, it's like putting the bulb in crooked. The optics are designed to take light from one specific spot (where the halogen filament is) in order to create a uniform beam pattern. When the light source is in a different location within the projector, then you aren't using the projector properly anymore. I read a good analogy somewhere...using halogen optics on HIDs is like wearing someone elses glasses. You can make the glasses fit your face, but it won't work properly.

Ashkente
04-05-2006, 12:18 PM
Ahh yes, the Xenarc X6054...This kit was made my Sylvania a few years ago. The ballast was built into the housing so that it'd be a plug and play solution. Unfortunately, the lighting was so terrible that Sylvania was forced to discontinue the kit. It's been a long while since and Sylvania still hasn't been able to release an improved version. When a reputable manufacturer like Sylvania tries and then gives up, that should tell you something about the feasibility of HIDs in a H6054 housing.

I see... lighting was that shitty huh? :rofl:

SorrGwa
04-05-2006, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by england4957
hey everyone i would like to convert my stock sealed beam headlights on my 92 celica to clear lens ones with the H4 bulbs. I have found both the non-sealed beam clear lens headlights aswell as the H4 bulbs which appear to have the three prongs in the back which my stock lights also have. But ive been hearing people talk about HID conversion kits and i want to know if i need one or not because they are 200 ish bucks on ebay so could someone please explain why i would or why i wouldnt need this conversion kit? Thanks

see if any of these fit

they appear to be direct replacement headlight's with all the lenses and hid built in. Im not sure how ur celica looks, but i assume its the older style with the pop up headlights that use sealed beams.

http://www.xenondepot.com/category.php?category_id=11

these look like direct sealed beam replacements
http://www.xenondepot.com/product.php?product_id=102

http://www.xenondepot.com/product.php?product_id=107

http://www.xenondepot.com/product.php?product_id=108

GTS Jeff
04-05-2006, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by SorrGwa

these look like direct sealed beam replacements
http://www.xenondepot.com/product.php?product_id=102

http://www.xenondepot.com/product.php?product_id=107

http://www.xenondepot.com/product.php?product_id=108 Now that is interesting...

It looks like the lense bubbles out though, so I wonder if it'd clear flipping up and down. I'm also curious about how they're "bixenon"...moving capsule, moving shield, and whether the projector is optimized for the shield...

celicaguy
04-06-2006, 08:24 PM
I'm just happy to see a couple 5th geners on here. I'm with gts-jeff, i've heard too many stories about the poor results. I opted to H4 convert and am pleased with the results, i thought there were beter places to invest money.

GTS Jeff
04-06-2006, 08:55 PM
Now that is interesting...

It looks like the lense bubbles out though, so I wonder if it'd clear flipping up and down. I'm also curious about how they're "bixenon"...moving capsule, moving shield, and whether the projector is optimized for the shield... So I emailed them and everything checks out...except that the bubble won't clear popup lights and it looks intensely ugly.