PDA

View Full Version : Place for quick weld-job?

canadian_hustla
04-04-2006, 04:52 PM
When putting my rims on this weekend, I found out that I can no longer put my centercaps on as the piece that screws into the rim (which then i screw my center cap into) is stripped. Instead of screwing the piece into the rim, I have decided that i need to weld it on

can dealers perform welds? or would you recommend tire places or anywhere else?

thanks!

davidI
04-04-2006, 04:56 PM
can you just grab a tap and die set and clean it up?

Otherwise I'd imagine most mechanics or muffler shops could do it quickly for you. It would just be a few tacks to hold it in place from the sounds of it.

canadian_hustla
04-04-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by davidI
can you just grab a tap and die set and clean it up?

Otherwise I'd imagine most mechanics or muffler shops could do it quickly for you. It would just be a few tacks to hold it in place from the sounds of it.

well that is sort of what I was thinking, the idea is basically that there is a small hole drilled into the rim. From this hole, I have a piece that is about 4 inches long that screws into that hole. Then I can screw then centercap into it.

the problem is that the hole is stripped completely, so although the screw/bolt piece can fit in, it is not slug - and thus i am worried about losing my centercaps..

therefore i was thinking about just welding the piece in

ok i will have to look into those places, thank you

legendboy
04-05-2006, 08:24 AM
you need to drill/tap the hole the next size up and get a new fastener to screw into the new hole. this could be a sketchy indevor with the rims on the car.

canadian_hustla
04-05-2006, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
you need to drill/tap the hole the next size up and get a new fastener to screw into the new hole. this could be a sketchy indevor with the rims on the car.

so you are talking something like a heeli coil? (sp?)

basically drill the whole one size bigger, than put one of those in so i can screw it in..

I think that might be my best bet as i might have problems welding two different kinds of metals (chome alloy / steel)?