PDA

View Full Version : CPSC231 @ UofC

hussein
04-04-2006, 08:38 PM
Hello:
I am now enrolled in Chem201 with labs that give me Tuesday and Thursday free.

I was thinking of taking Computer Science 231 as well in the spring. It says that there is a lab section along with the tutorial and the lecture, however for the lab it says it is TBA and same for the fall ones.

I was planning to call UofC tomorrow to find out more info but was wondering if someone on here could tell me before I call becuase they are closed right now.

I am also having trouble finding where it says what exactly this means:
H(3-2T-1)
I know that H stands for half, the 3 for 3 hour lecture, and 2t for 2 hour tutorial, and 1 for one hour lab? Can someone confirm this becuase I can't find an example on their webpage at the moment.

Also, with Chem201 at the same time as CPSC231 will this be extremly difficult? I do not have any programming background but I have basic knowledge of unix I think, from setting up apache and qmail ect on my freebsd box. But nothing major.

Lastly, my instructor is Deur, has anyone had him, is there anything I should expect or not expect?

Thanks for your input regarding this matter.

Team_Mclaren
04-04-2006, 08:49 PM
DO NOT!! under ANY circumstances!!! Take a class with Deur!! YOU WILL KILL YOURSELF

He is the worst professor in the history of the university. He will teach you nothing.!!! I took Cpsc 231 with him and even some of the cpsc majors failed. If you have to take it with him, pray to god that you have a good TA. The course itself isnt that hard, but Deur is retarded.

hussein
04-04-2006, 08:51 PM
lol. He wasn't very enthusiastic on the phone.

What other course would you recommend? I wouldn't mind taking somthing easy, I really need to get my GPA up, but I figured I should be able to do decent in CpSc, and I will have to take it then in the fall.

Oh yea, my tutorial teacher is Deur.

Team_Mclaren
04-04-2006, 08:54 PM
why do you need cpsc 231 anyway?? cpsc major? or Acsc major? you can try cpsc 215, i heard its relatively easier...

search for easy courses, there are many threads on them. some are econ 201, 203, cpsc 203, anth 201, 203, astr 203, cpsc 231 wasnt suppose to be an easy course anyway.y

nismodrifter
04-04-2006, 08:56 PM
edit: oops my mistake I thought you wanted to know about CPSC 203.

Deur is boring as shit. That's all I have to say. Had him for 203 and I was :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

mikey_mo_love
04-04-2006, 09:00 PM
Deur is just awful. I had him for 231, didn't learn a damn thing. Hopefully you can learn Pascal quickly on your own, because he won't teach you.

hussein
04-04-2006, 09:04 PM
Well, I wanted to do a BSc in computer science and I would like to take a second course in spring that might help me later down the road. I am currently in sciences (biology) at Medicine Hat College.

hussein
04-04-2006, 09:10 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=94195&highlight=easy

Wow, maybe I will take GRST 211 (http://www.ucalgary.ca/pubs/calendar/current/What/Courses/GRST.htm#211).
Is this class really as easy as sitting at the computer and just looking at the answers and inputting them into blackboard?
This is aparently a schedule from 2005 I believe:
http://www.fp.ucalgary.ca/grst/outlines/Spring%20Summer%2005/grst_211_spring_2005_jeppesen_outline.pdf

Thanks.

mikey_mo_love
04-04-2006, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by hussein
Wow, maybe I will take GRST 211 (http://www.ucalgary.ca/pubs/calendar/current/What/Courses/GRST.htm#211).
Is this class really as easy as sitting at the computer and just looking at the answers and inputting them into blackboard?

Yes it is

HyperZell
04-04-2006, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by mikey_mo_love

Yes it is

There's no way you would be a reliable source. "Sitting" stymies you, and "computers" are God's puzzle to you. And don't even mention "blackboard"...

mikey_mo_love
04-04-2006, 11:37 PM
so i'm not a reliable source because i've taken the class with the professor mentioned?
riiiiight

hussein
04-05-2006, 12:04 AM
Can anyone tell me about the "lab" section, or tutorial section? Does the lab exist?

Thanks!

HyperZell
04-05-2006, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by mikey_mo_love
so i'm not a reliable source because i've taken the class with the professor mentioned?
riiiiight

No, you're not a reliable source because I can hardly believe you're paying attention in class. Where do you want it, Mike?

mikey_mo_love
04-05-2006, 09:05 AM
^ HAHAHA
right in the face!!! lol

what's up Cheng?

mikey_mo_love
04-05-2006, 09:10 AM
Can anyone tell me about the "lab" section, or tutorial section? Does the lab exist?

Thanks!

In the labs, you do a programming assignment every two weeks (probably more frequent for the spring semester). The longest program you'll write is ~1000 lines of code, so it's not too bad. I would definately suggest going to the labs, as you'll learn the most from your TA.

urbannomad
10-02-2006, 10:54 PM
sry to bring an old thread back up...but this thing with deur....i got stuck with him, cuz i had to take cpsc and his slot was the only one available:banghead:

why is this guy so naive and cocky! hasn't anyone ever complained about this guy?

always bitching about shit....you ask him a question like say, "what does the laser do in the laserprinter?"...he says something like "i dont know" and then forgets it....and this really did happen. then he actually said i really dont care what i do....his notes are shit, and talks and "friendlies" up to the ppl with laptops and the cute girls at the front! anyone else have this dude?

hussein
10-03-2006, 11:52 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Werd. I had him in the Spring.

I got A or A-'s on all my assignments. I think somthing like a B on the midterm. On the final, I didn't even get like half done, and I ended up getting a D on the final. Ended up with a C as my final grade. He saw me the other day in the hall way and talked to me for a minute or so and asked me what I am doing now, but yea, his notes aren't the greatest.

He used to wear a sweater everyday during the summer. Use his wife in his examples alot.

hussein
10-03-2006, 11:55 PM
Who's your TA? I had M. Hanna. He is awesome. Very friendly, and very knowledgable. :thumbsup:

urbannomad
10-04-2006, 11:52 AM
some penner or brenner guy...reminds me of a newfy....:rofl: always fucking late to class.

T78Supra1
10-04-2006, 12:22 PM
He is a really good prof in the 5oo level classes thats all. Being the Dean of Computer science he thinks he's God, so he doesn't teach 231 well at all. I would avoid this class completly if you are not in Software engineering or Cpsc. Take Cpsc 203 much much easier

Street_Soldier
10-06-2006, 11:20 AM
I had him for 231 and i found the class pretty hard. Mainly because I wasn't used to learning everything on my own. Last year I was sitting in the lab and he came up the this girl that was working on a 231 lab. She was frustrated because she couldn't get some code to work. He tells her that if she can't do it she shouldn't be in the class in the first place. Then he starts to totally perv on her telling her to go to his office for extra help (he just kept bringing it up. I wasnt looking but i think he was even rubbing her arm too as if to comfort her). When he leaves she just starts crying. I felt so bad for her. Deur is a bitch.

rm777
10-06-2006, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Street_Soldier
I had him for 231 and i found the class pretty hard. Mainly because I wasn't used to learning everything on my own. Last year I was sitting in the lab and he came up the this girl that was working on a 231 lab. She was frustrated because she couldn't get some code to work. He tells her that if she can't do it she shouldn't be in the class in the first place. Then he starts to totally perv on her telling her to go to his office for extra help (he just kept bringing it up. I wasnt looking but i think he was even rubbing her arm too as if to comfort her). When he leaves she just starts crying. I felt so bad for her. Deur is a bitch.

Some of these profs are borderline rapists.

99atlantic
10-09-2006, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Street_Soldier
Deur is a bitch.

Correction, the entire university save for a few professors is a bunch of cocktards. I hated my entire time there.

I'm waiting for my hedge fund to eclipse a billion dollars (go go hedge fund power....if anybody wants to donate 850M, PM me :D )then write them a letter expressing my disgute and donating a $1 to them :drama:

hussein
10-10-2006, 10:58 PM
I am finding 233 hard actually, I have Nathaly as an instructor, and she is doing a horrible job I am finding of teaching, well she isn't really teaching java, at all.

I heard Tam atleast taught some java in his classes? Anyway, I guess I have to take the initiative to learn it on my own as most of the rest of the comp sci courses will be me learning the language on my own, but does anyone have any recommendations? She says that the objective of the course is to learn object oriented programming.

THanks.

99atlantic
10-11-2006, 01:53 PM
They're teaching java and OOP now? Damn, when I took it yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars ago (something like 8 or 9) they were teaching Turbo Pascal still, lol

Street_Soldier
10-12-2006, 09:58 PM
I am finding 233 hard actually, I have Nathaly as an instructor, and she is doing a horrible job I am finding of teaching, well she isn't really teaching java, at all.

I heard Tam atleast taught some java in his classes? Anyway, I guess I have to take the initiative to learn it on my own as most of the rest of the comp sci courses will be me learning the language on my own, but does anyone have any recommendations? She says that the objective of the course is to learn object oriented programming.

THanks.

Oh Verwall, had her for 313 and she is by far one of the best CPSC profs (well for theory courses). When it comes to programing no one beats Manzera, hes so dry and boring but on the other hand has a firm grasp of english language, something most people take for granted. I dont know what you mean by "any reccomendations".... but what i can say is java rocks! There are a lot of online resources so there is plenty of help.

hussein
10-13-2006, 03:45 AM
Werd, I am starting to like it more now. Rushed a bit into my first assignment so I hated it, but the second assignment was pretty easy and allowed me to explore more with java.

nos_efx
10-20-2006, 11:12 AM
Off topic but....

So glad I'm finally outta CompSci, as of last April.....

mushi_mushi
10-20-2006, 12:34 PM
You and me both :)... Im was also out of comp sci since last April, what are you doing now...