PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Pricing leaked?

Xtrema
04-05-2006, 11:54 AM
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/ps3/playstation-3-will-be-612-to-734--165234.php

So is it really gonna be $600cdn and up by Nov release? I for one isn't surprised but MS probably gonna sell 360 for $300 by that time.

So they better have awesome games @ launch or PS3 will be gone like walkman.

Bill Cosby
04-05-2006, 12:06 PM
$599 or $734 i think itll be $734 :O. what a peice

too much for videogames

whats their key demographic?

Millionaires?!

heavyD
04-05-2006, 12:09 PM
I think even at $1000 CDN they would sell out for months. Don't underestimate the power of brand name recognition and Sony fanboys. Sony is building some massive hype for the PS3 and while educated people know that PS3 games will not be much if any upgrade over 360 & PC most of the buying consumers don't. If Sony trumpets the PS3 as the latest & greatest you will have everyone in Japan and millions of consumers in the rest of the world lining up willing to pay as much as it takes to get it.

In fact I garentee that if Sony repackaged the original Xbox as a PS3 they would sell millions and the average consumer would still think it was better than the 360. The name Playstation is a license to print money.

/////AMG
04-05-2006, 12:37 PM
It's not overpriced, for all the shit in there its worth it. But I probably won't buy it until the next GTA comes out or when its at $300.

habsfan
04-05-2006, 12:38 PM
dear god thats ridiculous...that is far too overpriced. i seem to be slowly preferring the 360 :thumbsdow

RX-7_TWINTURBO
04-05-2006, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by /////AMG
It's not overpriced, for all the shit in there its worth it. But I probably won't buy it until the next GTA comes out or when its at $300. i dont think all of the parts of a ps3 would add up to anything close to €600
$1200CDN..being a gamer must suck

/////AMG
04-05-2006, 12:54 PM
^I think there was a picture of the price of the parts Sony uses for the PS3 on beyond, I'm sure it added up to more than that. Oh well.:dunno:

rockym20
04-05-2006, 12:57 PM
PS3 is going to come out with 2 price points - a cheaper model with no harddrive and a more expensive model with one.

kaput
04-05-2006, 01:17 PM

toyboy88
04-05-2006, 04:38 PM
i don't think it's too outrageous considering xbox 360 was losing money selling premium's for $500CDN? :dunno:

Xtrema
04-06-2006, 12:33 AM
While I don't doubt it'll sell. Heck, the $500 Xbox 360 has been selling like hot cakes and I blew over $800 so far on the console/accessory and games.

But people are willing to pay when you are the only game in town and continue to be for another 6+ months. Releasing PS3 a year later with the same spec as Xbox360, inferior on-line setup and possiblily a couple hundreds more, it's saving grace would be game line ups. Otherwise, Xbox will get a lot of attention for its lower price during the holiday season.

On top of that, Playstation is starting to lose exclusive deals (come on, we nee Rockstar to switch....)and developers are wasting more $$$ developing for PS3. Things are not going well for Sony.

ninjak84
04-06-2006, 01:25 AM
Holy shit! I hope the price goes down by the time I have to buy one for Gran Turismo 5

Rocky
04-06-2006, 07:34 PM
GT5 and MGS4, both probably for launch. Plus a Killzone and several other big titles. No chance that PS3 isn't going to sell out right away. People have been saving up for months for them.

yellowsnow
04-07-2006, 01:50 PM
is it going to be backwards compatible with ps1 and ps2 games?

MidnightDreamer
04-07-2006, 02:04 PM
Pound for pound, PS3 still has an edge over the 360... But I don't know if it justifies the $600+ price tag of a PS3... But we can't forget that this is Sony we're talking about, they have a giant foothold in the gaming industry and I don't think they plan on losing to Microsoft. In the Xbox vs. PS2 wars they edged out over Xbox not because of the techincal capabilties of the machine (We all know PS2 was the weaker system, and also harder to develop for), but because of the great games... I mean, most generic games relating to sports etc. will be cross platform, but there are so many Turismo, Metal Gear, FF, etc. fans that seem to outnumber the Halo, PGR, etc. fans... This time around PS3 has a very capable machine and the continuing support from developers who made the PS2 the monumental system that it is today. I am confident that Sony won't dissapoint us this time around either... Of course this is all my opinion, but despite the rediculous price of the system I am still going to opt for the PS3 over the 360... The only way Microsoft will be invading my home is through my computer... Sony's got dibs on the living room...

Sorath
04-10-2006, 11:35 AM
i`d wait till its like 200 bux then buy it, by then alot of games should be out by then

hyperwhite
04-10-2006, 11:42 AM
^ if you wait untill its 200 bucks then PS4 will be on its way :nut:

ZEDGE
04-10-2006, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by hyperwhite
^ if you wait untill its 200 bucks then PS4 will be on its way :nut:

LOL no doubt.

Toms-SC
04-10-2006, 01:43 PM
"
European news outlets reported a story on Wednesday that George Fornay, SCEE VP, said that the PS3 would cost 499-599 euros. The price quote came from an interview Fornay gave earlier in the week. The news was a shock to many gamers since it would put the system between 610 and 730 dollars.

Sony has since released a statement, through communications director Nick Sharples, denying the price as misinterpritation. Sharples commented on the interview being "a very wide-ranging discussion about consumer electronics in general". He went on to clarify that "[Fornay and the interviewer] had been talking earlier about the price point of Blu-ray disc players, which are looking to sell around the $1000 mark. The interviewer asked whether a price point of around $500, not euros, is about right [as a price for the PS3]. George explained that with all of the high-definition and Blu-ray disc functionality of the PS3, that a $500 price would be very cheap and a very good value".

Sharples also added "At no point did he ever refer to a specific price for [the PS3]. He was referring to a 500 dollar price that the interviewer had questioned to him, explaining the relative value of the PS3 console in relation to Blu-ray disc players on the high-end and consoles on the low-end".

Sony’s quick denial can be viewed in two ways, the first at face value as a simple case of misunderstanding being clarified, or you could view it as damage control. We don’t know for sure if Fornay hit a little too close to home for Sony on the price, but it does appear that we are back to the guessing game until an official statement is released. When asked about when such a statement may come, Sharples replied that it could be E3 "at the earliest". It appears that Sony is not ready to show its price card just yet. PS3Portal will keep you up to date with any new information which will probably be made public early next month.
"

heavyD
04-10-2006, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
"
European news outlets reported a story on Wednesday that George Fornay, SCEE VP, said that the PS3 would cost 499-599 euros. The price quote came from an interview Fornay gave earlier in the week. The news was a shock to many gamers since it would put the system between 610 and 730 dollars.

Sony has since released a statement, through communications director Nick Sharples, denying the price as misinterpritation. Sharples commented on the interview being "a very wide-ranging discussion about consumer electronics in general". He went on to clarify that "[Fornay and the interviewer] had been talking earlier about the price point of Blu-ray disc players, which are looking to sell around the $1000 mark. The interviewer asked whether a price point of around $500, not euros, is about right [as a price for the PS3]. George explained that with all of the high-definition and Blu-ray disc functionality of the PS3, that a $500 price would be very cheap and a very good value".

Sharples also added "At no point did he ever refer to a specific price for [the PS3]. He was referring to a 500 dollar price that the interviewer had questioned to him, explaining the relative value of the PS3 console in relation to Blu-ray disc players on the high-end and consoles on the low-end".

Sony’s quick denial can be viewed in two ways, the first at face value as a simple case of misunderstanding being clarified, or you could view it as damage control. We don’t know for sure if Fornay hit a little too close to home for Sony on the price, but it does appear that we are back to the guessing game until an official statement is released. When asked about when such a statement may come, Sharples replied that it could be E3 "at the earliest". It appears that Sony is not ready to show its price card just yet. PS3Portal will keep you up to date with any new information which will probably be made public early next month.
"

We've heard this denial before. Remember the rumors in January that the PS3 wouldn't make a spring release? Sony denied but once spring came around, they came clean. Same thing here. Of course the price leaked is probably fairly accurate & of course Sony will not let the cat out of the bag until it starts taking pre-orders a few months ahead of launch. It's going to be pricey we will just have to wait to find out how pricey it is.

bmwM5_x
04-10-2006, 04:25 PM
oh god i m slowing deciding if i should get the 360 because of the price arggghhh

Recca168
04-12-2006, 05:43 PM
Damn thats expensive for a console.... I don't think i'm will to spend more than 400 for it. Prolly wait a while anyway.... never have had any luck with first gen sony consoles anyway. But if you want an 360 probably wait till christmas. I think they should have a decent price drop by then.

Neil4Speed
04-15-2006, 12:47 AM
That price doesn't sound too absurd considering the price of the PS2 When it came out, I remember some places were selling it that boxing day for around $600.

Personally I think its worth it

Das_Amaretto
04-15-2006, 11:30 AM
I don't think Sony will do as well this round... They're launching a year later with way higher price than 360 did. By then, the games being released for 360 will use way more of the machine's capabilities, blowing away PS3 launch titles.

Microsoft knows this, and will release Halo3 to counter Sony's launch, and I think Halo will prevail.

Doesn't really make a difference to me though, I'll still be grabbing a PS3 and a Revolution. I have a feeling Nintendo's system will surprise tons of people this time too, they're finally gonna get it right.

MidnightDreamer
04-15-2006, 04:35 PM
Good points... Is Halo 3 going to be realeased on PC at all? I know you can get a mouse and keyboard for the 360, but for all the people who play FPS's on a gamepad, I don't know how you can do it... FPS's really do belong on the PCs...

Speaking of PC's, we obviously don't see them as a console... but truth be told I've spent more time gaming on my PC than I have on any other gaming console...

It's kind of sad to say, but I think I really only own a PS2 because of certain exclusive titles that are associated with it... Square's FF/KH, GT, MGS, Tekken, etc...

Either way it is true that Microsoft has the high ground right now...

IMO, Sony's uber ambition towards making such an uber pimp gaming console might bring them down in the end... I mean what part of thier market demographic has a 1080p capable TV... 2 of them that is... side by side so you can put to use the Dual HDMI??? It's obvious Sony's pushing the envelope when it comes to the level of technology they're cramming into thier system, but I think they might lose a lot to Microsoft in the shortplay just because of the price and the wait they're forcing on consumers... I don't think the youngems have the patience or the pockets to be holding out for a PS3 right now... Either way, Sony's already got me sold on thier next gen system... Some clever marketing might help them to sell me a TV too... No HDMI in my house...