PDA

View Full Version : Need advice please on buying

SJracer
04-05-2006, 09:53 PM
Hey ya'll. I'm looking into buying a 88 325i and I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice on what to look for,etc. I know what to look for when buying a car in general, but never owning a BNW, I'm not too familiar with them. Any help would be appreciated.

BigBadVlad
04-05-2006, 11:00 PM
One big expensive thing is the rear subframe bushings. Try weaving a bit down the road at say around 60km/h. Make sure no other cars are nearby, or curbs for that matter. If one or both bushings is shot the car will feel like the rear is steering on its own. Kinda like the rear reacts to your steering in a delayed manner. Very unnerving. It can be a costly fix if your bushings are corroded in place.

The rear suspension is kinda the weak link on these cars I think. The rear swaybar mounts are susceptible to breaking over time. Look under the car and look at all the points where the rear swaybar is attached to the car. Rear shock towers are also susceptible to cracking, look inside the trunk behind the carpeting if need be.

Heater blower not working on lower settings or making noises. Not expensive, just replace the blower motor.

Then the usual, oil leaks under the car etc...