PDA

View Full Version : Looking into buying a used 320

2000Accord
04-06-2006, 09:51 PM
I am considering getting rid of my accord and moving up to a 2003 320I (private sale). Any advice on things to look out for on these?

Also - I saw a few recommendations on this site for BMW mechanical inspections. I was going to take it to the BMW dealer for an inspection, but no one seemed to recommend either dealer, should I stay clear of the dealers service dept?

Thanks

AllGoNoShow
04-06-2006, 10:12 PM
I'm not fond of the dealerships myself, little on the over priced, snappy, im a rich person dealership, instead of just the freindly service department.

Alpine Autoworks or Sheni's Autotrend are Beyond's personal favories.

projekz
04-07-2006, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
I'm not fond of the dealerships myself, little on the over priced, snappy, im a rich person dealership, instead of just the freindly service department.

Alpine Autoworks or Sheni's Autotrend are Beyond's personal favories.

Dealerships are there for a reason. If you own a 89 735, you might wanna go somewhere else to save yourself some money.
Plus the guys at Alpine probably see a car like yours way more than dealerships do. But if your looking at a newer car; an 03 320i for example; the car might still be under warranty and the dealer see those all day long. Plus there is a reason for the dealers to charge 105$ an hour. First support a really expensive building. Then pay three guys 20 000$ a year each to wash cars that are in for service ( not all of them...they get lazy too :zzz: ).
That's just the start. Anyways. I'm not saying that you have to bring your car to the dealer, but you always get what you pay for.:werd:

sputnik
04-07-2006, 10:53 AM
An Accord to a 320i seems more like a lateral move than "moving up".

2000Accord
04-07-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
An Accord to a 320i seems more like a lateral move than "moving up".

I agree that the accords are nice cars and good value, but they don't handle like a BMW imo. Any comments from BMW owners?

Weapon_R
04-07-2006, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by 2000Accord

I agree that the accords are nice cars and good value, but they don't handle like a BMW imo. Any comments from BMW owners?

Im personally surprised to see the two (accord and BMW) in the same sentence. Any comparison is ridiculous. The accord is a great car but sitting in a BMW, even a 320, is a whole new ball game.

Goblin
04-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by projekz

Dealerships are there for a reason. If you own a 89 735, you might wanna go somewhere else to save yourself some money.
Plus the guys at Alpine probably see a car like yours way more than dealerships do. But if your looking at a newer car; an 03 320i for example; the car might still be under warranty and the dealer see those all day long. Plus there is a reason for the dealers to charge 105$ an hour. First support a really expensive building. Then pay three guys 20 000$ a year each to wash cars that are in for service ( not all of them...they get lazy too :zzz: ).
That's just the start. Anyways. I'm not saying that you have to bring your car to the dealer, but you always get what you pay for.:werd:

How are those valid points? lol

Go for a 325 if you can, just a lot of better feature that aren't listed on the window

benyl
04-07-2006, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Im personally surprised to see the two (accord and BMW) in the same sentence. Any comparison is ridiculous. The accord is a great car but sitting in a BMW, even a 320, is a whole new ball game.

Have to disagree with you there.

Just because a BMW can handle well, doesn't mean the driver behind the wheel knows how to use that capability.

I had a 2001 Accord V6 coupe. It wasn't that bad. BMWs aren't as great as people make them out to be. Don't get me wrong, they are an awesome car, but they aren't THAT awesome.

If he was talking about going from a accord to a 330, then I agree, whole new ball game. The Montana leather is worth the price of admission alone.

Be aware that just changing the oil, even in the 320 is going to cost about triple what it costs doing an oil change for the accord. That is if your do it yourself. If you go to the dealer, you will pay over $100 for an oil change. Also, you will have to put premium in the 320... the accord runs on the cheap stuff.

projekz
04-07-2006, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Have to disagree with you there.

Just because a BMW can handle well, doesn't mean the driver behind the wheel knows how to use that capability.

I had a 2001 Accord V6 coupe. It wasn't that bad. BMWs aren't as great as people make them out to be. Don't get me wrong, they are an awesome car, but they aren't THAT awesome.

If he was talking about going from a accord to a 330, then I agree, whole new ball game. The Montana leather is worth the price of admission alone.

Be aware that just changing the oil, even in the 320 is going to cost about triple what it costs doing an oil change for the accord. That is if your do it yourself. If you go to the dealer, you will pay over $100 for an oil change. Also, you will have to put premium in the 320... the accord runs on the cheap stuff.

Sorry buddy but even if you pay 100$ for an oil change you only change the oil once a year or every 24000kms. So that's about 4 Honda Accord oil change. which are what? at least 30$ each.So what's your point....Honda's a great cars. I'd say it's next best thing to a BMW. If your gonna make a point make a valid one.

Stratus_Power
04-08-2006, 10:27 AM
I don't think you can ignore the fact that BMW has a much higher mantainance cost than an Accord, not just oil change but whatever services that it will require in the future, especially since he is buying a used one.

projekz
04-08-2006, 10:54 AM
If you can't afford to maintain it. Don't buy it.:thumbsup:

FatboyTheHungry
04-08-2006, 11:24 AM
I bought a 2000 Accord EX-V6 for my mom, and I currently own a 2001 330ci. I have also owned and driven different flavors of BMW since the early 90's. I currently have a fetish for Hondas but as an exercise in tuning.

When comparing stock suspensions in the Accord and any E46 3 series, I find that the Accord feels floaty and sloppy. The E46 chassis is very stiff out of the factory, without any mods at all. They are not comparable in any way in their stock form. Also consider the FWD vs RWD behaviour of each car.

One thing about an E46 BMW is that it is somewhat heavy - my 330ci is about 3300lbs. Dunno what an Accord weighs, but having a little more power is always desirable in a well-appointed car.

Moving up to a 325 might be better for the power-hungry driver in the long run (184hp), as I find the 320 a little lacking in that area. It is peppy, but certainly could use some more ponies. You can find a decently priced pre-owned 330ci for less than a new Accord, and you would also benefit from bigger brakes than a 320 or 325.

As far as maintenance goes, my experience with BMW's has been nothing less than exemplary. I also own a 2000 Rav4, and the maintenance costs on the Rav4 come around twice as often, and are more expensive than my 330ci. I would attribute that to design and build quality. You will notice that the maintenance schedules for vehicles like BMW's are very sparse - at 45K, and then 75K, 105K... A complete brake job costs $700 to replace pads and all rotors (which are Brembo, BTW). It would cost almost the same to do it myself.
The Rav4 had to go in according to Toyota's schedule several times more, and with higher costs for each scheduled maintenance. I have to replace the 2 front shocks in the Rav4, and that has been quoted from Stampede Toyota as $510 just for the front 2. How ridiculous is that?

Bill Cosby
04-08-2006, 11:28 AM

arent you trying to sell your bimmer?..

practice what you preach

///|ndy
04-08-2006, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Bill Cosby

arent you trying to sell your bimmer?..

practice what you preach

Do you know what he is getting next? Do you know why he is selling it?

No? Then STFU and GTFO

projekz
04-08-2006, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by FatboyTheHungry
I bought a 2000 Accord EX-V6 for my mom, and I currently own a 2001 330ci. I have also owned and driven different flavors of BMW since the early 90's. I currently have a fetish for Hondas but as an exercise in tuning.

When comparing stock suspensions in the Accord and any E46 3 series, I find that the Accord feels floaty and sloppy. The E46 chassis is very stiff out of the factory, without any mods at all. They are not comparable in any way in their stock form. Also consider the FWD vs RWD behaviour of each car.

One thing about an E46 BMW is that it is somewhat heavy - my 330ci is about 3300lbs. Dunno what an Accord weighs, but having a little more power is always desirable in a well-appointed car.

Moving up to a 325 might be better for the power-hungry driver in the long run (184hp), as I find the 320 a little lacking in that area. It is peppy, but certainly could use some more ponies. You can find a decently priced pre-owned 330ci for less than a new Accord, and you would also benefit from bigger brakes than a 320 or 325.

As far as maintenance goes, my experience with BMW's has been nothing less than exemplary. I also own a 2000 Rav4, and the maintenance costs on the Rav4 come around twice as often, and are more expensive than my 330ci. I would attribute that to design and build quality. You will notice that the maintenance schedules for vehicles like BMW's are very sparse - at 45K, and then 75K, 105K... A complete brake job costs $700 to replace pads and all rotors (which are Brembo, BTW). It would cost almost the same to do it myself.
The Rav4 had to go in according to Toyota's schedule several times more, and with higher costs for each scheduled maintenance. I have to replace the 2 front shocks in the Rav4, and that has been quoted from Stampede Toyota as $510 just for the front 2. How ridiculous is that?

What he said.:thumbsup:
And by the way selling my BMW doesn't mean I won't be driving one anymore.

benyl
04-08-2006, 04:26 PM

Sorry buddy but even if you pay 100$ for an oil change you only change the oil once a year or every 24000kms. So that's about 4 Honda Accord oil change. which are what? at least 30$ each.So what's your point....Honda's a great cars. I'd say it's next best thing to a BMW. If your gonna make a point make a valid one.

WTF is your point? My point is perfectly valid. I am saying that the cost of maintaining a BMW is higher. I never knocked a honda, I was simply comparing it to what he drives now. Get your head out of your ass.

Exactly my point.

By the way, you go ahead and change your oil every 24K km. I change the oil in my BMW every 10K. I change the oil in the STi every 6K. Better safe than sorry.

Back on topic. I would go for an older 325 or 330 over a 320. The 320 is for people that want to say "hey, I drive a BMW but I really can't afford a BMW." Maybe that makes me a snob, but so be it.

sputnik
04-08-2006, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Back on topic. I would go for an older 325 or 330 over a 320. The 320 is for people that want to say "hey, I drive a BMW but I really can't afford a BMW." Maybe that makes me a snob, but so be it.

Great advice!

I wonder what you could buy a low mileage E36 M3 coupe for these days?

FiveFreshFish
04-08-2006, 04:40 PM
Changing the oil on a BMW is so easy you can do it yourself to save some money. It takes 6.5 L so that's a bit more than what the Accord uses. A filter is about $22 from the dealer or you can buy online for about half the price.

Here's where the oil filter is located:

benyl
04-08-2006, 04:46 PM
$22 + $40 (synthetic oil) = $62 give or take.

Accord filter = $5 + 5 litres of dino juice ($17) = $22 or less.

BMW recommends castrol, but I end up using mobil1.

There is no doubt that it costs more.

Goblin
04-08-2006, 05:56 PM
^ Yeah I use Mobil1 too.

And you didnt factor in that you can get filters for 5-10 dollars of the net like FFF said.

gp36912
04-08-2006, 06:02 PM
i use mobil1 also, my filter is 25, and i buy 7 liters each time.

robpark
04-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Ha ha...erm.... I am one of those folks that gets his mechanic to do his oil changes... I live in a condo so there really isn't any space to properly get under the car, nor do I really have the time.

Sheni does my oil changes, he puts some crazy German made synthetic stuff in there, I get it done every 5000-6000kms..... At least this way he can have a look over the car while it is there...

And YES, I am making excuses for not doing it myself...

Not to worry though, I DO know how to change a tyre....:nut:

As far as what car to buy... well, if you want a BMW, go out and get whichever one you want, just know what you are buying. The 320 has a slightly weaker engine than a 325.... so, like a few people have suggested, perhaps you might want to take a look at a 325 or 328. It depends entirely on your budget.

When I was searching for my M3, the average price seemed to hover around the $30,000 mark....with vehicles falling on either side of that figure. I started with a 325 (1994) and it was a LOT of fun.

Good luck!

max_boost
04-08-2006, 11:20 PM
Why not buy a used 330 :D

gp36912
04-09-2006, 12:53 AM
^^^^ he wants you to buy his :D

i have my mechanic do mine also, but usualy my cars up there getting parts put in anyways so i end up just doing the oil change myself while he goes and works away under my car :D i love having my old boss as my mechanic hehehe

Goblin
04-09-2006, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by gp36912
^^^^ he wants you to buy his :D

NO, REALLY?!?!?!?!!??!??

lmao thanks tips

P. Daddy Pedro
05-04-2006, 10:46 AM
buy my car. 320i

AllGoNoShow
05-04-2006, 07:41 PM

I could careless about saving myself money....

When I order replacement paerts from World Pac, and the Dealership, and the MSRP on the World Pac is what the store gets charged from the dealership, for the exact same part, same part #, same packaging, same everything, you know its over priced.

If i wanted to save myself some money I would take the bus while putting in my springs for my car. Instead I told the mechanic at work to put them in, asked for a quick quote but didn't care much about it, just wanted to see what top price would be on doing them. I still haven't seen the bill yet, I'm just paying it no matter what.

Last time I went to the dealership I saw 4 cars just like mine, sure there was more newer 3 series and such there as well but its not like they don't ever see my style/year/model there.

Sure there is a reasons dealerships charge $105 an hour, so they can pay their qualified techs more, so they get old, loyal techs. There is also a reason there are places like Alpine Autowkrs and Sheni's exsist, so you don't have to pay $105 an hour, but you get the same qualified and loyal techs. mmhmhm I wonder, qualified tech, at snappy rude overpriced dealership, or qualified tech at freindly specialty shop? *ponders that one REAL hard*