PDA

View Full Version : Hockey: For those that cheer for 'Canadian' teams

bspot
04-07-2006, 10:00 AM
Why?

If the Flames lose, why would you cheer for the Oilers/Canucks/Leafs etc?

The Minnesota Wild probably have more Canadians on their team than the Vancouver Canucks. Canadian teams aren't Canadian at all.

There have been several studies and all results and statistics have proven that Canucks, Leafs and Oilers fans are all incredibly large douchebags, so why would you want the satisfaction of them winning?

Imagine the Oilers won the cup, instead of it being "Well in the 80's Edmonton was cool!! We won 5 cups!!" it would be "Yeah, well who won the cup last year b*tch?" which is a little harder to take.

If the Flames lose out in the playoffs I'd rather have "Well atleast we had more than 4 playoff games this year, how did losing to Dallas AGAIN feel?"

Remember:

Oilers- douches
Canucks- douches
Leafs- douches

Oiler fans- big douches
Canucks fans- also very large douches
Leafs fans- Some of the biggest douches around

:closed:

Kirbs17
04-07-2006, 10:11 AM
I'll cheer for anything that isnt Toronto. They have sent out shitty teams for years now, and they think they are the centre of the universe. I love watching TSN or CBC and have the analysts saying they need to do this and this to get back into a playoff spot. They are so damn ignorant they wont admit they can't get into the playoffs. Im fuckin happy that they are the only canadian team (aside from Van city, but we'll see what happens there) That arent making the playoffs. About time the rest of Canada acknowledges that every other team is better than them.

I dont mind the greasers fans, because Im pretty positive that thats how we rub off on them. Also, If Edmonton didnt pick up that shit brick Roloson, they would be a dangerous team. Vancouver needs to change things up a bit, Crawford needs to go.

However, :goflames: . They've been playing very well lately, points in 4 of 5 straight games, and they look poised to capture the division, the first in what, 8 years or more?

Aleks
04-07-2006, 10:33 AM
If Flames lose there is no chance in hell of me cheering for Coilers or the Cannots. I would cheer for Ottawa or Montreal.

I don't understand how someone can cheer for the most fierce rival in the division no matter what! :dunno:

88CRX
04-07-2006, 10:40 AM
The only Canadian teams that I would even consider cheering for is Ottawa.

Edmonton and Vancouver can eat shit and I hope they both miss the playoffs this season.

chong_wallace
04-07-2006, 10:49 AM
I cheer for canadian teams because there is a sense of nationalism, and a sense of pride that this is a canadian team competing for something.

sure, the fans at different cities are douchbags...but calgary's also known throughout the nhl as a crowd of bandwagoners, so who cares about the fans, focus on the hockey!!!

:goflames: :goflames: :goflames: :goflames: :goflames: :goflames: :goflames: :goflames:

ninjak84
04-07-2006, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by bspot
Why?

Because I spend a ton of time in Vancouver and Edmonton.... and Montreal & Toronto are as Canadian as it gets. Ottowa is kicking ass this year too. What's wrong with that?
I don't count how many American vs Canadian players are on a team, and I'm not an angry prick that watches games just to hate on a team and hope they lose.
People support teams for different reasons.

Enjoying the playoffs is a wicked time. Friends and beers sure beats sitting around by yourself, mumbling about how everyone on earth is a 'douchebag' because your team lost.

HyperZell
04-07-2006, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by chong_wallace
I cheer for canadian teams because there is a sense of nationalism, and a sense of pride that this is a canadian team competing for something.

sure, the fans at different cities are douchbags...but calgary's also known throughout the nhl as a crowd of bandwagoners, so who cares about the fans, focus on the hockey!!!

:goflames: :goflames: :goflames: :goflames: :goflames: :goflames: :goflames: :goflames:

The thing is, is that the NHL is a city-to-city (and some states) competition. It's not Canada vs USA, so there's almost no point cheering for a 'Canadian' or 'American' team solely because of the country they are based in. They don't call it 'The Canadian Senators', or even 'The Canadian Ottawa Senators', so really it's an empty well to draw national pride from. That being said, sports are usually devoid of logic, and people feel sports, not think them. So if you gain a sense of national pride, great. To me, it's all about the team and city you identify with.

I couldn't care about Edmonton and Vancouver making the playoffs one way or the other, and I sure as hell want the Leafs to miss it.

calgarygts
04-07-2006, 11:04 AM
A serious question for all you guys - why do you cheer for the flames? And this is not something to be replied with 'look at the standings douchebag'. Have you ever really thought about why it is that you cheer for a particular hockey team over another one? Is it because you were raised around calgary and it's the hometown team? Or is their style of play? Is it that you have always liked a certain player or players and you want to see him/them do well? I was asked this question the other day and it really made me think about why I like the oilers.
I'll give my answer too. I grew up in central alberta where oilers was the team you wanted to win because of the whole home town thing. In the last few years I strayed away from hockey but this year I'm really back into it like never before. I really enjoy watching the oilers because it's really exciting hockey. Usually a very fast pace with lots of open ice and tonnes of offence. Of course I'm a bit biased because of where I grew up but I actually like their brand of hockey and respect most of the players on that team.
That being said I also like watching vancouver play, ottawa without a doubt but toronto not so much. Montreal is okay to watch, but we don't get many games out here. Calgary is hit and miss, but to me it seems like more often than not they're not all that exciting as a team. Kiprusoff is amazing to watch but that's where most of the action is. Phaneuf is also fun to watch, so many skills in different areas of the game.
When it comes to playoffs, if the oilers get knocked out I'll cheer for canadian teams because of national pride. Say what you want about players origins, there is something to be said about pride for the canadian teams doing well.

sputnik
04-07-2006, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by chong_wallace

I dont remember any bluemileboobies.com" or "oilersgirls.com" websites.

Calgary fans PWN all other fans. PERIOD!

bspot
04-07-2006, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by ninjak84

Enjoying the playoffs is a wicked time. Friends and beers sure beats sitting around by yourself, mumbling about how everyone on earth is a 'douchebag' because your team lost.

I agree, and me and my friends have a great time cheering on whoever is playing the Canucks/Oilers. Go Dallas Go!!

I think the rivalry makes it so much more enjoyable, because instead of being indifferent to games I now have someone to root for. Watching Minnesota come back to beat Vancouver in 7 was AWESOME! Calgary didn't even make the playoffs that year and I still loved it. Anaheim had a great run too. I cheer for classy organizations that aren't cocky. I'm a sucker for underdogs too. I really like the Habs as they were not much of a team for quite a while (I used to hate them, but the nords left, and I switched Quebec teams ;)). I've always been a fan of the Capitals, still am even though they suck.

Why I'm a Flames fan?

I grew up in Calgary and my Dad introduced me to hockey. He was a Flames fan. I'm pretty sure that most kids will follow their dad's choice (but not all). My dad took me to San Jose game 7 in 1995 when we lost in triple overtime, and after seeing that game and the sad feeling it left me with I really started watching a lot of hockey waiting for things to go the other way with my team winning in game 7 OT. Boy did I pick the wrong time to become a huge Flames fan! 7 years with no playoffs, a lot of crap teams, a lot of high hopes with nothing to show for. I had season tickets for 4 years during that 7 year drought too, picked them up in the save the Flames campaign. I'll tell you though, sitting through all those years of dissapointment made last season so much better than it was for any bandwagon fan that switches to the winning team all the time. I almost had a heart attack in Game 7 OT vs Vancouver and I'm not sure if I've ever been that happy from watching a sporting event. Its fun to finally be back on top and you're damn right I'll give it to the Oilers fans/Canucks fans that were trash talking me for 7 years before. I deserve it dammit.

88CRX
04-07-2006, 11:19 AM
I grew up in Regina and was a big Mario/Pittsburgh Penguins fan growing up.

When we moved here 8 years ago I started going to Flames games and I was hooked. They played that gritty, physical game. Yes they sucked, but whatever. But with players like Iginla, Gauthier, Brathwaite, Morris (knew him from his Regina Pat days), Savard and Bure I was hooked. And if just took off from there :dunno:

Now my friends tell me its an obsession. I went to all home playoffs games last season except for 2. I think I've only missed watching 2 or 3 flames games all this season and I've been to maybe 30 games at the dome. Yes, its an obsestion.

Eat. Sleep. Flames Hockey. :thumbsup:

88CRX
04-07-2006, 11:22 AM
Couple other teams I'll be cheering for these playoffs are Atlanta (if they make it), NY Rangers (I like Jagr), and I like Pittsburgh (i know i know lol)

Aleks
04-07-2006, 11:22 AM
you guys should see fans in europe. soccer fans over there get into fights with people who wear different jersies. you support your team and hate all others, not matter what country they are from. haha It's just not as intense over here.:)

Nissanaddict
04-07-2006, 11:27 AM
Great post. I'm a Flames fan for these reasons. Born in Winnipeg, Jets fan there. I've always cheered for Canadian teams too though (I was sad when Vancouver lost in 94). Jets left, that sucked...cheered for them till most of the former jets were gone. Moved to Calgary in 98, and I'm a Flames fan till now (although I didn't go to many games in 98, but I was like 12, so I couldn't afford it really) About playing....I LOVE our play style. It just seems to fit together like a puzzle. Sutter's probably a huge factor in that, but the way it all works. our #1 line is starting to produce nicely, and has gelled real good. Donovan is the man when you want the puck in the offensive zone, and often even draws penalties doing that. Lombardi and Kobasew are freakin fast. Lundmark's been a nice addition. Huselius stick work kicks ass. Iggy, while underproducing compared to last season, plays with so much damn heart. Phaneuf? Is a VERY freaking entertaining player in all aspects. Kipper? Nothing needs to be said (except maybe a black knight quote. "NONE SHALL PASS!!!" McCarty, has been a quiet, but great addition to the team. Yelle's balls to block shots....each player is different, and they all are coming together REAL well as of late. Plus, they are typically nice to their fans (even though he's not a Flame anymore, I'll give Commodore props for sticking around at the airport after they all returned from Tampa game 7) he signed our flag...we didn't even ask. He did.

hjr
04-07-2006, 11:49 AM
born in calgary. first hockey games were in the saddle dome. of course they were terrible and i was young, but i still have an affinity for calgary. Having lived in edmonton for about 12 years now (my hockey years) i like the oilers. I got to see the revival of cujo in spectacular fashion (beating dallas or colorado in first rounds). that was amazing. The oil have had some issues as of late, but this season has gone pretty damn well i think. other than their lack of enthusiams that happens some times, i really enjoy the strong offensive play that characterises the oilers. rarely are the games not exciting.

so ya, my list is probably oilers - flames - ottawa - montreal - vancouver (toronto is not on the list). I dont care tooo much if folks think im a bandwagoner or not supporting the home team enough. i like hockey, i enjoy canadian teams succeeding, and damn it, we need the cup north of the border again.

i dont really mind people having a specific team they like, but i do have a problem when they tell me who i should or shouldnt like.

i got to mention, i realllly loved going to the calgary 88's b-ball games. that was for me, at a young age, more fun than a flames or stamps game. too bad cdn teams cant compete in the nba

Nissanaddict
04-07-2006, 12:38 PM
The cup north of the border is a huge deal. This is the country it belongs in, and this is where I want it.

Despair*
04-07-2006, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
you guys should see fans in europe. soccer fans over there get into fights with people who wear different jersies. you support your team and hate all others, not matter what country they are from. haha It's just not as intense over here.:)

That level of Fanfare is way too extreme. No reason to beat someone up because they like and cheer for another team. Reminds me of the movie Green Street Hooligans with Elijah Woods. Quite shocking to see how extreme fans have become across the world.

cman
04-07-2006, 03:15 PM
I cheer for the Flames because I was born and raised in Calgary and have been attending their games since 1992.
I cheer for Edmonton secondly because they are also Alberta stationed and I have many friends from Edmonton....ONLY if the Flames are 100% out though.

For extreme fans download the documentary "Hooligans and thugs". fucking crazy shit!

Kirbs17
04-07-2006, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by calgarygts
A serious question for all you guys - why do you cheer for the flames? And this is not something to be replied with 'look at the standings douchebag'.

Moved to Alberta in 1990, saw a Canadiens vs Flames game, Patrick Roy was in net, and I was hooked. I loved both teams ( well, the canadiens until Roy left, than the avalanche because of Roy). The Flames have always had good style out on the ice, and because of my mom working for the Flames owner, i've met just about every flame from 1990-Current, and they're all great people.

skyline19
04-10-2006, 06:09 PM
i was born and rasied in Calgary but my dad has always been a Canucks fan. when i was 5 or 6 i remeber going to a flames game when the Nucks were in town and the only thing i remeber was Pavel Bure going coast-to-coast and scoring. i have been hooked to the Canucks ever since.

If in the event that my cancuks do not make the playoffs i will be cheering for Ottawa for sure.

Mr. Burns
04-10-2006, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by cman
I cheer for the Flames because I was born and raised in Calgary and have been attending their games since 1992.
I cheer for Edmonton secondly because they are also Alberta stationed and I have many friends from Edmonton....ONLY if the Flames are 100% out though.

Exactly what I was going to say... I will also add that if you don't cheer for your home team you are a douche.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I mean your HOME team, not necessarily where you live.

DelSoln
04-10-2006, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Kirbs17

Patrick Roy was in net, and I was hooked.

Haha enough said. :thumbsup: