PDA

View Full Version : the new Honda Fit

HiSpec
04-07-2006, 12:19 PM
I'm not sure if the new Honda Fit is at the dealership yet.
But whats the modding potential of this vehicle?

I'm in the market to purchase a new econo-vehicle for my new job. And i'm really leaning towards the Fit.

snow_daniel
04-07-2006, 12:22 PM
I heard that Calgary Honda got 2 in already
Basic and top model

HiSpec
04-07-2006, 12:24 PM
is this vehicle a high demand? I remmeber when the MZ3 just came out, the dealership have stacks of pre-order invoice, I wonder if this is the case with Honda Fit.

snow_daniel
04-07-2006, 12:29 PM
Personally I LOVE this car:drool: :thumbsup:
If you got a Calgary SUN today inside of the Auto Market you will found more detail about this car

Mr_ET
04-07-2006, 12:33 PM
came out on the 4th

A_3
04-07-2006, 12:39 PM
I saw eight new Fit's in a row drive by me on 37th street the other day. Presumably heading to a dealership around that area. Pretty neat little car. Don't know about the modding potential, but definetly a fairly decent daily driver.

Dren
04-07-2006, 01:08 PM
looks like a better car than the toyota yaris. better resale i bet too.

saiyajin
04-07-2006, 01:22 PM
saw it at the petro at sunridge when i was filling up
talked to the technician guy driving it haha its a sweet car said its about 17 or so for top model...not bad at all
:thumbsup:

A790
04-07-2006, 04:21 PM
Good looking car, nice interior, drives pretty decent.

But, whoever told you that you could get the top model for $17K was flat out LYING.

dino_martini
04-07-2006, 04:23 PM
Honda West has a few in, they look pretty nice. I saw a whole bunch at the Space Center this weekend in the old army base. Looked like a honda test drive event or something?

dino_martini
04-07-2006, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by A_3
I saw eight new Fit's in a row drive by me on 37th street the other day. Presumably heading to a dealership around that area. Pretty neat little car. Don't know about the modding potential, but definetly a fairly decent daily driver.

Saw that, I also saw some signs that had directions like this:

Honda
---->

looked like some test drive event or something.

CKY
04-07-2006, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by A790

But, whoever told you that you could get the top model for $17K was flat out LYING.

:werd: the sport with a auto gear box will cost you 22k. After the official prices were released I decided to go for a Mazda 3 instead.

KGB
04-07-2006, 08:03 PM
for the people that saw honda signs around mount royal and saw a line of about 7to 10 fits driving around 37st a few days ago was the Calgary Honda and Honda West's Ride and Drive Event for employees only. Because i work at Calgary Honda i had the opportunity to attend this event, basically we got a chance to evaluate Fit and compare it against its competition such as Toyota Yaris, Hynadai Accent , Suzuki Areo, Chevy Aveo etc. They also set up a road corse where we got to push each car to its limits to find out each cars handling characteristics so on and so forth. Originally the event was going to happen at race city on the road course but we had to do it in the Army Barracks big parking lot. Results!!!!
Honda Fit beat every other competior flat out in every category in my opinion:
Interior Design:
Accelaration (comes in 5spd MT: 5spd Automatic: paddle shifter on the steering wheel as well in the sort package option)

Ergonomics(this car has so much interior room because gas tank sits in the middle of the car as opposed to the back near the rear axle, also seat configuration is insane lets just say u can fit a full size kayak in it, thats why they are called FIT:) )

Handling( the competition was not even close, well toyota yaris handled good but not as nice as Fit, braking is astonishing on Fit considering it has drums in the back)

All in all the car is impressive, if i was in a market for a car like this i would drive the Fit and the competition. Thats the best way to decide and make it easy.

Weapon_R
04-07-2006, 08:08 PM
Wow, that expensive?? I figured Honda finally had a 15k car to compete with the Yaris, but apparently it's just a civic replacement while the civic moves up in price.

A790
04-07-2006, 08:17 PM
Is it a good car? Absolutely it is. I would NEVER pay anything over 20K for it, and at that price you get one that's hardly optioned.

Boo on Honda for bad pricing.

saiyajin
04-08-2006, 01:29 AM

hah guess it was too good to be true guess that guy didnt know wtf he was talking bout...was just sent out to fill the gas :nut:

HiSpec
04-08-2006, 02:03 AM
yeah i read in other forums that Fit outperformed other competitors with flying colors...

Now I have another issue, this car will be my long term vehicle. Possibly until I get married, I will be keeping this car.
I noticed that this car is low on power comparing to other cars in the same category.
I was looking at the new GTI. I know i know i know... its not quite the same class of car. But if I am planning to keep this car for quite a while, might as well consider an alternative that will keep me more happier with something with more power.

I know that the GTI will require premium gas, more expensive maintenance, more expensive monthly payment, more expensive to tune (yet easier to find parts), but........ more powerful and fun?

Currently the Fit is optioned out at $26150, while the the GTI is optioned out at $34000.

Now do you guys think paying the extra 8K for the GTI justifies for the extra 91 hp and the more "expensive requirements"??

CKY
04-08-2006, 05:38 AM
I think if you're looking at teh GTI you should also look at the Civic Si. That is the car that most people draw comparisons to against a GTI. IMO if you have the money to spend a GTI or Si gives you as much bang for buck as you get while having a blast. Even though they're not exactly what you'd call economy cars.

HiSpec
04-08-2006, 01:01 PM
i was thinking of that too, because GTI and Si have lots of potential in terms of performance and other comfort "luxuries".

However, I would like to have something more original when I plan to mod the vehicle in the long run. I'm sure many of you have seen that white Toyota Echo around. With lots of upgrades and moditification. Its not fast. But fast is not my main priority, its fun and being unique that are my priorities.

But one of the draw back for me is the Fit does not have sunroof.... i love the sun!!

dino_martini
04-08-2006, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by HiSpec
Currently the Fit is optioned out at $26150, while the the GTI is optioned out at $34000.

Fit at 26K? spend the extra and get a GTI.

AsianCaucasian
04-08-2006, 01:12 PM
Test drove the Honda Fit the other day at Crowfoot Village. The sport model is not 26k :p with everything topped out its 21k If you try to use the website and add all the options it will add up to 26 but the package options actually replace the individual options.

A790
04-08-2006, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by AsianCaucasian
Test drove the Honda Fit the other day at Crowfoot Village. The sport model is not 26k :p with everything topped out its 21k If you try to use the website and add all the options it will add up to 26 but the package options actually replace the individual options.

At T and T it came to 27,750 all fees in and out the door.

HiSpec
04-08-2006, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini

Fit at 26K? spend the extra and get a GTI.

thanks for your reply... so you consider the extra few thousands is worth the GTI or Si?

yeah, i had to add other options other then the "car buff" package. Which i do understand is a combo of a few option at the discounted price.... but i wasn't near to 27750... unless there are other fees that i don't know about...

A790
04-08-2006, 02:23 PM

thanks for your reply... so you consider the extra few thousands is worth the GTI or Si?

Get the Si. You'll be much happier with it.

HiSpec
04-08-2006, 02:36 PM
yeah i thought so too, probably slighty cheaper then GTI. But man the rates at Honda right now are crazy compare to other companies... and the line up for a Si is nuts!!!

Impreza
04-08-2006, 02:43 PM

What don't you like about the GTI? Is it because you can't justify the difference in price between the Si and GTI?

HiSpec
04-08-2006, 05:20 PM
what the difference in price between the Si and GTI?

dino_martini
04-08-2006, 05:25 PM

Spend the extra and get GTI or Si. I drove by the Space Center in curry barracks and the Honda Fits were still there. There arent that nice looking I dont think. Between GTI or Si, I guess it depends two doors or four?

HiSpec
04-08-2006, 10:16 PM
the GTI is a 2 door vehicle

jtsimaras
04-30-2006, 12:49 AM

Holy someone was quoting you wrong--- I was quoted 22400 tax in for the sport.

HiSpec
04-30-2006, 08:24 PM
Which Honda is the best to deal with? Or any salesman specific that I should talk to? Cuz this is my first time buy a car, and i don't know how to deal with them.

jtsimaras
04-30-2006, 10:23 PM
Which Honda is the best to deal with? Or any salesman specific that I should talk to? Cuz this is my first time buy a car, and i don't know how to deal with them.
I've heard T&T is pretty good plus they have free oil change included for five years I believe. If i sell my 06 Impreza I plan to go to T&T. The best salesman is one that is not pushy and lets you decide on your own.

brandon
04-30-2006, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by jtsimaras

I've heard T&T is pretty good plus they have free oil change included for five years I believe. If i sell my 06 Impreza I plan to go to T&T. The best salesman is one that is not pushy and lets you decide on your own.

If you do decide to goto T and T, pm me as I know a guy who will give you an amazing deal.

jtsimaras
05-01-2006, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by brandon

If you do decide to goto T and T, pm me as I know a guy who will give you an amazing deal.

Thanks bud.

gpomp
05-01-2006, 12:16 AM

i find that the 5 year free oil change is a scam. figure 2-4 oil changes in one year at $30 each. that's $300-600 over a five year period which is not that much.

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-01-2006, 12:35 AM
high river honda gives the best deals if your willing to go for the drive... t&t is decent... but everytime i go they're fairly pushy... couldn't even get out of the car before they tried selling me a new one

brandon
05-01-2006, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by gpomp

i find that the 5 year free oil change is a scam. figure 2-4 oil changes in one year at $30 each. that's $300-600 over a five year period which is not that much.

But how is it a scam? T&T will offer any car at the exact same price as any other honda dealer but with this included.

It is just an added bonus for purchasing a car there.

gpomp
05-01-2006, 01:36 AM
ok, maybe not a scam. but it's not as great as most people would presume.

Xtrema
05-01-2006, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by gpomp

BTW, oil change interval has changed for most Honda to around 8K to 10K to reduce dealer workload. So it isn't a big of deal anymore.

As for the Fit, the sport model is pushing a bit toward what people are willing to pay for a cheap car. While the magic seat is pretty unique and similar equipped Yaris is actually about the same. It's still hard to justify pay over $20K for such a car when Mazda3, Civic, Mazda 5, Impreza is just a couple thousands more.

heavyD
05-01-2006, 09:11 AM

Don't listen to guys like this. The C&D & R&T compared the GTi and the Si and the GTi didn't edge but owned the Si in both comparisons. Much nicer interior, better engine for everyday driving, better looking. The VW may not be as good reliability-wise but since it's a new car you have warranty so that's not a major factor.

Xtrema
05-01-2006, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

Don't listen to guys like this. The C&D & R&T compared the GTi and the Si and the GTi didn't edge but owned the Si in both comparisons. Much nicer interior, better engine for everyday driving, better looking. The VW may not be as good reliability-wise but since it's a new car you have warranty so that's not a major factor.

Warranty is like insurance, it's there to cover your ass but you still rather not having to use it.

GTI is a nicer ride but cost more to start with and probably retain less on resale. Neither is bad on performance but Honda seems to be a better value.

GTI's turbo with DSG is a dream tho.

heavyD
05-01-2006, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

It's not like the VW is garenteed to have more problems though. My brothers 1999 A4 Quattro has had less problems than is 1997 Integra GSi.

And you nailed it on the head though. The GTi with DSG is so sweet you will never get that satisfaction out of the Si and you can't expect a vehicle with DSG to cost the same as one that doesn't have it, plus the GTi has a much more luxurious interior & 18" wheels.

heavyD
05-01-2006, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
It won those comparasons based purely on how much more room it had and the interior feel.

Actually the engine and DSG transmission were the largest reason the GTi won both comparisons. Most drivers prefer the 2.0L turbo with direct injection & DSG transmission is drawing rave reviews, so much that Mitsubishi is looking into using a version of this transmission in the EVO X.

Looks are subjective but after seeing a bunch of Si's on the streets I'm already starting to yawn & the car just came out.:nut:

Xtrema
05-01-2006, 10:47 AM
Looks are subjective but after seeing a bunch of Si's on the streets I'm already starting to yawn & the car just came out.:nut:

There is no getting away from that since everyone's got one and looks the more of the same from DX to Si. The only down side of having a Civic.

jtsimaras
05-01-2006, 11:40 AM

Edmunds gave the the civic si the edge in this comparo.

And in this comparo the Civic si smoked the GTi in the slalom and was quicker in the quarter mile.
All i can say is they replaced the somewhat ok good looking GTi with a good crappy looking new Gti. (My opinion)

jtsimaras
05-01-2006, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Warranty is like insurance, it's there to cover your ass but you still rather not having to use it.

GTI is a nicer ride but cost more to start with and probably retain less on resale. Neither is bad on performance but Honda seems to be a better value.

Just a comment---warranty issues are a pain in the rear when you have to use them.

I would rather buy a crappy boring bullit proof car over an awesome performing nice looking car flagged with warranty issues.

heavyD
05-01-2006, 11:46 AM
Edmunds gave the the civic si the edge in this comparo.

Edmunds???? Come on. C&D & R&T are much better automotive authorities. The are pretty equal in a straight line & on a street start 0-60 the GTi is a half a second faster and that shows more real world performance, but yes the Civic does handle better but 98% of people never put cars like this through those type of handling paces.

You may not like the looks of the GTi but alot of people aren't exactly enamored with the styling of the new Civic also. It's personal preference. Throw in the fact the the Civic will be the highest volume selling car in Canada means that you have the distinction of owning a 'me-too' car.

heavyD
05-01-2006, 11:48 AM
I would rather buy a crappy boring bullit proof car over an awesome performing nice looking car flagged with warranty issues.

So you will take a Civic over a Ferarri.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

guessboi
05-01-2006, 12:26 PM
^ haha. another battle with HeavyD.
for me. GTi > Si. :D
plus there's so many civics out there. :nut:

Mr_ET
05-01-2006, 12:32 PM

dude re read what you just wrote...

you'd rather have a car that is not as reliable?

heavyD
05-01-2006, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Mr_ET

dude re read what you just wrote...

you'd rather have a car that is not as reliable?

Dude, I already own a car that is supposedly not as reliable. Thing is it has been just as reliable. Honda's have problems too and have sold a few lemons.

heavyD
05-01-2006, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by guessboi
^ haha. another battle with HeavyD.
for me. GTi > Si. :D
plus there's so many civics out there. :nut:

Ha Ha. I'm done on the Civic vs GTi comparison as the Honda fanboys run rampant at this site and outnumber people that just love cars.

Back on the topic of the Fit. It looks to be a great little car but the mod potential will be limited to most likely intakes and suspension due to lack of power (I'm not sure of the engine swap potential) but it is supposedly to be pretty sporty stock and has a nicer interior than the Civic. The high price is a little scary though.:(

jtsimaras
05-01-2006, 02:25 PM

Edmunds???? Come on. C&D & R&T are much better automotive authorities. The are pretty equal in a straight line & on a street start 0-60 the GTi is a half a second faster and that shows more real world performance, but yes the Civic does handle better but 98% of people never put cars like this through those type of handling paces.

You may not like the looks of the GTi but alot of people aren't exactly enamored with the styling of the new Civic also. It's personal preference. Throw in the fact the the Civic will be the highest volume selling car in Canada means that you have the distinction of owning a 'me-too' car.

What is wrong with Edmunds?---I find the reviews more informative and non-commercial like than any magazine out there. Plus he is the lemonaid guy. For me I prefer like the new Si lokk over The VW---I'm not saying that everybody else has to agree with me.

jtsimaras
05-01-2006, 02:26 PM

So you will take a Civic over a Ferarri.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

sure why not it--is 1 % of the price and I will take that other 250 grand and invest it.

Better yet put 50 grand into your civic and knock the sux off any stock ferrari!