PDA

View Full Version : Review: 2006 Kia Rio5

A790
04-07-2006, 01:28 PM
I’m not an economy car lover. I find them bland, unattractive, and a bore to drive. However, it’s hard to dispute the amazing fuel economy and convenience they can deliver.

These days the small-car/econobox market is flooding with entries, with every major manufacturer offering something for you to take interest too. Chev has the Aveo, Honda has the new fit, and Toyota has the Yaris. Moving away from the Japanese brands, what else is offered? Kia has the Rio and Rio5, and Hyundai has the Accent.

Now that I think of it I don’t think I’ve ever driven a Kia, ever. Heck, I’d never really even looked at one twice. Why not take one out for a test drive?

INITIAL IMPRESSION

My first thought upon seeing the Red 5 door hatchback was that it looked like every other econo-hatchback. It wasn’t good looking, but it wasn’t unattractive either. It was decently equipped, but they were no features that separated it from anyone else.

Fit and finish seemed to be pretty good- there were no panel gaps that were excessive or proportions that weren’t square.

The body was adorned with some plastic trim, but when the car starts at $14,990 that should be expected. The tires were small – 14” kind of small – and the exhaust was the size of my pencil. But, then again, with only 110HP and a reported 51 mpg I don’t want bigger tires or a larger exhaust… I want to be able to drive to Edmonton and back on a tank of gas.

INSIDE THE CAR

The interior of this car is much better than I was expecting, and there is loads of room. It’s a plastic masterpiece in there, but it’s comfortable and attractive. Everything is easy to handle and the buttons are exactly where they should be.

The front buckets were comfortable enough, and there is enough room in the rear that a full grown adult could actually sit there and not nag your ear off the entire length of the ride.

This car, like most of the economy hatchbacks floating around, has excellent visibility. There is not a blind spot to be found.

DRIVING THE CAR

The first thing I will admit is that this car is very smooth. The engine revs up nicely, the transmission is nice and smooth and the shift gates are very well defined. The clutch is easy to operate, and would make an excellent “starter-car” with a manual transmission. As well, the reverse gear is operated with the pull-up button/shift, meaning that if you’re learning you won’t accidentally take out the transmission.

The steering is very responsive, although it is a bit on the touchy side. I found myself sitting a bit higher than I was used to, but I am also 6’2.

The car didn’t roll excessively when I was turning, and I felt comfortable taking corners at decent speeds without worrying about whether or not it was going to flip over. The car sits low enough to the ground that you get a sporty feeling without feeling every bump in the road. I noticed that it is very smooth as you drive it- you don’t feel every bump and crack, and you get a very comfortable ride.

It’s important to note that the car had a bit of pep, but that was also with the manual transmission. I get the very distinct impression that the auto would suck any life this car has straight out of it. Even with the manual this car needs to be wound up to get going anywhere. Sure it’s an economy car, but the 0-60 times on this car must just be brutal!

I’m sure this car could handle hills and probably even survive a trip through the mountains but it’s going to have to work very hard to do it. To be expected, absolutely, but always disappointing when it’s this exaggerated. The Yaris, with a little bet less horsepower, feels like it has more gusto.

However, as gutless as this car is, it’s still fun to drive around with the windows down and radio turned up. Just don’t expect to be winning, or even participating in, any races.

CONCLUSION

The Kia Rio5 is a solid entry into the market at a fantastic price - $18,000 well equipped out the door – and a very formidable contender to the Aveo, Wave, or Yaris.

Though I do recommend the Toyota Yaris over the Rio5, the Rio costs a bit less and offers a fantastic 5 year warranty with 5 year roadside assistance and very competitive financing rates.

If I’ve learned one thing, it’s that Kia is well on their way to making some pretty darn good little cars. If this sounds like it’s for you, I wouldn’t even hesitate to recommend a test drive.

SCORING
Exterior: 3/5
Interior: 3/5
Roominess: 4/5
Driveability: 3.5/5
Overall: 3/5
Overall in segment: 4/5.

The bottom line is that there are better cars out there, but they probably cost more. This Kia never claimed to be something it wasn't, so check it out.

A790
04-07-2006, 09:56 PM
Haha no one has anything to say about this car?

Poor Kia :(

Supa Dexta
04-08-2006, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by A790
Haha no one has anything to say about this car?

Poor Kia :(

Ok, I'll agree... Poor kia...

:D