PDA

View Full Version : Review: 2007 Honda Fit

A790
04-07-2006, 02:44 PM
The econo-box segment is just buzzing with activity. I mean buzzing quite literally, as when these cars drive by that’s all you hear!

Having reviewed the Toyota Yaris and Kia Rio5, I felt it only necessary to take out Honda’s latest offering and see how it compares. I’ve driven quite a few Hondas, have owned two of them personally, and am pretty biased. I like Honda, I really do. When I first saw this car I wasn’t particular enthused about it, but then again, who gets excited about an economy car?

INITIAL IMPRESSION

This Honda starts low (just under $15,000 for the base) and gets all the way up to $19,500 without any options for the Sport! That’s quite the varied price difference, especially considering you can get a fully loaded Kia Rio5 for $18,400 out the door. That $19,500 is before tax and dealer fees.

This has got to be the most expensive economy car, topping the decked out Yaris (which sits at $23,500) at over $26,000 for the Sport with a few options! For that Price we’re getting into Civic Si, Cobalt SS, and Pontiac Pursuit territory!

Since I reviewed a fully loaded Yaris as well as a fully loaded Rio5, I’m going to review this one fully loaded and tipping the scales at $26,175 tax included.

They had only one vehicle in Calgary that was comparable to what I was looking for, and I found myself at T and T to drive it. There’s been a lot of talk about this car, and if you’re interested, don’t expect to be able to negotiate on the price at all. I sure wasn’t able to.

I was repeatedly told that there are less than a dozen of them in Calgary, and with a bit of persistence, I found myself driving one.

INSIDE THE CAR

Compared to the other cars in the segment this interior has them beat, hands down. This interior is unlike anything I’ve ever seen in an economy car before.

The gauge cluster/dash comes together in an attractive, and dare I say it, elegant manner. All the buttons are in their usual places, but they just look so much better being there than in anything else in this segment today.

All the seats are comfortable and have enough room. The front seats hold you in place without being grippy or uncomfortable, and the rear passengers are given a rare and unexpected treat: leg room!

The CD/MP3 player is incorporated into the dash very nicely, and sounds pretty darn good for a stock unit. It looks like an after market deck would, and sounds like it as well. A big point for this little Honda.

DRIVING THE CAR

The car, with just under 110HP, goes with a little bounce in its step. It’s not fast, and it actually feels slower than the Yaris, but it definitely isn’t a turtle on the road either. It beats out the Rio5 in terms of drivability, but as I said, is just edged out by the Toyota Yaris.

The car feels very solid as you drive in typical Honda fashion. No squeaks, rattles, wiggles, bonks, or otherwise. It is actually surprisingly quiet inside the cabin with the windows down, and stays that way when they’re open. You get the usual wind, but you don’t get the constant buzz of the engine.

The engine itself is quite capable, and is also quite quiet when you aren’t driving the poop out of it. It revs up nicely, without sounding raspy or out of breath, and is able to propel the car around relatively quickly and without much complaint.

One thing I will say is that this Honda has suspension that is just a bit too soft for my personal taste, which means that it’s probably on par for the majority of the buyers out there. Turning yields a bit more body roll than the Yaris, but less than the Rio5. Keep in mind that neither the Yaris nor Rio5 have much body-roll either.

This car’s steering is beautiful, a sheer work of art. As is the transmission/clutch. Just amazing. I firmly stand behind my belief that Honda makes the best manual transmissions around.

My test ride was cut short, however, as the salesman didn’t want to be out too long or put too many kilometers on it. I got the distinct impression that the car I was driving was already spoken for.

CONCLUSION

A great car, yes. A fun car? It could be. It’s comfortable to be in, nice enough to drive, but expensive to attain. Sure you could get the base model at $15,000, but you still have to pay your dealer fees and taxed on top, pushing that to right around $18,000. For that price you got a loaded Rio5 in your driveway.

Move up a trim level and add a few options and suddenly you’re at $18,500 before taxes. The top model with the “Car Buff” package comes to almost $27,000! $150 for all season floor mats and $150 for a block heater.

As I said earlier, these prices won’t get any cheaper anytime soon as there seems to be a huge demand for this car.

A good contender in the segment, as it was expected from Honda, but not worth the cost in my eyes.

SCORING

Exterior: 4/5
Interior: 4.5/5
Roominess: 3.5/5
Drivability: 4/5
Overall: 4/5
Overall in segment: 4/5 – due to cost.

The bottom line is that this is a good car, that performs and handles exactly as you’d expect it too. However, it is also the most expensive car in the segment. For almost $10,000 less than a loaded sport Fit you can get a loaded Rio5, and $3,500 less gets you a loaded Yaris RS.

I was lucky to get a test drive in the Fit, and it perfomed pretty much how it promised it would.

But, would I buy one over the competition? Maybe, but only if the price was more down to earth.

The basic model costs $15,000 before tax and literally is bare bones - no power anything, no air, and a 2 speaker radio. Jumping up to the next trim (the LX) brings the brice to $17,500 and includes basic options and not much else. The sport, starting at $19,500, is the only Fit I'd even consider buying because of the options.

Conversely, a fully loaded Yaris with options that most people wouldn't even bother with (lowering springs) comes to $23,500 tax in and out the door. A similarly optioned Fit comes to $26,500 out the door.

Which one drives better? Of the two, I preferred the Yaris as it seemed to just have a bit more get up and go. The lowering springs also helped nicely in the handleing department. That's not saying that the Fit doesn't drive or handle well, I just preferred the Yaris.

Which one looks better? That's completely subjective, as I do like the look of the Fit with the optional body panels. In the same manner though, I do like the look of the Yaris with the lowering springs/rims. Of the two, I'd probably pick the Fit if the Yaris wasn't dropped.

Which one has a nicer interior? The Fit, hands down. Toyota needs to get their stuff together and get rid of that ugly fabric.

Which one would I buy? The Yaris. The Fit just isn't worth the premium in price, in my opinion. Go out and drive one for yourself (if they'll let you) and see what I mean.

CKY
04-07-2006, 04:38 PM
Good review, and I think Honda did miss the price range by about $3000s, and for the subcompact market that they're aiming for. That is alot.

Bill Cosby
04-07-2006, 04:54 PM
good read, a790 you like typing eh?

A790
04-07-2006, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Bill Cosby
good read, a790 you like typing eh?

I test drive about a car a week during the springtime. I have reviews pending of the Civic Si, new Mustang GT convertible, and a special collaberation with Vegabond coming!

djayz
04-07-2006, 08:43 PM
nice review...was looking at getting my hands on one of these instead of a civic but at that price i think ill pass

Boostn
04-07-2006, 09:10 PM
Very informative review. The thing I hate about the Yaris is the location of its instrument cluster. I don't think I could ever get used to it. But with the exception of that, it's a great little econo-box. The Fit will definitely be a worthy competitor, I'll have to schedule a test drive once they get more of them in. A Fit sport with the optional 16" rims would be :bigpimp:

A790
04-07-2006, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Boostn
Very informative review. The thing I hate about the Yaris is the location of its instrument cluster. I don't think I could ever get used to it. But with the exception of that, it's a great little econo-box. The Fit will definitely be a worthy competitor, I'll have to schedule a test drive once they get more of them in. A Fit sport with the optional 16" rims would be :bigpimp:

I've asked around about it because it baffles me too, and apparently you do get used to it just like anything else. I question some of the decisions Toyota made regarding the interior fabric and guage cluster location, but with the way the car handles and drives I'm willing to live with it.

Howl
04-08-2006, 01:29 AM
Personally I think the Honda Civic DX-G is the best deal out there right now, my gf just bought one for $22 000, not completely loaded but has most power options.

A790
04-08-2006, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Howl
Personally I think the Honda Civic DX-G is the best deal out there right now, my gf just bought one for $22 000, not completely loaded but has most power options.

The Fit is competing for the subcompact economy car market. The market where the customers expect 40+ mpg in the city. The problem is that it's way over its price range.

Si_FlyGuy
04-08-2006, 09:34 AM
Very good review. It'll be nice to see some photos incorporated too.

A790
04-08-2006, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy
Very good review. It'll be nice to see some photos incorporated too.

I'll bring my digi in my next ones.

Aleks
04-08-2006, 12:18 PM
Interesting to see you prefer yaris to fit.
just for comparison C&D did a big test and this is how they came out:

1 Honda Fit
2 Nissan Versa
3 Kia Rio
4 Toyota Yaris
5 Hyundai Accent

It their reviews they really didn't like the handling of the yaris at all. Just goes to show, everyone should get out there and test cars for themselves.

A790
04-08-2006, 01:31 PM
Absolutely. I write a review based on how I enjoyed the car, and based on how I compared it to the competition.

As far as I'm concerned the Yaris and the Fit are neck and neck for different reasons. I personally prefer how the Yaris looks on the outside, and how it rode/drove. However, the Fit is a much more attractive vehicle inside and is possibly more versatile.

Vagabond142
04-08-2006, 03:19 PM
I should have a Fit reviewed by next weekend, if T&T get back to me on availability :thumbsup: Then we'll have a comparo.

Boostn
04-08-2006, 11:54 PM
How's the hatch space like when the rear seats aren't folded down? While you're transporting 4-5 ppl hopefully there's still enough room for a reasonable amount of stuff in the back ie groceries etc...

FiveFreshFish
04-09-2006, 12:12 AM
Thanks for posting your review.

Some photos here (http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/cc/07fit.htm).

FiveFreshFish
04-09-2006, 12:31 AM
This is my favorite feature.

:thumbsup:

djayz
04-09-2006, 01:00 AM
saw one driving around near visions today in the NE
i dont like the shape or style they used
it seriously looks like an mpv which is a minivan and looks like tipping this thing wouldnt be to hard from the height

very nice interior tho...

A790
04-09-2006, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by djayz
[Bvery nice interior tho... [/B]

You said it friend :)

Xtrema
04-10-2006, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Boostn
How's the hatch space like when the rear seats aren't folded down? While you're transporting 4-5 ppl hopefully there's still enough room for a reasonable amount of stuff in the back ie groceries etc...

You won't be carrying 5 people in a Fit.

Trunk space is no different than other vehicles of this size. The only trick out thing is the magic seat.

heavyD
04-10-2006, 09:05 AM
I read the C&D review and they really liked the Fit. It looks like a great little car but $27K for a subcompact is pushing it. I also find it interesting that the Fit gets a far superior dash layout compared to the Civic. It's like the group that designed the Civic interior aimed to do something different & they succeeded in making an interior that looks destined for a vehicle such as an Aztec while the Fit design group aimed for a modest restyle of the traditional Civic interior that was one of the best in the industry.

Dren
04-10-2006, 01:44 PM
not a bad car. good for 4 people. wonder how it would be in the snow.

Xtrema
04-10-2006, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
I read the C&D review and they really liked the Fit. It looks like a great little car but $27K for a subcompact is pushing it. I also find it interesting that the Fit gets a far superior dash layout compared to the Civic. It's like the group that designed the Civic interior aimed to do something different & they succeeded in making an interior that looks destined for a vehicle such as an Aztec while the Fit design group aimed for a modest restyle of the traditional Civic interior that was one of the best in the industry.

Fit is already 3 years old, explain the design style.

The Civic interoir isn't that bad once you get used to it. Everything is at the tip of your finger like the 7th gen and the dual dash isn't as bad once you get behind the wheel. I actually keep my eyes on the road more with speedo already in plain sight.

BTW, Fit is priced about $2K less than a similarly equipped Civic. MSRP of $16K-$20K. It is a bit much for a starter car but you do get more than a similarly priced Yaris.

Space/brand is the selling point. If you want cheap, you can go for a Rio 5 or Caliber (which I'm surprise it starts at $16K).

heavyD
04-10-2006, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Fit is already 3 years old, explain the design style.

The Civic interoir isn't that bad once you get used to it. Everything is at the tip of your finger like the 7th gen and the dual dash isn't as bad once you get behind the wheel. I actually keep my eyes on the road more with speedo already in plain sight.

It may work once you get used to it such as the center layouts that Toyota & Saturn use but doesn't change the fact that it's an eyesore.