PDA

View Full Version : Whats with all the skylines for sale?

Pages : [1] 2

renegade54
04-07-2006, 03:25 PM
Im just wondering how come on canadatrader i can see many a skyline for sale now. all these people go through the trouble of importing one only to turn around within a couple months to sell it.?? Im just curious if they are doing this to try and make money or if there is some sort of problem with these imported cars?? ( most likely from import concern.) iv heard ghost stories about people bringing in a car only to have the engine go right away and having to drop an extra bankroll just to get the shit rolling.

:confused: :confused:

95EagleAWD
04-07-2006, 03:26 PM
I, myself, would never be able to use a RHD car every day.

A790
04-07-2006, 03:40 PM
There are 13 Skylines in the trader for sale in Alberta, and a bunch of them are from the same dealership.

I don't see how that's reflective of any significant trend? Two of them are from Import Concern, and four are from Fine Rides. As a matter of fact, 10 of them are from one dealer or another.

mshaw
04-07-2006, 03:43 PM
yeah why would u think they are all from import concern, i got a silvia from them last yr and didnt have a single problem with it at all, it was a sweet car

A790
04-07-2006, 04:22 PM
What's up with all the MX6's for sale? :rolleyes:

Grip172
04-07-2006, 04:22 PM
meh, to me, skylines are a phase:rolleyes:

A790
04-07-2006, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Grip172
meh, to me, skylines are a phase:rolleyes:

Probably, but I'd still rock a nice GTR over a Lude (no offense). It's personal taste, and it might be a fad to some but for others its the chance to own the car you've been waiting for.

Mahman
04-07-2006, 04:43 PM
with 3fast3 furious comming out think of how much there gonna rake in, and also the fatalities
"These cars are drifting!!"
"what do you mean drifting?"
"there much lighter, more powerful!!" lol

85regal
04-07-2006, 04:46 PM
i've driven both the gts and the gtr and the gts is far from being fast, and yes is a pain in the ass to drive, cant see when turning left...but the gtr is very quick...and just awesome handling but they are definately not worth all the hype...i would take a 240 with an sr20det any day over a skyline gts..

DannyO
04-07-2006, 11:03 PM
I was also wondering, whats with all the cars for sale on Beyond?

b_t
04-07-2006, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by DannyO
I was also wondering, whats with all the cars for sale on Beyond?

its total madness man
its like every car enthusiast in the city is selling his ride

dj_rice
04-07-2006, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by renegade54
if there is some sort of problem with these imported cars?? ( most likely from import concern.) iv heard ghost stories about people bringing in a car only to have the engine go right away and having to drop an extra bankroll just to get the shit rolling.

:confused: :confused:

Thats what happened with my friends car, bought a Pulsar GTi-R off Import Concern and 1 month later it broke down

4doorj
04-07-2006, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by b_t

its total madness man

maybe they might be trying to buy property with the crazy boom:confused:

kdwebber
04-07-2006, 11:28 PM
[i've driven both the gts and the gtr and the gts is far from being fast]

How come everyone hates on skylines? It seems that there are a lot of people out there who don't appreciate what these cars are all about. As for the gts-t being " far from fast" I don't believe that is true at all. What are you comparing them to? nsx? supra? yea if so then they are definetly slower than those cars. Lets just do some comparisons here. Faster than civic si: yes, prelude: yes, MkIV GTI: yes, acura rsx type s: yes corrado: yes. There are plenty more. Let us not forget that a gts-t has 215 hp and 195 ft/lbs torque and only weighs 2800 lbs or so. I'd take that any day over a civic or a lude. Not that those cars arn't nice but they just dont put out the same power and most importantly are not RWD. Not much out there that can touch a GTR.

Toms-SC
04-08-2006, 12:06 AM
Why do you think all of the Skylines are for sale? I can think of a couple

1) Its a phase
2) Its a phase and the kids did not do their homework on the cars
3) Its a phase and the cars are beat and require maintenance
4) Its a phase and maintenance requires money, which most younger drivers do not have
5) Its a phase and the cars are RHD, which means most young drivers cannot get a Wendy's JBC easily.
6) Did I mention it's a phase?

Toms-SC
04-08-2006, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by kdwebber

Not much out there that can touch a GTR.

:rolleyes: :rofl: They are peppy, but lets not lose touch here.

whitexboi69
04-08-2006, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Toms-SC

1) Its a phase
4) Its a phase and maintenance requires money, which most younger drivers do not have
5) Its a phase and the cars are RHD, which means most young drivers cannot get a Wendy's JBC easily.

hahahahah yeah damn ! how can u get to the pickup window!!

rc2002
04-08-2006, 01:09 AM
You drive in backwards. Duh.

tapout
04-08-2006, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
You drive in backwards. Duh. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: good 1

arian_ma
04-08-2006, 03:40 AM
I'd take reliability over your GTR anyday (ironic because my car has an oil leak but we'll ignore that for now), what're you going to do with all that power and that amazing handling that I can't do with my Honda? get to the speed limit faster and take those "crazy" corners on crowchild quick?
I understand it's an amazing machine, but 25k for a 15 year old nissan?
:dunno:

4bier
04-08-2006, 06:44 AM
its lke calgary housing people just buy em to flipem make a quick buck they usally sell for 5-6gs more

A790
04-08-2006, 09:26 AM

:rolleyes: :rofl: They are peppy, but lets not lose touch here.

280HP peppy.... yea.

b_t
04-08-2006, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by A790

280HP peppy.... yea.

they weigh about 3,500 pounds gassed up with driver and are slower then SRT-4s.

BigMass
04-08-2006, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by b_t

People forget that these are 16 year old cars now, and the Skylines they see in videos are far from "stock". It's like the people that see an AE86 drift video and think AE86s are the "shit", when in reality the only thing stock on those in the video is the frame. I'm sure a lot of people import these cars thinking they're going to be just one step away from driving a road legal F1 car. They're great cars, but some people need perspective.

andres_mt
04-08-2006, 12:06 PM
I think that stock skylines are very overated, however for the ones with a lot of performance mods and done up nice, that's a different story.

rage2
04-08-2006, 12:10 PM
I've owned and driven a lot of fast cars. Skyline GT-R's are overrated. Like any other car, when modded, it can be really fast. Stock wise, it felt a little faster than a 350Z.

A lot of guys buy the GT-R's, realize how much it cost to make it go fast, and decide to sell cuz they can't afford the mods. The entry price may be cheap, but the mod prices are pretty steep.

A790
04-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by b_t

I've driven stock Skylines and Stock SRT-4s... you can't even compare the two.

A790
04-08-2006, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by rage2
I've owned and driven a lot of fast cars. Skyline GT-R's are overrated. Like any other car, when modded, it can be really fast. Stock wise, it felt a little faster than a 350Z.

A lot of guys buy the GT-R's, realize how much it cost to make it go fast, and decide to sell cuz they can't afford the mods. The entry price may be cheap, but the mod prices are pretty steep.

I recommend the GTR if you've got about 15K to spend and don't want to mod the shit out of it. For a stock car it's comfortable, fast, and fun as hell.

sputnik
04-08-2006, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by 4bier
its lke calgary housing people just buy em to flipem make a quick buck they usally sell for 5-6gs more

Except in this case. If there are 15 of them on the market the sellers are going to have a tough time making their money back (unless they imported it on their own).

95EagleAWD
04-08-2006, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma

I understand it's an amazing machine, but 25k for a 15 year old nissan?
:dunno:

I blew 35K on a 15 year old Honda... :cry: D'oh! LHD at least though.

I've never been a big fan of Skylines. They can be quick cars, but I think they're kind of ugly, and just never caught the whole Skyline buzz.

To each their own, and I do enjoy seeing the Skylines out on the streets again.

TNSU/300ZX
04-08-2006, 03:38 PM
you dont have to pay 25k for a fast import car, i bought an 89" TT Fairlady, for 9K......it get's the job done on the fast side of things, And before anyone writes back and starts flameing me about how much they are to maintain, I KNOW ! I bought my 300 from Import Concern, they're awsome to deal with. Christian will tell you anything you need to know about all the cars, and the Auction Detail sheet's are pritty accurate. Anyone that buys one of these car's has to realize that they are 15+ years old, and have most likely been driven realy hard. oh yeah and Gts-T Skylines are fast, not GT-R fast, but quick none the less. my buddy has a moded out gts-t and it pulls crazy.:guns:

crXbuSit
04-08-2006, 04:24 PM

How come everyone hates on skylines? It seems that there are a lot of people out there who don't appreciate what these cars are all about. As for the gts-t being " far from fast" I don't believe that is true at all. What are you comparing them to? nsx? supra? yea if so then they are definetly slower than those cars. Lets just do some comparisons here. Faster than civic si: yes, prelude: yes, MkIV GTI: yes, acura rsx type s: yes corrado: yes. There are plenty more. Let us not forget that a gts-t has 215 hp and 195 ft/lbs torque and only weighs 2800 lbs or so. I'd take that any day over a civic or a lude. Not that those cars arn't nice but they just dont put out the same power and most importantly are not RWD. Not much out there that can touch a GTR.

:werd: modded gts-t's rip!

James
04-08-2006, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

Thats what happened with my friends car, bought a Pulsar GTi-R off Import Concern and 1 month later it broke down

:nut: ....ANY car can break down a month later , dosnt have to be RHD, he probably bagged the shit out of it, I had to replace the Spark Plugs/wires and distributor cap a month later after i bought my MR2, maybe i should Sue Import Concern and blame it on them :rolleyes:

dj_rice
04-08-2006, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by James

:nut: ....ANY car can break down a month later , dosnt have to be RHD, he probably bagged the shit out of it, I had to replace the Spark Plugs/wires and distributor cap a month later after i bought my MR2, maybe i should Sue Import Concern and blame it on them :rolleyes:

Actually no, he actually drives like a friggin granny so no hes never bagged it, but anywayz now he regrets ever buyin from Import Concern cuz now hes gotta fork over $1000+ to get it fixed

calgarys13
04-08-2006, 05:17 PM

Actually no, he actually drives like a friggin granny so no hes never bagged it, but anywayz now he regrets ever buyin from Import Concern cuz now hes gotta fork over $1000+ to get it fixed

well i hate to say it but your friends an idiot don't buy a car you can't afford to spend repairs on..import concern has had many happy customers and people like your friend seem to not realize your buying a 15 year old sports car..you can buy any car and have things go wrong, you just hafta deal with the cards your dealt

kdwebber
04-08-2006, 05:33 PM
[Skyline GT-R's are overrated]

Are we talking about the same car here guys? The Skyline GTR is arguably the best car ever manufactured by a japanese automaker. How could you not want one?

[they weigh about 3,500 pounds gassed up with driver and are slower then SRT-4s]

It is true that they are in the 3500 lb ballpark but the horsepower ratings for these cars @ 280 hp are extremly conservative. In reality these car put out somewhere close to 300 hp to the wheels and up to 330 to the wheels in the R34 GTR.
I highly doubt that a stock str-4 is faster than a stock GTR.

Toms-SC
04-08-2006, 09:50 PM

Are we talking about the same car here guys? The Skyline GTR is arguably the best car ever manufactured by a japanese automaker. How could you not want one?

It is true that they are in the 3500 lb ballpark but the horsepower ratings for these cars @ 280 hp are extremly conservative. In reality these car put out somewhere close to 300 hp to the wheels and up to 330 to the wheels in the R34 GTR.

You = GTFO & STFU

b_t
04-08-2006, 11:00 PM

You = GTFO & STFU

how could I not want one? They are UGLY cars, RHD, have a motor that was never available here in any shape or form (I have to overnight parts from japan!), and are heavy, so they are going to eat clutches and brakes too fast for me to really want to overnight them from Japan two or three times a year.

braden883314
04-08-2006, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by BigMass

People forget that these are 16 year old cars now, and the Skylines they see in videos are far from "stock". It's like the people that see an AE86 drift video and think AE86s are the "shit", when in reality the only thing stock on those in the video is the frame. I'm sure a lot of people import these cars thinking they're going to be just one step away from driving a road legal F1 car. They're great cars, but some people need perspective.

haha if you buy a stock car expect a stock car. Simple as that. Everyone wants a stock car and wants to mod it themself. If you want a race car, buy one, there are nicely modded cars far sale all the time in japan, and they can be amazing if you know how to shop for one. All stock imported cars are as just as boring as a stock car here, people seem to think they are really special.

Originally posted by James

:werd: Even if he didn't bag it.

I don't understand how that is Import Concern's fault. This could happen to any car, no matter where you bought it from. Your friend needed to be more aware of the cost involved with a GTi-R, the parts are not cheap to get. It doesn't sound like your friend did his research, A GTi-R forum is your friend here. What happen to the car? how did it break? Christian never heard about this.

Originally posted by calgarys13

well i hate to say it but your friends an idiot don't buy a car you can't afford to spend repairs on..import concern has had many happy customers and people like your friend seem to not realize your buying a 15 year old sports car..you can buy any car and have things go wrong, you just hafta deal with the cards your dealt

Exactly, most of Import Concern's customers buy a car unseen, they choose the car based on the information at hand, just like every other importer that sells unseen cars, this is why its cheaper to buy a unseen car. Research should be a huge part of buying a Imported car.

FiveFreshFish
04-08-2006, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by b_t

its total madness man

They're freeing up money to get a piece of the Calgary real estate boom.

I just might do the same. ;)

braden883314
04-08-2006, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by b_t

how could I not want one? They are UGLY cars, RHD, have a motor that was never available here in any shape or form (I have to overnight parts from japan!), and are heavy, so they are going to eat clutches and brakes too fast for me to really want to overnight them from Japan two or three times a year.

What are you talking about? Most motors were available here in some form. Lots of parts can be found here to, yes some parts are hard to find. Your DSM would be heavier than alot of them. Clutches wouldn't wear anymore than a car from here, same with brakes. Can you please explain how they are going to wear any faster than a car from here?

Regarding weight:
2G Talon/Eclipse - 2842 / 2906 2921 / 2998 [b]3157 / 3234ibs.(AWD T)[b] approx.

Skyline R32 GTS-T weight approx. 2911lbs.

PS13 2624lbs. approx.

Your car weighs more.

b_t
04-09-2006, 12:11 AM
We are talking skylines, no? GT-Rs, I thought. the RB motor was never available here, period. The guys at import concern told me as much themselves.

The GT-R weighs more then a TSi AWD by 100 pounds. The heavier your car is, the faster the clutch and brakes wear... simple physics there, plus it is an AWD car, so the clutch receives no mercy. You have no local options for replacement clutches, maybe some for brakes, but probably not. You have to order everything from Japan. If you track your car and wear through only three sets of brake pads in a year and one clutch, the shipping expense alone would be worth another clutch IF you could get the parts domestically... which you can't... and then what about unexpected problems?

A Skyline is a scary proposition to keep running year-round or even just over the summer.

braden883314
04-09-2006, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by b_t
We are talking skylines, no? GT-Rs, I thought. the RB motor was never available here, period. The guys at import concern told me as much themselves.

The GT-R weighs more then a TSi AWD by 100 pounds. The heavier your car is, the faster the clutch and brakes wear... simple physics there, plus it is an AWD car, so the clutch receives no mercy. You have no local options for replacement clutches, maybe some for brakes, but probably not. You have to order everything from Japan. If you track your car and wear through only three sets of brake pads in a year and one clutch, the shipping expense alone would be worth another clutch IF you could get the parts domestically... which you can't... and then what about unexpected problems?

A Skyline is a scary proposition to keep running year-round or even just over the summer.

the majority of people don't buy GTR's I didnt even look it up to be honest. and 100lbs. big deal. Nissan dealership here ship from Japan for free, you get the same price as a Japanese person. Like i said most engines were produced here, RB series being a exception. Look at how many people have bought them, there is enough parts around here that people can survive. It would be scary for someone who has not done thier research. This is the sort of stuff people need to look for. Not like RB26's are unheard of over here.

gp36912
04-09-2006, 12:46 AM
um... b_t how many times do you go to the track????? to wear through 3 brake pads and a clutch in a year...

Aleks
04-09-2006, 01:40 AM
Almost every skyline I see on the road is in rough shape. I myself don't get this RHD craze and would never own one but to each his own.

inline6turbo
04-09-2006, 03:07 AM
hmm ive never had any problems with parts, i got 300zx rotors, brakes and clutch all from autodream and anything special i get from brasso. no big deal.

but i would like to say one thing. if the GTR is nothing special then why was it just named on the top 10 ultimate sports cars of all time? it came in 7th but at least its on there. (im referring to the R34) Theyre not the fastest car in the world by any stretch of the imagination but the technolgy used in these cars was way beyond its time. what you guys are basically saying is speed is the ONLY thing that makes a car worthy of any praise, and thats a horrible thought.

having had the pleasure of owning a skyline i can say that i've never enjoyed a car more. for the price i paid i think i got my moneys worth and then some and i never regretted it for a moment. Ill miss it dearly. Including going backwards in drive thrus.

the reason i sold my car was because im going back to school in the fall (after having taken a year off) and im moving to saskatchewan. i heard that they dont even shovel the roads there when it snows. so i decided to buy a brand new car where i dont have to worry about rocks, snow, rust, whatever. on to bigger and better things.

once i graduate with my engineering degree and start making the $$ i fully intend on buying a R34 the second they become legal. Theyre the only gen that really is special anyways.

stop all the hatin!

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-09-2006, 03:28 AM
I would love to own a skyline... But it wouldn't be my daily driver... I would get fed up with RHD! My personal favorite to own would be a Supra :drool:
Unfortunately for me, I barely have the money to afford my civic... But once I make the real $$ when I'm done school... We'll see... :thumbsup:

inline6turbo
04-09-2006, 03:34 AM
well in all honesty the only time driving RHD is inconvenient is trying to pass on the highway. while owning the sky for over a year ive only had to boot fuck it across an intersection while trying to turn left once or twice, theres usually absolutely no problem with visabilty unless theres a bus doing the same thing on the other side, but even then, whats the harm in waiting until the light turns yellow and everyone stops? You quickly learn to adjust yourself to a different method of driving and it shortly becomes second nature. try it!

_wrx_
04-09-2006, 03:41 AM
i think of skylines more of a trend. or a fad. it is so commen no one wants them. well not no one but i bet alot of peopel are getting sick of paying for high gas prices at the pumps i drive a 240 with a sr20 and seems like im filling every couple days. its hard to keep these cars in tip top shape.

rage2
04-09-2006, 08:20 AM
This has proven to be not true. Stock skyline GT-R's only put out 280hp flywheel. That's all. Even on the R34. Of course, a simple boost controller would put the R34's into the 400's.

Originally posted by b_t
Actually, the R32 GT-R shares a lot of parts with the last gen 300ZX that we got here, so parts are readily available.

Mar
04-09-2006, 09:22 AM
My girlfriend's from New Zealand and she said all they have there is Japanese imports but she'd never ever ever ever buy one because of all the fraud. They're turning back the odometers on every second one of them, you can't trust it. She said she even saw them rolling them back on the boat on the way over there before they were being sold.

So that makes me weary of buying any Skyline, not knowing who did what to it in the last 15 years trying to make a buck.

Maxt
04-09-2006, 10:20 AM
Skyline is a great car with alot of heritage. The problem is the bottom of the end of the heap is getting imported..The Rb26dett is a great motor as well, with a great price tag to replace..
A decent used Rb26dett was going for 3000-3500 in the used parts shops in Japan, core motors going for 1500.00-2000 that needed rebuilding, and the rebuilds run 4500.00-5000.00 done properly in Japan, thats just the motor not installed.. Pretty expensive hardware.. That being said its mega tough in stock form, they will hold 750 rwhp on a stock internals with proper tune.
As for the power output , it depends on the gas, from running (healthy examples), a stock supra , a couple of r-33's and spirit R fd3s on dynapack, they will all make more power than rated, on 95(r+M), if you ran it on lesser fuel the ecu will pull timing and power down. All those cars were around or over 300rwhp bone stock. With basically all the same minor mods(boost up), all those cars end up around 370-420 rwhp..
Wrong side drive gets old, I drove LHD in Japan an it was a PITA..I didnt get use to it.. Some cars like RHD FD and FC, have the disadvantage of having the steering shaft take up realestate needed for the turbos, or downpipe, the lhd drive example can fit much larger exhaust and turbo easier.. RHD FD needs a big flat spot in the downpipe for steering shaft..
If I moved to a RHD country, it would be a fun car for sure..
The later examples are quite eye catching..

b_t
04-09-2006, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by gp36912
um... b_t how many times do you go to the track????? to wear through 3 brake pads and a clutch in a year...

only three track days... three sets of brakes. If you manage to get more then one track day on the same set of pads, you are slow.
clutch, I was just guessing, and going with what my buddy with a TSi AWD did in a year

soloracer
04-09-2006, 12:15 PM

Your description could apply to several other cars - 944 Turbos included ;)

sputnik
04-09-2006, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by soloracer
Your description could apply to several other cars - 944 Turbos included ;)

If rage2 couldnt afford that project he would have sold the car before modding it as well.

The difference is that rage2 has the money... most skyline fanboys do not.

finboy
04-09-2006, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Maxt
Skyline is a great car with alot of heritage. The problem is the bottom of the end of the heap is getting imported..The Rb26dett is a great motor as well, with a great price tag to replace..
A decent used Rb26dett was going for 3000-3500 in the used parts shops in Japan, core motors going for 1500.00-2000 that needed rebuilding, and the rebuilds run 4500.00-5000.00 done properly in Japan, thats just the motor not installed.. Pretty expensive hardware.. That being said its mega tough in stock form, they will hold 750 rwhp on a stock internals with proper tune.
As for the power output , it depends on the gas, from running (healthy examples), a stock supra , a couple of r-33's and spirit R fd3s on dynapack, they will all make more power than rated, on 95(r+M), if you ran it on lesser fuel the ecu will pull timing and power down. All those cars were around or over 300rwhp bone stock. With basically all the same minor mods(boost up), all those cars end up around 370-420 rwhp..
Wrong side drive gets old, I drove LHD in Japan an it was a PITA..I didnt get use to it.. Some cars like RHD FD and FC, have the disadvantage of having the steering shaft take up realestate needed for the turbos, or downpipe, the lhd drive example can fit much larger exhaust and turbo easier.. RHD FD needs a big flat spot in the downpipe for steering shaft..
If I moved to a RHD country, it would be a fun car for sure..
The later examples are quite eye catching..

pretty much sums it up

fendercontender
04-09-2006, 06:45 PM
people seem to forget the most important part of what makes a car fast is what's in the drivers seat. everyone likes to one up each other with who has the fastest car, doesn't do ya much good when you can't drive it. sure skylines are great if you have a driver who knows the car and can handle it, such as mr drift patrol who is a talented driver. iv also seen skylines with slower times than me in my barely modified tiny ass weak little toyota. even with the crappiest beater out there, you're never going to push it to it's limits on the streets of calgary. why the hell do you need a 280 hp awd? can you say overkill? unless of course you're taking it to the track, where you embarass yourself with your one forgotten modification : driver skills.

finboy
04-09-2006, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by fendercontender
people seem to forget the most important part of what makes a car fast is what's in the drivers seat. everyone likes to one up each other with who has the fastest car, doesn't do ya much good when you can't drive it. sure skylines are great if you have a driver who knows the car and can handle it, such as mr drift patrol who is a talented driver. iv also seen skylines with slower times than me in my barely modified tiny ass weak little toyota. even with the crappiest beater out there, you're never going to push it to it's limits on the streets of calgary. why the hell do you need a 280 hp awd? can you say overkill? unless of course you're taking it to the track, where you embarass yourself with your one forgotten modification : driver skills.

...280 hp isn't near enough :dunno:

fendercontender
04-09-2006, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by finboy

...280 hp isn't near enough :dunno:

for driving on the street?

A790
04-09-2006, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by fendercontender

for driving on the street?

It's never enough ;)

finboy
04-09-2006, 07:50 PM

It's never enough ;)

exactly

CryoCarnage
04-09-2006, 08:32 PM
:werd:
230 hp in my car and 250 torque.... I WANT MORE! im aiming for around 350 hp btw ;)

R-Audi
04-09-2006, 09:12 PM
I think what turns me off most of these cars is that they are basically headed to the junkyard in Japan because of their rules, and instead sold and brought over here. Then you move onto the modded rhd cars.. Its a car that has typically been bagged for 15 yrs, and not worthy for anyone in Japan to keep.. so they inturn ship them here and sell them for way more...
Thats not saying that all are bagged and were headed for a parts car or crusher, I have seen lots of imported cars in great shape, but you have to pay a premium for them.. not exactly a 15k supercar that people are lead to beleive...
And like anything else, you gotta pay to play!

kdwebber
04-09-2006, 09:14 PM
Ok guys, name a better handling, more powerful car for $15-20,000. You have to agree for the price you can't buy a better car. With all the hate towards this car you would almost think it was a Hyundai.

finboy
04-09-2006, 09:56 PM
Ok guys, name a better handling, more powerful car for $15-20,000. You have to agree for the price you can't buy a better car. With all the hate towards this car you would almost think it was a Hyundai.

modded there are many honda's in town who could make that power for half the price ;)

A790
04-09-2006, 11:39 PM

modded there are many honda's in town who could make that power for half the price ;)

Then you got a FWD torque monster :)

gp36912
04-09-2006, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by b_t

only three track days... three sets of brakes. If you manage to get more then one track day on the same set of pads, you are slow.
clutch, I was just guessing, and going with what my buddy with a TSi AWD did in a year

well it also depends on how many people there are on the track at the same time, because unless you are getting 30+ laps a track date, i really don't see it wearing so fast unless you are on a really twisty course with long fast straightaways, or you have really crappy brakes. i would suspect your tires to wear out before your brakes do.

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-09-2006, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by inline6turbo
well in all honesty the only time driving RHD is inconvenient is trying to pass on the highway. while owning the sky for over a year ive only had to boot fuck it across an intersection while trying to turn left once or twice, theres usually absolutely no problem with visabilty unless theres a bus doing the same thing on the other side, but even then, whats the harm in waiting until the light turns yellow and everyone stops? You quickly learn to adjust yourself to a different method of driving and it shortly becomes second nature. try it!

How can one try it... if one has no RHD to drive, and I'm not in the whole "buy it then see it" idea... If you would of lent me yours... :rolleyes:

A790
04-09-2006, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf

How can one try it... if one has no RHD to drive, and I'm not in the whole "buy it then see it" idea... If you would of lent me yours... :rolleyes:

Test drives are a new innovation in the used car market. It allows you to drive the car before you buy it, allowing you to make sure the decision you are going to make it the best one for you.

403Gemini
04-10-2006, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by inline6turbo
hmm ive never had any problems with parts, i got 300zx rotors, brakes and clutch all from autodream and anything special i get from brasso. no big deal.

but i would like to say one thing. if the GTR is nothing special then why was it just named on the top 10 ultimate sports cars of all time? it came in 7th but at least its on there. (im referring to the R34) Theyre not the fastest car in the world by any stretch of the imagination but the technolgy used in these cars was way beyond its time. what you guys are basically saying is speed is the ONLY thing that makes a car worthy of any praise, and thats a horrible thought.

having had the pleasure of owning a skyline i can say that i've never enjoyed a car more. for the price i paid i think i got my moneys worth and then some and i never regretted it for a moment. Ill miss it dearly. Including going backwards in drive thrus.

the reason i sold my car was because im going back to school in the fall (after having taken a year off) and im moving to saskatchewan. i heard that they dont even shovel the roads there when it snows. so i decided to buy a brand new car where i dont have to worry about rocks, snow, rust, whatever. on to bigger and better things.

once i graduate with my engineering degree and start making the $$ i fully intend on buying a R34 the second they become legal. Theyre the only gen that really is special anyways.

stop all the hatin!

true... however... on that list... the mazda miata was rated #2 ;) So much for usefulness of that top 10

kevie88
04-10-2006, 11:32 AM
^Miata's are fantastic cars, a real drivers car. Anyone who says a Miata sucks or is for girls is not a real sports car enthusiast in my books.

95EagleAWD
04-10-2006, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by kevie88
^Miata's are fantastic cars, a real drivers car. Anyone who says a Miata sucks or is for girls is not a real sports car enthusiast in my books.

... and has obviously never driven one, especially the later turbo models.

Miata = the autocross king! They're fantastic cars.

b_t
04-10-2006, 11:57 AM
Its just too bad mazda can't market it for shit

95EagleAWD
04-10-2006, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by b_t
Its just too bad mazda can't market it for shit

Kind of like Mitsu/Eagle with the AWD DSMs...

Rockski
04-10-2006, 12:15 PM

stop sniffing glue

a skyline is no better stock then half of the other cars on the market, but its the same deal with any car, you dump cash in and it goes faster

gp36912
04-10-2006, 12:39 PM
^^^^ thats the way the car world goes :D unless your paying out the ass for a car any stocker will be slow.

heavyD
04-10-2006, 12:43 PM
The older Skyline GTR's were great cars in their time but you can buy new cars that perform the same or better that don't look outdated and aren't RHD like the EVO & STi for example. We all know what it's like to be young and fantasize over something and when you get it you realize that it's not that great. This is part of what's happening. All of these owners are either teens or early 20's. They think RHD isn't that big a deal but eventually it wears thin especially if you are using it as a daily driver. Also they are on the wrong end of a fad much like 240's as in nobody outside of your circle really cares about an old, unnatractive car so you can't trade them in at a dealership & are really limited to a small market when you want/have to sell the car. Remember these importers aren't importing them as a favor to you, they are buying them for dirt cheap and making good profit off these kids that have been fawning over magazine articles.

IMO Nissan sold a better car in North America in the 90's and that's the 300ZX TT.

gp36912
04-10-2006, 12:47 PM
i still want the r34 :D either way.

soloracer
04-10-2006, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

If rage2 couldnt afford that project he would have sold the car before modding it as well.

The difference is that rage2 has the money... most skyline fanboys do not.

My post wasn't slam on Rage2 so don't get your knickers in a knot. It was an inside joke - take a look at the cars I own to see why.

finboy
04-10-2006, 02:30 PM

Then you got a FWD torque monster :)

bwahahahaha, we're still talking honda man, no torque, just fwd monster :rofl:

kdwebber
04-10-2006, 03:56 PM
[IMO Nissan sold a better car in North America in the 90's and that's the 300ZX TT.]

hahahahahahahahahaha:rofl:

The 300 ZX is an awesome car but it is rivaled by the GTR in all performance aspects.

rage2
04-10-2006, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by soloracer
My post wasn't slam on Rage2 so don't get your knickers in a knot. It was an inside joke - take a look at the cars I own to see why.
haha I think you have it worse than me, you have the 2 worse moneypits lol.

Maybe we should've bought skylines haha.

heavyD
04-10-2006, 04:06 PM

hahahahahahahahahaha:rofl:

The 300 ZX is an awesome car but it is rivaled by the GTR in all performance aspects.

Yeah but the 300ZX TT doesn't look like ass & has a nicer interior.:rolleyes:

finboy
04-10-2006, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Yeah but the 300ZX TT doesn't look like ass & has a nicer interior.:rolleyes:

although the 300 is a more attractive car, it has 2 huge downfalls against it...

engine bay and overall weight.

the weight isn't as big of an issue considering the power it put out but doing ANYTHING on a z car is a nightmare

heavyD
04-10-2006, 05:02 PM

although the 300 is a more attractive car, it has 2 huge downfalls against it...

engine bay and overall weight.

the weight isn't as big of an issue considering the power it put out but doing ANYTHING on a z car is a nightmare

What twin turbo V6 is easy to work on? 3000GT/Stealth guys have to put up with the same cramped engine bay.

Alpine Autowerks
04-10-2006, 06:56 PM
Not much out there that can touch a GTR.

A cayenne turbo is quicker around the ring than a GTR

2WheelnNfeelnIT
04-10-2006, 09:12 PM

1) Its a phase

Ha ha ha good post:rofl:
Anyway... yeah, those cars are way too old.

soloracer
04-10-2006, 09:22 PM

haha I think you have it worse than me, you have the 2 worse moneypits lol.

Maybe we should've bought skylines haha.

Nah, not a skyline. How about something more reliable - like an 80's Ferrari. Now wouldn't that finish my collection? Magnum P.I. here I come ;)

finboy
04-10-2006, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

What twin turbo V6 is easy to work on? 3000GT/Stealth guys have to put up with the same cramped engine bay.

for sure, i still remember trying to re-route bov's on a tt-z, my hands came out like they went through a cheese grater :(

Maxt
04-10-2006, 09:46 PM

for sure, i still remember trying to re-route bov's on a tt-z, my hands came out like they went through a cheese grater :(
Nihon sha niha chisa na te ga hitsuyou ...:)

finboy
04-10-2006, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Maxt

Nihon sha niha chisa na te ga hitsuyou ...:)

japanese to english translation of...

damn CDM cracker can't work on JDM car
hehe :D

Maxt
04-10-2006, 10:11 PM

japanese to english translation of...

hehe :D

haha...pretty damn close....;)

kdwebber
04-11-2006, 05:26 PM
[This has proven to be not true. Stock skyline GT-R's only put out 280hp flywheel. That's all. Even on the R34. Of course, a simple boost controller would put the R34's into the 400's.]

Well I never like to post without research so here it is:

I researched numerous dyno results for the Skyline GTR and this is what I came up with. The GTR stock will dyno anywhere from 285-320 hp at the wheels. This is far from the 280hp at the crank which you mentioned.

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/showthread.php?t=11584&highlight=stock+dyno

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/automotive/lifestyle/20047/

supaj87GTS
04-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Also Cuz they Buy Cheap and Sell High

AllGoNoShow
04-11-2006, 08:04 PM
For the people defending the brake wear comments on heavy cars.... My car is a tank, I think its 4,400lb's, more then most of the guys making the comments. I bought the car with a brand new set of brake pads and rotors 5'ish months ago, haven't even had a chance to goto the track with them as it is not open. Also had a brand new set of rubber on it.

The car makes NOT nearly enough power for its weight, I'm guessing 220ish, but won't know till dyno day. As of right now the rear tires would be considered, wroth replacing, to any trie shop as there is basically no tread left, and I am guessing the pads will last me another week or so now that its a little warmer, the rotors have been replaced. Thats WITH winter driving in factor. Now image harder driving, more fun, harder stopping when the roads are nicer, I can see myself burning through 3 seds of pads a year EASILY and my car doesn't make near the power or go as quick as some of the cars you guys are speaking of.

Hud
04-12-2006, 07:37 PM
well u guys just bummed me out cause I sold my srt-4 and just got a skyline o well I hated the fwd torque monster

Envitro
04-12-2006, 07:53 PM
If you think that an SRT-4 is going to smoke a Skyline GTR you're dreaming in happy land. That's just crazy.

Sure, maybe a heavily modified SRT-4 over a stock GTR and it's a close race.. Otherwise, not even close.

And yes, anyone that imports a car without expecting to spend at least 15% of the actual cost of the car on repairs is naive. I imported my MR2 myself, and the auction sheet was great. I even got the exporter to do an inspection on the engine/tranny and everything came back allright.

I still ended up buying a new distributor cap/rotor, wires, and plugs, as well as about $600 worth of other maintenance. That's not even talking about the $4000 of other (planned) upgrades that I've spent on the car. If you know what you're getting yourself into you'll be fine.

theken
04-12-2006, 08:42 PM

Actually no, he actually drives like a friggin granny so no hes never bagged it, but anywayz now he regrets ever buyin from Import Concern cuz now hes gotta fork over $1000+ to get it fixed haha only a thousand, wow general maintance on any 15 year old car will require maintnance, mine has costed roughly 5 grand in repairs, but was kinda prepared for that, the injector caught me off gaurd but if u cant afford to fix it dont buy it

Sorath
04-21-2006, 02:23 AM
stock vs stock srt and gtr they`re pretty close, ive seen a stock srt4 run a 13.7 at race city... thats about what stock gtr's run, its really driver

gp36912
04-21-2006, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
For the people defending the brake wear comments on heavy cars.... My car is a tank, I think its 4,400lb's, more then most of the guys making the comments. I bought the car with a brand new set of brake pads and rotors 5'ish months ago, haven't even had a chance to goto the track with them as it is not open. Also had a brand new set of rubber on it.

The car makes NOT nearly enough power for its weight, I'm guessing 220ish, but won't know till dyno day. As of right now the rear tires would be considered, wroth replacing, to any trie shop as there is basically no tread left, and I am guessing the pads will last me another week or so now that its a little warmer, the rotors have been replaced. Thats WITH winter driving in factor. Now image harder driving, more fun, harder stopping when the roads are nicer, I can see myself burning through 3 seds of pads a year EASILY and my car doesn't make near the power or go as quick as some of the cars you guys are speaking of.

hahaha thats true but based on the gtrs weight which is lighter than yours you won't go through them that quickly. especially you won't have to brake as much with the skylines awd and its hicas.