PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recommend an Interior Designer in Calgary?

black_2.5RS
04-09-2006, 11:21 PM
We have a condo that we are thinking of selling in the next couple of months and are willing to sink a couple of bucks of improvements in order to increase the selling price. I don't have a lot of money budgeted for this kinda thing - so free advice is best (of course).

Does anyone know if there is some kind of interior design student club or something in University or College that can provide free or cheap advice? I know when I was going to Business School, we had to find real businesses to do our case studies on, talk with mgmt, etc. Hoping there is something similar for other degree programs.

~Leah~
04-09-2006, 11:33 PM
ACAD?

frozenrice
04-09-2006, 11:34 PM
This part won't help you much, but it's more of a heads up. Almost all (not all, but most) interior decorators that I know of don't have a clue about cost control or the project management skills to get a job done on time and on budget. They get defensive when you say something negative about their work and take it personally. I've never used one, but have dealt with enough of them in my field of work to not care for them too much. Just be careful of who you pick otherwise you'll end up unsatisfied.

Try calling Mt. Royal college as I understand they have an interior design program. They might be able to point you in the right direction. Try also looking up the yellow pages under window coverings as most interior designers make most of their living off of blinds and crap. Rule of thumb for this (in my opinion) is the less showy and expensive looking their showroom/store/shop/office is, the more likely they have a budget conscious mind.

ZorroAMG
04-10-2006, 04:51 PM
Go to With the Times, get some design magazines and Wallpaper magazine and do it yourself. It's not that hard if you take your time to pick the proper finishing/colors....i do all my own interior design on all my properties and they have been very successful.

Lex350
04-10-2006, 10:34 PM
I work as a commercial Interior designer (14 years)...pm me your questions if you like

Oh..and there is a difference betwwen an interior decorator and a Interior designer. Decorators do not have any kind of certification or neeed any formal schooling.

There are a couple of easy things you can do yourself to make the place look better in a hurry....for not a lot of money.

Gondi Stylez
04-10-2006, 10:59 PM
i can try and help you out. I am not an interior designer but that is one of my hobbies and most recently i designed my parents home (all phases, structrue, layout, color, furnishings, etc.) and have given serious advise to a few other home owners... PM me... i can also send u some pictures of my "work"....

I have good design taste and am able to take the owners needs and wants into account to come up with functional spaces....

dragonone
04-11-2006, 08:30 AM
post up some pics!
i'm just starting in this area of hobbies

frostyda9
04-11-2006, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
get some design magazines and Wallpaper magazine

"You know how I know you're gay....."

:D I'm just kidding....it is a good idea in reality. It just feels really awkward to browse through those types of magazines at the rack. Like Bob Dylan said though....

Lex350
04-12-2006, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by frostyda9

:D I'm just kidding....it is a good idea in reality. It just feels really awkward to browse through those types of magazines at the rack. Like Bob Dylan said though....

you can always try looking for their sites on-line

ZorroAMG
04-12-2006, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by frostyda9

LOL cause I care what others think....who's laughing all the way to the bank with all his flip money? Not the homophobe reading Sport Comcrap Car, that's for sure.

Gondi Stylez
04-12-2006, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by dragonone
post up some pics!
i'm just starting in this area of hobbies

was that directed to me?!?! or black_2.5rs

black_2.5RS
04-12-2006, 10:14 PM
Ok. Posted up some pics of some of the problem areas in the condo.

Let me know what you think.

http://ca.geocities.com/black_25rs/photopagetan.html

Celica TVS3
04-13-2006, 12:49 AM
Where is your condo? How much do you reasonably think it's worth? and How much do you want to spend?

It will all depend on how much return you feel your upgrades will fetch. If you have a dated looking condo in a building with a recently renoed lobby near the core, it would wise to invest more than if you lived in a rough building in the heart of Forrest Lawn.

It also depends on your DIY skills. But this is what I would do.

Paint
Put a door on utility room
Redo the counter tops
Full height tile backsplash in the kitchen
Reface cabinets with new doors & handles/knobs.
Put in new high MDF (cheaper) baseboards and window casings
Handrails are pretty expensive and probably not worth the cost

Also, what does your flooring look like?

As for style take ZorroAMGs advice and flip through some magazines and get a sense of whats instyle. Then copy it.

dezinr
04-13-2006, 01:29 AM
The only thing I would be careful about is copying ideas directly from a magazine. For starters you are copying another person's style which may not be what a buyer is looking for. You want people to be drawn in to the appeal of the place, giving them a glimmer of the potential to bring their own style in without having to start from scratch.

You can be contemporary but try to keep the idea flexible so that the potential buyer can easily adapt the spaces to suit their likes. Again you know what you like but it may not be what a future buyer likes.

Celica TVS3 had some good ideas of inexpensive and effective ways to bring the look up to date. Be cautious with painting as too often people can go color crazy. Yes taupes are safe and found in most new homes in Calgary but don't be afraid to use some color to. If you would like some input on colors to use let me know. I've had some training in color theory from a colleague who is a well known instructor on color and its use.

I've also done some work for a fellow beyond member on their previous home as well as their current one. I've also just finished a personal fitness studio in the south as well.

Some other good magazines are DWELL and Canadian Interiors (good for a regional context).

PM me if you want a quick consultation and I can give you some info on my background.

Cheers.

Lex350
04-13-2006, 08:59 AM
Kitchen and bath renos will always give you the biggest returns so those are the places to start.

1) Paint - something you can do yourself that will update the place.

2) Light fixtures - many people forget to do this. It can really change the look of the place. Big returns for little investment. Get creative with this if possible. If you have some tight spaces, consider using up-lighting with wall sconces for example. They have a way of making a space look bigger. Mix the type of lighting. Use incandescent as well as halogen. Both give of a different kind of light Halogen gives a much whiter light so don't use it in the bathroom.
3) At the very least, change the pulls on the cabinets. There is a place on Edmonton Trail near 40th ave (Can't remember the name at the moment) that sells all kinds of cabinet hardware.

4) If you don't want to replace the handrail, then paint it and see if you can get a wood top-cap made for it.

5) If you have the budget replace the bathroom cabinet - go to Ikea if you want to save money. Depending on the storage in the washroom and space, you can save money and go to a pedestal sink with a separate storage cabinet.

6) Flooring - you have to do something about the flooring. I would put tile down or laminate flooring. Both of these things are not hard to do yourself. Home depot and Rona have classes on how to do this. You can get some great looking ceramic tile as these places that go for under $2.00 per square foot. Remember to put a sealer on the tile.

7) You don't show any pics of this but look at the ceiling. Are there are discolorations? If there is you must paint your ceiling. Nobody will buy your place with stains on the ceiling.

8) Change the counter-top. Pick something with a good contrast to the white cabinets. If you have budget, replace the cabinet doors. Maybe even include a glass door on one of the cabinets for a feature.

9) Close off the hot water heater. I would use a sliding door over a bi-fold with that confined space.

10) I would stay neutral on the color of paint. You are trying to sell so if you go bold you might know out many prospective buyers.

11) Refinish the baseboards - Keep them consistent throughout the space. I would stay away from an MDF baseboard. To be cost effective you would need to use a less dense MDF which would mean that they would dent and chip easier.

12) You don't show a picture of the sink and tap. At the very least consider putting in a different tap

These are places to start.

Once you do these, then next consider what sits in the space. If you have worn out furniture, it is better to get rid of it than keep it there when showing the place and Take away all the clutter.

Not knowing your budget makes if difficult to say how to attack this. I would put in $5000 min.

Gondi Stylez
04-13-2006, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by rotten42
Kitchen and bath renos will always give you the biggest returns so those are the places to start.

1) Paint - something you can do yourself that will update the place.

2) Light fixtures - many people forget to do this. It can really change the look of the place. Big returns for little investment. Get creative with this if possible. If you have some tight spaces, consider using up-lighting with wall sconces for example. They have a way of making a space look bigger. Mix the type of lighting. Use incandescent as well as halogen. Both give of a different kind of light Halogen gives a much whiter light so don't use it in the bathroom.
3) At the very least, change the pulls on the cabinets. There is a place on Edmonton Trail near 40th ave (Can't remember the name at the moment) that sells all kinds of cabinet hardware.

4) If you don't want to replace the handrail, then paint it and see if you can get a wood top-cap made for it.

5) If you have the budget replace the bathroom cabinet - go to Ikea if you want to save money. Depending on the storage in the washroom and space, you can save money and go to a pedestal sink with a separate storage cabinet.

6) Flooring - you have to do something about the flooring. I would put tile down or laminate flooring. Both of these things are not hard to do yourself. Home depot and Rona have classes on how to do this. You can get some great looking ceramic tile as these places that go for under $2.00 per square foot. Remember to put a sealer on the tile.

7) You don't show any pics of this but look at the ceiling. Are there are discolorations? If there is you must paint your ceiling. Nobody will buy your place with stains on the ceiling.

8) Change the counter-top. Pick something with a good contrast to the white cabinets. If you have budget, replace the cabinet doors. Maybe even include a glass door on one of the cabinets for a feature.

9) Close off the hot water heater. I would use a sliding door over a bi-fold with that confined space.

10) I would stay neutral on the color of paint. You are trying to sell so if you go bold you might know out many prospective buyers.

11) Refinish the baseboards - Keep them consistent throughout the space. I would stay away from an MDF baseboard. To be cost effective you would need to use a less dense MDF which would mean that they would dent and chip easier.

12) You don't show a picture of the sink and tap. At the very least consider putting in a different tap

These are places to start.

Once you do these, then next consider what sits in the space. If you have worn out furniture, it is better to get rid of it than keep it there when showing the place and Take away all the clutter.

Not knowing your budget makes if difficult to say how to attack this. I would put in $5000 min.

exactly what i was thinking! although depending on ur budget the kitchen cabinets can also be chnages at rona for a a pretty decent price. just take all ur measurements and they will quote u something. i would leave the handrail as is because a wood cap will look weird and chnaging it would be costly money. as said above to not overlook lighting. as u said the coutertops need to be replaced and that can be done with laminate but DO NOT go with tile that is not a coutertop worth having. for mhy basement bathroom i went to home depot and pick up a cabinet and sink combined for 150. not you could look at something like that for yours and maybe ad some more sheveling or do the pedestal idea and get a spearyte storage shelf. also all ur faucets and shower heads etc. will need to be changed. i think over all in my basement bathroom i spend 1000 +/-. that included everything besides the standing shower and my floor is tile and i have the vac pac system. so $$ wise it isnt that expensive if u go to plaves like home depot and rona and wait for their sales... always have them! good luck!

murrayskeeter
04-23-2010, 02:15 AM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

Jonel
04-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by murrayskeeter
You might to ask around the interior design schools (http://www.schoolofinteriordesign.org/more-articles/interior-design-schools-canada.html) within Calgary. Maybe they have the connections to the designers you are looking for. May some of the professors there could hook you up.

lol ... 2006

911fever
04-23-2010, 01:47 PM
She's an amazing designer especially when it comes to surfaces and finishing techniques, I really recommend her:
http://fauxdesigns.ca/index.html

ExtraSlow
03-10-2012, 01:16 PM
Bump for new recommendations. A student of interior design would be fine. mostly, we're having trouble picking paint colours. The house is all in neutrals, and we could use some more bold paint.

heavyfuel
03-10-2012, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by black_2.5RS
free advice is best (of course).

Does anyone know if there is some kind of interior design student club or something in University or College that can provide free or cheap advice? ]

Why is everybody so far on the grind for every God damned thing these days? It's so frustrating to deal with... just saying....

ExtraSlow
03-10-2012, 09:33 PM
The internet has taught us that most things can be had for free, thus most things have no value.

Anyway, I'm not saying that I'm not willing to pay. I was just saying that my project it pretty simple, and doesn't require any fancy faux finishes or anything.