PDA

View Full Version : ANy electronics junkies out there? LCD in Case

Thaco
04-10-2006, 10:41 AM
Hey there, i was hoping i could get some help, i wanted to make my sin a PC that has an lcd built into the side panel so he can just have the computer sideways on his desk looking at the side of the case with the LCD in it.

It will likely be http://www.memoryexpress.com/index.php?PageTag=&page=file&memx_menu=EmbedProductDetail.php&DisplayProductID=7631&SID=

That LCD because it'd the chespest i could find, anyways, i was hoping someone could help me try to figure this out. i would like to, if possible wire this into the computers PSU so i can avoid having the big power block. that would essentially make the computer portable, unplug the power cord, mouse and keyboard, throw it under your arm and go...

i don't know about power consumtion, volts, watts all that stuff, and i don't wanna blow anything up... would i be able to just run a 12v from the PSU to the lcd without the block( i assume all the power block does is convert it from 110VAC to 12VDC)? or is it more complicated than that?

djayz
04-10-2006, 10:50 AM
i think it should be fine running it to your PSU your just gonna need a large PSU 1000+ Watts and it should be okay

cool idea :thumbsup:

ricosuave
04-10-2006, 10:51 AM
why not just get a laptop?

Thaco
04-10-2006, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by ricosuave
why not just get a laptop? because i am getting a free PC.

Thaco
04-10-2006, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by djayz
i think it should be fine running it to your PSU your just gonna need a large PSU 1000+ Watts and it should be okay

cool idea :thumbsup:

why would i need a 1000+ watt psu? the specs on the monitor says 25 watts tunred on.

i may have to look into a different one anyways, it says this one has a build in PSU... on samsungs site.

Xtrema
04-10-2006, 11:09 AM
I think it's stupid because having a tower on the desk means you have stand up and reach over to access optial drives or anything on the front panel.

And last thing I want to see on the desk is cable and exhaust coming out of the side.

hussein
04-10-2006, 11:16 AM
Put the block inside the case and then just have the outlet for the block at the back of the case and plug in an additional power cord to it.
Put your wireless keyboard and mouse receiver inside the box, less things to carry around.

Thaco
04-10-2006, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by hussein
Put the block inside the case and then just have the outlet for the block at the back of the case and plug in an additional power cord to it.
Put your wireless keyboard and mouse receiver inside the box, less things to carry around. that is the next best thing, but if i could avoice the block all together i'd be much happier, also then it'd only take 1 plug in for the pc and thats it.

the wireless mouse and keyboard thing wouldn't sork so well because wireless mice dont tend to last too long without charging.

Thaco
04-10-2006, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
I think it's stupid because having a tower on the desk means you have stand up and reach over to access optial drives or anything on the front panel.

And last thing I want to see on the desk is cable and exhaust coming out of the side.

its for my 4 year old kid, we dont have room for a desk for him so it'll be on a small 2'x3' table, needs to be as compact as possible without being a laptop.

handsomebassman
04-10-2006, 12:32 PM
This sounds like kindof a silly idea, unless portability is a HUGE issue. The thing will weigh a friggin ton, still be huge, and it would definatly be best to just hide the tower and put the flat panel on the desk. Trying to custom mount a 15" screen into the side of a "free" computer is an interesting idea, but probably will take a long time, not look fantastic in the end, and just really isnt such a GReat idea.

And like Xtrema said, the last thing you want to do is have cables wires and hot exhaust comin out the side, as it would look kinda shitty.

Thaco
04-10-2006, 01:02 PM
i don't care what it looks like, its about the compact size mroe than anythign else, i didn't ask for critisism i asked for help, if you are just gonna knock my idea then dont post. Thank you.

On another note..

i just found out that the monitor i may be using will have a draw of 25Watts 4amps and 12vdc... is it ok if the amps supplied is mroe than required? the power supply supplys 10 amps, but the monitor only requries 4. is this okay or will i fry soemthing?

kaput
04-10-2006, 01:11 PM

sputnik
04-10-2006, 01:19 PM
Why dont you just get an iMac and install XP on it? Then at least you get a 20" widescreen LCD.

:dunno:

http://www.apple.com/ca/imac/

Thaco
04-10-2006, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by kaput
I'm not sure how you intend to do this, ie. somehow screwing the monitor to the outside of the case or actually cutting the sheetmetal and mounting it flush. If you plan on doing the latter, you may also need to add a lot more cooling to the system. I'm not the guy to give specific advice but I know my monitor throws a fair amount of heat out the back and I sure wouldn't want it going into an already hot computer box. The volume it would take up inside the case would also have a nasty effect on the airflow.

Maybe look and see if its possible to get the screen from a used laptop since its much thinner and makes less heat, and if it's possible to connect that to a desktop somehow. i've looked into that and they are very diffcult to get a contreoller to conver it to VGA.. i intent to disect the lcd and mount just the panel and backlight flush with the side of the case on the inside, and perhaps a peice of plexi infront of it (its for the kid, he has hit everythign else with crayons. dont wnat him to wreck the LCD) and i have thought of cooling, i'll have 2-3 12mm case fans, noise and looks are not really an issue, its more about the funchtionality and compactability. And with LCD's its generally the power block (or if the psu is built in to the monitor) thatis what usualy causes heat, not the monitor its self.

My other concern is the hard drives, since they contain magnets, i'd hope they would be far enough to not effect the lcd.

Thaco
04-10-2006, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
Why dont you just get an iMac and install XP on it? Then at least you get a 20" widescreen LCD.

:dunno:

http://www.apple.com/ca/imac/ are you a retard? Have you read any of the posts?

Xtrema
04-10-2006, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Thaco

its for my 4 year old kid, we dont have room for a desk for him so it'll be on a small 2'x3' table, needs to be as compact as possible without being a laptop.

So how is your idea space saving?

Tower width = 1' VS LCD = 6"

Are you telling me that you can't even spare 1' next to the table to place the tower on the floor?

And how is it safe that having all the cord connections (including power) exposed to a 4 year old on a desk?

I understand that integrating is cool but your logic of trying to do this beside the coolness escape me.

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-10-2006, 02:19 PM
i saw this a few years ago... it was made for LAN parties... it was a tower... you slid off one side and tucked inside the panel was the keyboard/mouse/wiring, and on the side of the tower was the screen, quit innovative

cityhunter2501
04-10-2006, 02:19 PM
whats the case going to be?

I''ve seen a mod like this a year ago

Thaco
04-10-2006, 02:33 PM

So how is your idea space saving?

Tower width = 1' VS LCD = 6"

Are you telling me that you can't even spare 1' next to the table to place the tower on the floor?

And how is it safe that having all the cord connections (including power) exposed to a 4 year old on a desk?

I understand that integrating is cool but your logic of trying to do this beside the coolness escape me.

I don't want opinions, i want answers to my questions, if i wanted opinions i would have asked for them!

I don't have to explain myself, this is somethign i want to so, i don't care if you like it, i don't care if you agree with it, i just want a few simple questions answered.

djayz
04-10-2006, 02:47 PM
i know you dont want opinions or options
but have you looked at the cube computers? they are fairly small and you could just put the monitor on top of it and use it as a stand...

Thaco
04-10-2006, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by djayz
i know you dont want opinions or options
but have you looked at the cube computers? they are fairly small and you could just put the monitor on top of it and use it as a stand... i am getting a free PC that is the only reason i am even considering this.

cosmok
04-11-2006, 09:49 AM
i am getting a free PC that is the only reason i am even considering this.
Look for a LCD that has a built in power inverter, most new ones do now. I'll take a picture of my 19" for you, it takes up almost no room at all.

Thaco
04-11-2006, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by cosmok

Look for a LCD that has a built in power inverter, most new ones do now. I'll take a picture of my 19" for you, it takes up almost no room at all. thanks i was trying to avoid using 2 wall sockets. and the ones with external power supplies are MUCH thinner.

sputnik
04-11-2006, 11:14 AM
thanks i was trying to avoid using 2 wall sockets. and the ones with external power supplies are MUCH thinner.

How many watts is the power supply on your free computer? I would be worried if it was under 500W.

Whats the big deal with using 2 wall sockets?

Xtrema
04-11-2006, 11:35 AM
thanks i was trying to avoid using 2 wall sockets. and the ones with external power supplies are MUCH thinner.

Almost imposible as with the model you mention above and 90% of LCD panels out ther are brick less. So you'll have to do some deconstruction and soldering if you want to connect directly to the PSU (voiding your warranty of course)

What don't you look for old working laptop displays instead destroying a perfectly good monitor.

hussein
04-11-2006, 11:44 AM
You are making way too much trouble for your self by just saving one wall socket. Buy a power strip and glue or tape it to your computer and then plug the computer and screen into that, and then connect the power strip to the wall. It's probably safer for your equipment this way too.

Thaco
04-11-2006, 12:42 PM

Almost imposible as with the model you mention above and 90% of LCD panels out ther are brick less. So you'll have to do some deconstruction and soldering if you want to connect directly to the PSU (voiding your warranty of course)

What don't you look for old working laptop displays instead destroying a perfectly good monitor. its not that easy you need a vga converter board and all kinds of expensive stuff to use a laptop display, i have researched that.

I did have an old 15" ibm lcd that i had dissassembled for another project but i fear it may have hit the dumpster on my last purge :P

Oh well, i'm not sure how i'm going to do this, but i am sure i'll figure something out, i just want it to be as integrated as possible. I realise it will be a lot of work, and i am prepared for that.

cosmok
04-11-2006, 09:00 PM
Here you go, it measures in at 4.4 cm from the front of the screen to the rear housing. If you are able to find a older brick power'd LCD, you would be able to determine the voltage required by it (out put from external power inverter) and its its 12V you should be able to run it off a 500W psu. Most video cards in SLI would tax the psu more.