PDA

View Full Version : M Roadster

92 Teg-B18A
03-24-2003, 04:08 PM
Saw a nice red M Roadster (M coupe version of the Z3) today driving downtown! It looks pretty good actually. I've never seen one in person before. Very nice car.

kaput
03-24-2003, 06:08 PM

XylathaneGTR
03-24-2003, 06:13 PM
Teg, Does the plate say EDUK8ED or something along those lines? If so, i see it all the time, At work always...
Not sure on the specs tho, their not so bad IMO...

szw
03-24-2003, 06:16 PM
Looks like a big shoe.

Albeit a nice shoe.

Glowrider
03-24-2003, 08:27 PM
Someone at the end of my street drives a red MZ. What are the specs on them, I've never really heard of them before.

There is no such car as the "MZ". There's the M-Coupe, and the Z3 Coupe. The M-Coupe is basically a Z3 Coupe with the M3 engine.

D'z Nutz
03-24-2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Glowrider

There is no such car as the "MZ". There's the M-Coupe, and the Z3 Coupe. The M-Coupe is basically a Z3 Coupe with the M3 engine.

:werd: And, as well, the M-Roadster and the Z3 Roadster. I actually never even heard of the Z3 coupe until this thread! When did they start coming out?

Glowrider
03-24-2003, 08:48 PM
Yeah, I hadn't heard of them either untill I saw one a couple months ago in Miami. My guess is that they didn't sell to well, that's why you don't see a lot of them on the road. Either case they are out of production a long with the Z3.

kaput
03-24-2003, 08:51 PM

Glowrider
03-24-2003, 08:58 PM
I thought there was a thing on the back that said MZ

Probably just another M poser. Oh well.

FiveFreshFish
03-24-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by kaput

Thats the one I'm talking about on my street. I thought there was a thing on the back that said MZ. I've only ever seen it passing by, so it could have easily been a 3 rather than a Z.
Some people put an ///M badge in front of the Z3 badge. They figure it's OK just because they have the sport suspension, M steering wheel, or an M shift knob.

Originally posted by Glowrider
Yeah, even the dealers incorrectly refer to it as the MZ.

edit: fixed quote source (Glowrider)

Glowrider
03-24-2003, 09:17 PM
Yeah, even the dealers incorrectly refer to it as the MZ.

Yeah, to many CA's are idiots. You figure, if their selling BMW's, they would know BMW's. Such is not the case. There's a dealership around here, and one of the guys told me there is no such thing as an E39 5-series.

I asked "Do you have any E39 M5's on the lot?" (before I bought the M3)

He replied..."Uh...this isn't a Mercedes dealership"

This leads me to conclude that CA's aren't there to provide tech support, but rather to sell you a car. Then again, they should atleast know the names of the cars they are selling.

If I had a BMW dealership, all of my CA's would know every BMW inside and out.

kaput
03-24-2003, 09:18 PM

Glowrider
03-24-2003, 09:20 PM
It's definately a Z3 Coupe.

FiveFreshFish
03-24-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by kaput

I think that's probably what it is, it's been awhile since I saw it. I think it's a hardtop too, though again it's been awhile since I saw it. I'm not sure if that help's ID it.

The M-Coupe / M-Roadster both have a little ///M badge on its right rear, but no "Z" anywhere.

Easiest way to tell from the back is to see if it has two pairs of tailpipes. The M-Coupe / M-Roadster also have special rearview and sideview mirrors, different side vents, and wider stance.

RiceCake
03-25-2003, 01:35 AM
I've only spotted 2 M-coupes in Calgary, but I've seen quite a few of the M-roadsters. Very nice car, and from what I hear, the new ones can hold their weight against the AMG SLK. :)

buh_buh
03-25-2003, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by szw
Looks like a big shoe.

Albeit a nice shoe. that's an M coupe, not M roadster

Glowrider
03-25-2003, 02:08 AM
from what I hear, the new ones can hold their weight against the AMG SLK.

They are pretty evenly matched cars. I think the SLK32 AMG has it over the M Roadster in the 1/4. But in the turns the M Roadster comes out on top. A lot of reviewers disliked the fact that the SLK32 AMG is only available with automatic, also.

rage2
03-25-2003, 09:48 AM
I'm willing to put money on the SLK 32 on a roadcourse against an M Roadster (S54 315hp version) :D.

I've driven Z3's and M Roadsters before, and they are not your typical BMW handling machines (unless you read magazines). Very confident that the SLK is better around the corners.

I haven't raced an M Roadster down the straight before, but judging from the power to weight ratio, the benz has an edge.

I'm waiting for a certain someone to buy "the shoe" so I can race him :D.

Altezza
03-25-2003, 12:16 PM
My old boss had an M Roadster w/ Dinan supercharger. Off the line, you can lift the front wheels off the ground. He gave that car to his wife to drive. :nut:

Glowrider
03-25-2003, 01:33 PM
Yeah, down in Miami there's a guy with a turbo M-Coupe putting down like 600 rwhp.

www.aatuning.com

bol
03-25-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by rage2

I'm waiting for a certain someone to buy "the shoe" so I can race him :D.

mmm shoecar

92 Teg-B18A
03-25-2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by XylathaneGTR
Teg, Does the plate say EDUK8ED or something along those lines? If so, i see it all the time, At work always...
Not sure on the specs tho, their not so bad IMO...
I think it might have been it, I didn't get a real good look at it though.

Originally posted by buh_buh
that's an M coupe, not M roadster
yeah that's the one I saw, the one that looks like a shoe lol