PDA

View Full Version : Can you change Optima battery terminal sizes?

topher91
04-11-2006, 11:49 AM
Sooo I just bought an Optima battery and the terminals are too big for my JDM battery terminal connections.

Now there are side terminals as well on it that you can screw something in, is there a part that I can buy that will screw into that so it will be another battery terminal??

Thanks for the the help,

Chris

GTS Jeff
04-11-2006, 12:00 PM
Replace your JDM terminals with SAE ones. You can buy them at any auto parts store for under $5.

topher91
04-11-2006, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Replace your JDM terminals with SAE ones. You can buy them at any auto parts store for under $5.

Does it involve soldering? if so then forget it!! But if its just like crimping that's ok.

Chris

jdmakkord
04-11-2006, 12:21 PM
Or head to a stereo shop, and buy terminals, they have allen heads that tighten down on bare wire, so no soldering.

topher91
04-11-2006, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord
Or head to a stereo shop, and buy terminals, they have allen heads that tighten down on bare wire, so no soldering.

What do you mean "allen heads"? How will that hook up to battery terminals?

Thanks,

Chris

jdmakkord
04-11-2006, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by topher91

What do you mean "allen heads"? How will that hook up to battery terminals?

Thanks,

Chris

There are terminals that have multiple holes in them, that you insert stripped wire into, then tighten a screw of some sort to fasten the wire in. These work great if you have other stuff to wire up like a stereo, fog lights, etc.

topher91
04-11-2006, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord

There are terminals that have multiple holes in them, that you insert stripped wire into, then tighten a screw of some sort to fasten the wire in. These work great if you have other stuff to wire up like a stereo, fog lights, etc.

Where can I get this? This sounds like a good solution.

Chris

djayz
04-11-2006, 12:39 PM
^
alot of stereo shops have them
canadian tire...walmart and most part stores have something similar too
they also carry the ones you crimp ...

check princess auto tho i remember seeing some there for 50 cents